We trashed the sodas, chips, cookies

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    They're important, but not nearly as important. It's very easy to consume the wrong macronutrients. Just look at how many overweight people there are: they're overweight because they consume improper amounts of macronutrients.

We don't have "micronutrient deficiency" rates of 30% or more. We do have obesity rates of 30% or more. Obesity comes from improper macronutrient intake.

If you want to pretend macronutrients don't matter that much, you're totally wrong. Obesity is literally caused by improper macronutrient intake.

For what it's worth, we've been preaching moderation as a response to the obesity epidemic for 50 years, and it's only getting worse.

Who is preaching moderation? I don't see it. I see "don't eat junk food," "try the xyz cleanse," "the Oprah diet," "HCG pills," "Raspberry Ketones," "toxins," "eat clean," "white rice/bananas/sugar/fat/you name it will make you fat," etc.

What isn't being taught, or at least not taught well out of the current nutrition programs in schools, is moderation. Moderation is work. It's simple but it SAS isn't easy for a lot of people, and many of them end up blaming this food or that when they fail.
    I see both. I see all the ketones and sugar is evil (I'll leave HFCS aside for now). I see lots of "diets are bad" posts by folks who've clearly never learned anything about the diet being discussed. And I see the whole nom nom give me my pop tarts side where very rarely does anyone mention moderation or what true moderation means. And, I've seen it in this thread as well, with the "implication" that pop tarts are nutritious. We have a generation of obese folks, who live on convenience foods, who don't, it appears, practice moderation as a life style (again, they're overweight for a reason, and I think we at least agree it's due to excess calories). We have a lot of overweight folks, who are probably malnourished (not just the now well know vitamin-D deficiencies).
    I don't believe in demonizing foods, per se, but do think pointing out the relative nutritional "value" of a variety of approaches to meeting ones' calorie goals. Perhaps its all lost in "iffym", which, again, I think most of our newer community members don't really understand. So they see: eat the twinkie, and absorb (bad choice of words) little else from the advice offered.

ETA: How are folks at keeping the weight OFF after they've hit their weight loss goal? THIS seems to be the real issue, and "calories in/calories out" aside there is NO one size fits all best approach to doing so.
    The comparisons to money budgeting are apt here. We each handle our money differently, with the same overall goals.

Crafting a message that will get through is incredibly difficult. It's why people get degrees in marketing. I agree that a lot gets lost in the Pop Tart and ice cream discussions here, but there is always a reference or two to detailed information from people who have volunteered their time to craft some well thought out messages. This isn't a board of marketing professionals, and while we all enjoy a good debate or discussion, it is no one's job here to market IIFYM to anyone else. Many of us also have our own diets to worry about, and our own life struggles. If someone wants to peruse these boards and learn from them they can. The information is here. If they want to have the information spoon fed to them, then they're probably going to much more readily fall for the "ripped in 30 days" crap that is slickly marketed.

So yes, the message could be better conveyed, but people also have to listen to what is actually being said, and they have to really sit down and think through the arguments and claims.

As for how people keep it off, I'm sure there are many different approaches. I have plenty of weeks where I don't carefully track and go over, but I doubt that I will ever truly stop counting calories. It's become second nature to me, and in my own incredibly nerdy way, I actually enjoy it.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    They're important, but not nearly as important. It's very easy to consume the wrong macronutrients. Just look at how many overweight people there are: they're overweight because they consume improper amounts of macronutrients.

We don't have "micronutrient deficiency" rates of 30% or more. We do have obesity rates of 30% or more. Obesity comes from improper macronutrient intake.

If you want to pretend macronutrients don't matter that much, you're totally wrong. Obesity is literally caused by improper macronutrient intake.

For what it's worth, we've been preaching moderation as a response to the obesity epidemic for 50 years, and it's only getting worse.

Who is preaching moderation? I don't see it. I see "don't eat junk food," "try the xyz cleanse," "the Oprah diet," "HCG pills," "Raspberry Ketones," "toxins," "eat clean," "white rice/bananas/sugar/fat/you name it will make you fat," etc.

What isn't being taught, or at least not taught well out of the current nutrition programs in schools, is moderation. Moderation is work. It's simple but it SAS isn't easy for a lot of people, and many of them end up blaming this food or that when they fail.
    I see both. I see all the ketones and sugar is evil (I'll leave HFCS aside for now). I see lots of "diets are bad" posts by folks who've clearly never learned anything about the diet being discussed. And I see the whole nom nom give me my pop tarts side where very rarely does anyone mention moderation or what true moderation means. And, I've seen it in this thread as well, with the "implication" that pop tarts are nutritious. We have a generation of obese folks, who live on convenience foods, who don't, it appears, practice moderation as a life style (again, they're overweight for a reason, and I think we at least agree it's due to excess calories). We have a lot of overweight folks, who are probably malnourished (not just the now well know vitamin-D deficiencies).
    I don't believe in demonizing foods, per se, but do think pointing out the relative nutritional "value" of a variety of approaches to meeting ones' calorie goals. Perhaps its all lost in "iffym", which, again, I think most of our newer community members don't really understand. So they see: eat the twinkie, and absorb (bad choice of words) little else from the advice offered.
    I don't think you are giving new people very much credit. When a new person sees a diary like Jonnythan's, isn't it possible that they're thinking, "Hey, I could follow a diet like that! I could be successful for the first time ever without depriving myself and still be active and healthy. And I could do it FOREVER." I know that's what I thought. It was a revelation. :flowerforyou:

This was your 666th post. If that's not proof you and I are evil, nothing is.

ETA: Dang I misread. Only 606.
    I'll praise your diary again in another 60 posts or so and we'll be all set.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

As for how people keep it off, I'm sure there are many different approaches. I have plenty of weeks where I don't carefully track and go over, but I doubt that I will ever truly stop counting calories. It's become second nature to me, and in my own incredibly nerdy way, I actually enjoy it.
    NERD
    (says me with my fitbit flex!)
    Keep doing what you're doing. It's working. And I'll keep doing what I'm doing. cheers:flowerforyou:
  • undrznith
    undrznith Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just read a few comments, but I am astonished at how many people were criticizing these guys for ditching the soda and junk food. I say good for you guys! The crap need not go into your body. Your body is not a garbage can and food is not supposed to be entertainment. You could lose weight eating ice cream and cake, but you wouldn't be very healthy. Stick to whole, fresh foods. Good going guys!

Again. How does ice cream and cake, in moderation, make you less healthy?

Hmm... Don't know but apparently making the decision to purge it from your home makes you a target for criticism and ridicule ;)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I just read a few comments, but I am astonished at how many people were criticizing these guys for ditching the soda and junk food. I say good for you guys! The crap need not go into your body. Your body is not a garbage can and food is not supposed to be entertainment. You could lose weight eating ice cream and cake, but you wouldn't be very healthy. Stick to whole, fresh foods. Good going guys!

Cause evil

cupcakes.jpg
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Hmm... Don't know but apparently making the decision to purge it from your home makes you a target for criticism and ridicule ;)
    So apparently in addition to not being good at moderation in our diets we're not so good at moderation in our views of our diets. :smile: Awfully black and white around here today. :bigsmile:
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Awesome job and dedication!! It's hard to do, but I know myself and I can't have in the house :)

Keep it up! Your body will thank you!

I look at my mother who is visiting for the summer from Alaska. She is 75 and she is a joy! Its been a reminder how Important it is to take care of ourselves as we get older. From teeth to working out, to the food aspect.

Your body will truly thank you after the agent of 60!

Have a great day!

Shannon,ATL
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If it was perfectly good food we would not have thrown it out. I didn't send it to the food bank.
    We don't send ciqarettes to the food bank.

If we choose to donate we want to make sure we are keeping our principals up., now that we are becoming educated on food. I want to make sure that the food bank is getting the same good quality that we are eating. not products that we are putting in our garden waste. The only good thing is that it is biodegradable.

I know I sound excited but I am so stoked with this new energy |i have got from eating well. and the new lifestyle we have got going for ourselves.

And you sound excited too, which is awesome! Congrats to you and your buddy for making choices that are healthy for you and working for you! Keep up the good work and let us know, from time to time, how you both are sticking to your plan.
  • jrniven
    jrniven Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    What ever works for you. Haters gonna hate. I once left a coke zero in my pick up for a few days. Oddly enough it turned clear. I use diet drinks as a tool to deal with a craving, or if I am realllly hungry to get my brain to **** off for a bit till I eat next.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I don't think you are giving new people very much credit. When a new person sees a diary like Jonnythan's, isn't it possible that they're thinking, "Hey, I could follow a diet like that! I could be successful for the first time ever without depriving myself and still be active and healthy. And I could do it FOREVER." I know that's what I thought. It was a revelation. :flowerforyou:

yeah :) I read two days of Jonnythan's diary, and yes he is eating a lot. For him though he can eat more calories than me, prolly due to exercise. if i could eat 700 more calories in a day, i too could have his snacks. But i can only have 1600 so i utilize them better, i'd like to eat more solid food like more meat or something like that, rather than snacks.. but i have that 1600 so it doens't go very far with high calorie food. so what am i gonna do? eat less but eat food with more calories, or eat more low-calorie food and get more volume which will fill me up better. (they key for me to not being deprived is to not go hungry).

I don't get that much exercise. Go back to late spring for days where I was exercising less. Plenty of days I got a lot of exercise calories, but plenty of days I did nothing too. Lots of sub 2000 calorie days with ice cream and McDonald's.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    when did this place turn into bashing people for not wanting to eat cookies....all you snarky "im going to think of you while i eat my ice cream tonight" people are annoying
    Yeah, it's very strange.

Yes, you can not die eating pop tarts. You can lose weight eating pop tarts. You can take a vitamin and fortified stuff and not get scurvy. That doesn't mean it's the only way or the best way.

I think the risk of someone freaking out and binging because they decided not to keep pop tarts at home is overstated. It's much more likely they will binge on the pop tarts if they are actually in the cabinets. There is a potential for an unhealthy fear of food, but most people will not go that far. When they throw stuff out, it is because they have recognized that cookies are a sometimes food and don't want to get in the habit of eating them daily.
    i'd like to eat more solid food like more meat or something like that, rather than snacks.. but i have that 1600 so it doens't go very far with high calorie food.
    I don't know what your cal count is, but cal counts for meat are really not that bad. A 6 oz ribeye is only 450 cals and that's a fatty cut of meat. Stuff like sirloin and chicken is even less and they'll keep you full longer than a poptart (just to bring it back to the theme!) Many people find their hunger is better controled with more protein.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Well this thread was certainly entertaining.

My two cents:

- I think learning to moderate "junk" food intake is more realistic long term for *most* people. Some people can kick it forever and be good to go, and that's great. But I do agree that moderation is *generally* the key to success.

- I don't have anything against OP for getting rid of all the junk food. I think that's smart if you're going to go cold turkey. I do have an issue with not donating any of it- if OP didn't want it, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there who not only WANT it, but NEED it. Summer time is the most critical time to donate in most states.

- I love peaches.

- I love pop tarts. Peanut butter pop tarts? OMG. :love:

- I love ice cream. Though Ben & Jerry's crazy flavors will always have my heart, Skinny Cow fits the bill quite nicely.

- It's been said a million times, but don't go on the internet expecting everyone to be 100% lovey dovey and overly supportive. There will be sarcasm, snarkiness, meme's, and GIF's galore. Embrace it. Without it, the internet would be quite boring. :wink:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

yeah :) I read two days of Jonnythan's diary, and yes he is eating a lot. For him though he can eat more calories than me, prolly due to exercise. if i could eat 700 more calories in a day, i too could have his snacks. But i can only have 1600 so i utilize them better, i'd like to eat more solid food like more meat or something like that, rather than snacks.. but i have that 1600 so it doens't go very far with high calorie food. so what am i gonna do? eat less but eat food with more calories, or eat more low-calorie food and get more volume which will fill me up better. (they key for me to not being deprived is to not go hungry).

I don't get that much exercise. Go back to late spring for days where I was exercising less. Plenty of days I got a lot of exercise calories, but plenty of days I did nothing too. Lots of sub 2000 calorie days with ice cream and McDonald's.

right, but the fact that you did enough to eat 700 extra calories (or was it 250?) but in any case because of your small bit of exercise you were able to eat those extra calories and you chose some snacks.

as for me, i have 1600 calories with no exercise and i have to use those wisely.

You might say i should increase exercixe but for personal reasons, im not doing that as well yet.

GRRR i cant fix this text to read outside of the OP's post grrr
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    when did this place turn into bashing people for not wanting to eat cookies....all you snarky "im going to think of you while i eat my ice cream tonight" people are annoying
    Yeah, it's very strange.

Yes, you can not die eating pop tarts. You can lose weight eating pop tarts. You can take a vitamin and fortified stuff and not get scurvy. That doesn't mean it's the only way or the best way.

I think the risk of someone freaking out and binging because they decided not to keep pop tarts at home is overstated. It's much more likely they will binge on the pop tarts if they are actually in the cabinets. There is a potential for an unhealthy fear of food, but most people will not go that far. When they throw stuff out, it is because they have recognized that cookies are a sometimes food and don't want to get in the habit of eating them daily.
    i'd like to eat more solid food like more meat or something like that, rather than snacks.. but i have that 1600 so it doens't go very far with high calorie food.
    I don't know what your cal count is, but cal counts for meat are really not that bad. A 6 oz ribeye is only 450 cals and that's a fatty cut of meat. Stuff like sirloin and chicken is even less and they'll keep you full longer than a poptart (just to bring it back to the theme!) Many people find their hunger is better controled with more protein.

oh yeah that is true. My point was that I'd rather eat those calories in more meat - something that will satisfy me, rather than other things that wont, i.e. snacks like oreos, cookies, cakes, bags of cheetos, highly salted foods, fattening sauces, etc. Although ironically, a small piece of chocolate cake has less calories than some chicken wrap sandwiches, but the sandwhich would be more filling though it has more calories than the cake.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Please tell me that when you say 'trashed' you didn't actually throw perfectly good food into the trash, but that you donated it to your local food bank?
    i packed-up all foods (non-perishable) and took it to our food bank. all the fresh foods, we ate them until they were gone so as not to waste money. but we won't be buying more! :smile:

Perfectly good food? Did you not read the post? It was chips sodas and other crap. I have had to (in the past) avail myself of food banks. Believe me, we don't need that crap in them. Thanks anyway.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Please tell me that when you say 'trashed' you didn't actually throw perfectly good food into the trash, but that you donated it to your local food bank?

THIS! So, so, so much this.

Also, I think it's weird (personally) to do that...I figure, if I have stuff around that is not great for me but I LIKE...I'll just eat 1 junky item every day or two along with tons of balanced, high-nutrition, healthy meals.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    my best buddy and I detoxed our cupboards. We did a cleanse,. We have been lurking around the message board for a couple of months but just joined.

We want to thank all those who posted with how important it is to look at what we were putting in our bodies.

We have a certified nutritionist for our meals, worth the money and a fitness trainer. We also see the doctor regularly. The three of them advised it would be good for us to rid ourselves of the junk foo and sodas.
    We do have our own diet plan that we write down daily.

My buddy is down 12 pounds in two months , I am reduced by 14 .

We are going strong.

A great move. Junk food is exactly that: "junk". If you are going to eat something, make it natural and healthy. Amazing how a couple of guys making a positive move to enhnace thier lifestyle can bring out all the haters. Don't believe any of the "IIFYM" losers. These are only people who are too weak to give up the crap and eat real food. Why would one eat crap when you can eat real. You guys made the right move. Good for you.

Yep, I'm an IIFYM "loser"..I've lost over 60lbs. Yay for me!!!

Good one. No one said you could not lose weight utilizing an IIFYM type of diet. One can lose weight eating dog food, or even soda's and chips. You missed the point, as most IIFYM users do. It's about being healthy not skinny.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    my best buddy and I detoxed our cupboards. We did a cleanse,. We have been lurking around the message board for a couple of months but just joined.

We want to thank all those who posted with how important it is to look at what we were putting in our bodies.

We have a certified nutritionist for our meals, worth the money and a fitness trainer. We also see the doctor regularly. The three of them advised it would be good for us to rid ourselves of the junk foo and sodas.

We are going strong.

A great move. Junk food is exactly that: "junk". If you are going to eat something, make it natural and healthy. Amazing how a couple of guys making a positive move to enhnace thier lifestyle can bring out all the haters. Don't believe any of the "IIFYM" losers. These are only people who are too weak to give up the crap and eat real food. Why would one eat crap when you can eat real. You guys made the right move. Good for you.

Good one. No one said you could not lose weight utilizing an IIFYM type of diet. One can lose weight eating dog food, or even soda's and chips. You missed the point, as most IIFYM users do. It's about being healthy not skinny.

Not sure if you have a good grasp on what dietary factors really influence health.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

We are going strong.

You truly have no idea what iIFYM even is, do you?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

We are going strong.

:huh: