You guys really like to over complicate things.

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Picking up on my previous post, it seems to me there are only 2 reasons to post on the forums (3 if you want to count trolling. I choose not to):

1.You are looking for some answers/help from others.

2. You are looking to provide answers/help to others.

Given this, my question to the OP is, why are you posting in the weight loss and weight gain forums at all if you already know all the answers, and you are annoyed with the (wrong in your opinion) questions and answers posted by others?

I think your answer to this question is in the 3rd option, which you chose not to include.

Anyone else notice the same 3-4 20 something yr old guys with large muscles and no heads, who have ganged up to troll the threads in the past couple of weeks?
    They must have gotten really bored with the BB forums and came here to have a little fun.
    Maybe if we don't feed them, they will go away.

I noticed this too. Fortunately, the 'ignore button' is just as effective. Use it with impunity. You'll weed out all the unhelpful stuff, easy peasy!

I bet you ignore anyone who disagrees with your opinion. Age isn't a good measure of intelligence or knowledge, which is obvious if you read the forums enough. Of course you can use age as an excuse not to take advice from someone whether the advice is good or bad.

Since you don't know me, I'll thank you not to judge me.
    Like I said, my journey, my MFP. I'll ignore who I want as it's my perrogotive.
    Thanks anyway, but I didn't ask for anyone's advice. I don't care what anyone'es age is, just noticing a trend.
    Continuing to weed out all the unhelpful white noise. :drinker:
    *Click*

This is an interesting approach to ignoring people.
  • AccioHotBod
    AccioHotBod Posts: 44 Member
    Picking up on my previous post, it seems to me there are only 2 reasons to post on the forums (3 if you want to count trolling. I choose not to):

Given this, my question to the OP is, why are you posting in the weight loss and weight gain forums at all if you already know all the answers, and you are annoyed with the (wrong in your opinion) questions and answers posted by others?

I think your answer to this question is in the 3rd option, which you chose not to include.

Anyone else notice the same 3-4 20 something yr old guys with large muscles and no heads, who have ganged up to troll the threads in the past couple of weeks?
    They must have gotten really bored with the BB forums and came here to have a little fun.

I noticed this too. Fortunately, the 'ignore button' is just as effective. Use it with impunity. You'll weed out all the unhelpful stuff, easy peasy!

I bet you ignore anyone who disagrees with your opinion. Age isn't a good measure of intelligence or knowledge, which is obvious if you read the forums enough. Of course you can use age as an excuse not to take advice from someone whether the advice is good or bad.

Thanks anyway, but I didn't ask for anyone's advice. I don't care what anyone'es age is, just noticing a trend.
    *Click*

Soon enough her posts will be the only ones she will be able to read on MFP.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member

I'm guessing she'll end up with about 10 people on ignore. No biggie. The information presented in the OP is provided by hundreds of people every day, generally without aggression or condescension.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member

I'm guessing she'll end up with about 10 people on ignore. No biggie. The information presented in the OP is provided by hundreds of people every day, generally without aggression or condescension.

You're absolutely right. :wink:

Not sure why choosing to stay above the fray is such an issue with some. I take issue with the hostility and choose not to be baited into debates that are one person's opinion against another's. Any question that has ever popped into my head about losing weight and working out has been asked or will be asked and I will still reap the benefit of MFP's abstract of anecdotal information. Despite how long my Ignore list grows, my journey continues. :drinker:
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    It is amazing how upset people get when someone post what is on their mind....... Do you not realize you are responding with your own opinion?

Lol oh the power of Freedom of speach

BTW I agree with OP as a female...... Ladies check out "Lady Beast" It is all about lifting heavy and still looking like a lady. Some amazing women on that site.

It's also amazing how people can post something without realizing how judgey they sound. Starting things off with "You guys" is not the best way to sound like a helper. It's too bad that people got offended, but I can see how it happened.

This thread isn't judgmental at all, I said "you guys" meaning this section. I did not mean a type of person. It's a shame some people are offended by it, and also my age lol.

As for everyone else who disagrees with my OP, read the thread or at least the first 10 pages, hopefully it changes your mind.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    tomorrow is caturday, cant wait for this thread to blow up!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

*Click*

I don't think ignore means what someone here thinks it means.
  • This thread has about as much arguing as a youtube video's comments..
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    This post contradicts my whole last 4 months of plateauing at 1200, 1600 and 1900 calories while doing cardio. I'm eating under maintenance, I'm burning a bunch of calories doing insanity and I'm not losing weight. How do I fit into your simplistic "this is all you have to do" theory?
  • Lots of people disagreeing are just wrong on the terms. "Eating at a deficit" is not the same as "thinking you are eating at a deficit".

I call your estimate of deficit according to calculations the "nominal deficit", and it has to be understood that it is always more or less than your ACTUAL deficit, because you never burn the same cals day to day.

But if you measure your body mass, and compare the numbers over time, it's simple and possible to figure out the difference between you nominal and actual deficits. It's simple accounting.

I can't agree that the OP's tone is helpful. But then again, I understand how frustrating it is to read threads like the one about weight gain from smoking cessation, where the person dismisses perfectly good advice with an excuse, and continues to look for special explanations or tricks that won't involve eating less food. And since the pattern is so common, it's really, really unlikely that this one time, the person is right. It's possible, but it's also "possible" for a ball to stay suspended instead of obeying the laws of gravity. Al that has to change is the laws of nature.

Good post!! THINKING you are at a deficit is different than BEING at a deficit. If you can accurately record calories in and out, you've accomplished a lot right there. Weigh stuff. Standardize it. In most "nutrition facts" you can get a weight = a certain number of calories.
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    This post contradicts my whole last 4 months of plateauing at 1200, 1600 and 1900 calories while doing cardio. I'm eating under maintenance, I'm burning a bunch of calories doing insanity and I'm not losing weight. How do I fit into your simplistic "this is all you have to do" theory?

I'm sorry to tell you, but you're doing something wrong, you may be under calcing food, over calcing workouts?

I never said it was easy, just that it's simple, calories in vs calories out.

edit: plateauing is normal with weight loss, you just need to recalculate your maintenance again and drop cals.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    roll
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

I'm sorry to tell you, but you're doing something wrong, you may be under calcing food, over calcing workouts?

edit: plateauing is normal with weight loss, you just need to recalculate your maintenance again and drop cals.

^^This.

Rolled.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    It is amazing how upset people get when someone post what is on their mind....... Do you not realize you are responding with your own opinion?

Lol oh the power of Freedom of speach

BTW I agree with OP as a female...... Ladies check out "Lady Beast" It is all about lifting heavy and still looking like a lady. Some amazing women on that site.

It's also amazing how people can post something without realizing how judgey they sound. Starting things off with "You guys" is not the best way to sound like a helper. It's too bad that people got offended, but I can see how it happened.

This thread isn't judgmental at all, I said "you guys" meaning this section. I did not mean a type of person. It's a shame some people are offended by it, and also my age lol.

As for everyone else who disagrees with my OP, read the thread or at least the first 10 pages, hopefully it changes your mind.

The information in it was absolutely correct. It was the presentation that ran afoul. Read Sarauk2sf's OP on not complicating things and check it against yours. ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it )

You are saying the same thing basically, but she went about it in a manner that was clearly helpful, and many people have been grateful for it. No one complained even once. She is, in fact, one of the nicest people on MFP with well over 15k posts. She has even called me out once for wording things in such a way that would cause someone to take offense, even when none was intended.

Your OP could have come across a lot better if it had been worded in such a way as to be helpful. Better communication from the start would have avoided all the negative posts. At the same time, it made this thread interesting, did it not? :wink: :laugh:
  • mrswine

^^This.

Rolled.

I have done that 3 times giving each time about 8 weeks adjustment, wear a heart rate monitor with a chest strap and weigh and measure my food. I have calculated TDEE and subtracted, adjusted macros, switched up my exercise. Maybe since you know EXACTLY how to do it, you should figure out what I should eat and how much exercise - since its so simple, I must be an idiot.
  • RGv2

^^This.

Rolled.

I have done that 3 times giving each time about 8 weeks adjustment, wear a heart rate monitor with a chest strap and weigh and measure my food. I have calculated TDEE and subtracted, adjusted macros, switched up my exercise. Maybe since you know EXACTLY how to do it, you should figure out what I should eat and how much exercise - since its so simple, I must be an idiot.

Last part seems a bit uncalled for, but I'll try to help anyway.

Is it possible that your calories expended via exercise isn't correct, that the HRM might be giving you an overestimated calorie burn and you're eating closer to maintenance than you think? You're also doing all cardio, what about adding strength training?

And, even though the scale isn't moving have you been tracking measurements? It is possible to lose size, but not lose weight.
  • PikaKnight

^^This.

Rolled.

Is it possible that your calories expended via exercise isn't correct and that you may be eating closer to maintenance than you think? You're also doing all cardio, what about adding strength training.

And, even though the scale isn't moving have you been tracking measurements. It is possible to lose size, but not lose weight.

^this. have you lost measurement wise?
  • mrswine

^^This.

Rolled.

Is it possible that your calories expended via exercise isn't correct and that you may be eating closer to maintenance than you think? You're also doing all cardio, what about adding strength training.

And, even though the scale isn't moving have you been tracking measurements. It is possible to lose size, but not lose weight.

I apologize if it was uncalled for... I am offended by the whole threads "it is so simple" attitude. I am working on my doctorate - its not simple for me. I am wearing a bodymedia fit to try to find exactly how much I am burning. My bmr is 1534, my tdee is 2378. I have been eating at 1900 calories for over two months with no loss after coming to the conclusion that I may have been in a plateau because I wasn't eating enough again. I started eating at 1200 calories in the beginning (out of ignorance) and plateaued. Upped to 1600 and plateaued after 6 weeks. Gradually increased to 1900 and didn't lose. I am trying NOW to eat at bmr plus exercise calories which range from 600-700 calories doing insanity. No weight loss so far, but its only been two weeks.

I have not lost inches in months and my pictures look relatively the same as they did in april. Clothes are no looser. I am not lifting eights, as I am doing Insanity and its not advised to do additional exercise. What am I doing wrong!?
  • PikaKnight

^^This.

Rolled.

I apologize if it was uncalled for... I am offended by the whole threads "it is so simple" attitude. I am working on my doctorate - its not simple for me. I am wearing a bodymedia fit to try to find exactly how much I am burning. My bmr is 1534, my tdee is 2378. I have been eating at 1900 calories for over two months with no loss after coming to the conclusion that I may have been in a plateau because I wasn't eating enough again. I started eating at 1200 calories in the beginning (out of ignorance) and plateaued. Upped to 1600 and plateaued after 6 weeks. Gradually increased to 1900 and didn't lose. I am trying NOW to eat at bmr plus exercise calories which range from 600-700 calories doing insanity. No weight loss so far, but its only been two weeks.

I have not lost inches in months and my pictures look relatively the same as they did in april. Clothes are no looser. I am not lifting eights, as I am doing Insanity and its not advised to do additional exercise. What am I doing wrong!?

I think there is a possibility you are overestimating the calories for Insanity. Have you tried logging it under circuit training? Are the calorie burns the same?

Also...I do weight training and that has more helped with body composition than anything else. I lost 60lbs and went from 22/24 to 18 doing only cardio. Started weight training and fluctuated between another 1-10lb loss and 3-5 months, went from 18 to 14. I've continued to fluctuate between the 10lb loss, but my body is definitely re-shaping itself. If you want, I'll PM you so you can see for yourself.

But ...back to your calories...I do think you are overestimating the burn.
  • RGv2

^^This.

Rolled.

I'm not super familiar with Insanity, but how long is a session? 6-700 calories sounds kind of high IMHO.