Guess What was on my Kid's School Shopping List

Options

Replies

• hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    We do not have to send in candy or anything else for incentives, but I was really shocked to see a box of Band Aids on the school supply list (which I refused to send), along with the cleaning wipes and germ x. We also have to send a ridiculous amount of pencils, glue, and many other regular supplies, when I know that my child does not need that many. Our teachers put everything in "community" boxes where the children just go get whatever they need when they need it... So I am pretty much taking in supplies for parents who do not send supplies in for the children. It irks me. I found out that on the last day of school the teachers just throw away any unused supplies such as pencils, pens, markers, crayons, paper, ect.... and the janitors just go through every trash can and cash in on the leftovers. Why cant the teachers put the leftovers in a tote and use for next year? I was livid when I found this out and so I sent my daughter with the least amount of supplies for the "community" boxes and have the rest of her stuff at home for when she needs it.

Thanks for making the rest of the parents and teachers make up the difference for you. :flowerforyou:

Yep, thanks. I'll just add that to the grand I dropped last year.

I call BS on the teachers throwing away pens, pencils, markers, etc..... (see going to IKEA and golf courses for pencils).

Agreed. That whole statement makes no sense AT ALL. Why would someone actually gather all the leftover supplies and throw them in the trash. It makes no sense...

Def has an "urban legend" flavor to it.

HAHAHAHA... It does seem hard to believe, you know... because everyone on here is full of **** and lying like the way you guys make it seem. But seriously the janitors come right out and tell you. This is a small town, not a big city, so I am sure some things are not the same as your big city schools. And as for the band aid comment...I don't think the teachers are the ones supplying the band aids to the nurses office. I pay my taxes just like everyone else has mentioned. So I know the taxes should fund a lot of the schools expenses. I DO NOT think the teachers should have to come out of their own pocket for supplies or cleaning stuff. I do not mind helping other people out and I do that a lot. I do donate clothes, backpacks, whatever I can to people in need, but I know they are not throwing this stuff in the trash in perfectly new condition. I do not get why everyone is getting so upset about my post as none of you know me or know my situation, you just made assumptions by how you decided to read my post. I am not getting all bent out of shape about what other people or anyone reading this have posted. I was just voicing my opinion just like everyone else. I was not saying that everything should be put on the teachers shoulders or that they should have to pay out of pocket for this stuff... and for the teachers who have read this, I apologize if I offended anyone, as it was not my purpose. :drinker:

I get how the BandAid thing seems strange, and YES most schools have some sort of first aid supply kit somewhere in the Nurse's Office (if you have one) or the main office. However, as a teacher, it is HIGHLY annoying to have kids wanting to go to the office for BandAids for little things like hang nails and paper cuts. A lot of times, the student is using a bogus request to just leave the classroom. By having that stuff readily available in the room, it cuts out the time lost by the student being out of the room. I always have a couple of boxes stashed away in my desk. Don't worry though...I buy my own and give them away. No added expense to the tax payers.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I can be bribed with candy :)
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    wow I am shocked by most of these comments.

My daughter is starting Pre K this year and I was expecting to see a long supply list. It wasn't. I was able to buy everything on it for less than $20. I know her teacher must be buying stuff on her own. When I go in next week, I am going to ask her what else I can buy for the class. I have no problem buying crayons, pencils, paper, stickers, candy, cleaning supplies, tissues...if the class needs it I will get it. And I have no problem providing extra for the families who cannot afford to or just simply choose not to. That should not be the teachers problem or the kids problems.

And as far as rewarding kids with candy...really whats the big deal? candy, stickers, toys...its all fun! I am sure the teacher is not pumping your kids with tons of sugar. One piece is not going to kill them.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    We do not have to send in candy or anything else for incentives, but I was really shocked to see a box of Band Aids on the school supply list (which I refused to send), along with the cleaning wipes and germ x. We also have to send a ridiculous amount of pencils, glue, and many other regular supplies, when I know that my child does not need that many. Our teachers put everything in "community" boxes where the children just go get whatever they need when they need it... So I am pretty much taking in supplies for parents who do not send supplies in for the children. It irks me. I found out that on the last day of school the teachers just throw away any unused supplies such as pencils, pens, markers, crayons, paper, ect.... and the janitors just go through every trash can and cash in on the leftovers. Why cant the teachers put the leftovers in a tote and use for next year? I was livid when I found this out and so I sent my daughter with the least amount of supplies for the "community" boxes and have the rest of her stuff at home for when she needs it.

Thanks for making the rest of the parents and teachers make up the difference for you. :flowerforyou:

I call BS on the teachers throwing away pens, pencils, markers, etc..... (see going to IKEA and golf courses for pencils).

Agreed. That whole statement makes no sense AT ALL. Why would someone actually gather all the leftover supplies and throw them in the trash. It makes no sense...

HAHAHAHA... It does seem hard to believe, you know... because everyone on here is full of **** and lying like the way you guys make it seem. But seriously the janitors come right out and tell you. This is a small town, not a big city, so I am sure some things are not the same as your big city schools. And as for the band aid comment...I don't think the teachers are the ones supplying the band aids to the nurses office. I pay my taxes just like everyone else has mentioned. So I know the taxes should fund a lot of the schools expenses. I DO NOT think the teachers should have to come out of their own pocket for supplies or cleaning stuff. I do not mind helping other people out and I do that a lot. I do donate clothes, backpacks, whatever I can to people in need, but I know they are not throwing this stuff in the trash in perfectly new condition. I do not get why everyone is getting so upset about my post as none of you know me or know my situation, you just made assumptions by how you decided to read my post. I am not getting all bent out of shape about what other people or anyone reading this have posted. I was just voicing my opinion just like everyone else. I was not saying that everything should be put on the teachers shoulders or that they should have to pay out of pocket for this stuff... and for the teachers who have read this, I apologize if I offended anyone, as it was not my purpose. :drinker:

I get how the BandAid thing seems strange, and YES most schools have some sort of first aid supply kit somewhere in the Nurse's Office (if you have one) or the main office. However, as a teacher, it is HIGHLY annoying to have kids wanting to go to the office for BandAids for little things like hang nails and paper cuts. A lot of times, the student is using a bogus request to just leave the classroom. By having that stuff readily available in the room, it cuts out the time lost by the student being out of the room. I always have a couple of boxes stashed away in my desk. Don't worry though...I buy my own and give them away. No added expense to the tax payers.

I'm getting bent out of shape because my Mum is a teacher and I see how much she has to pay for out of her own very empty pocket because some parents refuse to give their kids enough stationary. No sensible teacher would throw out stationary, and every sensible teacher pays for BandAids out of their own pocket because that's just what you have to do. Teaching is a grossly underpaid, stressful job, that is responsible for the building blocks of your child's entire future. Have some respect and just send your kid to school with the required supplies.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    IIT: A bunch of people who make me glad I'm never having kids and so won't have to deal with other parents. You can't even let kids have candy every now and then or birthday treats without people freaking out, damn. You helicopter types are why we can't have nice things.

Amen.

Amen x 2!!!

Its so funny to see all these parents freaking out haha

:drinker:
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    If I ever have kids, I'm going to be the parent who has to call the teacher and explain why my child will not be bringing in all the extra crap they ask for. If the school won't provide it, well, teachers get a tax write-off for whatever supplies they purchase with their own money. Start using it.

Do you think teachers get paid a lot of money? I mean, the write off is nice, but you have to spend the money first.

I mean come on!

ETA: And some teachers don't have a homeroom (like music teachers) and have to buy EVERYTHING on their own since supply lists only are allowed for homeroom teachers.

Wow. I'm a teacher in England and we get a departmental budget and buy exercise books, pens, pencils, glue, rulers etc. kids can borrow anything they like. I do work in a deprived area so we do have to lend a lot of stuff out every lesson, which probably doesn't happen in schools in more well off areas.

The only time I'd ever give out sweets would be at Christmas as I usually do a quiz and give a prize to the winners.

We have something called vivos at my school as a reward system, and you get a certain amount you can give the kids, and then with their vivos they can buy things like pens and so on. We also have a consequence system which can result in detention or isolation.

Whoa... that would be nice! I'm super jealous.

I never give sweets (or eat in my room for that matter) since our school is rural and rodents like to inhabit rooms that do have food in them (never my room!), but I'm tossing around the idea of using a doughnut party for a reward for my recorder classes. The homeroom that gets their recorders in or brings money for a new one the quickest gets the party. It's extra special since they know I HATE having anything but water in my room.

So far, it's working! I haven't told them about the possibility of there being food, but I have a treasure chest they can pick from if I change my mind about the food. There's too many allergies/dietary restrictions for me to worry about.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I find it strange with all the food allergies that anyone is allowed to give out food in schools. My friends have problems sending peanut butter sandwiches in the kids lunches because of nut allergies that other kids have in the same school. I know the schools out here are charging for bus services. My friend pays $300 PER kid (she has 4) for them to ride the school bus for the year.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Just goes to show how much I hate teachers. Great point OP.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    at our schools ask for bags of party favors from the dollar store or money for a mass order to Oriental Trading company or the like. They also do raffles or Lunch with the teacher or Lunch with the principal. (which is nice to have the principal be in a positive roll!)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Oh. You're "that mom."

Nothing to see here and nothing to say here, other than that I feel sorry for your kid, and your kid's teachers.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I would also like to state for the record.. LOL.. that I did a school supply drive a couple of years ago for my sons class where I worked and each employee donated quite a bit of supplies for my sons teacher and classroom. I do buy everything on the school supply list, with the exception of the band aids this year, but after reading what HKMURPHY83 posted I will most likely send some in, just because I see where she is coming from.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHA... It does seem hard to believe, you know... because everyone on here is full of **** and lying like the way you guys make it seem. But seriously the janitors come right out and tell you. This is a small town, not a big city, so I am sure some things are not the same as your big city schools.

I LOL'd. There's a few hundred kids in the school. We still have to go to IKEA and the Golf Course for pencils.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Monkey suit?

Oh, we're not actually guessing...
  • robyn0123
    robyn0123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    2 words: childhood obesity!! You have to complain to the school!!! If there is anything that I'm learning about myself food should never be a reward!
  • Buckeyegirlbritt
    Options
    The glory to homeschooling. I get to dictate what goes on in MY classroom.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    at my son's school each kid has to bring doughnuts one friday a semester for their homeroom. I hate that because doughnuts are garbage and they are expensive when it comes to 30 kids.

Which doughnut shops have you tried? I bought one at 7-11 once that was garbage. I like the locally-owned bakery up the road much better.

I meant garbage as in way too much sugar and carbs and calories. We go to Krispy Kreme because it is on the way to school. Our other option would be Walmart. They freeze and rethaw their baked good so they are gross.
  • RGv2
    Options
    2 words: childhood obesity!! You have to complain to the school!!! If there is anything that I'm learning about myself food should never be a reward!

Right, it's the candy's fault. Not parents, TV, video games, or kids that don't know what playing outside is.....got it.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options

I LOL'd. There's a few hundred kids in the school. We still have to go to IKEA and the Golf Course for pencils.

did you lol because you think a few hundred kids is a small school? We had a graduating class of 24.
  • PrayerOfHeart
    PrayerOfHeart Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh, gosh! Well, you could intentionally give your child to school a bag of fresh fruit. :) Mandarins or maybe sweet apples, or maybe you can bring a watermelon to school. Children would be happy! :)
  • RGv2
    Options

did you lol because you think a few hundred kids is a small school? We had a graduating class of 24.

I LOL'd because she said "I don't know what happens in your big city schools".