How much is it possible to change body in 5 months?

Options

Replies

• ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do the 30DS every day - go at your own pace. I did it 4 days a week and still saw great results.

I used it to get back into exercise after a long break (talking years here) and I feel like my fitness improved really quickly.
  • stellafgus
    stellafgus Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Shin splints when I started training for my first 5k this past July I was getting Shin splints really bad and had to take a week off from training. During that week off I was watching a Barbie Ballerina movie with my little girl, and noticed they was doing tippy toe stretches and others and I am thinking hay that might work for my shin splints. So I looked up some Ballerina stretches on the computer and started doing them and sure enough my shin splints have stopped brothering me. The day of my 5k I am out there doing my Ballerina stretches, and everyone is looking at me funny, but have I got through my 5k, now even at the gym before getting on the treadmill I do them,Something to think about trying.
  • xAndreaWx
    xAndreaWx Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for 5 months now and have gone from 152lb to 131lb and i did that for my friends wedding which was on Saturday! it's definitely achievable, i counted my calories as per MFP and did about 3-4 cardio sessions a week (45 mins each time) and i'm down to a comfortable UK size 10 :) good luck! :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I went from 278 to 214 in five months. I have that before/after picture in my profile pictures.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You can make significant changes in 5 months.
  • brinsy
    brinsy Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    In 5 months I've gone from 303lbs to 250lbs, dropped 2 trouser and 3 shirt sizes, gone from not being able to walk for 30mins without hurting to being able to jog 7km (4.5miles) without walking or stopping, gone from suffering from insomnia to sleeping like a baby, gone from only being able to lift tiny weights to maxing out half the machines at my gym and considering lifting big heavy free weights, from eating takeaways at least once a week to eating lean meat and enough veg to feed a horse, from someone hiding behind their size to someone considering entering their first 5k run, from someone who felt that dieting meant being hungry and depriving myself to someone who can for the first time in their life eat what they want in moderation.

That's how much for me its been possible to change in 5 months :)

Go For It!

Wow well done! The fitness is a major part of it for me too! Would love to run a 5k maybe next year. :D the last fewmonths I'd take aways a lot more then once a week! You're an inspiration
  • brinsy
    Options
    Look at nelly on here she is every bit of insperation you need in such a short time

I don't know who nelly is.but uv lost so much too! U r inspiration
  • brinsy
    Options
    It takes focus, but 5 months can be a life time.
    Keep you eye on your target
    It is worth it!

I'm hoping it will be worth it! So sick of the yo yooing
  • brinsy
    Options
    Due to been completely unfit and getting shin splints I'm thinking. Could barely make it up the stairs or down the stairs.

I would suggest getting a program that is more weight training focused and less cardio. Even though you won't see as much weight loss, you will see much more composition changes with a good weight training program. If you have some equipment, programs like Body Beast, Chalean Extreme or P90X are some of my favs. At the gym, then strong lift 5x5, beginner lift 5x5, or new rules of lifting for women are good. If you can't afford video, then you can find programs on youtube, www.nerdfitness.com or www.bodyrock.tv.

More specifically, if you don't have dumbells, you can look for resistance band programs.While it won't yelled as much in terms of strength gains, it's will help with muscle retention.

I have some small dumb bells and a resistance band, thats all though no major weights, benches etc... Hope to start a month of getting into it, maybe join gym then. Must buy one of those DVDs. Ill take a look at youtube first.
  • brinsy
    Options
    I started on October 1, 2012 weighing 347 pounds. I followed MFP's calorie recommendations for the first three months with no exercise because I was rehabbing an injured knee. I added exercise on January 6, 2013 and kept following the calorie restrictions. On March 1, 2013 I weighed 277.8. So, that's what? About 70 pounds? This morning I'm at 217.9, so another 60 in the last 6 months. I started out with a lot more to lose than you look like you have, but it has totally been a lifestyle change and consistency pays off more than anything else.

Wow well done that's amazing! A real life change :D
  • brinsy
    Options
    work hard for the next five months. get a handle on your diet and exercise by making some small changes. small changes lead to big results.

then get back to us in five months and tell us how possible it is.

I would only love to be on here in 5 months showing my before and after pics and sharing my success! :D
  • brinsy
    Options
    I see my family infrequently and it's been since Christmas since I saw my sister. She didn't recognize me at all this past weekend - looked at me and said excuse me and kept walking. I started lifting in February and I've only lost about 7 pounds, but my BF and measurements are way smaller. So yes, it's very possible. :)

Thank u for sharing and well done. To see yourself change for the better must be an amazing feeling
  • brinsy
    Options
    In 5 months I lost around 45lbs.. it's possible to completely change the way your body looks, depending on how much you need to lose. 45lbs for me sounded like a lot but in the mirror it was hard for me to see the difference. On someone smaller it would have been dramatic.
    Well done! It's so much easier to gain than it is to take off!! I've learned that in the past
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I was a whole new person in 10 weeks.. Lost 22 lbs in 10 weeks 3 yrs ago.. Never had so many people tell me
    how great I looked and what was my secret.. My secret was eating like a normal person and doing a lot of cardio.
  • brinsy
    Options
    You don't need to do the 30DS every day - go at your own pace. I did it 4 days a week and still saw great results.

I used it to get back into exercise after a long break (talking years here) and I feel like my fitness improved really quickly.

That's what I normally do talk about it! If talking could make u fit I'd be the fittest person on the planet :D
  • brinsy
    Options
    Shin splints when I started training for my first 5k this past July I was getting Shin splints really bad and had to take a week off from training. During that week off I was watching a Barbie Ballerina movie with my little girl, and noticed they was doing tippy toe stretches and others and I am thinking hay that might work for my shin splints. So I looked up some Ballerina stretches on the computer and started doing them and sure enough my shin splints have stopped brothering me. The day of my 5k I am out there doing my Ballerina stretches, and everyone is looking at me funny, but have I got through my 5k, now even at the gym before getting on the treadmill I do them,Something to think about trying.

I really must look into that! Thank u for sharing. I would do anything to stop the pain of shin splint! Thank u :D and well done on the 5k
  • brinsy
    Options
    I've been at this for 5 months now and have gone from 152lb to 131lb and i did that for my friends wedding which was on Saturday! it's definitely achievable, i counted my calories as per MFP and did about 3-4 cardio sessions a week (45 mins each time) and i'm down to a comfortable UK size 10 :) good luck! :flowerforyou: :smile:

Aww well done. Hope u got loads of compliments at the wedding. I'm hoping the first few weeks are the hardest and that ill get easier! Lol
  • brinsy
    Options
    I went from 278 to 214 in five months. I have that before/after picture in my profile pictures.

Wow well done. That's a serious amount. Took great determination I'd say
  • brinsy
    Options
    You can make significant changes in 5 months.
    I'm hoping so. To watch and see it getting better not worse a dream lol
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Individual results vary so much between people. I probably lost 10-15 lbs, but I was also (relatively) small to begin with, so dropping 2 lbs is a huge, hard thing for me.

That said, I think you are capable of more than you think you are. Definitely do weight training - dieting and cardio will help you drop numbers on a scale, but strength training gives you that more sculpted muscle definition I think you're looking for. Consider hiring a trainer once a week at a gym for the next few months if you can afford it. They can really help you physically train (giving you new routines, showing you proper form, etc), but also they can push you mentally harder than you would for yourself. Before I had a trainer, I *thought* I was pushing myself pretty hard during my workouts, but having someone else there made me realize how much we put limitations (psychologically) on ourselves. It was enormously helpful.

Keep your eye on the ball and don't give up. :)