Guess What was on my Kid's School Shopping List

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I would have to say that I think it's rude for a teacher to ask parents to bring in candy for incentives. Especially since this is not a classroom requirement and something the teacher made up and put in place. She should be responsible for the purchase 100%. On another note, I don't think candy should be used as an incentive period. With health, nutritional and fitness concerns tredning right now, I think the teachers should be a little more sensitive to the subject and when asking for certain things.

Cuz it's the candy's fault?
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    As far as the candy. No not cool.

But I send my kid with the supplies on the list and we mark our name on all of it. I also include a note to the teacher that says

"These supplies are for MY kid and my kid alone. My child knows that if they run out, they are to let me know and I'll supply more. If my child is out of a particular supply needed for that day, unfortunately my child will not participate."

I refuse to pay for someone who is simply too lazy to provide their own child's school supplies, and I understand it's not your fault that the school doesn't provide teachers with the necessary tools to run the classroom, but poor planning on schools and deadbeat parent's part does not constitute a handout from my pocket"

I do feel bad for those kids that are made to walk to school with no backpack, or school supplies, dirty clothes and no food in thier tummies, I really do, but there are resources out there. We have to stop letting these parents get away with doing this to thier children.

Huh. I feel bad for those kids too, so we always buy extra school supplies with a note to the teacher that says: "These supplies are for you to add to your stash for kids who come to school in need, because we're all a part of this community and we're in this together."

But your approach is nice too. *shudder*
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    IIT: A bunch of people who make me glad I'm never having kids and so won't have to deal with other parents. You can't even let kids have candy every now and then or birthday treats without people freaking out, damn. You helicopter types are why we can't have nice things.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I thought treats were used to train DOGS!

What happened to bad grades or punishment being the "incentive" to do well? No wonder childhood obesity is on the rise....

I can't speak for all schools but my son does not get his candy rewards for doing what he is supposed to do, he gets it for going above and beyond. For example, giving some of his lunch to a girl that was hungry got him a reward. All kids start their day on green, as they get worse they get the warning colors of yellow, orange then red (call home). Doing good deeds that are not asked of them earn them blue, purple and pink level of rewards. His reward for the 'pink' day, a single jolly rancher. Not like it's a full size candy bar...

My son is in Kindergarten and they have a snack about 30mins before they go home, probably because they eat lunch at 10:45. His teacher has asked that parents help out with stocking the snack cabinet when they can but requests that sugary treat be saved for special occasions like birthdays.
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Never asked to send candy but was asked to send Polaroid film.

Sorry should add that was 10 years ago before the digital camera became affordable. :smile:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    IIT: A bunch of people who make me glad I'm never having kids and so won't have to deal with other parents. You can't even let kids have candy every now and then or birthday treats without people freaking out, damn. You helicopter types are why we can't have nice things.

Amen.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

But I send my kid with the supplies on the list and we mark our name on all of it. I also include a note to the teacher that says

"These supplies are for MY kid and my kid alone. My child knows that if they run out, they are to let me know and I'll supply more. If my child is out of a particular supply needed for that day, unfortunately my child will not participate."

I refuse to pay for someone who is simply too lazy to provide their own child's school supplies, and I understand it's not your fault that the school doesn't provide teachers with the necessary tools to run the classroom, but poor planning on schools and deadbeat parent's part does not constitute a handout from my pocket"

I do feel bad for those kids that are made to walk to school with no backpack, or school supplies, dirty clothes and no food in thier tummies, I really do, but there are resources out there. We have to stop letting these parents get away with doing this to thier children.

Huh. I feel bad for those kids too, so we always buy extra school supplies with a note to the teacher that says: "These supplies are for you to add to your stash for kids who come to school in need, because we're all a part of this community and we're in this together."

That can't be real...Really?
  • _chiaroscuro
    Options
    14mff5e.jpg
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think it's silly to request candy, of all things, but no child is going to get fat or even get cavities from a once-a-day/once-a-week/occasional candy at school. If you don't want your child participating, I'm sure you can send a little note stating that.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    all I can say is......I'm glad I homeschool and don't have to deal with this stuff!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    If I ever have kids, I'm going to be the parent who has to call the teacher and explain why my child will not be bringing in all the extra crap they ask for. If the school won't provide it, well, teachers get a tax write-off for whatever supplies they purchase with their own money. Start using it.

Do you think teachers get paid a lot of money? I mean, the write off is nice, but you have to spend the money first.

I mean come on!

ETA: And some teachers don't have a homeroom (like music teachers) and have to buy EVERYTHING on their own since supply lists only are allowed for homeroom teachers.

Wow. I'm a teacher in England and we get a departmental budget and buy exercise books, pens, pencils, glue, rulers etc. kids can borrow anything they like. I do work in a deprived area so we do have to lend a lot of stuff out every lesson, which probably doesn't happen in schools in more well off areas.

The only time I'd ever give out sweets would be at Christmas as I usually do a quiz and give a prize to the winners.

We have something called vivos at my school as a reward system, and you get a certain amount you can give the kids, and then with their vivos they can buy things like pens and so on. We also have a consequence system which can result in detention or isolation.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Or... you could make the kid brush their teeth properly and let them be a kid...
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Maybe we are progressive here but the schools are not allowed to reward children with any form of food. They even go as far as not allowing it on birthday celebrations. I can send in little prizes like stickers etc. on my son's birthday but no cake or candy or cupcakes etc. (which I think is ridiculous) Also, he is in kindergarten and they have late afternoon snack time but you must send your child with a nutritious snack and water is the only option for a drink and during snack they learn about nutrition... Glad they are teaching them about good habits but sometimes kids should be able to have treats. Especially with their friends on their birthdays.
  • _chiaroscuro
    Options

That can't be real...Really?

Of course it's real. I worded it less cheesy but I did it. Acts of kindess, biznitches.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Wait what?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Um, it's a bag of candy for the entire year? I am sure you could send sugar free.

Teachers have no budgets for their classrooms. I seriously doubt all you boo hooing over this NEVER had a single piece of candy throughout your school career.

Giving a kid a piece of candy don't cause obesity. Not having access, for whatever reason, to proper nutritious foods does. Period.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    We do not have to send in candy or anything else for incentives, but I was really shocked to see a box of Band Aids on the school supply list (which I refused to send), along with the cleaning wipes and germ x. We also have to send a ridiculous amount of pencils, glue, and many other regular supplies, when I know that my child does not need that many. Our teachers put everything in "community" boxes where the children just go get whatever they need when they need it... So I am pretty much taking in supplies for parents who do not send supplies in for the children. It irks me. I found out that on the last day of school the teachers just throw away any unused supplies such as pencils, pens, markers, crayons, paper, ect.... and the janitors just go through every trash can and cash in on the leftovers. Why cant the teachers put the leftovers in a tote and use for next year? I was livid when I found this out and so I sent my daughter with the least amount of supplies for the "community" boxes and have the rest of her stuff at home for when she needs it.

Thanks for making the rest of the parents and teachers make up the difference for you. :flowerforyou:

Yep, thanks. I'll just add that to the grand I dropped last year.

I call BS on the teachers throwing away pens, pencils, markers, etc..... (see going to IKEA and golf courses for pencils).

Agreed. That whole statement makes no sense AT ALL. Why would someone actually gather all the leftover supplies and throw them in the trash. It makes no sense...

Def has an "urban legend" flavor to it.

HAHAHAHA... It does seem hard to believe, you know... because everyone on here is full of **** and lying like the way you guys make it seem. But seriously the janitors come right out and tell you. This is a small town, not a big city, so I am sure some things are not the same as your big city schools. And as for the band aid comment...I don't think the teachers are the ones supplying the band aids to the nurses office. I pay my taxes just like everyone else has mentioned. So I know the taxes should fund a lot of the schools expenses. I DO NOT think the teachers should have to come out of their own pocket for supplies or cleaning stuff. I do not mind helping other people out and I do that a lot. I do donate clothes, backpacks, whatever I can to people in need, but I know they are not throwing this stuff in the trash in perfectly new condition. I do not get why everyone is getting so upset about my post as none of you know me or know my situation, you just made assumptions by how you decided to read my post. I am not getting all bent out of shape about what other people or anyone reading this have posted. I was just voicing my opinion just like everyone else. I was not saying that everything should be put on the teachers shoulders or that they should have to pay out of pocket for this stuff... and for the teachers who have read this, I apologize if I offended anyone, as it was not my purpose. :drinker:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Wait what?

I am guessing for things like "first day of spring" "holiday" "thanksgiving" photos that kids use to make projects.
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Wait what?

I am guessing for things like "first day of spring" "holiday" "thanksgiving" photos that kids use to make projects.

That was 10 years ago when my oldest was in kinder she is now a Jr and everyone owns a digital camera now.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

:love: :flowerforyou: :heart: