Haters gonna hate. tired of the "1200 is not enough" speech

Options

Replies

• Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how other dieters think they are experts on the topic. I am only an expert on my own body, and even then I make mistakes. Also, the closer you are to your ideal weight (or the less weight you have to lose), the harder it is to lose. That's why going down to 1200 calories may be needed.
    Getting to your ideal weight does not require eating less than whatever your TDEE would be at your ideal weight.
    In fact, you most likely have to UP your calories. For me, I am at 1700 baseline without my exercise calories. As I get closer to goal, it will go up, because I will be trying to maintain, rather than lose.

I upped my calories as I got closer to my goal also. I started at 1600 net and worked my way up to 2500 -3000 maintenance. I never plataued and easily transitioned into maintenance.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Lol 1200 is brunch.
  • Wildflower0106
    Options
    Everyone hits plateau's in weight loss. If your eating 1200 and your weight loss stalls, then how low will you go? 1000, 800 etc. Then when you hit another plateau, then where? Perpetual cycle of plateau's, until you eat slightly above maintainence to 'reset' then it will be weight gain hell.

I never hit a plateau...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Ummm...who here is aware that the OP's point actually had NOTHING to really do with the 1200 calorie goal?

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?
  • marshall_love
    Options
    I totally get where you're coming from, my diet is slated by people all the time, even though my weight loss isnt extreme and i'm not under weight they still think that our calorie intake is putting us on our death beds. Everyone is different. Different things work for different people, this website suggested I eat 1280 a day so clearly 1200 isn't a dangerous intake.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Ummm...who here is aware that the OP's point actually had NOTHING to really do with the 1200 calorie goal?

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

:laugh: raises hand
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    yadda, yadda, yadda.... I was on 1200 cals for a month and a half and lost a lot. Now I've reached a plateau when I don't loose weight any more and decided to raise calories to 1400. Let's see what will happen or not. :)
    1200 cals is not too little if you eat smart and choose healthy food like veggies, fruit, whole wheat products.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

Lack of reading comprehension in a thread about reading comprehension?

Classic MFP.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

Classic MFP.

:drinker:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    yadda, yadda, yadda.... I was on 1200 cals for a month and a half and lost a lot. Now I've reached a plateau when I don't loose weight any more and decided to raise calories to 1400. Let's see what will happen or not. :)
    1200 cals is not too little if you eat smart and choose healthy food like veggies, fruit, whole wheat products.

But how would I make my fat and protein macros like that? 120 grams of protein and 58 grams of fat is 1002 calories all on it's own; how the hell am I doing that with fruit and veggies AND not feeling hungry at 1200?

Also I hate when people go "I'm a short sedentary woman so blahblah1200blahblahblah"

Please. I'm Short (5'3" at the best of times) I'm sedentary (Not currently working, and I spend all day playing video games) and I'm a woman last I checked, but 1200 would be a 1000+ calories cut for me. I would be losing 2+ pounds a week. Please don't come at me with "I'm short and not active so I have to eat this minuscule amount that basically amounts to some people's dinner." Get more active, fix yourself. Why be content to eat 1200 and then spend your life maintaining at 1500-1600-1700? What kind of life, in the long term, is that?

I mean, other than my worst nightmare.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs in the past 5 months in starvation mode I guess :)
  • Wildflower0106
    Options

And yes, there are a *few* people for whom 1200ish calories makes sense. But those ladies are the exception, not the rule. For most, eating like that for a long period of time is not much healthier than snorting cocaine.

God, I love MFP. Only here can a very normal, healthy amount of calories for a woman be compared to snorting cocaine.

It would only be healthy for SOME women. My tdee is around 3000, so 1200 would be detrimental to my health if I ate like that long term. My body would be malnourished.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

And yes, there are a *few* people for whom 1200ish calories makes sense. But those ladies are the exception, not the rule. For most, eating like that for a long period of time is not much healthier than snorting cocaine.

God, I love MFP. Only here can a very normal, healthy amount of calories for a woman be compared to snorting cocaine.

:laugh:
    thank you.
  • beckaanne52
    Options
    True. Although I know a lot of posts come more from the fact that there are a lot of people (men and women) who will jump straight down to 1200 calories even if based on stats (BF%, Height, weight, gender) and exercise say that they could/should eat more. I've seen posts from people eating 1000 - 1200 calories a day (no more than 1200) and exercising insane amounts. I think it is fair to warn those people of the damage they might cause their bodies, but I also try to be nice about it.

If I didn't do any exercise all day, just sat on my butt, then I would want to eat at around 1200 calories. I know this because on my extremely lazy days, my fitbit only gives me a calorie burn of about 1780 or so for the whole day.

The fact that I am active (even being 5'4.5") and that exercise increases TDEE numbers, means that some days I can eat 2000 + calories and still be in a deficit. So, I know you were probably just ranting/exaggerating, but you really don't have to be 6'2" to eat over 2000 calories a day. Statements like that are what lead short women to believe that they have to eat 1200 to lose weight, when in reality there are a lot of factors that determine the amount of calories a person needs per day. Amount of muscle mass plays a role in this as well (more muscle = higher BMR).

edit: I also think the whole "starvation mode" is a very misused term on MFP. There are points where if you aren't eating enough, you can actually cause numerous health problems, but it's like less than 1000 calories everyday for at least 4 weeks. I also don't believe in the magical fat storing when eating less than 1200 calories. Although depending on what your BMR/TDEE is your metabolism could slow from to large of a deficit overtime (months) to match your intake, but this is just your body adapting to what it is being given.

I agree with this. I think the point is if you are eating less then 1200 cals a day you need to be seeing a dr to confirm that this ishealthy for you. For example, my mom is 4'9" she eats about 900 cals a day and adds cals back for exercising. She is working on dr authorized final 10 lbs then will go back to maintenance which for her is 1100. Numbers and statistics are averages every person is different. In addition, I agree with the comment that this is someone who is eating like this for weeks, a few days in a week not hitting 1200 is not going to put people into starvation mode. However, if you suddenly cut cals to 1200 and then add tons of exercise without eating those cals back that for many people is dangerous. Again see a dr if you are going past guidelines, make sure it is ok for you. Then if it is, don't tell people about so you don't have to explain all the time!
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

Classic MFP.

I'm the OP. At least some of you got it! LOL

----

To answer a couple of things before:

My TDEE is 1600-1700
    I have an illness so when I'm not feeling OK I count and eat at mantainence, when I feel better I eat at 1200ish for 5 days (sometimes 6). Weekends mostly I eat at mantainance so I know my metabolism is not screwed. Actually I've been eating at 1600-1700 for 2 weeks and haven't lost an ounce and also haven't gain an ounce so I'm pretty sure that is my TDEE. When I do eat 1200ish and exercise (not very often) I do eat exercise calories back.

My whole point is that people NEED to read all the facts before stating their opinions, like I said at first, I remember a women who had bypass surgery and was not allowed to eat over 900 calories a day (don't remember exact number but was under 1000) and pretty much everyone started saying she was starving herself and that she needed to eat more, etc. The women was asking for something really different and nobody read what she was really asking advice for.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Why be content to eat 1200 and then spend your life maintaining at 1500-1600-1700? What kind of life, in the long term, is that?

A normal kind of life, with normal-sized portions. Not that it's not important to indulge in a meal out or ice cream every so often. But most days, at my height of 5'2ish, 1400 is really what I should be eating at a healthy weight from my height when I'm NOT dieting. This used to be common sense.

I'm really glad we live in a country where a short woman eating 1700 calories can be someone's worst nightmare.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Ok, I have read every page of this post and hardly any of you seem to get her point. It has upset me to the point that I did report one person because they offered no opinion, they were just blatantly rude, disrespectful and out of line. And I'm sorry to say, most of these responses were. If you read the OP, she does tell you what her TREE is and what she usually eats. But not once do I recall her asking for advice. She is simply asking for people to really read posts before jumping on the starvation mode speech. Some people do have dietary restrictions, some drs restrictions, and some people really can't eat 1500eggs calories a day. We are all here for the same reason, so can't we all respect that literally EVERY BODY is different and try to support each other without being cruel and sarcastic?

And btw, this post isn't stupid and she's not just looking for attention. She's trying to find a way to help those that are being attacked on here.

If you like what I've said and agree, I'm glad. If you don't, please have the decency to not verbally attack me like has been going on so much here already. This is supposed to be a supportive community.

Thank you Kelene :) I found very refreshing that some people get the point, because as a fit/weightloss community we are suppose to give/receive advice but for that we must read what the OPs are asking for, and with 1200 calories happens that nobody reads after seeing 1200. They just post that is not ok, and yeah, in most cases probably it is not ok, but that doesn't mean that it always apply and people who ask advice deserve that we read they entire message before giving our opinions.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Why be content to eat 1200 and then spend your life maintaining at 1500-1600-1700? What kind of life, in the long term, is that?

A normal kind of life, with normal-sized portions. Not that it's not important to indulge in a meal out or ice cream every so often. But most days, at my height of 5'2ish, 1400 is really what I should be eating at a healthy weight from my height when I'm NOT dieting. This used to be common sense.

I'm really glad we live in a country where a short woman eating 1700 calories can be someone's worst nightmare.

Nightmares. Literal nightmares.

I'm a short woman (a whole inch taller than you) eating 1700+ to LOSE a pound a week. Why do you assume your 1400 to maintain is what is 'normal', as opposed to my ability to lose on more than that?

And just so we're clear I'm not obese or drastically overweight or amazing fit/active and thus need some ridiculous amount to maintain my weight.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Why do people care so much how much, or how less, someone else is eating? Worry about yourself and what your physician says is best for you. Bunch of nosey busy bodies.

I am fine eating 1000-1200 calories. Sometimes I eat up to 1500 calories, but not very often. Doing that is how I got fat in the first place. I have weighed all my food for the past 2.5yrs and tracked my exercise. I know my limit on if I start eating more calories that my weight goes up. I do what works for me, you do what works for you.

TDEE.jpg
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

Nightmares. Literal nightmares.

I'm a short woman (a whole inch taller than you) eating 1700+ to LOSE a pound a week. Why do you assume your 1400 to maintain is what is 'normal', as opposed to my ability to lose on more than that?

And just so we're clear I'm not obese or drastically overweight or amazing fit/active and thus need some ridiculous amount to maintain my weight.

Not to be argumentative or anything, but why are you so convinced that your calorie allowance should be hers?
    What about age, activity level, etc. Those variables are an important part of the equation too. :huh: