Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    That 20 pages went fast!
    Marca--As I love to cook, have a good reputation for my cooking, and feed a family everyday, portion control is a huge part of my success. I just don't feel like I can fix separate meals for myself, and I know that if I said anything was off limits, I would just want it all the more. Good job on your run!
    My Tuesday goals are just to keep the walking going. I need to do my pedaler every day, too. I need to look at my sign-up goals. I think that I am getting very close to my 1 year anniversary. For a long-term goal, I would like to reach my best weight and be on maintenance by my 2 year anniversary. Even if I "graduate", I will still be hanging around because I really need the accountability and encouragement that all of you give me.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    September 4th is my anniversary on MFP. I think that I found this thread about 3 weeks after I started MFP. Kaye
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Monday check in, well, yesterday now, but I'm 2lb down and feel like I'm properly back on track now. Tuesday goals -- just keep on keeping on... I bought some cheap bulbs today and have planted about half of them; it's still a bit hot for gardening. Hopefully I'll have time to put the other half in tomorrow.

@Tom -- good luck with those whole-body workouts. Love the quote of the day.
    @Robin -- it's not so much the jabbering really; it's the way that they and their mates hang around the house and although they have a couple of little chores each, they eat all the time, they make a terrible mess, and they really don't do a lot to help. Oh well. They're darlings really. And I'm sure the place will feel empty tomorrow.
    @LilMissTalyn -- oh wow six kids! They must keep you on your toes.
    @Nicole -- what a great story that is about your job search!
    @Charlotte -- last time I did all you can eat Chinese Buffet I put 'Chinese Buffet' into the search engine here and it came up with 'Waytoomuch Chinese Buffet'. Which felt just about right! At any rate, that entry reckoned 1000 calories for two plates... If you actually want to manage the buffet rather than just having a dodgy day, the trick is to take small plates, have boiled rice rather than fried or noodles, have small amounts of grilled meat and mains, and keep right off the deep fried starters.
    @John -- if you've got used to eating five small meals a day then it might be worth having some nuts and similar things with you to ward off the munchies -- but watch out for eating 3 big restaurant meals and then having snacks as well. In some ways fast food is good because it's all calorie counted where better restaurants often aren't, and they've had to take steps to make their menus healthier so a lot of them have healthy choices. Good luck, and remember to cut yourself some slack if the trip gets a bit intense. Going over by less than 500 calories a day is *just fine*.
    @Doug -- WELCOME BACK!
    @Marca -- what a brilliant run!
    @Kaye -- happy anniversary!

Welcome newlings! This is a great thread.

Onward and Downward! What a good slogan, Kaye.

Alison
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    September 4th is my anniversary on MFP. I think that I found this thread about 3 weeks after I started MFP. Kaye

Happy anniversary!!!!
  • sirtxt
    Options
    Afternoon All,

I appreciate all of the advice for my upcoming travel. The goal is to relax and have fun. But, truth be told, "relaxing and having fun" was just another excuse for me to order the "LARGE" size of anything or get the most decadent thing on the menu. After all, "having fun and relaxing" was enabled and directly tied to FOOD. So, this will be a new adventure - baby steps - well maybe crawling - LOL.

I was reading another message board/ thread about rewarding oneself as you reduce your weight. The thread got sort of heated and polarized. There were two thoughts about this idea: 1) The reward is the reduced weight - be happy with that!!! or 2) Ever so many pounds or as milestones are achieved go get a body massage or mani and pedi or whatever.

Any thoughts?

John
  • TOPSmarca
    TOPSmarca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Company is almost here!!!!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Afternoon All,

I appreciate all of the advice for my upcoming travel. The goal is to relax and have fun. But, truth be told, "relaxing and having fun" was just another excuse for me to order the "LARGE" size of anything or get the most decadent thing on the menu. After all, "having fun and relaxing" was enabled and directly tied to FOOD. So, this will be a new adventure - baby steps - well maybe crawling - LOL.

I was reading another message board/ thread about rewarding oneself as you reduce your weight. The thread got sort of heated and polarized. There were two thoughts about this idea: 1) The reward is the reduced weight - be happy with that!!! or 2) Ever so many pounds or as milestones are achieved go get a body massage or mani and pedi or whatever.

Any thoughts?

John

Meh, I like rewarding myself for a job well done. In the past that would have been with food, but now that I understand.. I"M NOT A DOG... I try to avoid food rewards. Some new clothes, mani/pedi, massage, new shoes, all work. Personally, I buy something pretty for the apartment to make it homier. That's always something that gets pushed aside around here for more practical purchases so I consider a new painting/picture/pillow etc a luxury.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    John - My reward for being good is new (or slightly used - read "Goodwill") clothes. I can't see you indulging in a mani or pedi too frequently although men are more into those things these days. Find a pleasant activity or thing that is good for you that you really can't afford too often and give yourself that as a reward every 45 to 60 days for your good behavior - as you see changes occurring in your body. I don't see any need to "reward" yourself too often. Remember, this is a lifestyle change and you want it to become your normal lifestyle, not something that you need to reward yourself for too frequently. The rewards are for the pounds you drop!
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Tuesday Goal - to somehow get back on track. I thought I was all gung ho last week and it didn't go so well. My sisters and I had a really good talk last night (they struggle with their weight but so far haven't gotten out of control like I have). Some tears shed and a recommitment. We all are going on a Bahama/Disney cruise and then Disneyworld in February so I might have to find a beach picture and post it somewhere (or maybe everywhere :tongue: ) for extra motivation.

I'm going to take some time and read through the last week's postings and pull some inspiration from you all. I know that this board has a positivie effect on me, so I just need to make sure I spend some time here every day.

Focus on my food intake (I did load up on fruits and veggies in my house and I had a heart to heart with hubby that I needed his help to keep some high calorie snacks either out of the house or at least out of sight). PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. It's when I don't know what to make for supper/dinner that I rely on fast food or frozen pizza.

On the plus side, I'm down 1.6 pounds since last Monday. Here we go again.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,141 Member
    Options
    Hello - :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Lin
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Kaye- Happy Anniversary
    Lin-Hi!!!:happy:
    tlh- Congrats on the loss. You will get back on track.
    John- I understand your desire to have fun and enjoy the food. However, you are now learning how to eat smaller portions for your meals. Hopefully, this will translate as you travel and select smaller meals. Remember, if you go to a nice restaurant meal starters (apps) are always a good choice for a main course and they will fill you up. Taking snacks is also a great idea- I like the Nature Valley Protein bars, granola thins or fiber one bars. You might also be able to pick up some carrot or celery sticks.
    Rewards- While we should be happy with the weight loss as our reward, it is good to provide the external motivation as well. Find something you like or really want to use as a motivator. For me, it was an activity that I wanted to try (rock Climbing) once I reached a certain weight then I tried it and have not looked back since.
    Marsha- Great run.
    Kelley- Running drills are exhausting. Great job.
    Goal- Getting better at mixing up my training routines to make sure I am including more variety of activities instead of just running.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Kelley- Classes start for my son tomorrow (highschool, 10th grade) and for me on the 23rd. I am taking marketing, Word (pre-req for the advanced class), and nutrition (yay). I am a bit worried that I will have to shelf college for awhile, once I tell them about my new job. I am making 1/3 more money, so I am pretty sure that financial aid is going to laugh at me. Crossing my fingers though. After taking two months off, I can't really afford school on my own for awhile. Let me know how the new scale helps... I get far too obsessed with the number on mine, even though half the time I am sure it is wrong. (If you move it a little to the left, you lose 2 pounds/ a little to the right- you gain 3).

Karen- I think that any big change is a brave move... even with your husband's salary, you were venturing into the unknown. I am so glad that you also found yourself making the right choice. Without taking big chances, we can't expect big rewards. :):drinker:

Charlotte- The Chinese buffet sounds delightful, and it seems you did just great with your choices! Excellent work!

Tuesday Goals- Hmmmm Log every bite of food and be proud of what I am logging/ eating. I have been ohhh so lazy with the food and exercise the last week. I need to find a way to make it work!
  • blturner1
    blturner1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump :drinker:
  • Garetie
    Garetie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning MFPers!

I fell asleep last night and did not get my cardio in. Thursday rest day just got switched to last night so Thursday I’ll do the missed cardio. Tonight is cardio, strength and flexibility. I did have a pretty good food day yesterday and plan to today also.

Quote of the day:- “If you want to accomplish anything in life, you can’t just sit back and hope it will happen. You’ve got to make it happen.” ~Chuck Norris

Tom
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Thought I'd quick check in before work today.

@ Kaye -- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY -- 82 POUNDS IN A YEAR -- FANTASTIC!!
    @John - Reward system. I've been one to reward myself with a nice dinner in the past. I switched that up to spa treatments, new clothes etc. (of course I already rewarded myself for 20 pounds and now I have to hit that again -- nothing the second time around :laugh: ) Travel is hard. I know I gained weight when I took my two vacations in August. I was not good at all about limiting the types of foods. I was headed to the East Coast and the italian relatives and I didn't hold back much. Next time, I'm going to try to alternate between "I can only get this fresh here" and "this will make me feel good" dinners.
    @Lori -- glad it went well with your family
    @Charlotte - sounds like you were successful at the Chinese Buffet -- and then a walk to boot... good job!
    @Karen -- enjoy that student teacher while you got him! :devil:

Wednesday Wish -- that the temps become a reasonable range. I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to summer, but I'm ready to be in the 80's only.

Yesterday was successful for me. I got my water in and stayed within my calorie range. I went to bed at a decent time and was able to get up today with some time to spare. Yay me! :laugh: Well going to grab my first fill of water for the day. :drinker: :drinker: Hope you have a great day!!!:heart:
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @John~I agree the big reward here is the weight loss and being healthier, but I also believe it’s good for us to splurge and spoil ourselves a little for “a job well-done.” When I started this I gave myself small gifts like a new pair of earrings or a pedi, every ten pounds. But since then the “rewards” have changed to new HRM, new workout clothes, massages, etc. when I hit major milestones. I think it’s a great motivator and it gives me something to look forward to.

@Kaye~Happy one-year Anniversary on MFP!

@Charlotte~Good job with lunch yesterday, you made some great choices. You’re right, it’s about the company and not the food – good job walking some of those calories off afterwards. Great loss to boot! Great job!

@Doug~Welcome back, it’s great to “see” you!

@Nicole~You’ll have to pass along anything you learn in your nutrition class! It’s great that you’re making more money at your new job but can certainly understand being able to afford tuition on your own, college is expensive. When I returned to college I decided to attend one of the top business schools in the country (which happened to be less than 10 miles from my house) and one class ended up costing over $2k – I didn’t qualify for financial aid so it was a painful hit.
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Tuesday Goals: stop eating when I'm not hungry.
    The past few nights I have been staying up after my wife and kids go to bed to finish watching a show that was on. After and during these shows I wandered into the kitchen and grabbed a "small snack". One thing leads to another and I'm basically eating the equivalent of another meal. So I guess an addendum to my goal is to not eat at night and to try to walk or work out instead of watching tv. This is what helped me a lot when I lost it last time but I'm having trouble dragging my a%^ off of the couch to go work out.
    Wish me luck

Doug
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Tuesday Goals: stop eating when I'm not hungry.
    The past few nights I have been staying up after my wife and kids go to bed to finish watching a show that was on. After and during these shows I wandered into the kitchen and grabbed a "small snack". One thing leads to another and I'm basically eating the equivalent of another meal. So I guess an addendum to my goal is to not eat at night and to try to walk or work out instead of watching tv. This is what helped me a lot when I lost it last time but I'm having trouble dragging my a%^ off of the couch to go work out.
    Wish me luck

Doug

i don't know if you have this kind of option, but i always watch the TV farthest away from the kitchen. I live in a two story house, so I always go for the one upstairs.

Any thoughts?

John

when i was losing a lot of weight i did rewards for every ten pounds i lost. just little things i wanted and refused to buy normally. like a new shirt (thrift shop, baby) or a new book.