Marijuana and weight loss?

Options

Replies

• kit_rose
    kit_rose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cannabis does in fact burn a few extra calories by speeding up your metabolism, much like other stimulants (yes, it really does have stimulant properties), by activating the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems, increasing digestion as well as heart rate (unusual for psychoactive drugs) THC and the other 80+ cannabinoids are chemically similar to the endocannabinoid neurotransmitters in the brain. Some of these chemicals induce the feeling of hunger, so you may munch out, but marijuana has very little toxins if cooked right! The beneficial chemicals far outweigh the toxins for sure.
    Eating potcorn as I write.
  • LemonRed
    Options
    ^ This is very true. Not all weed is created equal!

I started smoking a lot when I was 14. Did almost every day until my early/ mid 20s. I was very active & in great shape. I never really got the munchies. Marijuana IMO is one of the least narcotics to worry about - I rate it safer than most legal things like cigs, alcohol, & even generic OTC pain meds.
  • LemonRed
    Options
    being interest though was not happy with smoking but truly want to burn , are you still thin and what you ate these times ? please
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    pass the cheetoes
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh drugs are bad, so very bad
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    oh drugs are bad, so very bad

Yes, drugs are bad. That's why I choose cannabis. :smokin:
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I can do some serious deep cleaning of my house when I am stoned, cook a healthy meal, go for a long swim, come back and smoke again. Then eat a reasonable amount of food and fall asleep. Only problem is that my job does random drug screens, so none of that actually happens, but it could happen, and I would be under my calorie goal for that day.

I suggest you try and see how it works. This feed has been huge and too many opinions to sort through. All the people I know who smoke are thin.
  • blt0087
    blt0087 Posts: 115
    Options
    Ahhh I miss smoking.

I drank very heavily from 2009-2010 because I was dealing with a LOT of issues (my parents divorce, my best friend passed away, my bf of 3 years and I broke up, etc) and I ended up gaining nearly 40lbs. I'm not blaming it entirely on the alcohol, I wasn't watching what I ate at all..so that helped. I started smoking in 2010 and smoked more than one could think was possible all day everyday. Although I'd get the munchies and eat everything in sight, I lost those 40 lbs and an additional 20 from 2010-2012 just by cutting back the munchie intake (instead of two bags of cheetos, I'd eat one haha). Also anytime we'd smoke we'd go out and do things like going to the park, going hiking, swimming, longboarding, bike riding, etc. I hardly ever smoked and just sat around and ate..I liked being active.

But I haven't smoked in about a year now, sad day. I sure wish it was legal in the great state of Texas, cuz I could totally go for a bowl right now!
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    being interest though was not happy with smoking but truly want to burn , are you still thin and what you ate these times ? please
    No, I started gaining weight a few years ago unrelated to smoking or not smoking weed (even though I haven't really smoked much at all the past 5 years.) I ended up getting some heart issues from a disorder I had but got under control this past year & have been slowly losing weight now that I'm able to be more active.
    I ate like crap when I was growing up. Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburgers from JITB were like my normal dinner. I was also dancing about 20 hours a week though so I burned them off. In my mid 20's I started paying attention to health & nutrition, & am pretty satisfied with the way I currently eat. My main hurdle has been building up my strength & energy so that I can be more physically active. At 5'2", sometimes us petites can have a difficult time keeping our bodies in shape if we don't physically work on them.

I really don't think smoking weed is an issue for weight in general, but it does depend on how the individual reacts to it. Some gain, some lose. Some like to be active, some like being lazy. As with anything in life, find what works for you.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I smoked back in the day, and munchies, munchies, munchies!!! I don't think it condones to weight loss
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    forget weed if you want to lose weight smoke crack.

^^ this lol
  • Harlequin167
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight when i smoked it, but thats because i never seemed to get the munchies and was a bit of an energetic 'stoner' haha
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    :smokin:

Loving this topic!

Any stoners or, in the closet stoners :tongue: ..... Feel free to add me!!!!! :smokin: :laugh:
  • onetooblown
    onetooblown Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Oh you're going to like my answer! No. Absolutely not. I smoke herb daily. (pals, please don't disown me for outting myself!) I have lost 65 pounds and smoking has not hindered my success. I agree with the others who said the munchies would obviously create a bit of a problem. I was able to keep those over-eating moments under control. It's all about being accountable and logging those calories. Of course alcohol makes you gain if not just for the calories in it alone.. weed doesn't have calories! That is definitely one of it's perks. If you have any other thoughts or questions.. feel free to send me a message!
    Editing to say.. best of luck to you!!

this. I used to smoke pretty heavily before I got pregnant a year ago. at first I gained a lot of weight but I had also moved into a house where there was take out everyday so there were other factors playing into that bc once I moved out on my own I lost a lot of weight (still heavily smoking). as for those who get lazy and hungry you obviously don't know how to handle your high. when I get high I go on some serious cleaning spree's. now I'm a "midnight toker" lol so usually now I have some nice "mommy-daddy time" and then a great nights sleep so NO, the beloved ganja does not make you gain. and and stoners are welcome to add me :)
  • onetooblown
    onetooblown Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    and marijuana is grown then dried, NOT cooked. as long as it's made right. always know your source. always know who grew it and where it came from.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at how light-hearted this thread is... And how many people admit to actually smoking weed lol.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at how light-hearted this thread is... And how many people admit to actually smoking weed lol.

I'm surprised at the number of people who don't use it.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The last guy that came into my Thai Boxing class stoned I knocked out with a shin kick to his neck. When he got up one of my students then knocked him out with a spinning back elbow. In my gym we prefer there to be no smoking and no drugs please. If you do smoke around us it will be bad for your health.
  • margebouvierx2
    Options
    i don't know the science behind it, but the munchies is enough!!!

marijuana and weight loss are two words that don't belong in the same sentence!

I don't know the science behind it either but i do know the above is correct. LOL but I also think when you've been a smoker for years and years the munchies actually wear off quite a bit. I think new smokers will often get the munchies quite bad.
    Different smokes have a different buzz, so some will cause munchies more than others.

STRESS causes weight gain, especially the nasty weight around your middle, this is the best way I know to chill out,

I don't drink alcohol but when i did I always pigged out,( indian curry meals, chips, burgers,) and much more than I have ever done when smoking. As I said before, the more often you smoke the less you suffer with the munchies. I also get the munchies when i go swimming!

Another thing it does is keeps you young.....looking and at heart.!!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Still thin, always have been. I smoke semi-regularly, off and on. I don't really get the munchies, though, and oddly enough when I do I usually want to eat fruit.
This discussion has been closed.