Frustrated, even furious

Options

Replies

• pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have been following this thread (I know, I'm a glutton for punishment) and I still don't know what the OP is looking for.

She directly asked if your body ever adjusts to starvation mode and allows you to continue to lose weight (on two occasions, that I can recall). And since most people here don't advocate (nay, abhor) starvation, I'm not sure she's going to get that answer from us :)
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    you are probably putting your body in starvation mode so when it does get the food it holds onto it and stores as fat. May want to try and get int he habit of eating every 2-4 hours

I could cry, I really could.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options

I want to adjust my eating habit to a point where I eat healthy, I lose all the weight I need to lose, then I just maintain - without thinking much about it.

How are you going to achieve this goal? Most people here have the same goal, and we have tools and smaller action goals that can be used to achieve this big goal. It sounds like you have a nebulous desire (be fit and healthy) and the only action goal you're willing to adhere to is to guestimate calories and undereat.

You say you want to eat intuitively, but what I think you're not hearing is that you have to build that "intuition" with specific tools and habits. Which takes both time (yes, there is no getting around it) and a willingness to hear and consider the experiences of people who have lost weight.

I say this with sympathy- I came to this site with plenty of kooky, disordered ideas about how to lose weight- I thought that dedication meant dedication to deprivation, and I've been pleasantly surprised to learn that I'm wrong. And I'm pretty willing to just straight up tell you, OP, your thinking and way of approaching your goals right now are dead wrong. Best of luck, take good care of yourself.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    I have been following this thread (I know, I'm a glutton for punishment) and I still don't know what the OP is looking for.

She's looking for someone who has a secret way to not eat, not exercise, not be hungry and still make the perfect body appear.

Wonder if they'll show up.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for other ideas beside calorie counting then....why ask MFP? It's a calorie counting website. you'd do better to try forums that aren't based on a calorie counting tool.
    To be honest, I was under the impression this was more like a place of support for people who are trying to lose weight, get in shape, and be healthy, generally speaking - regardless of the specific method they use to reach these goals.
    I did not realize it had a "religious cult" dimension and that only those who zealously log their food intake every day can participate.

Ma'am, you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. This is like me coming to a Weight Watchers meeting and then throwing a fit because they expected me to use their points system and weigh in once a week.
    I respectfully specified from the beginning that calorie counting doesn't work for me, personally. This should certainly not give people license to assume that anyone for whom calorie logging doesn't work is "lazy", "stubborn" or just all-around an "unreasonable" person. Neither should people assume that just because their schedule and family structure appears to be largely the same with someone else's, that means they are equally busy. Despite all of us being generally busy nowadays, there are incredibly variations in the amount of "business" and pressures each of us deals with.

You did not give reasons why it doesn't work. You gave reasons why you don't want to. There is a difference, oddly enough. I think a good example would be your constant hunger and irritability vs actually losing weight in a healthy and enjoyable manner. YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY BUSY PERSON ON THIS PLANET. You created your own schedule, so either defecate or get off the pot.
    FOR ME - and again, I emphasize FOR ME!! - calorie counting is not just unpractical and time consuming (yes, I have tried it on this very site and it is very time consuming), but also psychologically unhealthy. I do not want to obsess over a specific "food journey" or "weight loss" journey every day.

You already spent all the time it would ave taken you to log your food sitting in this forum arguing with everyone about why you are such a special snowflake that nothing we advised, advice you actually asked for, will work. My 7 year old often does that, and he's just now getting the idea that if he just does the work without grumbling, its over before he knows it.
    I want to adjust my eating habit to a point where I eat healthy, I lose all the weight I need to lose, then I just maintain - without thinking much about it.
    Do I expect to be able to stuff my face with pizza and cake all day without giving it a thought - and maintain a healthy weight? Obviously not.

If this worked, none of us would be overweight, would we? I don't know how to explain it to you any more clearly without breaking out the crayon box, but here I go again: you have to put effort in to gain reward. You can not just *wish* yourself thin. And in regards to obsessing, you are already obsessing. You slave over these gourmet meals that are nearly impossible to log, just so you can eat less. You are obsessively arguing about how little you can eat without becoming an ill person, which draws unintentional irony from the fact that you came here because of a health scare.
    But this where common sense steps in.

One would think, yet here you are explaining why nothing will work for you!!
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options

Not advice that differs from her own perspectives, that's for sure :indifferent:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

She's looking for someone who has a secret way to not eat, not exercise, not be hungry and still make the perfect body appear.

And some wonder why snake oil salesmen make money . . .
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options

She directly asked if your body ever adjusts to starvation mode and allows you to continue to lose weight (on two occasions, that I can recall). And since most people here don't advocate (nay, abhor) starvation, I'm not sure she's going to get that answer from us :)

I would still want to know.
    What happens if you keep going like that - eating in such a way that you are always slightly hungry?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I admit, I haven't read most of the responses. Some of the people have been saying that you may be eating more than you think, but if you're gaining on a *slight* splurge of 1500 calories, you are not putting on fat. You seem to have developed a very unhealthy relationship with food.

GoKaleo has just done a series of dieting and when it doesn't work. The first post in the series sounds like it was written specifically for you. I'd recommend you give it a read and then check out the rest of the series:

http://gokaleo.com/2013/08/16/what-to-expect-when-you-stop-dieting-part-1-who-is-this-post-for/
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for other ideas beside calorie counting then....why ask MFP? It's a calorie counting website. you'd do better to try forums that aren't based on a calorie counting tool.

To be honest, I was under the impression this was more like a place of support for people who are trying to lose weight, get in shape, and be healthy, generally speaking - regardless of the specific method they use to reach these goals.
    I did not realize it had a "religious cult" dimension and that only those who zealously log their food intake every day can participate.

I respectfully specified from the beginning that calorie counting doesn't work for me, personally. This should certainly not give people license to assume that anyone for whom calorie logging doesn't work is "lazy", "stubborn" or just all-around an "unreasonable" person. Neither should people assume that just because their schedule and family structure appears to be largely the same with someone else's, that means they are equally busy. Despite all of us being generally busy nowadays, there are incredibly variations in the amount of "business" and pressures each of us deals with.

FOR ME - and again, I emphasize FOR ME!! - calorie counting is not just unpractical and time consuming (yes, I have tried it on this very site and it is very time consuming), but also psychologically unhealthy. I do not want to obsess over a specific "food journey" or "weight loss" journey every day.

Do I expect to be able to stuff my face with pizza and cake all day without giving it a thought - and maintain a healthy weight? Obviously not.

But this where common sense steps in.

You want to adjust your eating habits, but you don't have an accurate assessment of what those habits are...check.

You want to eat healthy, but you also want us to support you by agreeing to your low calorie approach....check.

Everyone is busy, but you are so much busier than everyone else that we can't possibly know what it's like so we can't possibly give you decent advice....check check.

You know what? I'm on these boards a lot (way more than I should be but, then again, I have time to tie my shoes). Every day I read a story about a single parent (mothers AND fathers) who work, take care of the kids, cook healthy meals and exercise.

Maybe you should talk to them about busy. You can explain what it's like to have a partner to help with the kids and a job that (I assume) pays well enough to get some help. And then you can try to convince them why you can't do what they can do because you're just so darn busy.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options

LOL! I love it! Madtown has her pegged!
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options

What happens if you keep going like that - eating in such a way that you are always slightly hungry?

Um, I'm not an expert, but, I'm thinking a little something called anorexia?
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Oh am sorry, but I have rarely read such a sleazy straw-man of an argument.

Intensively working out 4-6 times a week is "looking for way to have the perfect body without exercising?".

You have lost pretty much any trace of credibility your posts were still preserving.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Im sorry but your post sounds like a rant that just about every woman or person for that matter wants to make ..get over it...really ...no one has time to log no one has time to workout but we have to do it if we want to succeed....do you have goals?..if you do then you have to do what it takes to get there. your diet wont be like anyone elses so don't keep looking to the message boards and comparing that's probably mistake number 1......just saying...find what works for you and just keep plugging away...there is no finish line...so stop looking for one.....its called life and being healthy for the rest of it,
  • Amberry123
    Amberry123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You DO NOT have a good understanding of nutrition if you are, for whatever reason, eating 900-1200 calories. Thats how much an average 10 year old needs. I suggest you actually gain some nutrition knowledge before your body starts shutting down, because it will.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think you just gained water weight, honestly. So, no worries. Our weight fluctuates even throughout the day. Try eating more protein, especially if you are eating clean. If you don't, I find that you are always hungry (from experience; I felt like I was going to die).
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

Ooohhh, sorry, I can't help you there. I eat in a way that leaves me feeling satisfied and satiated, and I still lose weight.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options

Oh am sorry, but I have rarely read such a sleazy straw-man of an argument.

Intensively working out 4-6 times a week is "looking for way to have the perfect body without exercising?".

You have lost pretty much any trace of credibility your posts were still preserving.

With all due respect, at your calorie level there's absolutely no way you're working out 'intensively'.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Please let me know if they do. I need that magic elixir. :drinker:

I get this. I really do. I got so disordered five years ago that I was carrying around a pocket scale, picking apart my food at restaurants, and logging everything down to the tenth of a gram. That was psychologically unhealthy, and it took over four years and gaining back 40 pounds before I got things back under some semblance of control. But you need to understand, that nutso obsessive-compulsive behavior is the opposite extreme from not logging your food at all; logging your food in a reasonable and realistic way is NOT. It is the middle way.

To answer your starvation question, if you continue to eat at a deficit, yes, eventually you will lose weight. But it will not be fat. Others here have already told you that losing muscle includes losing HEART muscle. And people can and do die of it. It was a long long time ago, but you may have heard of Karen Carpenter. She is just the most visible example of this.

If you wish to leave your children without a mother, by all means, keep doing this.
  • taramazing
    Options
    You're not eating ENOUGH! Have you ever heard of reverse dieting? Google it. And not everyone has to count their calories, no, but you should AT LEAST be keeping track of your macros... and if you have a great understanding of nutrition, then you should know what those macros are.

I find it extremely hard to believe that you're "gaining 2 pounds" after eating 1200 calories. SORRY, but the math doesn't add up. ONE POUND = 3500 calories.

Stop focusing on results, and start focusing on change! change=results