The men who made us fat

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• dejamos
    dejamos Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The BBC's modus operandi is to blame the big corporations.

If you don't want corn syrup in your products don't buy products with corn syrup in them.

Which pretty much means don't buy [food] products.
  • lovetotravel04
    lovetotravel04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why this thread got into a strange discussion, but I agree with you about food corporations. Their goal is really not our health, it's about selling the product, no matter what's in it. Of course, some food companies care about what they put into their food (ie: Stonyfield).
    What I'm always surprised with is the sugar that is put into some tomato sauces--I don't want sweet tomato sauce on my pasta. If I did, I could certainly add it.
    Thanks for this post, I get so tired of the corn industry lobbying for HFCS and other companies talking about how wonderful partially hydrogenated fats are for you. Oh, and just let us add a little of this stuff in the food--slightly under the regulations--and call it ".....-free" (when it's not free of the ingredient).
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

If you don't want corn syrup in your products don't buy products with corn syrup in them.

I buy plenty of food without added corn sweeteners. It can be done, and it's not that hard.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    MEN who made us fat?? Now we are sexist as well!? What about those corporate WOMEN? geez! That must be hy i'm fat!

LOL! Just trying to get members think. Blaming? I've never been overweight in my life. 107 pounds was the highest. I'm naturally thin, always have been. :)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is bad here in US. I try to minimize sugar whenever I can. For example, I NEVER drink sugar water (cola, lemonade, gatorade, energy drinks, "vitamin water", smoothies, fancy coffee drinks - they are all SUGAR WATER). And still, every day on MFP, my sugar intake ends up over the target amount. But with advertising, marketing, and general availability, even this small effort seems "counter-culture".

A big part of the reason your sugar winds up being over the recommendations is that they're counting all native sugars in food. Eat an ear of corn? Congrats, you just consumed 6 grams of sugar. My daily banana is 14 grams. MFP suggests I keep my sugar under 50 grams, which isn't very hard to blow through when also trying to get the recommended number of daily servings of fresh fruit and vegetables because the MFP counter isn't counting added sugars at all. And at any rate its junk science to differentiate sugars and carbohydrates metabolically.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    In America it is almost near impossible to avoid corn by products in foods, from corn starch, corn syrup, corn meal, its not health, the most recent thing I found it in and know it was not in it prior (at least not on the label) is tea bags, Lipton especially now lists modified corn starch on its label as an ingredient in its tea, why? there should be nothing but tea.

Corn starch is added to tea and other products to prevent caking or clumping from moisture in the air.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Nothing like absolving yourself of personal responsibility!

Yep.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I buy plenty of food without added corn sweeteners. It can be done, and it's not that hard.

^ This. Though the only reason I care is the calories. Sugar and HFCS are great in Pop Tarts and Oreos, which I enjoy sometimes.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

^ This. Though the only reason I care is the calories. Sugar and HFCS are great in Pop Tarts and Oreos, which I enjoy sometimes.

Also very good in McDonald's chocolate dipped ice cream-like frozen dessert cones.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options

It's not just the hidden calories in take-outs, the hidden sugar in supermarket produce, but also the hidden agenda in wider society (whether driven by big business, politics, or other more base or basic instincts)

I'm sorry, but what hidden sugar is in my produce? I get that they can breed varieties of produce to be sweeter (e.g., sweet corn), but "hidden sugar" implies that they're actually adding it to the fruit or vegetables. If you're talking about frozen or canned stuff, well then you have a label to refer to, so the sugar's not hidden. So what does this mean?

Well there are natural sugars in fruit and veg ... which of course are not being 'evilly' snuck in by giant corporations, but for those without a real understanding of what they're putting in their body, would present some challenges should they start to address their intake.

Not so much 'hidden' as 'unexpected' in other cases. You might not check a packet for ingredients if you make assumptions that a canned item is only going to contain what the picture shows. OK I glance at ingredients (years as a vegetarian made this second nature) but the majority don't.

There's so many out there who place trust in food manufacturers to provide something which is nutritionally complete. If buying a ready meal, expect it falls within 'safe' ranges, not realising how much salt and sugar is added to compensate for the lack of flavour (more usually achieved by cooking fresh ingredients).