WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2013

Options
708718jtpif35jly.gif

:flowerforyou: :bigsmile: Welcome to a most supportive and encouraging thread. The title says women ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

:flowerforyou: Please become part of our friendly community and share your weight loss journey.

:bigsmile: How did you do with your goals and resolutions for August?

:bigsmile: What goals and resolutions do you have for September?

:flowerforyou: Together we can do what we have all struggled to do alone.

:flowerforyou: It’s easier to get to know each other if we sign our posts with a name (or alias) and a location

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

August Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*finish preparing the flower bed in the back yard (making lots of progress but won’t be done by the end of the month)
*participate in the new strength training challenge (three times a week)
*walk 18,000 steps a day (every day and many more some days)
*act the way I want to feel (going great…this makes a huge difference in my life)

September Resolutions

*finish preparing the flower bed in the back yard
*strength training two days a week (three would be better)
*be agreeable---say “OK”
* don’t sit at the computer for more than 30 minutes at a time

3294555wkqi7f4ypr.gif

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    bump for tomorrow
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,084 Member
    Options
    Sensational September to The Lovely Ladies of this thread!!!:heart::flowerforyou: :heart:

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Bump

Deb A in CNY
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Love September! Love August, love July, June and May.......I guess I just love life. Thanks for keeping us going, Barbie.

:smile: jb basking in beautiful summertime weather in the PNW
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Welcome September, Thanks Barbie

Juanita in sudbury
  • Ljoy1957
    Ljoy1957 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    August - one of my lower weight loss months but I decided to change up my walking routine and do some intervals of jogging. Seems to have helped as I ended the month with better numbers.

Ljoy in Ohio
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • LindaMcDMazz
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I just joined and need your help....I want to lose 40 lbs by Memorial Day....Tomorrow is Labor Day. Any advice out there?? Thanks everybody:)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I didn't do at all well with my August goals. :noway: I've just been holding my place, and a large part of that is that I lost some needed focus.:blushing: I want to do better in September.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

September goals:

1. Log every bite.
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 cups of water daily. (Up from last month. Two wasn't enough.)
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Made it throuth August alive!! Whew! But it turned out to be more than I really hoped for. I had a huge spiritual enlightenment that will forever change the way I used to think. I also purchased two big items that I needed this month and now I have to focus on what is really important in life. I will have to elaborate on that possibly on Monday when I will have a lot of free time to post. I usually celebrate this holiday on Sundays so that we all can rest before everyone goes back to work and school. Have a wonderful, exciting and safe Labor Day ladies. REMEMBER TO TAKE THE TIME TO BREATHE!!

P. S.- Didn't get a chance to read any of the posts on this page for September, but I will on Monday

christschild from the Great Lakes State

P.P. S. - BTW, I am praying for travelling mercy for nebslp as she travels to New Mexico for a new life adventure. Stay safe!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    bumping for tomorrow
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Since September is the month we got married I always see it as a new beginning. So here's to a new beginning

Joyce, indiana
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Robin- I love your picture with your dog! He looks like he really adores you!

I am still up at 1:50 am because I made some BAD food choices today that my stomach has not forgiven me for.:sick: :sick: I know better, but once and a while still make the wrong decisions about food. I will do better tomorrow!

My sister is in town for a few days and several family members got together tonight to go bowling. I have not been for probably 10 years. We had so much fun and laughed so hard! I think it is Michele that says she is "consistently inconsistent". That describes my bowling "talent" very well. None of us were good, but I can't remember a time that we all got together and laughed so much. DH, DD and I will definitely go more often. Maybe one of us will be able to break 100!:tongue: We decided that I should put that on my bucket list.

Only 3 more days before I need to return to work full time. Summer went by so quickly!:frown: I am a bit anxious about returning, but am feeling better about it than I did at the end of the school year. Last year was rough. This year I will be moving from middle school to high school courses. All new preps, different room, etc.. I am feeling more at peace with the decision and am excited to be teaching more challenging topics. Several of my students have stopped by my classroom as I was preparing it to tell me they were happy to find out they would have me again. It is a small school so I will have had almost all of the students in 7th and 8th grade. It is fun to see how much they have grown up.

Tomorrow is another visit with family before they return home. Afterwards I need to finish organizing and cleaning my house and work on lesson plans. I will start the day with my walk and weights or they won't get done.

Goals for September:
    Weights three times a week.
    Abs three times a week.
    Walk/jog every day for 30 to 60 minutes.
    Log every bite.
    Laugh every day.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I always have the best of intentions to join the thread, but don't remember until the month is partially over and there are hundreds of posts! I often read and find a lot of motivation here though!

August didn't get me too far, so I want to refocus for September! Goals:

Cut down on carbs to below 100 per day, with a goal of 85

Walk 3 to 4 times per week

Only weigh 1 time per week

Looking forward to getting to know you all,
    Sunnie, Central TX
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,207 Member
    Options
    Happy September everyone!

The neighbourhood is quiet for the moment so I am breathing! I can see that most of the tents haven't woken up yet, but one couple is sitting in the field, eating breakfast.
    Katla- I think writing on the thread helped me with my agitation the most. I did keep counting my blessings and it helped, but the writing was the most help. I think it was Pat who was thinking of journaling. I'm sure it can be a great tool. I used to do it, but have let it lapse. I just do it on here instead!!!:laugh:
    I have had a big problem with unwanted noise for many years. I am much better since I have lost weight, but still can easily feel invaded and aggressed by noise. That goes for music in restaurants or shops or almost anywhere other than a music venue if I haven't chosen it. As I say, it is a lot better now that I am happier, but a day like yesterday with constant drilling and banging all day and then amplified music in the evening was a bit too much even for my new found equilibrium.:huh: :tongue: With all the doors and windows shut and at the back of the house and with my ear plugs in I couldn't hear a thing!:drinker:

I reached most of my August goals, but my days off with mastitis interfered with some.
    I lost 2 lbs so beat my target and now weigh less than DH.!:laugh:
    I lost .5 in off my waist, but really want to lose some more as my large waist is making sizing difficult.
    I checked out the local pool and have bought a costume for when it starts this week.
    I have continued with my gymming and strength training with a bit of a gap for mastitis.
    I am continuing to research clothes for buying when I have some money.

In the strength training I didn't manage my press up challenge. Can still only do 20.
    Planking I surpassed myself. Can now do 2 mins 15 secs.
    Crunches still stuck at 60.
    Stuck at 20 squats.
    Stuck on the bicep curls at 8.

So - some good, some not. B+ I think.

September goals
    Buy some autumn/winter clothes. Not too many as I'm still losing
    Lose 2 lbs. Should be doable on current trend.
    Get to 25 press ups, 75 crunches, 10 bicep curls, 2.30 plank, 25 squats.
    Jalk round lanes twice in the month. Try to beat pb of 52 mins.

I think that'll do!:bigsmile:

I am making a HUGE ragu today to eat and freeze. Will have tonight with cauliflower rice and half a baked potato each. I love having stuff in the freezer that I can just defrost and heat up. We love ragu with butternut squash or other roasted veg.

Bye for now.. I know you have a holiday tomorrow so have a good one.:flowerforyou:

Love Heather from sunny and quiet (for the moment) Hampshire UK

Forgot to say I lost a lb this morning! BMI now 24.24
  • grandmagege
    grandmagege Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone this looks like a good post to join. I just had cortisone shots in both hips for pain so I'm feeling much better with more energy.I work full time and i walk the whole day at it so i get about 8000 steps there. I look at other people and they say they get 18,000 to 20,000 steps a day and I wonder how oh and i go to Curves 3 to 4 times a week. Then I read someone post and one thing they said was don't sit in front of the computer and there my problem. I come home cook dinner then sit the rest of my night on the computer. I feel that now my hips are feeling better i shouldn't sit in the evening I should keep moving.

My Goals for Sept. is:

walk more to get higher then 10,000 steps

stick as much as i can to the eating plan I bite It I write It.

Grandmagege, Upstate N,Y,
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,207 Member
    Options
    Some of you may have missed Sylvia's story which is on the end of the August thread.

Best wishes to you Sylvia:flowerforyou: :heart: Hope things continue to get better. You must have suffered so much through all that. :heart:
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Wow September already...

Just marking my spot for later. Off to the Y

Have a great day everyone!

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Happy September to one and all!!!! It`s going to be a great month:bigsmile: !!!!

Barbie:smile: Thank you again for keeping this thread going month to month, you are a jewel:flowerforyou: !

Sandy ON:smile: Congrats on the 6 pounds gone!!! That is fantastic news:bigsmile: !!! I hope you enjoy the Y!

:smile: I don`t remember who said they got into smaller yoga pants, but congrats!!! It feels good to get in a smaller size!!!

Welcome to everyone new! This is a great thread with lots of wonderful inspiring women! Come in often!!!

Michele:smile: So the front yard will be next? When you run out of projects, I`ve got a few that needs to be done here, you`re welcome to come by and help anytime:laugh: !!!

Heather:smile: Glad it`s a bit more serene for you this morning! I don`t particularly like loud noises either:noway: , I`ve been know to ask the coffee shop to turn down the music, it`s hard to talk over it at times:grumble: .

My goal for this month is to continue trying to break the rollercoaster I`ve been on for far too long:sad: . Will have to sit and ponder on what else I can try:frown: .

I am off to boss the boys this morning:devil: , one of my all time favorite things to do:bigsmile: . Must get the hair tiara worthy now:laugh: .

Have a fantastic Sunday ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny/foggy NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,914 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning, it felt fabulous to open this thread and see all the friends I’ll have to walk beside me in September.

:flowerforyou: Grandmagege, one of the biggest life changes I made since I started on MFP was to go to bed earlier because I was sitting around too much after supper and not accomplishing much and getting up earlier so I’d have time for a walk before the rest of my day started….that’s one of the ways I increased my daily step count.

:flowerforyou: Heather, the great accomplishment of your strength training is that you did it consistently in spite of time off for illness…I know that costume is the word you use for what you wear to go to the pool, but it made me think that when I dress for the pool I feel as much in costume as the I would to perform in play.

:flowerforyou: Sunnie, congrats on the weight you’ve already lost……stick with us and your success will continue and you’ll be able to share your encouragement with all of us.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, have fun bossing the boys....I'm glad to see you connected with us again this month

:laugh: the dogs are staring at me because they see that my breakfast is finished and they want to walk.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    August Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
    *finish preparing the flower bed in the back yard (making lots of progress but won’t be done by the end of the month)
    *participate in the new strength training challenge (three times a week since the challenge started)
    *walk 18,000 steps a day (every day and many more some days)
    *act the way I want to feel (going great…this makes a huge difference in my life)

3294555wkqi7f4ypr.gif

September Resolutions
    *finish preparing the flower bed in the back yard
    *strength training two days a week (three would be better)
    *be agreeable---say “OK”
    * don’t sit at the computer for more than 30 minutes at a time