Guess What was on my Kid's School Shopping List

Options

Replies

• Sarahkoolkatkitty
    Sarahkoolkatkitty Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    all I can say is......I'm glad I homeschool and don't have to deal with this stuff!

Yes. This. Also, I am so happy I don't teach in a school. THEY TEACH YOUR KIDS!!! Help them as much as possible, remember they are human, and...they are doing something huge FOR YOU AND YOUR KIDS! Try teaching them yourself for just one year. Believe me, you will gain a new respect for the people working in our schools. Thank you, teachers!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I find it strange with all the food allergies that anyone is allowed to give out food in schools. My friends have problems sending peanut butter sandwiches in the kids lunches because of nut allergies that other kids have in the same school. I know the schools out here are charging for bus services. My friend pays $300 PER kid (she has 4) for them to ride the school bus for the year.

It's specific to their class. I asked my son's teacher about bringing a treat for his birthday today and she said that was fine and that they had no allergies in the class. On meet the teacher night we also got a class info sheet that stated there were no allergies in her class.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options

I LOL'd. There's a few hundred kids in the school. We still have to go to IKEA and the Golf Course for pencils.

did you lol because you think a few hundred kids is a small school? We had a graduating class of 24.

I LOL'd because she said "I don't know what happens in your big city schools".

okay, I see. just wondering.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    We are becoming a culture of fun suckers.

I'm lucky to be currently living in a beach community where the kids still ride their bikes to school, surf and skate together on the weekends, eat cake at birthday parties, are allowed to bring treats to school so long as there is enough for everyone, and people generally give shat about their kids without thinking that they need to consult a psychologist before enrolling little Susie into ballet. We have some exceptions, but the kids here aren't amped up on meds with their parents hovering over them 24/7 either. It's a refreshing escape from the private school our oldest was in overseas, and a balance I'd like to see more of.

And yes, we buy classroom school supplies at the beginning and during the course of the year. It's part of being a parent who cares.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I find it strange with all the food allergies that anyone is allowed to give out food in schools. My friends have problems sending peanut butter sandwiches in the kids lunches because of nut allergies that other kids have in the same school. I know the schools out here are charging for bus services. My friend pays $300 PER kid (she has 4) for them to ride the school bus for the year.

It's specific to their class. I asked my son's teacher about bringing a treat for his birthday today and she said that was fine and that they had no allergies in the class. On meet the teacher night we also got a class info sheet that stated there were no allergies in her class.

That makes sense. Do they try to organize kids with similar allergies into the same classrooms? I don't remember allergies being as big a deal when I was in school as their are now. I know a lot of my friends have problems with their schools because of allergy issues.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I am in the UK and I have never heard of having to send in anything for the teacher to give out!!! Once a year there was always a school Christmas party where all parents would send food including cakes/sweets but that was once a year. Many UK schools do enforce a ban on sweets and crisps (for americans crisps are a common snack in the uk and are potato chips in small bags) with fruit being the only snack allowed at break. A lot of schools also monitor what packed lunches contain and some have rules about what they can be too.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I am in the UK and I have never heard of having to send in anything for the teacher to give out!!! Once a year there was always a school Christmas party where all parents would send food including cakes/sweets but that was once a year. Many UK schools do enforce a ban on sweets and crisps (for americans crisps are a common snack in the uk and are potato chips in small bags) with fruit being the only snack allowed at break. A lot of schools also monitor what packed lunches contain and some have rules about what they can be too.

Parents don't usually supply cleaning or other equipment either!!
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options

At my boys school if there is a peanut allergy in the class a sign is posted on that classroom door and the allergy is noted on weekly newsletters to parents - schools are careful about it why do people think they are not?!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    at my son's school each kid has to bring doughnuts one friday a semester for their homeroom. I hate that because doughnuts are garbage and they are expensive when it comes to 30 kids.

Which doughnut shops have you tried? I bought one at 7-11 once that was garbage. I like the locally-owned bakery up the road much better.

I meant garbage as in way too much sugar and carbs and calories. We go to Krispy Kreme because it is on the way to school. Our other option would be Walmart. They freeze and rethaw their baked good so they are gross.

Krispy Kreme donuts are the nectar of the gods. Period. I've brought them into my kid's classroom when I've read for story time.

You want to be popular with the kiddos? Bring doughnuts. 'Nuff said. :bigsmile:
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    What exactly are our taxes covering since we also have to provide all the supplies for the classrooms? My son is now grown but I was appalled at what was we were required to provide for the classroom when he was in school.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options

I LOL'd. There's a few hundred kids in the school. We still have to go to IKEA and the Golf Course for pencils.

did you lol because you think a few hundred kids is a small school? We had a graduating class of 24.

I dont even know what Golf Course is and the closest IKEA to where I live is 6 hours away.... so sorry for assuming you were from a big city...we do not have stores like those around here. We do not even have a Walmart or stores like those. We have to drive to the next closest city to get to those stores (approx. 30 min trip). We are lucky just to have the Dollar General store that we have in town.
  • DesiraeDoll11
    Options
    Tell the teacher: tough?

My daughter isn't in school yet, but if my child was suffering from cavaties the sweets will just have to be cut out for a good while. Natural sugars in fruit will be the replacement (in small quantaties). I would schedule a meeting with the teacher and kindly explain what is going on and that I don't want to continue getting candy, and if the teacher doesn't understand take it to the Principal. Your child's health is more important than the teacher's candy list!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

At my boys school if there is a peanut allergy in the class a sign is posted on that classroom door and the allergy is noted on weekly newsletters to parents - schools are careful about it why do people think they are not?!

I'm pretty sure my Mum's entire school has a ban on nuts. There are a few kids who will react simply by sitting near someone eating peanuts, so they don't take any chances.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    2 words: childhood obesity!! You have to complain to the school!!! If there is anything that I'm learning about myself food should never be a reward!

Two words: No.
  • DesiraeDoll11
    Options
    Oh. You're "that mom."

Nothing to see here and nothing to say here, other than that I feel sorry for your kid, and your kid's teachers.

What's "That Mom"????
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    at my son's school each kid has to bring doughnuts one friday a semester for their homeroom. I hate that because doughnuts are garbage and they are expensive when it comes to 30 kids.

Which doughnut shops have you tried? I bought one at 7-11 once that was garbage. I like the locally-owned bakery up the road much better.

I meant garbage as in way too much sugar and carbs and calories. We go to Krispy Kreme because it is on the way to school. Our other option would be Walmart. They freeze and rethaw their baked good so they are gross.

Krispy Kreme donuts are the nectar of the gods. Period. I've brought them into my kid's classroom when I've read for story time.

You want to be popular with the kiddos? Bring doughnuts. 'Nuff said. :bigsmile:

Did someone say Krispy Kremes? that would have been awesome to have as a treat in school.. now we have to bring prepackaged store items because of allergies. :(
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I dont even know what Golf Course is and the closest IKEA to where I live is 6 hours away.... so sorry for assuming you were from a big city...we do not have stores like those around here. We do not even have a Walmart or stores like those. We have to drive to the next closest city to get to those stores (approx. 30 min trip). We are lucky just to have the Dollar General store that we have in town.

You don't know what a Golf Course is?

Ya, IKEA is like an hour.
  • DesiraeDoll11
    Options

You don't know what a Golf Course is?

LOL. oops. Maybe that was a typo?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    What exactly are our taxes covering since we also have to provide all the supplies for the classrooms? My son is now grown but I was appalled at what was we were required to provide for the classroom when he was in school.

Mostly teacher's salaries, benefits, and pensions(depending on the school. Also utilities, building maintenance, support staff, administration, etc.
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing...I don't care what the reward is - be it candy, stickers or whatever...I'm hung up on the fact that kids are being rewarded for doing what they SHOULD be doing anyways.

And incentive for being good? I'm pretty sure keeping my name off of the chalkboard was incentive enough for me, cuz I knew if I got any check marks after my name (check marks were issued for each "bad" instance), there would be no recess for me. So what motivated me to behave? Wanting to spare myself from the embarassement of having to stay in at recess, or having my name on the chalkboard for the whole class to see.

Then blame parents, not teachers. When kids grow up with no limits and no consequences, a teacher cannot magically change his/her behavior and life outlook overnight. Do you actually think teachers WANT to have to bribe kids to get them to behave?

Kids who are raised with no consequences at home have very little real consequences at school. They are not embarrassed to have their name written on the board - they think it's funny and/or are proud of it. The number one threat for me as a kid was having a teacher call my mom. Nowadays, if you call a parent to report a child's misbehavior, you are almost just as likely to get chewed out by the parent for not being a "good enough" teacher to handle their brat of a child. You're pretty limited as to what you can take away at school. Rewards are a last but necessary resort, unfortunately.