Is bread bad?

Replies

• fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    I have to agree as since I have restricted myself to only two slices a day Monday to Friday, I no longer crave a jam butty like I used to.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    absolutely not. White bread is processed bread and that is worse but not explicitly bad just worse then brown or grain breads
    the issue is White bread is pure carbs, salt and sugar so that would = easy fat gain

Brown/Grain = lower GI, more nutrients, better fat to burn ratio

Either way provided like more or less anything, if you plan it into your daily allowance then it's ok.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Bread is only bad if it doesn't package bacon and some tomato sauce.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Any advice that begins " a friend of mine told me" can usually be ignored.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Can you explain what a "fat to burn ratio" is? I've never heard of this before.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Nope, bread is awesome. I think the perception that it is bad comes about because it is higher calorie than most people realize and there is more sugar and sodium in store bought bread that most people would expect. But as long as you read the label and make sure it fits in your day, you're golden.
  • wamydia
    I've tried to cut back on bread due to carbs. Aren't too many carbs bad?

Carbs are not bad and neither is any other food. Some people find it helpful to cut back on them somewhat for weight loss, but others eat a normal (200-300g/ day) amount and have no problem losing weight. If you are staying within your calorie goal and macros and are struggling to lose, it may be worth cutting back on carbs a little to see if it helps. If you are having trouble with being hungry all day, it can be helpful to eat fewer carbs in favor of more protein and fat as these help you stay full longer. Otherwise, don't worry about it.
  • terilea2
    terilea2 Posts: 11
    Hello! In my opinion, bread is not the best thing for us and for many reasons. To help with world hunger and growing more yielding crops the wheat we know today has gone through a crossbreeding process of other wheat and grasses. Scientists were able to develop a type of wheat that had a short growing season and yielded bigger crops. However, they never thought about testes the effects of combing two different types of wheat thinking all wheat is healthy for humans. As a result, our modern day wheat is the main cause of the higher cases of individuals having gluten issues.

Anything in moderation is healthy for you and listen to how your body responds after eating bread. If you like bread make sure you pick breads that list “whole grain wheat flour” instead of “enriched”. I usually buy my bread from Sprouts Farmer’s Market or you can make your own bread from almond meal. Recently I started using white cheddar rice cakes instead of bread and found it more satisfying since I like crunching foods.
    My entire mind set changed in regards to bread when I read “Wheat Belly” by William Davis, MD. I suggest giving the book a read!

For health and wellness tips please visit my Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/timeforchangehealthandwellness

Health & Happiness, :smile:
    Teri Elkins, B.S. in Health and Wellness
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Don't eat moldy bread.

If it's stale then use it as bread crumbs or croutons.

Otherwise, bread is fine.

And, honestly, the absolute absurdity of the "oh noz! xxxxx food is bad for you" crowd never fails to amuse me.
  • wamydia
    Hello! In my opinion, bread is not the best thing for us and for many reasons. To help with world hunger and growing more yielding crops the wheat we know today has gone through a crossbreeding process of other wheat and grasses. Scientists were able to develop a type of wheat that had a short growing season and yielded bigger crops. However, they never thought about testes the effects of combing two different types of wheat thinking all wheat is healthy for humans. As a result, our modern day wheat is the main cause of the higher cases of individuals having gluten issues.

Could you provide your source for this? I mean the actual research that proves that crossbreeding modern wheat is the cause of increased gluten allergies. While this isn't impossible, the last I heard there hadn't been any research done to prove it. And my experience is that people tend to point the finger at any kind of genetic manipulations or crossbreeding because it sounds scary. The more plausible cause that I have heard (and that is also unproven) is simply that because we eat more grains overall as a species, more people are developing allergic reactions. It's the way that human body works -- we could eat something 100 times and on the 101st, we have an allergic reaction because the immune system has finally built up an intense enough response for us to see or feel the effects.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    But hey at least they solved world hunger. Right guys?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    absolutely not. White bread is processed bread and that is worse but not explicitly bad just worse then brown or grain breads
    the issue is White bread is pure carbs, salt and sugar so that would = easy fat gain

Brown/Grain = lower GI, more nutrients, better fat to burn ratio

Either way provided like more or less anything, if you plan it into your daily allowance then it's ok.

Uh, what?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    But hey at least they solved world hunger. Right guys?

Nope. That was an evil worldwide corporate plot. We all know that humanity is a disease on earth, and that the world will be better off when it's finally ruled by giant, but benevolent, three toed sloths who clearly will take better care of the ecosystem and bring about galactic peace. :bigsmile:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    215307-evilbread-t.jpg

bread killed my mother!!!!
  • MamaDuckN2MamaWow
    MamaDuckN2MamaWow Posts: 31 Member
    Simple carbs are not the best; aim for complex carbs - basically the stuff that has dietary fiber in it - helps with digestion. But, bread is not evil - MODERATION!! is always key!
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    I eat bread.
    Hell I eat hot pockets if it fits in my day.
    Unless you have a glucose problem, my personal suggestion (I'm not a PT or anything!) is to not limit the groups of food you present to your body. Then they are going to adapt to a really strict diet and everything will make you feel sick.

Again just my person experience, but your pdoc is the best person to ask! :)
  • MamaDuckN2MamaWow
    MamaDuckN2MamaWow Posts: 31 Member
    Basically, white breads are generally full of simple carbs like sugar. Wheat & whole grains are better because of the amount of dietary fiber in them (complex carbs).
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    It depends what they put in the bread. Go for whole grains and/or unbleached flour. Avoid corn syrup, preservatives, coloring, added flavoring, and things you can't recognize.

I actually cut out bread as much as I could, only to find out [from the doctor that] it was a great source for a nutrient I was lacking. (It's packed with nutrition.)

Just make sure you are balancing your meals and not driving your insulin levels too high. In other words, two slices a day won't hurt.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    A friend of mine told me I should not be eating bread. I make myself sandwiches quite often. I keep within my calorie intake. Opinions anyone?

There are a lot of people who believe you can't lose weight if you eat processed food. This is a falsehood. If you're highly diabetic of course, bread is a less good option. If you've got normal blood sugar, it's not terrible.

That said, if it fits in your macros and calorie goals, it's fine. If it doesn't, it's not.

All things being equal, whole grain breads would be better (more nutritious) than say white bread. *shrug*
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Can you explain what a "fat to burn ratio" is? I've never heard of this before.

Meaning bad carbs (High GI) are more likely to pack on fat at a faster rate. Good carbs (low gi etc.) get burned off b4 they can get to that stage.