School menu ridiculousness

Options

Replies

• donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Same old thought process... Everyone 'thinks' that healthy food is too expensive. Plus many schools get financial kickbacks / sponsorship from many of these fast food and soda companies.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I send my kids with packed lunches...the school has a policy to check lunch boxes for chocolates/ sweets and if found confiscates them.

But the school lunch they offer has a sweet dessert and they also offer pizza, chips plus other rubbish.

Utter hypocrites
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Same old thought process... Everyone 'thinks' that healthy food is too expensive. Plus many schools get financial kickbacks / sponsorship from many of these fast food and soda companies.

Fast Food?

I'll give you soda, but the schools don't supply it for free...
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Our school district has done a stellar job improving nutrition over the past ten years. It's been a slow transformation but I'm pleased with the amount of fruits and veggies and they are offering now. All the bread items including the buns for chicken burgers are made from scratch in the schools main kitchen.

It's not perfect and it's not ideal but changes have been made!

I especially appreciate the changes that have been made, I can't afford to make lunches for my kids and this is a HUGE help for our family.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Calm down naysayers. I didn’t say anything about punishing children or forcing children to go hungry. I said that I believe parents, not schools, are the ones responsible for feeding their children.

Insinuating that someone is somehow living in privilege because they actually feed their kids is what is utterly ridiculous; and a smack in the face to a lot of poor parents who struggle to make ends meet and still live up to their parental responsibilities. Millions of people living in poverty also take the responsibility to feed their kids every meal, every day. To imply that those families are somehow advantaged because they don’t agree with or want a particular social democracy program shows ignorance. As does the assumption that all the poor hungry kids are actually attending public schools anyway.

Having a differing opinion of social responsibility doesn’t make one “privileged” or “ridiculous.” It simply means that people see social responsibility differently. Some people think it is the schools/taxpayers’ responsibility to feed kids and some people think it is the parents’ responsibility to feed kids.

Meh. Whatever. People have differing opinions.

wow. you say you aren't for punishing kids. So who do you think is gonna be getting punished if you did away with cheap or free school meals for those that cant afford it? Yeah its the kids.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I send my daughter to school to learn, not to eat. I provide well balanced meals for her breakfast and dinner. If she doesn't like the school meal for the day, she packs a lunch.

I would like to know how many of you complaining would vote for a tax increase to provide better nutrition at school?

ETA: This is a first world problem. Can we really complain at all that our children have schools and regular meals?

I for one would be against it. I don't have kids, don't want kids, and sure as heck don't want to have to pay to support someone elses kids. The government gets enough of my money as it is.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I send my daughter to school to learn, not to eat. I provide well balanced meals for her breakfast and dinner. If she doesn't like the school meal for the day, she packs a lunch.

I would like to know how many of you complaining would vote for a tax increase to provide better nutrition at school?

I would totally vote for tax increase for almost anything school related, especially nutrition. It's so important, and for a lot of children out there it's the only semi healthy meal they'll get all day. And sadly there are a lot of kids out there for whom it will be the only meal they get that day.

I would vote too.

I also want to point out that I do not have children and it's becoming more and more of a big possibility that I never will. That being said I do still believe that it's part of my responsibility to pay taxes toward children educational and hunger needs because someday I will be old and they will be charge.

Sadly, an awful lot of people do not feel the same way you do.

Yeah I know, it's a pity.

Yep, where I grew up it was tough to get any school levy through due to the amount of people in town that didn't have kids, didn't have school kids anymore, or had their kids in the private schools.... Didn't directly effect them, so they didn't care.

We just completed a $3 million upgrade to our sports complex (raised through fundraising, partnerships, and gifts), guess who was the first ones knocking on the door asking if they could play their games there....

For real but congrats on the upgrade.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

I would totally vote for tax increase for almost anything school related, especially nutrition. It's so important, and for a lot of children out there it's the only semi healthy meal they'll get all day. And sadly there are a lot of kids out there for whom it will be the only meal they get that day.

I would vote too.

I also want to point out that I do not have children and it's becoming more and more of a big possibility that I never will. That being said I do still believe that it's part of my responsibility to pay taxes toward children educational and hunger needs because someday I will be old and they will be charge.

Sadly, an awful lot of people do not feel the same way you do.

Yeah I know, it's a pity.

I find it a pitty when women pop out 4 or 5 babies knowing that they can't afford to take care of them. Everybody has an opinion.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Yep, where I grew up it was tough to get any school levy through due to the amount of people in town that didn't have kids, didn't have school kids anymore, or had their kids in the private schools.... Didn't directly effect them, so they didn't care.

We just completed a $3 million upgrade to our sports complex (raised through fundraising, partnerships, and gifts), guess who was the first ones knocking on the door asking if they could play their games there....

For real but congrats on the upgrade.

Yep, I grew up in a decent sized town, but there was a large private school presence, so when we needed something it could be a real chore to get it to pass.

And as soon as we get this built with our own money and help from the public college in town (because they wanted to use it too), the private HS in town is first in line to say "Hey, can we borrow that?"
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Calm down naysayers. I didn’t say anything about punishing children or forcing children to go hungry. I said that I believe parents, not schools, are the ones responsible for feeding their children.

Insinuating that someone is somehow living in privilege because they actually feed their kids is what is utterly ridiculous; and a smack in the face to a lot of poor parents who struggle to make ends meet and still live up to their parental responsibilities. Millions of people living in poverty also take the responsibility to feed their kids every meal, every day. To imply that those families are somehow advantaged because they don’t agree with or want a particular social democracy program shows ignorance. As does the assumption that all the poor hungry kids are actually attending public schools anyway.

Having a differing opinion of social responsibility doesn’t make one “privileged” or “ridiculous.” It simply means that people see social responsibility differently. Some people think it is the schools/taxpayers’ responsibility to feed kids and some people think it is the parents’ responsibility to feed kids.

Meh. Whatever. People have differing opinions.

I agree that it's the parents responsibility but I also think that creating low cost and depending on the situation free, for vasectomies, partial hysterectomies, and abortions will also help the problem of people having children they either don't want, can't take care of and what not. If it wasn't too much to ask we could also ask that people just use their brains and use multiple forms of contraceptives or abstinence.

I really want a family but I also really want to only adopt because I don't see the point in bringing children into a world when there are already children in need of families. Right now I cannot afford to adopt on my own which is why I feel like I may never get there. I am pro-choice but do not believe in abortion for myself but I also work at a clinic and have seen women who are on their 9 or 10th pregnancy and almost each of them unwanted but they cannot afford their tubes tied or an abortion (though I don't know an abortion would be an option to them depending on what they believe in) and of course the govt isn't going to pay for it.

I don't think you should be harpooned for what you believe because to each his/her own but I think that in many cases it is not possible to empathize or concur with different believe if you have not walked in those shoes. While I do not agree with your opinion, I think my opinion above may be considered radical.

When it comes to the bones of my beliefs, I believe that unless people in general take responsibility for their actions whether there is an attempt to force them or not, the situation will not change if there isn't people from all ends working together to change it. (Responsibility, not meaning just the parents)

Sorry if I went off topic...This comment did start off at a snarky reply but as I wrote I realized how inappropriate that would have been but felt the need to not only say it but attempt to explain it as well.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I recall trying to eat my school's mac & cheese and I can remember watching a couple of my friends try to throw the mac & cheese on the wall and seeing it stick.

Stuff was nasty.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The problem is.. my son doesn't want to be "that kid" who never gets to buy lunch at school and I'm not the parent that wants my son to eat the food offered. They do have a salad bar.. i'm positive my 14 yo son will line up for that every single day.. (please note the dripping sarcasm in that statement) . So what do you do. Constant pleading from your child to be able to buy lunch (which they will do with their on money if necessary) and wanting them to eat healthy. I'm glad we're not in his old school district. They had a taco bell in the cafeteria.. healthy I'm sure... right..
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Schools have to feed a lot of children for pennies because they get no budget. It's more economical to bring in prepared foods and heat them than to buy everything fresh and pay the cooks more for all the extra time they need to make it.

This.

I think my county has it at something ridiculous, like $.31 per child per day.

Mine have packed their lunches since kindergarten because I just don't see the nutritional value in the school lunches. I think they will get a school lunch once every few months or so, and each time they come home tired and cranky (well, tired-er and cranky-er!)
  • JenniferPlus2
    JenniferPlus2 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that teaches Pre-K and one day one of the little boys looked really sad, so she said, "You should be happy! It's Friday, you get to stay home with no school for 2 whole days!" To that he replied, "I don't like the weekends. Those are hungry days."
    Just think about it. The school feeds him breakfast and lunch for free Monday through Friday. Whose responsibility is it then to make sure they eat healthy?
  • mrscarolbernard
    mrscarolbernard Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Disgusting. It's all sugar, refined carbs and fat.
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    It's no wonder we're raising generations of obese children, considering what they're getting in public school. My little one will be in a school-run daycare next week, and she's eating solid foods now. One of the options is to let her get her breakfast and lunch free from the cafeteria, but after looking at the menu options, we'll spend our own money and send her real food.

Keep in mind this menu is produced by arguably the "best" cafeteria in our region, and most of the other schools around here COPY this menu for their students.

Breakfast daily options: Cinnamon roll/cheese stick, assorted Pop Tarts, Graham Snackers or blueberry or banana nut muffins. Daily hot options are a sausage roll, breakfast pizza, French toast link with syrup, pancake on a stick with syrup and a waffle with syrup and a sausage patty.

Lunch options...
    Chili dog or cheesy stix (cheese bread) with marinara; chicken nuggets or PBJ; pepperoni pizza or a chalupa; corn dog or "fish strips" (WTF is that anyway); nachos or stuffed dippers with sauce; cheese pizza or meatball sub; and my PERSONAL favorite "main dish" options: mac and cheese with a roll or a corn dog.

Oh, and the lunch options are served with assorted milks, fresh fruits, veggies AND desserts.

If this is what our government says is healthy and acceptable for kids to eat, we're doomed.

Wow, nothing on the menus have changed since I was going to school. Fish strips are pretty much fish sticks. Who even knows if it's fish. I do have very fond memories of that breakfast pizza though.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    That one meal 5 days a week is not going to make a Kid fat. It is up to the parents. Get Your kid involved in sports. Make healthy

breakfast and dinners. Be active Parents. Or pack a lunch for Your kid. In chicago we have kids that get their main meal of the

day at school. Even in the summer there are programs put in place so those Kids eat breakfast and lunch monday through friday.

It's not their fault that their parents made bad choices.
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    We always joke that at our nearby schools, the only cooking tools the lunch ladies need are a box cutter and a can opener.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Really doesn't sound that bad to me. Kids can basically eat as many carbs as they want. They don't need as much protein or fat as adults.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, this brings back memories. In my high school they gave us pizza with french fries.