WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2013

Options

Replies

• genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone

Just got back from lawn bowl game and I'm hot. It is supposed to be a hot and humid week here in Ottawa. Bowling in a tournament tomorrow, so must remember to take lots of water with me. Checked on what is being served for lunch and the organizer is going to put some on one side for me with no pepper or mayo so I won't have to make lunch in the morning.

Off to the mall this afternoon to do a walk around and then later will get on with my lace. I completed 2 corners yesterday (it is a rectangle) so feel like I'm making progress. Trying to watch what I'm doing and not make any mistakes, but when all the pins are in, it is hard to see the lace.

Off to make lunch, but first I'll track it.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Gray day here..........nothing new there. Been to the gym for ladies exercise and then some additional time on the weight machines.

I'm a non-drinker but had 2 small glasses of Sangria at the party last evening; it was from Whole Foods and very good. We were saying good-bye to a woman from Spain who supervises the exchange students for our area; she lived the past few weeks with one of my yoga instructors and came to several yoga sessions.

Dee Dee..........your tree looks lovely

Liz.........thanks for the update on your sister

Michele............men!!!! remember I just got the 30yrs.-promised outdoor shed.......I can certainly identify with you on this!!

Welcome newbies.........I know there were more replies, but my mind is blank,sorry.........can I blame the Sangria??????

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon.
    Happy birthday Rhonda.
    Liz,I can appreciate what u said about your car problems.We put alot of money in our van and then the washer broke down,hope sept is better.
    HUGS
    jane
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies. Today is my parents wedding anniversary. If they were still alive it would be 71 years. And event though their bodies wouldn't quite cooperate anymore they would have been happy. When dad died they had been married for 56 years. Mom never took her wedding ring off, even when she broke her leg and the nurses were insisting it had to be taken off I knew from being in nursing that it can be taped on so that's what they did. I am so glad that God has a soul mate already picked out for you and he put the wheels in motion for them to meet. He blessed them with many years of life and happiness. They touched so many people's lives. I also am glad that when a person takes marriage into their own hands that God does continue to bless you with wonderful children and help you through the struggles of life. I was sure Charlie was the right one for me when in fact he wasn't but we made it work because of my parents influence of loving without judging. So happy anniversary Don and grace Peterson. I know you are holding hands and walking through a path of flowers or tomatoes or something in Heaven singing of God's love. You also are finally able to be with you daughter who was taken form us at age 20. I will always love you. You still continue to touch lives. My sister's son was an alcoholic and his Grandpa's death was the turning point in his life. The funeral was barely over and he had checked himself into an intpatient facility and has never looked back. When Mom died both of my brothers had sons that were drug addicts and dealers. One was actually sentenced to an inpatient facility where he stayed a year. Now he is a healthy, happy father of 2 wonderful children and son. The other turned himself around and will give testimony that it was his shame of lying to Grandma when she was in Hospice that caused him to turn around. I love you

Joyce
  • altygirl
    altygirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. I've been missing for some time because my two week vacation at home in England turned into a month of eating too much, drinking too much lovely white wine, and not exercising enough. So now all the weight I lost this spring/summer has gone back on and I'm back to square one. I started back at the gym today and have started logging my food and exercise. In addition, I'm stopping the wine for a while and will stick to sparkling water for a while.

I haven't kept up with the posts so I'll start fresh here.

Just wanted to say hi to Joyce for your lovely post about your parents. Sending you a big hug.

Helen in Needham, MA
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, back from a camping weekend with the grandkids, great fun and lots of laughter they are presious! Not the best time for watching what I ate but could have been so much worse.

:smile: Joyce:we are so lucky to have you here to tell us all your stories I so look forward to them, your family was blessed with true love. Thank you for sharing.

Best wishes to all , hope all who are having troubles get them sorted out okay. And congrats to all the lucky loosers lol.

Juanita in Sudbury
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    bumpiyt...bump......bump!!!
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

We’re back from vacation and I wanted to pop in and say hi even though I don’t have time to read or respond since I’m still catching up at work. Vacation was wonderful, even though we had lousy weather the second half of the week. Thank goodness we got in lots of beach and pool time on Sunday through Tuesday.:glasses: Wednesday we visited Roanoke Island for an art festival where I got some treasures made by local artists. Thursday and Friday were a bust, but we did go to see “The Butler”, which was really good (caution….a tear jerker).:sad:

I am happy to say that I continued with my running routine on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I visited the fitness center on Tuesday, but I must have done something wrong on one of the machines because my legs were aching for days afterward. I might have been a little too enthusiastic! At least I tried, right?:laugh:

Didn’t log or watch what I ate, and I had a gain of three pounds, two of which were gone this morning.

We came back to a broken water heater which is now replaced, thanks to my SIL who came over while the new one was installed this morning (I had to leave for work).

As always, I want to extend a warm welcome to all of the newcomers. You will feel the love and support of all who post on this thread. I know I do!:heart:

GOALS FOR AUGUST:
    Consistent logging (Pretty good except on vacations)
    Drink at least 9 glasses of water a day (90%)
    Find an exercise class I enjoy (NOT YET!!!)
    RUNNING OUTDOORS (Yep and loving it!)
    LOWER SODIUM FOODS (Working on it!)
    STOP OBSESSING ABOUT FOOD (Hmmmmm…..)

Congrats to all on their success, and (((hugs))) to all who are struggling. Hang in…..it gets better!

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE.:bigsmile:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,327 Member
    Options
    Good evening lovely ladies,

It's been a struggle today with the aftermath of the virus, but I think I'm on the turn! Felt very poorly in the morning but let DH do most of the running around after DGS. I began to feel a bit better after a lunchtime nap, when DGS was asleep. It didn't help to have the painters here, making a lot of dust, all the windows open and the cleaner trying to clean round them! I notice that the lymph glands where I had the cancer surgery are complaining and my breast which had the lumpectomy is all red. I can feel a bit of energy returning now, so hope I'm over the worst.

Deedee- shame about the rain. I think just having the one grandchild to look after is a bit of a luxury. We will find out what two are like soon!

Katla - that must have been a bit scary with the diabetes. Glad you were able to cope. Husbands, on the whole don't know how to care for their own health. It's hard to get mine to eat enough. He so easily loses weight.

LizPlus- what a business you had with the car. I so hate it when any of my machines let me down - I take it personally! It sounds as if that garage was a nightmare! I wish you strength in supporting your sister through this so hard time.

Tracy - welcome!:flowerforyou: I'm sure we are just what you need to get on track.

Vicki- hope you get DH's heart problems sorted. At least you found out about it.

Helen - I'm glad you had a nice indulgent holiday. Wine is nice, especially on holiday, but we do have to call a halt at some point. Good decision to have a bit less! I'm sure quite abit of the weight will be water weight so it wont take you as long as you think to get back on track.

My new fleece lined raincoat arrived today. It's great, really jazzy with its broad red stripes. It is definitely not the sort of thing I would have bought when I was bigger so I feel quite proud of myself for choosing such a 'fun' item. DH likes it. It is certainly different!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Bye for now. Tomorrow we have a Skype session with DGS' s mother, who is obviously missing him :heart: and then we take him back in the evening to the other grandparents ready for them to take him back to London on Wednesday. Then DSIL arrives at 9pm. All would be great if we didn't have the painters making dust everywhere.

Love from Heather in Hampshire UK. (Sunny for the next few days)
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    I thank every one of you for your encouragement about me writing down all my memories. So for now i have decided to start writing them in a notebook or if I can figure out where to put in on my mini Ipad and save it, transfer it etc I will use that. So for now I will call it either 'Recollections of my life' or 'My life through rose colored glasses' or maybe even a combination of the two.

Just finished my session at the Y and am pooped! I am still riding 'my bike' at a more leisurely pace and get 7 miles in. I tried to use the, oh what do you call it? You stand on it and use it with both arms and legs or choose to use just legs. I'm tired enough right now words escape my brain. Anyway I tried to use it using just my arms and just couldn't get it to work and it was very awkward standing on the frame and operating the arms. So I went over and used the stationary sit row but put it at the very minimum weight and it was OK. So I went over to one of the machines like the one that the word escapes my brain and you sit in a seat and operate it. Couldn't do the arms only and after riding 7 miles on the bike my legs just couldn't do it.. So I cleaned up and left, sat out in the lobby and finished my water and crawled out to the car. I don't know why the cat loves to sit on my lap when I get home from the Y. Not sure if she likes the smell of sweat or not but she sure does a lot of smelling of my face. Now watching teen tournament on Jeopardy and then take a shower.

Talk to you all later. Joyce
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We're getting set up for a celebration this weekend. It will be "Thanksgiving" and fun in the sun because DS will be away during regular Thanksgiving, and because it is summer now. Our daughter will be able to join us so I'm feeling very pleased..

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,784 Member
    Options
    evening ladies,
    well im still hungry and because of not alot of exercise ,im at my limit...
    oh well will deal with it,
    sorta out of sorts this afternoon dont know why.. just guess its that kind of day.. and I really need a vacation,but none until October:noway:
    I only get 2 weeks and I have to figure out how to work what I have out to be able to squeak as much time as I can..
    going to get hot for the next few days so the AC will be working again....:sad:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    ]BarbieattheFair2013.jpg

Jake took my picture at the fair when we danced on Sunday. Someone asked me to post a picture so I decided to do it before I forgot. I'll read the posts later and see what everyone else has been doing. One highlight of my day has been the nap I took this afternoon.:yawn:

:heart: Barbie from nice and warm NW Washington
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies. Today is my parents wedding anniversary. If they were still alive it would be 71 years. And event though their bodies wouldn't quite cooperate anymore they would have been happy. When dad died they had been married for 56 years. Mom never took her wedding ring off, even when she broke her leg and the nurses were insisting it had to be taken off I knew from being in nursing that it can be taped on so that's what they did. I am so glad that God has a soul mate already picked out for you and he put the wheels in motion for them to meet. He blessed them with many years of life and happiness. They touched so many people's lives. I also am glad that when a person takes marriage into their own hands that God does continue to bless you with wonderful children and help you through the struggles of life. I was sure Charlie was the right one for me when in fact he wasn't but we made it work because of my parents influence of loving without judging. So happy anniversary Don and grace Peterson. I know you are holding hands and walking through a path of flowers or tomatoes or something in Heaven singing of God's love. You also are finally able to be with you daughter who was taken form us at age 20. I will always love you. You still continue to touch lives. My sister's son was an alcoholic and his Grandpa's death was the turning point in his life. The funeral was barely over and he had checked himself into an intpatient facility and has never looked back. When Mom died both of my brothers had sons that were drug addicts and dealers. One was actually sentenced to an inpatient facility where he stayed a year. Now he is a healthy, happy father of 2 wonderful children and son. The other turned himself around and will give testimony that it was his shame of lying to Grandma when she was in Hospice that caused him to turn around. I love you

Joyce

Now that I am sobbing - this was a beautiful story about your parents. My parents were married for 58 yrs when my dad passed away last year. My mom is doing well, finding the "new" her and volunteering at church. We are lucky to have such an example, which many youth lack today. I am sure your parents and my dad are looking over our shoulders proud that we are taking time to take care of our "temples". Sounds like there have been some tremendous turn-arounds with your nephews, that is such a positive story. You have a lovely way with words....God bless.

Melanie
    USA - NC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Nice pic,Barbie!!
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I didn't sleep well last night so it will be an early night for me tonight. I did get my walk in before work this morning but not too many steps since then.

What a great picture Barbie, thanks for sharing.

Have a good night everyone

:heart: Sandy from Ontario
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Yeah, now we know who Barbie really is!!!!! Great picture.

Melanie I don't know how many years my Dad's parents were married but it was a long time. I really never knew Grandpa where he was healthy. He had Parkinsons's disease and back then there really wasn't much they could do for you. But Grandma did, just love him and make him a part of her and the old farms life. I remember when we would go up there every summer she would pick him up. She had such a small frame and he was a tall guy, didn't weigh much due to his disease. But every day started out with a big kiss. Then you started the day. She would stand him up, kiss him and then help dress him and help him out to the table. He alsways loved his home made breads. I can never remember any kind of pastry there that wasn't home made. I think at son as you crossed the state line into Minnesota you could start smelling the yeast rolls and bread. Anyway when he died Dad would be so worried when he would call his Mom and he couldn't get her on the phone. Over and over again, no answer. Come to find out she was busy going to the store, volunteering, finding a life of her own. She lived in a small apartment in Albert Lea instead of the farm, and not cooking bread! Took a long tie for Dad to accept the new Mom.

Joyce
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just finished my session at the Y and am pooped! I am still riding 'my bike' at a more leisurely pace and get 7 miles in. I tried to use the, oh what do you call it? You stand on it and use it with both arms and legs or choose to use just legs. I'm tired enough right now words escape my brain.
    Joyce - I think the machine you were using was an elliptical - they have taken the place of stair steppers. I use one for cardio.

Jill in western Mass
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    ]BarbieattheFair2013.jpg

Jake took my picture at the fair when we danced on Sunday. Someone asked me to post a picture so I decided to do it before I forgot. I'll read the posts later and see what everyone else has been doing. One highlight of my day has been the nap I took this afternoon.:yawn:

:heart: Barbie from nice and warm NW Washington

Barbie, You look wonderful! Thanks for posting your picture. Your face looks as friendly as your personality reveals you to be. It is a pleasure to know you.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • etak17
    etak17 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Barbie . . . beautiful picture! Infectious smile!

Deedee . . . you too – love your fairy garden.

Joyce . . . so happy you’re going to do more writing – hope you’ll continue to share here.

Heather . . . hope you’re feeling better – what a rotten time to come down with something – just as DGS is visiting and you’re having more guests.

Liz in Halifax . . . your sister must so love having your love and support. So sorry you’re having so many car problems.

Katla . . . Thanksgiving in August – you could be on to something! Enjoy being with your family.

I know I missed many of you. Hope all is well and if not, that it gets better.

I’ve been having a difficult time the last few days. My husband and I are going on vacation in a couple of weeks and we still have a lot of planning and preparation to do.

We go on “scooter” vacations – this will be our 3rd year. We ride our motor scooters on back roads and travel only 2-300 miles a day. We spend about half the time camping, the other half in motels, B&B’s, etc. It’s a wonderful way to see the country. Two years ago we did New England - 3 weeks – 7 states; last year we went to Wisc for a big scooter rally - 4 weeks - 7 states and 1 province (Ontario). This year we have 5 weeks (but not sure if we’ll be gone for the full 5) and we’re heading north to Eastern Canada – Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and hopefully, Quebec, as my grandmother’s family was from the Gaspe Peninsula.

So . . . I love vacations, I love traveling, but I am always a mess beforehand. My anxiety goes sky high, and I feel paralyzed and overwhelmed. I’m also a wreck about work because I have to get caught up and leave everything ready for the person who will be covering for me. Depression, anxiety and ADD don’t help in these situations!

I’m eating too much and not very well. But I’m trying not to make it into too big of a deal, as I’m already so stressed. I don’t think I’ll do too badly on vacation – for one thing, I can’t do my “nonstop eating” while riding a scooter!

Thanks for listening :flowerforyou:

Kate in Brooklyn