Cauliflower Birthday Cake?

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would just indulge in a little bit of real cake:) birthdays only roll around once each year!

BUT this thread is actually pretty fantastic because I have a little guy turning 1 next month and have been looking for a good alternative to a regular birthday cake. He was born with his intestines outside his body and 2/3 of them died and were removed. His gastrointerologist hasn't even okayed fruity baby foods yet because of their higher natural sugar content. So thanks OP! I got a few ideas :)

Aww, I'm sorry about that. Hope your little one recovers as much as possible as fast as possible. :flowerforyou:
  • soleimana
    Options
    3rcpwj.jpg
    Hi all!

My birthday is in a few short weeks and I'm looking for a good cauliflower birthday cake recipe. I'd like it to have only a handful of carbs, and of course no refined flour or sugar and preferably low fat, and high fiber. I'm really trying to make it a clean birthday cake. Thanks for your help!!!

:flowerforyou:
    So far down the thread I'm sure nobody will get to this, but...

Okay, let's review our macros: CARBS - FAT - PROTEINS
    Now, all food fall's into at least 1 of those 3 categories, many foods are a combination of at least 2 of these categories.
    You are going to have a really hard time if you severely restrict any one category let alone 2 of the 3 categories.

COMPLEX CARBS
    HAPPY FATS (plant and fish based)
    LEAN PROTEINS

P.S. Can you let me know how to get fiber without carbs?
    Pretty sure OP is asking for ONE food (a cakey recipe) and not an entire meal that fits those specifications. Having made a delicious cauliflower pizza crust and figured out some ways to go low-calorie with traditional bready things, I more than understand OP's request.

Take a look at http://minimalistbaker.com/recipes/ for some ideas, imo, you might find something you want to use or alter.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon Cauliflower Coffee Cake

May not be 100% clean, but it's another to add to the list. LOL

INGREDIENTS:

Cake
    •2 c whole spelt flour
    •1/4 c arrowroot or tapioca flour
    •1 tsp cinnamon*
    •1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    •1/2 tsp baking soda
    •1/2 tsp sea salt
    •1 c cauliflower puree from approx 500g [1.1 lb] florets
    •2 Tbsp lemon juice
    •1/2 c coconut oil, melted – divided
    •1/4 c rice syrup
    •1/4 c honey
    •3 eggs

Filling
    •1 Tbsp dark rum or bourbon* + 1 Tbsp warm water
    •1/3 c sultanas [raisins]
    •1/3 c walnuts, chopped
    •1 tsp cinnamon
    •1 Tbsp coconut sugar

METHOD:

Preheat oven to 180C [350F]. Grease and flour a 24 cm [10 inch] bundt/tube pan.

Prepare Filling:

Combine sultanas with rum and water and set aside to soak for 15 minutes. Squeeze liquid from the sultanas and reserve to drizzle over batter later.

Chop sultanas roughly, combine with remaining filling ingredients and set aside.

Prepare Cake:

Sift together dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.

Steam cauliflower florets 10-15 minutes until very soft and allow to cool. Puree steamed cauliflower well and measure out 1 slightly heaped cup. Set any remaining puree aside or eat it immediately, whatever.

Blend the 1 cup of puree with half the coconut oil and all the lemon juice, until very smooth and velvety like sour cream.

Add remaining oil, syrup, honey and eggs to the cauliflower mixture and whisk or blend briefly until well mixed. Fold wet ingredients into dry, stirring only until just combined.

Spoon just under half the batter into your prepared pan and smooth with the back of a spoon, being very careful not to hit the side and scrape off your flour. Sprinkle 1/2 a cup of the filling evenly around the centre of the batter*. The leftover filling will be used for your Caramel Sauce.

Top filling layer with remaining batter, making sure to scrape as much as possible out of the bowl. Smooth gently with the back of a spoon. Drizzle over 1 Tbsp of the reserved sultana soaking liquid – do not stir.

Bake for 40-45 minutes until the cake is golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Dust with a bit of icing sugar if desired – it covers a multitude of sins and looks posh. Serve with Coffee Cake Caramel Sauce – see recipe below.

Makes 1 cake. Serves 8-12 people.

*NOTES:
    •If you can get your hands on Vietnamese Cinnamon use it here. The scent and flavour is intoxicating.
    •I layered the filling twice, first spooning in 1/3 of the batter topped by a handful of filling and repeating the layers, ending with the final 1/3 of the batter. However I felt that there was not quite enough batter to cover the filling well, so the above recipe simply puts it all in the middle of the cake.
    •Rum or burboun can be replaced with apple juice but it’s not nearly as fun.

~~~

Coffee Cake Caramel Sauce

Use this sweet sauce to drizzle over your Cauliflower Coffee Cake for an extra special treat. You won’t need much!

INGREDIENTS:

•leftover sultana and walnut filling from Coffee Cake
    •1 Tbsp rice syrup
    •1 Tbsp honey
    •1/4 c water
    •2 tsp dark rum or bourbon

METHOD:

Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan. Simmer for 8 minutes until it just starts to become syrupy, sauce will thicken further as it cools.

Serve over Cauliflower Coffee Cake, ice cream, yoghourt, porridge… well you get the point.

Makes enough for one cake.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Check out Chocolate Covered Katie - she has lots of healthy desserts.

Yes, let's check her out...shall we?

kt1.jpg?73e30c
    bump.jpg
    monacosmallerandforblog.jpg
    momb_thumb.jpg

She is stunningly beautiful girl, but I think a lot of people would say she is too thin.

You think so?
    Yes, very much so, to the point of being unattractive, but I have a few friends who are naturally very thin and eat quite healthy, so they resent being called skinny, so I was trying to be diplomatic. Hopefully she is healthier than she looks.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

My birthday is in a few short weeks and I'm looking for a good cauliflower birthday cake recipe. I'd like it to have only a handful of carbs, and of course no refined flour or sugar and preferably low fat, and high fiber. I'm really trying to make it a clean birthday cake. Thanks for your help!!!

:flowerforyou:

Here ya go. And thanks for the idea. Amazing what you can find on google. I will make this cake for my son's best friend's birthday this weekend. He has celiac and this is gluten-free. Looks amazing!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/06/18/cauliflower-chocolate-cake/

Oops, billsica beat me to it!

Now, I do agree the cauliflower stuff is goofy but anything from chocolatecoveredkatie kicks azzzz!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    JIbnOtA.jpg
  • canadiangirl014
    canadiangirl014 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What you need

For the Cake:
    ¾ cup all-purpose cauliflower
    ½ teaspoon baking cauliflower
    ½ teaspoon cauliflower
    1 teaspoon baking cauliflower
    1 cauliflower
    ½ cup cauliflower
    ¾ cup white cauliflower chips
    2 cups frozen cauliflower, thawed
    ½ cup cauliflower
    2 tablespoons cauliflower

For the Topping:
    1 package instant cauliflower
    2 cups cauliflower

How you make it
    Preheat your oven to 350 F
    Line a 8 inch brownie pan with parchment paper
    In a large bowl combine cauliflower, baking cauliflower, cauliflower, baking cauliflower and cauliflower.
    In a blender mix cauliflower, cauliflower chips, cauliflower, cauliflower and cauliflower until smooth.
    Fold wet ingredients into dry ones until just combined
    Pour batter in baking form and bake for 35 minutes
    Immediately after taking it out of the oven poke holes with the end of a wooden spoon into the cake
    Prepare cauliflower pudding with only 2 cups of cauliflower instead of 3 and pour (while still liquid) over cake
    Place in fridge for at least 3 hours before serving

Yes!! This one is perfect! I'm going to make it for my daughter's Sweet 16th. She'll love it, right? Right?
  • crazorbaq
    crazorbaq Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    JIbnOtA.jpg

Really? B/c I was thinking POT...LMAO.....
  • 8bitAlina
    8bitAlina Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Also, I can't decide which is more disturbing: The thought that OP really DOES want a cauliflower cake or the fact that there are actually recipes for it.

QFT. Who looks at a cauliflower and thinks "You know what, I bet I could make a cake out of that!"
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

kt1.jpg?73e30c
    bump.jpg
    momb_thumb.jpg

She is stunningly beautiful girl, but I think a lot of people would say she is too thin.

You think so?
    Yes, very much so, to the point of being unattractive, but I have a few friends who are naturally very thin and eat quite healthy, so they resent being called skinny, so I was trying to be diplomatic. Hopefully she is healthier than she looks.
    I wonder what a quick perusal of google would turn up? Also, are you naturally very thin friends into eating things that are as natural as cauliflower in cake?
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Also, I can't decide which is more disturbing: The thought that OP really DOES want a cauliflower cake or the fact that there are actually recipes for it.

QFT. Who looks at a cauliflower and thinks "You know what, I bet I could make a cake out of that!"

These guys:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFXzFYf4FkRyQ41AnkibH9DO-plsFdJ47paYVH-z0okKnI_vBy
  • JENNTF
    JENNTF Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't know about a cauliflower Birthday Cake, but a friend of mine makes amazing cupcakes using Zucchini. Her kids have crap tons of foo allergies so she has to improvise. You could probably Google a recipe.
  • Stephanie_Jean
    Stephanie_Jean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ha ha!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

kt1.jpg?73e30c
    bump.jpg
    momb_thumb.jpg

You think so?
    I wonder what a quick perusal of google would turn up? Also, are you naturally very thin friends into eating things that are as natural as cauliflower in cake?
    Nah, they eat a lot of normal food, just are really active and have always been very slender. Fast metabolisms, i guess. I did google just for fun and of course most people think she is way too thin and might have an eating disorder and so on, but... who knows really? She swears up and down that she eats what she wants when she wants.... For myself, I would never want to be that thin and I would be worried about anyone in my life who was that thin, if I thought they were severely undereating.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    ed27e097_modulescopperminealbumsuserpics72330Cauliflower.jpeg

This is the only acceptable cauliflower birthday cake.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    ed27e097_modulescopperminealbumsuserpics72330Cauliflower.jpeg

This is the only acceptable cauliflower birthday cake.

Agreed.
    /thread
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people are taking this seriously.

lol I know.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    omg, those picture of Chocolate Covered Katie are awful. I've never seen her before, only visited her blog. Wow.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have NOT tried this recipe ( i dont have a food processor) its not a cake recipe, its brownies. You may be able to tweak it and make it a cake recipe. http://thevedge.org/2013/07/the-ultimate-raw-vegan-brownies-gluten-free/