Is my husband sabotaging my weight loss? HELP!

Options

Replies

• Ccuser99
    Ccuser99 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sabotage would entail your husband sneaking things into your food. Perhaps baking a giant chocolate bar into a meatloaf, or filling the salt shaker with sugar.

He's just being nice. Eat the treats, or don't.

If it helps, you can send the galaxy counters to other MFPers in the USA. Maybe some smarties if it's handy.

lol I didn't realise you couldn't get them out there! Maybe I should move to the USA???
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It is careless of your husband to bring this home for you (if he knows how you feel about it)
    If you havnt spoken to him about it and continue to eat the chocolate then why is he going to think that this is an issue?
    Just communicate with him :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    but I really can't say no to chocolate if it is in the house.

thats just silly.

silly but honest

well see, no. it's not.
    you CAN say no. you are an adult...if you want this bad enough you will make it happen.
    responsibility falls on you, not your husband.
    handle it.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    but I really can't say no to chocolate if it is in the house.

thats just silly.

silly but honest

Honest in what sense? You control your own willpower, no one else. If you eat the chocolate it's because you wanted to eat it, not because your husband put it in the house with the purposes of making you fat.

Communication is the foundation to a healthy relationship. If you're upset with him bringing food home that you think is "sabotaging" your weight loss, then talk to HIM about it. If he decides he still wants to eat what he wants, then so be it. He's an adult. So are you :flowerforyou:
  • carmenmiranda1
    carmenmiranda1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just saying, "My husband brings home chocolates," is not enough information to say whether he is trying to sabotage you, or be nice.

Both sides here are kinda right. You ARE responsible for what you put in your mouth, but it is also true that sometimes, especially when you're first starting out, the temptation is too great.

You're changing your approach to food, and that might be confusing to your husband. If he sees you eating a big piece of fudge cake for breakfast, you shouldn't be surprised if he is confused about why you might not want chocolates as a gift from him.

My husband is super supportive, but he's not psychic. So I need to tell him how to help.

For me, I probably cannot handle having someone bring in pizza and chocolates in the first three days of my diet/lifestyle change/whatever you want to call it. Once I've gotten some momentum, in week 3 or whatever, I don't care. You could eat the most amazing thing in the world in front of me, and I can handle it.

So I think it's perfectly appropriate to ask your hubby to help you for the first week or two--not to make a permanent lifestyle change himself, but just to help you out. Then, when you've gotten some momentum, you can practice refusing, or practice having a single chocolate.

Another thing that I find helps is having things that come in single servings. For example, instead of a block of cheese that I cut bits off of, I buy those mini babybel cheeses. Because I can go to the fridge and get just one, whereas if I'm trying to cut a piece of cheese off of a huge brick, I'm more likely to cut a slightly larger piece or even an extra slice. The more I have to play with my food, the more likely I am to fall off the wagon.

So if you get to the place where you want to practice moderation, don't buy the big bag of chocolate--see if you can find little single-serving Halloween or kids' lunchbox types. It might be easier to grab a single little packet, with few enough that you can work it into your plan, than to buy a big bag and pretend you're going to take out one at a time.

There is no such thing as "I absolutely cannot." But there is such a thing as, "This is too hard for me right now." So make a plan for strength-training your self-control.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    he only person who can sabatoge your weight loss is YOU. You are the one that makes the choice to eat it. If he brings it home, throw it in the garbage.
  • CandelLife
    CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I agree with everyone who has slated me for eating the crappy foods, and yes you are right, I did make the cake myself and as I am the only one in the household who liked the beetroot choc cake, I felt obliged to eat it all then start again once it had all gone, but you are right and I realised what I was doing yesterday. A hard lesson learned, but I did throw away the remaining cake yesterday and managed to get through the whole day without eating any chocolate! :)

I made the cake because I had grown the beetroot in my allotment and didn't know what to make with it, so i looked up recipies online and that one jumped out at me as delicious! (no surprise there) In heindseight, I should have made something less delicious (to me anyway) and something more healthy.

I have spoken to hubby and he has agreed not to ask me if I want choc any more and not to buy me any choc gifts. I love him dearly and I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but you have shown me that tbf I was the one who was sabotaging my own weight loss and thank you for showing me this. I also have realised that yes, I do have a problem with sweet foods and I have to address this. I don't tend to buy it in, but the baking has got to stop.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

YOU MADE THE EXACT RIGHT DECISIONS!

I am so proud of you! Realizing it and admitting it is the hardest part. You are in control of you, and by the way it sounds like you have a pretty special husband! I agree with adding healthy foods, you need to focus on "real" food over processed and PLEASE try to drink at least 8 cups of water per day or more. Water is so very important, it cleans your system and helps everything process the way it should through your body. Log your water too, not just your food.

Kudos to you!!!!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Great job!!

By the way, there's nothing WRONG with throwing out something that's unhealthy after you've satisfied the craving. Or bringing it to work. Or giving it to people who would enjoy it (I'm military so we always give things to the security guys or leave things in the breakroom).
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Your husband is being nice and bringing you nome stuff just to be sweet?!

Please, for the sake of all women, do not complain About that.

Just don't eat the chocolate. If he sees you aren't eating the chocolate, he will probably switch to something else.

Also remember, it may be his way of trying to give you a treat you won't allow yourself.

It's not sabotage, it's being nice. :)
  • KenFarel
    Options
    Hi everyone

My goal was 85kg , I`ve lost already about 30 kilos with some trick but I am looking for a improving my life for a long term, I mean I want to start live healthy way. This what I`ve tried was pure green coffee extract you can read a lot of reviews here

http://www.supplementwarehouse.us/category/weightlossproducts/

but that is not the point, what really suprised me it`s exercises didn`t helped me. I read hundreds of posts about how important is to excersize couple of times a week so I`ve tried that for a year and my results was -5 kilos only, 3-4 times a week swimming for hour didn`t helped. Then I read somewhere that 1 kg is equal to about 7000 kcalories what was suprised me much because one hour of swimming burning only about 300-350 kcalories which means I should swim about 20 hours to burn 1kg of fat - it`s insane ...

So I had to forgot about swimming and tried my diet, but the thruth is I was not so disciplined as I should, so when I are for example 5 days a week about 1500 calories/day then at weekends I ate a lot more to reward myself for whole weak of "not eating" too much, it was bad idea, my weight didn`t decereased even worse it was increaset a little ... the thing wich really helped me to lose my weight was pure green coffee extract, you can read many reviews in the net about it but the most interesting ones are on the site I specified above, read them I belive it help cos I am the example of this, I have yet about 10 kilos to lose but it`s nothing in comparison to this I already lost about 30 kilos.

My only problem now is how to change my eating habits to keep that results without taking any pills, anyone have any ideas ?
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's sabotage as such, but I know that some of my friends and family are the same. I think that subconsciously they're scared of change, and they're also a tad jealous that we're managing to make a change that they can't. They don't mean to do it, just can't help it, if that makes sense at all.

Have a word with him. Explain when you allow yourself treats, and ask him to stick to then.

When I'm at my partner's we eat all sorts even though we're supposed to be healthy eating, yet when we're on our own we're BOTH absolutely fine!
  • KenFarel
    Options
    It was the same in my way, when my wife heard about my challenge for a first time she was very sceptical, but when I started loosing weight she was not maybe jealous but curious how it`s possible I couldn`t loose anything since years and now I have enough patience to do it and the strange thing was happened then she start do the same. She wasn`t obese she was maybe 5-6 kilos overweight but she felt she have to do something with her life too because that little overweight it`s not maybe a problem for her but she can`t say shes lifestyle is healthy, so she started to eat healthy food and do some excersizes what really suprized me much. Sometimes changes aren`t bad, can be good for whole family (:
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Question.

To all of these people who have iron willpower and have always and forever been able to exercise ultimate self control: I'm wondering what on earth are you doing on a weight loss forum?

It's either:

a. You've been overweight, have seen the light, lost the weight, and have decided the best use of your experience is to be an evangelical pain in the neck, pointing the finger at others to say: 'Cream? Cream?!?! You are DISGUSTING - have some self control!'.

b. You used to be overweight, but along with the weight you lost your memories of fridge-raiding. It's like it never happened.

c. You've never been overweight and you have no empathy with those that struggle with food issues. Your calories - you control these to perfection but your bad temper and anger issues: not so much. So you rock up on forums like these to passive-aggressively torment others.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It's just one conversation. After 27 years of wedded bliss It just a conversation away fro being fixed.
    Something like this...
    Husband: Look honey, I brought you a ton of stuff you are not supposed to eat...Because I LOVE you.
    You: Darling, these nice gestures are KILLING my weight loss efforts. You need to stop bringing home that stuff.
    Husband: Never?
    You: Never. If I want to eat these things I will buy them myself.
    At this point it should be done...However,
    My wife was afraid to make things to eat that she knew were on my NO list...I had to prove to her that I could sit down at the table and eat the things that were part of my plan while she ate what she wanted. It seems that you have to notch up your will power a bit. Just knowing that you can't resist something because it is in the house, means that you should address that.
    The first time you can have a box of chocolate sit on the kitchen table for 24 hours while you ignore it will be a victory.
    Oh, and my wife is overweight.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Question.

To all of these people who have iron willpower and have always and forever been able to exercise ultimate self control: I'm wondering what on earth are you doing on a weight loss forum?

It's either:

a. You've been overweight, have seen the light, lost the weight, and have decided the best use of your experience is to be an evangelical pain in the neck, pointing the finger at others to say: 'Cream? Cream?!?! You are DISGUSTING - have some self control!'.

b. You used to be overweight, but along with the weight you lost your memories of fridge-raiding. It's like it never happened.

c. You've never been overweight and you have no empathy with those that struggle with food issues. Your calories - you control these to perfection but your bad temper and anger issues: not so much. So you rock up on forums like these to passive-aggressively torment others.

or, d, many made excuses, ignored the simple and practical advice in favor of gimmicks and excuses, finally hit a point where a light bulb went off, and realized that the only way the weight was going to come off is through hard work and determination. There's nothing perfect about anyone's "will," but there is a difference between accepting one's own shortcomings as one's own, and blaming others.

My wife and I "sabotaged" each other for years until we finally admitted to each other that her weight loss and fitness are her business, and my weight loss and fitness are my business, and while we will always help and push each other, we are not going to make excuses and blame the other.

If she is bulking (as she is doing right now) and I am cutting (as I am doing right now), then she often eats more than me. I get over it. She does the same when the shoe is on the other foot.

So, rather than constantly flaming the forums with personal attacks and angry rants, you might want to consider listening to the good advice that is here from people who have been successful.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Question.

It's either:

false premise is false.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Question.

It's either:

or, d, many made excuses, ignored the simple and practical advice in favor of gimmicks and excuses, finally hit a point where a light bulb went off, and realized that the only way the weight was going to come off is through hard work and determination. There's nothing perfect about anyone's "will," but there is a difference between accepting one's own shortcomings as one's own, and blaming others.

My wife and I "sabotaged" each other for years until we finally admitted to each other that her weight loss and fitness are her business, and my weight loss and fitness are my business, and while we will always help and push each other, we are not going to make excuses and blame the other.

If she is bulking (as she is doing right now) and I am cutting (as I am doing right now), then she often eats more than me. I get over it. She does the same when the shoe is on the other foot.

So, rather than constantly flaming the forums with personal attacks and angry rants, you might want to consider listening to the good advice that is here from people who have been successful.

QFT^^^
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Until you put your big girl pants on, get use to it
    Would bang because of how perfect this comment is :flowerforyou:
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    One day you will decided which is really more important, weight loss or candy/alcohol. You just have to get to that point. You could take some personal responsibility for your own actions and quit blaming your husband for your lack of will power. Figure out how to balance your desires and be okay with your decisions. It takes time and some serious truthful introspection. In the end, no matter which way you choose to go it will be the choice that you wanted. Empower yourself. All the best.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    [quote/]

[/quote]

Yep