is this abuse? I think it is!

Options

Replies

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that the OP of this thread wants to blame everyone else for this guy's choices except the guy himself. The OP talks about enablers. Maybe we should stop posting on this thread and stop being enablers to this type of thinking... Just sayin...

I like your train of thought...but by not correcting the OP wouldn't we be enabling stupidity?

Um, that's pretty vicious. How is raising a question to the responsibility of an incapacitated individual considered stupid?

At some point this man could not reasonably make his own choices without aid which is the reason why he weighed almost 900lbs he wasnt completely cognizant to the damage he was inflicting upon his body.

I wouldn't say its vicious at all. I never said that the original POST was stupid. I never said the OP was stupid. I said that we were enabling stupidity. In that case I'm referencing the resulting argument *for* the verdict of abuse.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    *** waits for message in my inbox with a warning ***
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that the OP of this thread wants to blame everyone else for this guy's choices except the guy himself. The OP talks about enablers. Maybe we should stop posting on this thread and stop being enablers to this type of thinking... Just sayin...

I like your train of thought...but by not correcting the OP wouldn't we be enabling stupidity?

Um, that's pretty vicious. How is raising a question to the responsibility of an incapacitated individual considered stupid?

At some point this man could not reasonably make his own choices without aid which is the reason why he weighed almost 900lbs he wasnt completely cognizant to the damage he was inflicting upon his body.

He put the food in his mouth, nobody else did!! He could have just said no or didn't eat it!! So he did make choices, bad choices!!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

This!!! ^^^^
  • abetterluke
    Options

He put the food in his mouth, nobody else did!! He could have just said no or didn't eat it!! So he did make choices, bad choices!!

Exactly.

The fact is...I agree that people shouldn't be bringing him pizza and cookies. Does that mean they are responsible for his weight? No. He chose to eat it.

That's like saying "Well...they built a McDonalds right down the street from him...so McDonald's is an enabler".
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    You can take a horse to water but you can't make the horse drink... and the opposite applies...

Or you'd be arguing that for all cases where people die of illnesses because they won't take their medicine because they don't like the tase/side effects...but itll make them better...
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    he ate himself to death. blaming others is like blaming other people for alcoholics. I begged my dad to stop drinking. he'd drink 6 40 oz beers a day for nearly 8 years. he died 9 years ago due to cirrhosis of liver. is it my fault? no. he killed himself. There was a tremendous lack of self control. It's why we're all on this site. To regain our self control before we kill ourselves. Unless he was strapped into a bed with a funnel shoved down his throat and his friends and family stuffing food into him, no, it's not abuse. No one shoved high calorie, non nutrient food into my mouth. I did it. I chose cake over salad. i'm fat because of poor diet and playing xbox rather than exercising. he was responsible for his eating habits, weight, and death.
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It is a very difficult situation to be in and obviously we don't know how we would behave in those circumstances. My own feeling is that yes he has made the choice and is responsible for his own death - he knew the consequences. I have not watched the programme so I dont' know who was getting the food for him, I don't think in those circumstances I would get the food for him - I would get what he would need for health and life but not the quantity and kind of food that was killing him. If he got it himself then there is nothing to be done about that. Let's hope - all of us that we never find ourselves in that situation either as the vastly overweight person or the relative that has to provide care and let's not be too hasty to pass judgement on those who are.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I see choices choice you make the choice its you all will power if you fail its your own fault blah blah same pull yourself up by the boot strap rhetoric.

It's not working! 95% of us who have ever suffered a weight problem will fail!

There is something more going on here. This is now a world wide epidemic. Over a quarter of the American population is fat, Mexico has surpassed us in fatness, Samoans follow closely behind, along with the rich oil middle east countries. Everywhere you look if there is readily accessible caloric dense/nutrient poor food you will see obesity.

Maybe it's time to think a bit beyond the basic youre fat cause you eat thought and look at what is really going on here.

We should all be very fearful about the future ramifications of this epidemic instead of just blowing it off as a personal choice thing.

PS-I have no answers. All I can do is take it from an individual stance and try to help those around me.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    For the record...here's a link to a story about him and his TLC special.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2329291/900lbs-desperate-lose-weight-New-documentary-follows-morbidly-obese-man-race-life-saving-surgery.html

And here are just a few quotes from the article:
    Mrs Naputi too is feeling some guilt as she prepares a chicken dish in the kitchen.

'I know for a fact I'm going to get scolded,' she says. 'No matter how much I try, I always tend to give in to my husband. It's really hard! My husband wears the pants in this relationship you know.'

I don't know about you...but that sounds like someone who tried NOT to enable. And there are a lot of relationships still where the man "wears the pants" and makes the decisions and the women don't have much of a say in the matter. Obviously that's not the way it should be...but why are we demonizing his wife?
    Mr Naputi was already morbidly obese when he met his wife, Cheryl. The couple have now been together for a decade

Yet more evidence to it being HIS fault.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    So you're saying the family should force and withhold? He was grown man. A very large, grown man. Until you're in that situation I dont think you should condemn others over choices he made.

Do you believe in re-feeding for people who are starving themselves to death with anorexia?
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    What really gets me when we start talking about UK programmes, is the amount of people who jump on ship to slate the programme, without actually having seen it. They jump to conclusions based on the title or some minute detail, and think they know the whole story. Watch the programme first!

I just did, and all the doctors were actually putting alot of the blame onto his Wife, the one who was doing all his shopping/cooking/feeding/caring/cleaning. This man couldn't do anything for himself, so yes actually alot of it was her fault, in my opinion.
    Still, the circumstances in which he 'died' were all too fishy if you ask me.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Maybe she got tired of him "wearing the pants."
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Nobody made me fat, I made myself fat!! :noway: I put the food in my mouth, their was no gun pointed at my head to make me eat the food!! Got to love it, it's everybody's else fault attitude society!! :mad:

You are aware that you put the food into your mouth and you were obviously aware that you were eating too much food. Not saying that this applies to the man in the documentary but there are causes of over eating where you do not recognize that you are over eating and there are cases where helpers stock cupboards with food and hold the key to those cupboards and are always present when they are opened so they can control the daily food consumption.

Ok that is an extreme example but it does happen.

Whether you believe the family and friends were enablers/abusers or not, I suspect they may have felt like they were when he died.

But how do you force someone to diet or even get checked out medically if they don't want to. I wonder if they go into detail on the documentary about how much help he was actually offered and turned down?
  • abetterluke
    Options

in all fairness to him though...if you look at the pics of him in that link he's not wearing any pants.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Nobody made me fat, I made myself fat!! :noway: I put the food in my mouth, their was no gun pointed at my head to make me eat the food!! Got to love it, it's everybody's else fault attitude society!! :mad:

You are aware that you put the food into your mouth and you were obviously aware that you were eating too much food. Not saying that this applies to the man in the documentary but there are causes of over eating where you do not recognize that you are over eating and there are cases where helpers stock cupboards with food and hold the key to those cupboards and are always present when they are opened so they can control the daily food consumption.

Ok that is an extreme example but it does happen.

Whether you believe the family and friends were enablers/abusers or not, I suspect they may have felt like they were when he died.

But how do you force someone to diet or even get checked out medically if they don't want to. I wonder if they go into detail on the documentary about how much help he was actually offered and turned down?

I dont know the numbers on this, but just from my experience I see a lot of people with mental handicaps who are obese. Specifically with downs My experience has been they have a very strong food drive and in certain institutional or group settings steps have to be made to prevent them from over eating.

PS-no idea about the mental capacity of this guy.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

in all fairness to him though...if you look at the pics of him in that link he's not wearing any pants.

LOL :laugh:

Well his metaphorical pants.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    This kind of thing is exactly what's wrong with society...

It's not his fault...blame his family!
    It's not his fault...blame mcdonalds!
    It's not their fault...blame marilyn manson!

People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

this one wins! and OP, as a former cutter, still very much a masochist, and a proud one. I was the one that decided to cut. my parents didn't hand me the blade and say go nuts. It was my free will. I chose to do it. I can't wear sleeveless shirts or dresses, but that's MY fault. Not the people that make the blades, not my family that knew about it, mine. They are my battle scars. I've been through terrible ****, and I survived.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If he was anyone in my family I would...

Have you ever tried to force someone in your family into getting help for a psychiatric problem when they didn't want to change?
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen this show so can't comment on it. But in Canada, there are shows about addicts, hoarders, and others with all kinds of issues. I would say these programs are exploiting these people at the very least, and those of us who watch them are voyeuristic.

I know people say "but it's helpful to others" and I dont' know if that is true or not. I kind of doubt it. I think we watch them because its entertaining, and it makes us feel better about ourselves and our own problems - they seem so minor in comparison. Who wouldn't feel better about being 30 lbs overweight when seeing this poor man?

So abusive? I don't know. What is the line between exploitation and abuse?

This is a bit off topic, but I do watch shows about hoarders, addictions, etc. I think that part of it is for the "shock" value but also watching to see how the counselors handle these people. I have been so impressed at the patience, especially with the hoarders. Ex. " Jim, is it okay if we donate this article of clothing?," when the whole house is full of trash. The counselors encourage the hoarder to talk about what the article means to them, have them take a couple of deep breaths and then know when it is too much anxiety for the hoarder and ask them to stop. I just watch in amazement!

ON topic, I feel sorry for that man. Yes, he did have enablers---had to have them! At 900 pounds, he was out of breath with any small amount of movement. He wasn't walking to the refrigerator, you know. Someone was bringing him food. At some point, someone should have encouraged him to seek counseling, maybe when he was 400 pounds? At 650 +, he was probably no longer a candidate for gastric bypass--there is a point when some life saving choices are taken away, because he was at the point of no return.