Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    NEED TO LOSE 100 LBS - ROBINS THREAD: You've all been amazing mentors to me and more importantly I can call you a friend. Every one is at a different place in this journey, but someone at some time has been where I'm at. I know we can all make this our lifestyle for good, but I know we're all human too and we will have ups and downs. So PLEASE keep pushing me along, give me gentle kicks in the butt when needed because your support means the world to me. One day at a time.

Susan, I love this! Totally agree! Even when I've been absent, the wonderful folks here have been greatly supportive. :flowerforyou:

Allison, congrats on the half marathon! That's an awesome achievement!! :drinker:

Morgori, the green beard is nothing short of awesome. That's an annual tradition too, right? :bigsmile:

Love the Hobbit/LOTR virtual trail idea, Karen. That said, someone has WAAAAY too much time on their hands, to figure out how far it is from Hobbiton to Rivendell, etc.

Kelly, here's hoping that there's no surgery in your future. But absolutely take good care of your tendons!!

Tina, I won't lecture you (enough folks have done it for me). Medical care is absolutely expensive. Your options include seeing an NP. You could also see if there's a local clinic for the working-but-uninsured (too much $ for state assistance, not enough for insurance). Many larger areas have one.

And to everyone else, as usual, Karen (skinnyjeanz) has beat me to it. Except for the St Patty's Day drunkenness, that is. Other than that, we often share a brain. :wink:

Sunday Share (late, as I didn't check back in): for those who don't know me, I'm a psychiatrist. I'm in management now, which has its own challenges, but I'll be taking over duties caring for a few folks here in a week or so, which I'm actually looking forward to. Don't like to get rusty. I also have two daughters and a hubby who is 2 weeks away from converting from all-night programming sessions to stay-at-home-dad life. I am not athletic and have been overweight or obese for nearly 20 years now, but with the support of the fine folks here, I was doing swimmingly until November 2012. Then travel, eating out, and the holidays booted me off the wagon and I'm struggling to get back on and stay there. It's helping to come back here, honestly. Makes me feel less alone in my struggle.

Monday check-in: well, I've been eating 2500-3500 calories daily for a while now (logging it, too, as appalling as it is). So today, with my goal of staying below 200g carbs, I skipped the fancy coffee drink, ignored the Godiva truffles at my desk (that took work), and pre-logged everything. Which I can do when I'm on call, because I bring all my food. As of now, I'm doing pretty well; 80+ calories under goal and 20g carbs under goal. But I'm HUNGRY, dammit. So I may eat the nut mix (pre-measured, thank heavens) in front of me before I go to bed. Which puts me over on calories but at least not on carbs. We'll see; I think I'll drink half a liter of water, too, and see if that helps.

ETA: Marsha, I have faith that you will do fine and wake up with a healthier heart than when you went to sleep. Recover quickly, and warmest wishes for a successful (and stress-free) procedure!
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Today was a good busy day. I made an apple crisp for the after funeral dinner of an elder friend. We have been friends of members of the family for many years. I made corned beef hash that was really good and pretty low-cal for the family tonight. SIL was here to grout the tile in the bathroom, so we fed their family, too. Late in the afternoon, I did about a 3 mile walk to the church and back to pick up my pan from the funeral. Usually, I just walk, but it is fun to have a destination in mind sometimes, too. I find that I am pretty consistently doing a 20 min. mile now. And with all of that, I was still low on my calories. I really want to eat a little more, but I'm sure having trouble adding in the calories. My daughter told me that I should try to eat a bigger lunch. I don't want to just add in junk.
    Alison--wonderful pictures, and congratulations on the half-marathon.
    Tom--I like the new look.
    I am surely thinking of all of you, especially those who are struggling with health issues, and those who are struggling with motivation. Hang in there!
    Kaye
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Happy Tuesday!

Goal is not physical fitness related.....It is to work on me by writting down things that make me feel happy about myself.

@marsha- prayers are with you today
    @Alison- Congrats on the marathon huge accomplishment
    @Tom- love the new pic
    @Liz- good luck on your goals
    @Laurie- boxing sounds like so much fun
    @Jtconst- Okay not sure of the term but I call it a wall. Do you have one at your tennis court? It is a wall usually green with a white stripe down it to represent a court you hit the ball against it like playing tennis by yourself. I loved doing this when I was a teenager.
    @Karen- Bday plans well the whole weekend is full....Friday 3/29 actual day breakfast before school with my teen, then I usually spoil myself with going to the movies or mani/pedi....that night going to dinner and checking into local hotel for rest and relaxation. Sat girl's night out for dinnner, drinks and live band but that may change was thinking comedy show being it was super cheap. Sun is easter and I probably will not feel like doing anything.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Good Morning.

@Marsha~Thinking of you this morning, keeping you and your doctor’s in my thoughts and prayers during your procedure. :flowerforyou:
    @Tom~Love the green beard, very St. Paddy’s Day - and it looks great after the annual trim!
    @Lori~I see guys walking around the gym, finding things to do while in a boot so I know it’s possible. I used to box with a former trainer all the time, tons of fun and a great way to take out some aggression! :wink:
    @Karen~Wow! That is A LOT of grading, I hope you get through it all – Spring Break for you is soon, right? I know all too well about these boots unfortunately, I tore my left Achilles about 10 years ago and spent 8 months in one - the doc said then recovery would be been quicker if I had ruptured it. Of course, I also took it off to do things so my own fault - sometimes its better when you can't take them off! :laugh:

Tuesday Goals~Well, until I see the foot/ankle doc I’m sticking to my usual routine only no running. I need to call this morning and see when I can get in, I’m still not sure what he’ll do. I’m hoping for an injection and stability boot but if it’s bad enough he may cast it. I have found an elliptical at the gym that doesn’t put any stress on that tendon and neither does the arc trainer, so I will stick to those for a while. My trainer said I really need to embrace swimming, but I hate getting in that cold water! I may suck it up and swim on Friday night though. I was going to go to the gym this morning before work and bike for a while, but wouldn’t you know it I actually slept past 4am! So until I see the doc, here is my schedule for this week:

Sunday~Training DONE!
    Monday~Elliptical DONE!
    Tuesday~Rest Day
    Wednesday~Training
    Thursday~Rest Day
    Friday~Arc Trainer or swim
    Saturday~Elliptical
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    I think that weekend benders might just be a good thing! I had a great lifting session last night. My first superset I increased the weight in 2 of the 3 exercises. The second superset of overhead press followed by pushups with a row is killing me! I was able to complete more of the pushup with a row then I have in the past but I fall far short of the 12 reps... even had a hard time finishing them as regular pushups.

My post workout burpees are going better now too, I refuse to skip them! Couple weeks to my Spartan Sprint I need to lay the hammer down now! Tonight is cardio night, and as much as I hate it... I will run on the treadmill. If it was a little less horrible out I would run outside... My running needs to step up big time starting now!
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    So at class last nigh, which is my CNA class. I got in a little early and spoke to my teacher who is an RN. I told her everything that happened. I told her what my blood pressure was and she didn't seem concerned in the least about anything I told her....not sure how I feel about that. She said it could have been caused from anxiety. She also said that my blood pressure isn't that high and not to be concerned about...

But don't get me wrong I am going to keep an eye on it and keep checking it. And if anything changes I WILL go to the doctor. Because i am still scared over what happened. I had NO caffeine yesterday. I drank water all day. I logged my food and was under on calories. Still trying to find a way to work in some exercise. But one step at a time. Unfortunately I feel as if I am starting over. And I may update my tracker to the weight I am now and start all over. But I am back. And that's what matters. I just lost my way for a little while.

Will try to catch up with everyone!

I feel better even after just one day of back to the way I was before as far as eating and my water intake.
  • Desdemina
    Desdemina Posts: 150 Member
    @Alison - you are my hero!

@Marsha - I'll be thinking about you! Think positive thoughts! Research shows that a positive attitude helps with recovery.

@trhjrh - I reset my tracker when I came back after a long time (and 50 pounds gained). It keeps me from seeing all the weight I've lost as just regaining ground. It was a new start, and I can just focus on the losses, not what I gained in the two years I was gone. But if you're still lower than your starting weight, I wouldn't change it. You're still down so much, celebrate that you didn't gain it all back!

Well, guys, I did it! I am now in the 220s! A new "tens". Funny how that middle number can make you feel...
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Marsha - my thoughts and prayers are with you now and through the next days for you.

Tina - I would recommend you ignore your teacher's blase attitude towards your health and try to get yourself to a doctor. Why put yourself in the high risk category and shorten your life span and choose one womans advice over all our advice? It doesn't make sense! Her attitude could have been influenced by the fact of the student/teacher relationship. Duh. Do you have a campus health office???????????? Tina please listen to us. You have CHILDREN. (big sigh of frustration) That's the last I'm going to say on the matter. I care.

Tom - love the pictures - gosh you are so slim in the new, shorter beard pic. :love:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Good morning everyone! No time for personals right now, but I wanted to set up my Tuesday Goals--I bet you can all guess what they are...:wink:

Tuesday Goals:
    I will finish my last few Gatsby journals (#6) and then start on #2 or #8, depending on what mood strikes me. I would also like to get at least one more JRP done during the school day. I realized I had listed AP journals twice--once as "journals" and once as "Yeats." I excitedly deleted one only to realize I needed to add AP test corrections which I will collect tomorrow. I'm also leaning towards NOT collecting the Huck Finn analyses--we're working on them in class together, so not any real need for me to collect and grade. I will probably just give completion points for it.

Grading Goals:
    1. 14/57 JRPs
    2. x/16 ACT practice essays
    3. 16/16 Vocab quizzes DONE
    4. x/47 AP essays
    5. x/16 Grammar tests
    6. 50/57 Gatsby journals
    7. x/47 AP journals (Yeats)
    8. x/57 Satirical cartoons
    9. x/57 Huck Finn analyses
    10. x/47 AP test corrections
  • _tru_
    _tru_ Posts: 96
    BohemianCoast - Wow! This is amazing! You are my hero! Congratulations!

Tina - That is scary! Please do keep monitoring and see a doctor if necessary! Glad you are okay though.

Everyone who partied - Glad you had a great St. Patrick's Day!

Tuesday Goals - To get up to 10 minutes on the elliptical. Walk EVERY day.

Have a great day everyone!
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Tuesday goals: To paraphrase Dorie: "Just keep walking, just keep walking, just keep walking."
    Today is laundry. We also need to seal the new bathroom floor and get the toilet set. It sure looks nice in there!
    trhjrh--That blood pressure is too high to keep up on a regular basis. It wouldn't be dangerous if it was only once, but you are showing some consistency here and it will do damage. That's why high blood pressure is called the silent killer.
    Have a good day. Kaye
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Good News. I saw my foot/ankle doc this morning - no surgery, no boot. He put some inserts in my shoes to take the stress off my Achilles and said to modify my exercise - elliptical and bike okay, walking is ok on flat surface or on decline, but absolutely no running. Once healed I'll be able to return to running on treadmill but probably not on uneven surface for several months. He also asked me to take Bromelain (an anti-inflammatory supplement) to aid in the healing and hopefully prevent occurrences in the future. I just have to follow-up as needed. Feel like a dodged a bullet! :bigsmile:
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Thank you everyone for your concerns. As for the high blood pressure I just noticed it happen that day. It hasn't been an ongoing problem. My blood pressure is usually pretty normal. I am actually feeling really good today. I will check my BP while I am out grocery shopping tonight. And if it is still high, than I will make a doctor appt and get it checked out.
    Robin I appreciate that you care! I care and really listen to what everyone is saying. Basically what I am saying is if it gets worse or doesn't get better (which I am feeling A LOT better) then I will go to the doctor. It hasn't been an ongoing thing. It just happened that one day. And my bp like I said is usually pretty normal. I'm not sure why my teacher didn't really ask questions or seem concerned. I am STILL concerned which is why I am taking steps to make things better. And again, if I don't notice a change or it gets worse I will go to the doctor. Yes I have a daughter and I want nothing more than to be healthy and here for her for a long time. I know this. I will get it checked out if I need to.
    I honestly thank everyone for their concerns and will keep you updated on everything.
    I have no idea if I have a campus health office, I might check into that. But I doubt it. It's a 2yr college. Maybe if things get worse next week I will go.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Thanks for everyone's kind words about the half marathon! I'm pretty pleased with myself. The weather was horrid; it tipped down with rain for most of the time, including the hour before the race and the time immediately after it. So I was soaked through and all the spectators had given up and gone home by the time I finished! I did a mix of running and walking for the first 9.5 miles, at which point my knee started to hurt and I walked most of the rest of the way. But I finished which is the main thing. Weight loss took a back seat last week as I was fairly carefully carbo-loading but I'm back on the plan now. I've got a few hard days this week because I'm not going to be able to exercise very much; my knee still hurts a bit. Today I went for a lovely swim instead; it's the *best* thing if you don't want to put weight on sore joints.

Tuesday goals: that I rest up enough for my knee to get better, and then get back to running! I've been working towards this goal for such a long time that I need to be really careful to refocus and keep on track now. I'm wondering about doing another half in about six months time, and making sure I mix up long runs with speed work in the meantime.

And now, personals:

Everyone turning 40: well, my 40s have been great so far! I'd recommend them really...

@Tru -- Oh, gosh, do please try to find ways to love the person you are now at whatever size that is!
    @Courtney -- I don't know if it helps, but not having margaritas is even cheaper than half price ones! Amazing, isn't it?
    @Des -- Great hair cut.
    @Holly -- your ex is No Good for you!
    @Karen -- congratulations on your 2 years on MFP! Isn't it a great journey?
    @Marsha -- thinking of you for your procedure; hope it all goes very smoothly indeed.
    @Gorilla -- I did *not* have a very boozy St Patrick's day, nor yet the night before. Doing a half marathon will do that to you. I did have one beer afterwards.
    @Kris -- Good luck getting all your finances tidied up, and sorry about Mr HerpesWithLegs -- a memorable image that will Stay With Me.
    @ebailey -- c25k was *so good* for me. I might be the slowest runner ever in the world, but I never thought I'd be able to do this stuff at all.
    @Kaye -- focus on the one pound lost, not the rate. It doesn't matter how long the journey takes. I think it's ok to be a bit low on calories on days when you're really busy and do loads of exercise; you'll probably find you're hungry tomorrow and it's ok to eat a bit more then too.
    @Kelley -- kitteh in teh box! I'm so glad to hear that you're not in a boot. Boo to no running but at least you've got the other cardio options still.
    @Susan -- I know we started this at about the same time and we've been neck and neck all the way, so I know that you can do this too. It's hard keeping focused on the lifestyle stuff while you're managing the challenges of a new job.
    @Tina -- I don't like to get political in this group, but I fret about all the people I know in the US who don't have access to decent healthcare. Your teacher is probably right, but I can't help thinking this is the sort of thing that should be checked out. Anyway, if it gets you focused and back on track, that's a good effect.
    @Des -- 50 pounds really felt like a wonderful milestone to me, perhaps better than any of the others so far. And I do still feel just the same, but when I looked back at the old photos to do a progress photo, I realised I do actually look quite different!
    @Tom -- love the green beard photo! But you look really *fantastic* in the post-Paddy's-Day trim photo.
    @Tammy -- we have some free tennis courts quite near; I've got it pencilled in for when the weather's better, though we'd need racquets.

OK; it feels great to be back and caught up. Hope everyone is having a wonderful week.

-- Alison
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Tina - Glad you're keeping an eye on it. I didn't want to be an alarmist, but I'd hate for someone to wind up where I did when it would have been so simple to deal with it right away.

Tom - LOVE the picture, I think you look 10 years younger with the shorter beard!

Marsha - You are in my thoughts today! Hope to see you back here super quick!

Tuesday goals - Going to make them simple. DRINK DRINK DRINK DRINK (water that is). Want to get to my 12 glasses a day this week and stay there. Also, replace all junk (slipped a bit last night with some cadbury's mini eggs....but I had a FREE coupon for them and it was a single serving pack.) with fruit. The guys here at work are all making fun of me because I brought in TONS of fruit. I do most of my eating at work so I'll keep the fruit here and bring some home each night to eat there. Feeling full and sluggish but it's 10 AM and that means a snack.... want it or not I have to eat it. Otherwise I'll get too hungry before lunch ...not be satisfied with the amount I brought for lunch and the rest of the afternoon I'll be scrambling for food. Eat now and stay full! Banana time!
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    @ des - great hair cut.
    @bailey - I too started running with C25K. It is a great program. If you have an MP3 player, you can download the podcasts from iTunes for free.
    @hyzaarc - seeing how things go at your aunt's may be a good option. It can be difficult when we are grown to live with our parents as they can still see us as their children.
    @Mowmow - your snug XL shirt is just a gentle nudge to remind you how far you've come. You can do it - you went from a 6x to an XL. That is amazing. Sounds like you've put a good plan into place to get back on track.
    @Tina - I'm always glad to be Canadian, but never more so when it comes to health care. Keep checking that pressure, try to use the same machine, at the same time of day. Watch your sodium intake too. My pressure will spike if I've had a big sodium meal.
    @Tom - love the green beard and the trim afterwards.
    @Alison - 1/2 marathon is on my bucket list, but for now, because of the nutritional demands of running that distance, I'm concentrating on getting under 200 lbs first. You have definitely inspired me. I will run one once I'm under 200.
    @jt - love that you & your hubby hit the tennis court. I'd suck at it too, but it sounds like it was great fun.
    @Grammy - good luck today. You will be in all our thoughts.
    @Holly - great goal - we all need to remind ourselves how great we are. Sounds like you have a great birthday weekend lined up.
    @Gorilla - glad your post-bender workout went well.
    @Karen - good luck with all that marking.

Tuesday goal - get rid of this cold that seems to have landed on me out of the blue yesterday. Stayed home from work today - which always makes me feel guilty, especially since we are 2 weeks away from year end and soooo very busy. But I'm definitely feeling better. No gym tonight though - can't spread the germs there. May have a walk on our treadmill, but may just take the day off. Tomorrow is.a run day, I'm hoping I feel better for it. And more dang snow today, I'm so very tired of seeing that snow!
  • Desdemina
    Desdemina Posts: 150 Member
    Great news!

I talked to the doctor's office to see if my bloodwork had come back.

Now, the main thing I was interested in was the fasting insulin level, since that's what was so high last time. The ideal range is 0-15 mcIU/ml. When I was tested in December, mine was 25.

In the test I had last week?

(Drum roll, please!)

13!

Woo hoo!

Now, I still have some other issues, I can't let up yet! But it looks like the insulin resistance is under control, or well on it's way. I'm still on the high end on the scale. And my HDL levels are too low, so they told me to make sure I'm taking my fish oil (which I do, every morning!) and to increase my exercise (yeah, still struggling with that one.)

But I'm exercising by doing the happy dance about my fasting insulin levels!

(edited for typo!)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Des, this is fantastic news!! Hard work that paid off, well done!
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    @skinny: Thanks for the links!
    @Marsha: sending love your way!
    @Alison: congrats on the half! 13.1 miles is still 13.1 miles whether it is walking or running. and yes, I am loving c25k so far. It really challenges me to the limits, and I feel so accomplished when I complete the runs.
    @tr: is there maybe an urgent care or something near you? We have something called 98.6 that works well for quick check-ups.
    @kah: glad to hear there is no need for a boot or surgery.
    @drojen: thanks for the tip, I will try to look for them on iTunes to add. All I miss about the app is for it to tell me when to start running/walking so I won't have to pay attention to the time on the machine so much.
    @des: Great news!!

I have been drinking water like a beast. And my bladder reminds me every 2 hours at night. How do you keep hydrated but don't have to pee in the middle of the night??

I ended up working yet another 11 hour day. It sucks having so many in a row, but it's been going by quickly and my paycheck will be SO fat come next week. Maybe I can invest in Insanity after all. My trainer friend/workout buddy said she is starting the virtual challenge group next week, but is adding people every two weeks, due to my getting upset that I have no money to order it right now, as I get paid next Thursday. I love getting my own way sometimes.

Tonight is strength at home with hubby, will be starting a glute challenge with squats tonight as well.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @bailey--if you stay hydrated consistently, the need to pee every couple of hours will go away in a day or 2. Your body will adjust and you'll be able to get a full night's sleep. However, if you slack off for a day or 2, you'll be "starting over" so to speak.

@des--great news! :drinker:

@jen--I know what you mean about snow and cold--I just want normal temps which would be high 40's. Tomorrow will be a high of 25 for the 1st day of spring. :grumble:

I will do more personals later. Just wanted to update goals and then it's more grading. Finished 3/9 goals, and now I will grade a few more JRPs.

Grading Goals:
    1. 14/57 JRPs
    2. x/16 ACT practice essays
    3. 16/16 Vocab quizzes DONE
    4. x/47 AP essays
    5. x/16 Grammar tests
    6. 57/57 Gatsby journals DONE
    7. x/47 AP journals (Yeats)
    8. 57/57 Satirical cartoons DONE
    9. x/47 AP test corrections