A poll to convince my a**hole boyfriend he's wrong

Options

Replies

• Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    You'd lose 100+ lbs. today if you two broke up. That's assuming that your A-hole boyfriend is more than 100 lbs, but you know what they say about *kitten*|U|ME-ing things...

Good luck in your fitness goals! :drinker:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible, is it smart? No. Is it healthy? No. Just maintain a caloric deficit and shoot for no more than 1% body weight lost per week and you'll be fine.
  • VixenInTraining
    Options
    Just break up.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I didn't read more than the first page, I admit it. But I'll say this and if I am not the first person to do so, then my apologies..

If your total weight loss is 100 pounds, and if losing 100 pounds leaves you at a 25 - 30% ish body fat percentage... then I will say hell no. NO WAY. Not possible.

You may lose the first 40 pounds rapidly and make great progress by working out a lot and starving yourself. He would cheer you and say "see! I told you it was possible!"

But weight loss is NOT linear.
    And pounds 40 - 60 will come off a lot slower than the first 40 did.

By the time you get to your last 10 or 15, it can take months and months to do that. Especially if the first 85 were lost using unhealthy or unsustainable methods.

If you are 200 pounds overweight, and want to lose only half of that, you MAY have more of a chance, but like all the others have said, it probably won't be done in a healthy OR SUSTAINABLE way.

I say this...
    - if you have to use a**hole and boyfriend in the same sentence - one of the two must stop. Either he stops being an ahole, or he stops being a boyfriend (whether the ahole bit is percieved or actual)
    - decide now to do this the healthy way. Be patient, adjust your eating in a manageable fashion and start making lifestyle changes
    - give up on get rich quick, and instead build your wealth the hard way - through discipline and hard work
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I had an a**hole husband once....now I don't.

But if he's NOT an a**hole boyfriend? the answer is still no.
  • KLWelty
    KLWelty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that any boyfriend who tells you you can lose 100 lbs in 4 months if you go hard........will not be happy with the loose skin that would result should be be successful........

In my experience, critical boyfriends just keep finding things to be critical about . . . I don't recommend long term relationships with these types of people. I grew up in a house with one, I've seen 5 wives, one after one, listen to it for 50 some years. You don't need this.
  • MissSharon2013
    MissSharon2013 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    You could lose a lot more than that in an instant. Dump the idiot boyfriend.

^^^^This
  • rockinjennydee
    rockinjennydee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Get a new boyfriend - one that does not utter such idiotic and unscientific crap.....

THIS! AMEN SISTA!
  • sammi674
    sammi674 Posts: 41
    Options
    No, it's not possible to do so in a healthy way, and unlikely at all.

If he read about weight loss for 2 minutes he would know that.
  • sunfirelynn
    sunfirelynn Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It doesnt sound like you guys have a very good relationship calling him a A**hole, and him thinking you can just drop 100 pounds in a short period:noway: . Dont sound like he supports you at all and sounds like you talk s**t about him. I'd take it one day at a time you will lose just be strong and count your calories.
  • ariadne3s
    ariadne3s Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So... a quick back of the envelope calculation (i.e., accurate within an order of magnitude or so). Approximately 3500 calories=1 lb. So for 25 lbs, we're talking about subtracting 87,500 calories from your monthly diet. If your body burns about 2,000 calories per day, you only burn about 60,000 calories per month (approx. 30 days/mo).

So to lose 25 lbs/week we're talking about eating NET (i.e. (60,000-87,500)/39 (-)917) PER DAY.

Note the negative sign.

In conclusion: NO. Not possible.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    1. If you refer to your boyfriend as an a**hole, there is no reason---aside from extremely poor decision-making on your part---why you should still logically still be with him. You clearly have no respect or liking for him any longer, whether justifiably or not. Case closed.

2. A**hole comment aside, a man dumb enough to state that a woman can lose 100 pounds in 4 months is too dumb for me to waste time on, and should be for you too.

Get a real man--preferably one who is a great deal smarter and one for whom you can cherish warm feelings and respect.

It's pretty simple, really.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe how hard most people in here are attacking the boyfriend.

I can, although I always wonder if it were reversed and a girlfriend were saying something ridiculous would the same advice apply?

Usually not. All he did was make an uneducated assumption while trying to motivate her to hit it hard. That is it, according to the OP. Didnt give her crap, didnt call her fat, didnt say he was unattracted to her.

You don't know any of that. If a man posted that he was overweight and came on the boards and said "My girlfriend thinks I can lose 100 pounds in 4 months if I go hard" blah blah blah, it would have the same reaction. I would tell him to lose her. No one has time for negative people in their lives.

Please post the part of the OP where the bf said something negative. I think you read something that wasn't there.

Which leads me to believe that all of these people who are saying lose the jerk for making negative comments and are reading too much into it all have @sshole boyfriends, who do say negative things to them. I saw thispost when it was 1 page long, and coudn't figure out why OP was calling BF an a-hole. Sounds to me more like BF has a GF who is a gossipy b!tch who isn't loyal to her bf, and publicly airs their dirty laundry.
  • Wickedswife
    Options
    I have been at this since April this year and have only lost 16 lbs....I can tell you from experience that yea you can loose a lot of weight if you go on a crash diet but just loosing it slow and steady while getting yourself healthy..that is the real way to go!

I am sure you have heard the story about the tortuous and the hare? Just remember "Slow and steady wins the race"
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe how hard most people in here are attacking the boyfriend.

I can, although I always wonder if it were reversed and a girlfriend were saying something ridiculous would the same advice apply?

Usually not. All he did was make an uneducated assumption while trying to motivate her to hit it hard. That is it, according to the OP. Didnt give her crap, didnt call her fat, didnt say he was unattracted to her.

You don't know any of that. If a man posted that he was overweight and came on the boards and said "My girlfriend thinks I can lose 100 pounds in 4 months if I go hard" blah blah blah, it would have the same reaction. I would tell him to lose her. No one has time for negative people in their lives.

Please post the part of the OP where the bf said something negative. I think you read something that wasn't there.

Which leads me to believe that all of these people who are saying lose the jerk for making negative comments and are reading too much into it all have @sshole boyfriends, who do say negative things to them. I saw thispost when it was 1 page long, and coudn't figure out why OP was calling BF an a-hole.

Sounds to me more like BF has a GF who is a gossipy b!tch who isn't loyal to her bf, and publicly airs their dirty laundry.
    tumblr_mi1mc5jkQd1rqfhi2o1_500_zps96723f72.gif
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible. Probably should have a cardiologist on speed dial though.

I would hate to see that loose skin mess after that loss in that short of a time frame.
  • bradburyc
    bradburyc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can think of an easy way to loose way over 100lbs - how much did you say your boyfriend weighed??
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You could lose a lot more than that in an instant. Dump the idiot boyfriend.

My favorite response to OP!!!!
  • pebbs80
    pebbs80 Posts: 102
    Options
    I know how you can lose weight REAL quick. Dump him!
  • Bambalina_1
    Bambalina_1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    look, if you asked him if it's possible to loose 100 in 4 months, then for sure he gave you the boyfriend answer - the one you wanted to hear. now, if you didn't ask him and he is pushing you to loose 100 in 4 months then it's time for a new boyfriend, methinks

^^^^This