Cauliflower Birthday Cake?

Options

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Sorry if someone posted this already. This thread is out of control! This cake is vegan and gluten-free.
    http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2009/02/gluten-free-vegan-sugar-free-chocolate.html

DSC_0335.JPG
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    *gag*

I'm all for clean eating & healthier alternatives, but this question really takes the cake.

Pun intended.
  • italral
    italral Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ugh, get a cupcake so you don't go overboard, savor it, log it, and eat healthy the rest of the day.
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    <b>This is a true story:</b>

My boss adopts a vegan diet every year during the 40 days of Lent. He will eat nothing that comes from an animal. Unfortunately, his birthday falls in March so I would have to buy him a fruit bowl as there are no vegan bakeries near work while the rest of the employees indulged on birthday cake. He mentioned to me that he had not eaten a cake on his birthday in the 10 years that he started observing this fast.

I couldn't believe it, so I asked him why he just doesn't give up the fast for one day out of the 40 to observe his *birthday". He told me that fasting is a choice and is a test of your willpower. If he gave up the fast for one day he would give in to temptation (the devil) as it was the easy thing to do. We are tempted every day to make a choice and we are stronger than we think.

I am a part-time cake decorator so the following year I decided to find a recipe for vegan carrot cake (his favorite) and bake him a cake complete with frosting. I can't tell you how shocked he was when I placed the 9x13 frosted carrot cake in from of him along with the recipe for him to validate that it was truly vegan. He was thrilled that he could enjoy his favorite cake on his birthday and still follow the vegan diet that he committed to for Lent. I was only annoyed at the rest of the staff because they also wanted to try his birthday cake instead of the other cake and some were so inconsiderate that they were taking seconds. I had to pack away what was left of his cake so that he could take it home and share it with his family who were also fasting.

When I read the responses to the OPs posts my boss came to mind.

We joined this site with the common goal to lose or maintain weight. We are tempted everyday with food yet we make choices that are part of the healthy lifestyle that we chose to adopt. Yes, some of you will give up that one day for your birthday to eat a "real" birthday cake but it doesn't mean that all of us will. It is not our place to judge but be supportive in someone's choices.

I bet most of you who had expressed "opinions" of the cauliflower chocolate cake had never even tried one. I'm sure if you did you would modify your posts.
    ^^^^^^
    Most people in disgust are only thinking of how nasty cauliflower would taste if you took a peice a cake took a bite than also took a bite of cauliflower. Next time your making real cake take a bite of the ingredients. Take a bite of that unsweetened chocolate, or the flour. It is going to taste bitter and nasty. If you only go by those awful tastes it would be hard to fathom how it could possibly taste good combined with other ingredients. But that is the magic of recipes. Once you create a balance those bitter and nasty tastes suddenly have new notes that were once covered up shine through. Unless you try a recipe try having an open mind. Cauliflower probably tastes better than some of those perservative they add it cake boxes. Just saying
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It is funny to read all the reactions to the watermelon cake I posted. Like I previously said, I'd like chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting personally for my birthday, but the op wanted a healthier cake. And, it looks pretty cool. She can eat whatever cake she wants. It's her birthday lol. :smile:
  • StrivingSagittarius
    Options
    You can't have your cake and eat it too ;P

5884.gif
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    If it were me I'd have a nice piece of strawberry shortcake made with angel food cake, strawberry yogurt ice cream and lots of fresh strawberries. Oh wait, I have that EVERYDAY. :bigsmile:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Check out Chocolate Covered Katie - she has lots of healthy desserts.

Yes, let's check her out...shall we?

kt1.jpg?73e30c
    bump.jpg
    monacosmallerandforblog.jpg
    momb_thumb.jpg
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

kt1.jpg?73e30c
    bump.jpg
    momb_thumb.jpg

She is stunningly beautiful girl, but I think a lot of people would say she is too thin.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Look on the dessert blog ChocolateCoveredKatie she has a vegan chocolate cauliflower cake on there. It is called Crazy Cake.

I wonder why?
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    1 medium cauliflower, 650g-700g
    1 large red onion, peeled
    100g olive oil
    ½ tsp finely chopped rosemary
    5 medium free-range eggs
    20g chopped basil
    50g plain flour
    1½ tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp ground turmeric
    220g grated parmesan, or other mature cheese
    Salt and black pepper
    2 tbsp black sesame seeds (or black onion seeds or plain sesame seeds)
    candles

Happy Birthday

Cauliflower-cake-005.jpg

That looks really delicious (actually) but maybe I can replace the flour with more cauliflower? And the oil with egg whites?

I mean, for a good recipe. I'm looking for a fudgy chocolate iced cauliflower cake here.

WTF??? LOL why on earth call it cake?
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am one of them; Chocolate Covered Katie is way too thin and it is not attractive. Not a healthy endorsement for her WOE.

You don't have to eat cauliflower cake. Make yourself a delicious healthy chocolate cake with almond flour.
  • dailytammy
    dailytammy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    try making an oopsie low carb cake....so yummy
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people are taking this seriously.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    This is totally unrelated to anything in this thread, but if any of you have watermelon on hand, try it with some feta cheese. Such an amazing combination :)

And BASIL. OMG it is to die for. You gotta try it with fresh basil too.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

kt1.jpg?73e30c
    bump.jpg
    momb_thumb.jpg

She is stunningly beautiful girl, but I think a lot of people would say she is too thin.

You think so?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    try making an oopsie low carb cake....so yummy

I'm just making an oopsie....so crummy.
  • tiffanyraylene
    tiffanyraylene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would just indulge in a little bit of real cake:) birthdays only roll around once each year!

BUT this thread is actually pretty fantastic because I have a little guy turning 1 next month and have been looking for a good alternative to a regular birthday cake. He was born with his intestines outside his body and 2/3 of them died and were removed. His gastrointerologist hasn't even okayed fruity baby foods yet because of their higher natural sugar content. So thanks OP! I got a few ideas :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    This is totally unrelated to anything in this thread, but if any of you have watermelon on hand, try it with some feta cheese. Such an amazing combination :)

And BASIL. OMG it is to die for. You gotta try it with fresh basil too.

I had one of these salads once actually, I can vouch for it, it's great.