It Erks my nerves when...

Options

Replies

• cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    Oh and people who wipe their nose AT the table; especially while others are still eating.

My nose runs dependent on what im eating... spicey foods always have my nose running. I think my OH an family would prefer me to wipe my nose rather than dribble onto my plate. I do try to be discreet about it... no loud nose honking sounds and i always put the tissue/napkin on my lap rather than on the table.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    +1 for noisy eaters... 5yo daughter can be a bit noisy and eat with her mouth open and it drives me bonkers!

I doesn't bother me quite so much when they're young children, although I try to teach mine to eat quietly.

When they're 55 … yeah, then it's an issue.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    you're in a room with one other person and they are ranting and raving about something... everything... and I say "quit yelling at me" and they say "I'm not yelling at you, I'm not mad at you"..... oh, ok I'm the only other one in the room, so unless you're yelling at yourself, you are yelling AT ME! I'm not a punching bag (figuratively) or a door mat, so knock it the crap off already.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Your title says Erks my nerves... it really should just be. It really gets on my nerves, or it really irks me when... or even it really annoys me when...

irks my nerves just... no. Things like this irk me beyone belief.

And spelling errors in novels. I sent a letter to an editor once because of the novel I was reading, I included a copy with every spelling error and incorrect punctuation in the novel.

Spelling errors also irk me beyone belief...

This made me laugh. I feel like I need to misspell something on propose to quota this. :wink: :laugh:
  • Hoponopono
    Hoponopono Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh and people who wipe their nose AT the table; especially while others are still eating.

My nose runs dependent on what im eating... spicey foods always have my nose running. I think my OH an family would prefer me to wipe my nose rather than dribble onto my plate. I do try to be discreet about it... no loud nose honking sounds and i always put the tissue/napkin on my lap rather than on the table.

I concede a discreet wipe outweighs the "dribble onto my plate". It is the person who is compelled to turn it into dinner and a show that makes me shudder.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    My mum eats apples and her teeth sound like
    a horse so we have an open joke about it but
    it is annoying .. lol
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Misophonia, hurray!
    (Wikipedia) Misophonia, literally “hatred of sound”, is believed to be a neurological disorder characterized by negative experiences (anger, flight, hatred, disgust) triggered by specific sounds. The sounds can be loud or soft. The term was coined by American neuroscientists Pawel Jastreboff and Margaret Jastreboff and is often used interchangeably with the term selective sound sensitivity. Misophonia has not been classified as a discrete disorder in DSM-V-TR or ICD-10.

People who have misophonia are most commonly angered, and even enraged, by common ambient sounds, such as other people clipping their nails, brushing teeth, eating, breathing, sniffing, talking, sneezing, yawning, walking, chewing gum, laughing, snoring, typing on a keyboard, whistling or coughing; certain consonants; or repetitive sounds. Some are also affected by visual stimuli, such as repetitive foot or body movements, fidgeting, or movement they observe out of the corners of their eyes. Intense anxiety and avoidant behavior may develop, which can lead to decreased socialization. Some people feel the compulsion to mimic what they hear or see. Mimicry is an automatic, non-conscious, and social phenomenon. It has a palliative aspect, making the sufferer feel better. The act of mimicry can elicit compassion and empathy, which ameliorates and lessens hostility, competition, and opposition. There is also a biological basis for how mimicry reduces the suffering from a trigger.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    it IRKS me when people don't know how to spell "irk" and spell it "erk!"
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Your title says Erks my nerves... it really should just be. It really gets on my nerves, or it really irks me when... or even it really annoys me when...

irks my nerves just... no. Things like this irk me beyone belief.

And spelling errors in novels. I sent a letter to an editor once because of the novel I was reading, I included a copy with every spelling error and incorrect punctuation in the novel.

When people have to post/comment more than once to get their point across! You're Point was well token,
    That seriously IRKS me. :wink:

tumblr_lyksz2AVxE1qco00yo1_500.gif

Oh there you are. Have you chosen colors yet?

Right now I'm seeing lots of colors, but let me think about it. I really love purple! Like, maybe different shades of purple on eeeeverything. Whaddaya think?

Purple is my favorite color. A nice deep purple. Or maybe that's the smoke talking to me. I could have a purple cummerbund and tie. Like this:

Cummerbund---Purple-263847.jpg
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it totally irks me when people misspell irk.
  • Pinkee33
    Pinkee33 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Not using loose and lose correctly! Sorry, but it drives me a little nuts!! :grumble:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Duplicate post so please... enjoy this cat gif....

tumblr_m7xb8sMjTq1qgawlzo1_500.gif
  • sarajculwell
    Options
    I don't realize I am out of deodorant until I go to put it on. Drives me insane-but it's my own fault for not thinking lol
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    OK. Here are a couple of mine.

Close talkers. If I am not interested in swapping spit with you . . . . Back the F UP!!!

People who say anyways. It is anyway. ie. He had mommy issues, but I went out with him anyway. or, Classical music is my least favorite. But, I enjoyed the concert anyway.

MB
  • Ashkea76
    Ashkea76 Posts: 7,147 Member
    Options
    Expresso. Use of it should be punishable by death.

lol....YES...and may I add....

"checkings" you have a Checking account...not a checkings account. SMH
  • hope002
    hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I actually love knowing that so many people out there become wrecks over the most trivial things.
    Makes me feel positively well adjusted by comparison.

I raise my coffee cup in tribute to you all.

Sluuuurrrp.
    my thoughts exactly :), crunching on my cucumber sticks
  • PhoenixFitLife
    PhoenixFitLife Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    People super set at the gym with 3 or more machines at the same time
  • sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Someone is eating and they make the MOST NERVE WRECKING NOISES....humming, grunting, slurping, and SMACKING. I
    JUST WANT TO HOLD THEIR MOUTH SHUT SO THEY CANT MOVE IT.

i do it on purpose sometimes to piss people like u off. u mad?
  • harr3mi
    harr3mi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm the same I walk into a restroom and someone comes out the stall and goes straight for the door. I want to grab their wrists, stand behind them and put their hands under the water with soap and sing, "This is the way we wash our hands, wash our hands, wash our hands. This is the way we wash our hands, after we go potty."

What’s worse is the ones that just run them under the water for a brief second as if to falsely advertise their hand washing. Sorry, I don’t have amnesia, I was there beginning, middle and end of your hand washing experience and you my friend merely gave the germs a swimming pool in which to breed. Soap is magical isn’t it?
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    Misophonia, hurray!
    (Wikipedia) Misophonia, literally “hatred of sound”, is believed to be a neurological disorder characterized by negative experiences (anger, flight, hatred, disgust) triggered by specific sounds. The sounds can be loud or soft. The term was coined by American neuroscientists Pawel Jastreboff and Margaret Jastreboff and is often used interchangeably with the term selective sound sensitivity. Misophonia has not been classified as a discrete disorder in DSM-V-TR or ICD-10.

People who have misophonia are most commonly angered, and even enraged, by common ambient sounds, such as other people clipping their nails, brushing teeth, eating, breathing, sniffing, talking, sneezing, yawning, walking, chewing gum, laughing, snoring, typing on a keyboard, whistling or coughing; certain consonants; or repetitive sounds. Some are also affected by visual stimuli, such as repetitive foot or body movements, fidgeting, or movement they observe out of the corners of their eyes. Intense anxiety and avoidant behavior may develop, which can lead to decreased socialization. Some people feel the compulsion to mimic what they hear or see. Mimicry is an automatic, non-conscious, and social phenomenon. It has a palliative aspect, making the sufferer feel better. The act of mimicry can elicit compassion and empathy, which ameliorates and lessens hostility, competition, and opposition. There is also a biological basis for how mimicry reduces the suffering from a trigger.

Quite a few people suffer from this.

My dad hates clicking/tapping/whistling/gum chewing and foot wobbling/rocking when everyone else is doing it, but it dosnt irritate him when he does it lol

As for the smacking noise's when eating, i always ask if they are enjoying it, just before they answer i normally say something like 'cause you know, im f***ing loving it, im so full from the noises your making i couldnt possibly finish my own meal!'

Or they get the 'look' and something like ' chew a bit louder, i love the ambiance you are creating during this meal'