Sugar addiction....

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Convenience and preference!

Definitely preference! But convenience? They are both available at the same grocery store. There is nothing more convenient about a date vs. an Oreo.

But taste? Absolutely.
    True! With the big picture though- fruits are not at gas stations, CVS or any convient stores, but candy bars are. Thats what I meant by convenient.

Not only that, but some people just don't like fruits or they cannot digest them easily.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    1 date has 16g of sugar...
    And an Oreo cookie only has 13 grams of sugar. But Oreos are far more compelling to eat than dates. Why?
    Because dates are disgusting.
    Those dates in a box in the dried fruit section are disgusting. Medjool dates in the produce section are heavenly.
    I will choose a Medjool date over an Oreo every single time!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    fruits are not at gas stations, CVS or any convient stores

Yes, they are. And in the case of gas stations, usually right next to the register. Every one I've been in for years has apples, oranges and bananas.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Probably because you prefer the taste of an Oreo over a date, as well as the texture, appearance

Exactly. The Oreo triggers much more pleasure in your brain than a date does.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you are really a food addict, you won't care about what tastes better...convenience will override each time. Real addiction works that way.

WHAT?!?!

So someone addicted to cigarettes will switch to chewing gum if it is more convenient?

Someone addicted to gambling will take up fishing if it is more convenient?

Nope.

Behavioral addictions cause brain changes that are brought on by the stimulation that comes from that particular behavior.

You can't just substitute some other more convenient but non-stimulating behavior and expect it to satisfy the addiction.

For food addiction, the entire addiction revolves around the pleasure derived from the taste of food, not the convenience of it.

Have you ever really been addicted to anything?

Smokers won't give up smoking for chewing gum because chewing gum IS NOT tobacco!!!!
    Smokers will smoke a toilet tasting cigarette to get their fix.
    Smokers will smoke cigars or turn to chew to get their fix if there is nothing else.

Gamblers will turn to online gambling, race tracks, or other venues to satisify their needs. They won't take on fishing unless money is riding on who gets the biggest catch or if they have a bet on fishing team.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    One last thing. Some people think that carbs=sugar. Not true. Sugar=sugar, but carbs especially complex (unprocessed) carbs must be broken down in our bodies to make sugar to use as energy.. These carbs are not as bad for us as simple sugars because they don't spike and drop our blood sugar as quickly. have found the Sugar goal on this site helps me keep my sugar intake in check and encourages me to choose more complex carbs for energy. My allotted goal is about 25 grams of sugars a day. This includes all hidden natural and processed sugars. I try to stay within that goal and the fact that it is counted for me makes it easier. Lower sugar fruits include tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries, grapefruit, etc.

Polysaccharides are?
  • AprilMae1975
    Options

For food addiction, the entire addiction revolves around the pleasure derived from the taste of food, not the convenience of it.

I love the taste.....maybe not the feeling because it's usually followed by guilt.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options

Yes, they are. And in the case of gas stations, usually right next to the register. Every one I've been in for years has apples, oranges and bananas.

Sad that most of the gas station bananas are usually brown :(
  • rml_16
    Options
    Anyone that tells you that all sugar is the same is delusional. "I got fat from eating too much fruit!" said no one, ever.
    Oh boy, out of no where with the accusations that certain people are delusional. Way to jump in man:)

Actually I thought categorizing it as "delusional" was being mild!
    Perhaps. But your argument and comparison are logically flawed.
  • rml_16
    Options

Sad that most of the gas station bananas are usually brown :(
    Really?

I've seen that a couple times, but usually they're pretty fresh and yummy where I've gotten them.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    True! With the big picture though- fruits are not at gas stations, CVS or any convient stores, but candy bars are. Thats what I meant by convenient.

Sure, this is true of gas stations, but the gas stations tangent here is kind of beside the point in terms of the behavioral addiction of food.

For most of us, we can buy good and bad foods at the grocery store. We aren't limited to gas stations. So the convenience factor is out the window. When I wanted to eat ice cream, I'd drive to whatever store had the ice cream I wanted. Convenience was not a factor - finding New York Super Fudge Chunk was the factor.
  • ieattomuchcandy
    Options
    I know a bit of what you're saying and can relate. I LOVE LOVE LOVE anything sweet , cookies , donuts, candy, ice cream you name it , ii see it i buy it and i can polish off a whole cheese cake before you know it. Unfortunately I no longer have the metabolism i once had when I was in my 20's. It's all about having self control , Plain and simple you see that unhealthy **** in the grocery store and you keep on walking. I follow by the 80/20 rule...I eat 80 % healthy of the time and give myself at least one cheat day a week. Doesn't mean I go completely over board and start shoving whatever sugary crap down my throat , but I allow myself to have a treat. Make yourself a beautiful yummy bowl of fruit salad and add a little spoonful of non fat Greek yogurt on it for a treat or down a big full glass of lemon water to help curve that craving( That's what I do). You have to decide and make that choice ...Do I want to become a diabetic and possibly develop a whole wack of serious health problems or do you want to gain control of your life , feel great , look great and live a healthy lifestyle. Anytime you have a craving pull out your skinny jeans and compare to the the size you are now. That should be an eye opener, evidence, and give you enough strength to say..This is what got me in trouble in the first place. Good Luck !:flowerforyou:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    In CA, nearly every gas station has bananas, oranges, and/or apples. 7-11 has them too.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    1 date has 16g of sugar...

And an Oreo cookie only has 13 grams of sugar.

But Oreos are far more compelling to eat than dates. Why?

Again, deliciousness.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Then I guess where you are and I am are two different places. Not one gas station up here carries fruit!
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    In CA, nearly every gas station has bananas, oranges, and/or apples. 7-11 has them too.
    Cali is more health friendly:) Wish they did that out here!
  • rml_16
    Options
    FL and GA are not and the gas stations in both those states have fruit. Also, NY.
  • ajaxe432
    Options

Sure, this is true of gas stations, but the gas stations tangent here is kind of beside the point in terms of the behavioral addiction of food.

For most of us, we can buy good and bad foods at the grocery store. We aren't limited to gas stations. So the convenience factor is out the window. When I wanted to eat ice cream, I'd drive to whatever store had the ice cream I wanted. Convenience was not a factor - finding New York Super Fudge Chunk was the factor.
    I understand your point, but when somebody pulls into the gas station and they are hungry....what are the options?.....convenience;)
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    When did you finally realize you had a problem?

When it started affecting your work, when you sold your TV for a sugar cube, or when you gave a bj for a sugar packet?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh:

I really shouldn't laugh at it, because there was that one time I really wanted a Klondike Bar..

Sorry - couldn't resist :laugh: :laugh:
    3omlv8_zps701df7aa.jpg
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    FL and GA are not and the gas stations in both those states have fruit. Also, NY.
    ok!