We trashed the sodas, chips, cookies

Options

Replies

• mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The "point" is learning to eat in a responsible way. Throwing out everything "unhealthy" and yelling NEVER AGAIN is more often a road to failure than success. The willpower to simply never let yourself have things you love is not stronger than the urge to have those things you love long-term except in a few people.

The smarter thing to do is learn to responsibly enjoy the things you love. If you love ice cream, you're much less likely to eventually give in and eat an entire point in one sitting if you know you're already budgeted yourself some for tomorrow, instead of thinking "I'll buy ice cream just this once."

I've heard a lot of addicts talk about drugs like that, too.

In seriousness, any dietary change ever is more often a road to failure than success. The success rate for people who change their eating habits is abysmally low, regardless of what that change entails. Criticizing someone's changes, especially when they've demonstrated a good amount of aptitude for managing that change successfully, is not really useful.

Plus a change now doesn't mean he can't change again down the road. Right now, he might find the restriction useful. Later on, he might want to add some more stuff back. It's a highly personal experience. If it's working for him, why bother criticizing?
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    So you basically turned it into a house of deprivation. I will think of you as I enjoy my Ben & Jerry's tonight.

No, giving up various foods is not deprivation.. its called making a choice to eat more nutritious food. Its all attitude.. if a person wants to feel deprived they will think that way.

I dont eat that and i do not feel deprived. I feel liberated from food that was not as good for me as other choices. I have a budget of nutrients to eat, and I shall eat the best food possible for the calories and nutrients allotted for me.

I think you're just upset that I am able to say "I'm having 1 serving of ice cream tonight", and I can actually do that. I've quoted your posts in the past and will say it again, you do deprive yourself. Just like the other day where you were preaching about pizza. You think the people who fit ice cream and pop tarts and what not just eat that stuff all day long? Come on now. Also remember, my caloric and macro needs are much different than yours as we live 2 totally different lifestyles.

No will power = throwing cookies in the trash so they don't pig out on them. I have kinds of different ice cream in the freezer, 4 kinds of pop tarts and 4 different kids cereals in the kitchen. I don't sit there and binge on it because I know there's always tomorrow or next week.

No, sorry Im not upset because you ate ice cream and I didn't. However, I did have ice cream which is a fave that i choose sometimes like when I was on vacation.. I got something that i really wanted and made room for it in my MFP calories. If I want something so bad, I make room for it, but in the first month or two i did not have ice cream,, it would have made me crave more than i could comfortably fit.

What about pizza you say I was preaching about? I dont remember. I might sound preachy to you, but I try to word myself as being helpful.

You feel I am depriving myself. Well in a way I am, but I choose to say I lay it aside, out of choice, not deprivation,, totally different mindset. You and me do have different macros. You may be able to eat 500 calories more a day than me, because you are different, maybe you exercise more and can have an extra 500 calories a day. But you also deprive YOURself. You deprive yourself of watching tv when you are out exercising.. you deprive yourself when you dont eat more than your MFP macros. You deprive yourself of getting drunk when you choose not to drink alcohol, you deprive yourself of 6 women to have sex with when you want to stay true to your wife. But you do these things because the other options are BETTER.

so , yes i have come to peace about some foods, but i find a way to work them in, i still havn't had pizza in 2 months, and sometimes i get a taste for it, but it wouild make me go over my limited budgeted calories MFP gives me. But if i really wnated it, it would go for it, and then balance it out the rest of the next few days.

In the meantime I have lost almost 40 pounds in 3 months by what you call deprivation.. Seems to be working for me. If its not i will tweak it. but for now, i choose not to eat pizza, ice cream and tacos on a regular basis.

There you go with extreme comparisons like the usual agreement leads to.
    First, I watch plenty of tv. Have plenty of our shows on DVR. I train hard but that doesn't mean I'm in the gym 6 days a week for 2 hours. 3 day, 45 min is all I need.

I don't have sex with 6 different women at a time and cheat on my wife because that's just ignorant. That example is extremism.

I don't need to eat over my macros daily because I make it work. But don't get it twisted, if I go and eat stuff that throws my macros off, oh well, that's fine with me. What you won't find me doing is working out 3 extra hours or fasting the next day to make up for it.

I don't drink alcohol not because of the calories or macros. I don't drink because I don't enjoy it like when I was 20. I don't get pleasure out of it. But yes I will have a glass of wine if we go to the vineyards or having a party. So no I don't deprive myself because I don't want it.

You on the other hand want pizza. You taste for it. But you don't allow yourself to have it. That's deprivation. My diary has plenty of food from both sides 5hat you say are "healthy and unhealthy" so feel free to look. And I have to agree with a previous poster, all these people preaching yet their pages and diaries are private. Pfff.

Hi - my diary is not private, last time i looked. You might be suprised to see what i included lately.. it does include some ice cream Red Lobster, etc. But not the first month i did MFP. Those were off limits by my free will choice. Not deprivation.

I dont know why you insist Im being deprived. And pleasee remember i was making examples, which dont necessarily pertain to YOU, but just to make a point.

for me to be deprived, it would have to be someone demanding that I do not eat what i choose for breakfast, like if they said you MUST eat tofu and mushrooms, then i would feel deprived if i didn't enjoy my cereal or muffin in the morning, or deprivation to me would be if I had to ONLY eat salad every day for lunch. or if i was forced to eat soymilk products rather than yogurt.. THAT would be deprivation to me.

but im fine with limiting pizza to once a month or wheenver i really desire it, i will get a slice. Where i live there is my fave pizza place down the street, taco shack, Caribbean restaurant, Middle Eastern restaurant, Thai restauant, 2 diners, and Subway. So far i'm ok... i would like some all the time, but i will limit it to once a week, but make sure my macros fit around that splurge..

so no, dont accuse me of being deprived if i do not feel that way.. once i taste it, i will want more than my macros allow.. if i leave it aside, i dont stir up those cravings.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Time for the obligatory link to the Twinkie diet.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • mrmagee3
    Options

What appears to be obligatory is the moderation brigade railing against someone's perfectly safe personal choices, which she has explained respectfully and clearly.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    Peaches are disgusting.

Poptarts take this round by default.
    WRONG! Peaches are heaven. Try them with grilled with goat cheese and balsamic sauce drizzled on top. Amazing. How can that compare to a pop tart?

BTW, Is this the thread the other thread was b*tching about?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Peaches are disgusting.

WRONG! Peaches are heaven. Try them with grilled with goat cheese and balsamic sauce drizzled on top. Amazing. How can that compare to a pop tart?

No. Peaches are one of the worst things I've ever tasted. The texture is awful, the taste is awful, they even feel awful to the touch. I'd take a poptart any day, and I don't even like poptarts either.

And maybe.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Peaches are wonderful, I love the peaches, Peaches peeled with Vanilla Lo Fat Greek Yogurt plus some blueberries, yummy yummy
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I Say good for u. What works for one person doesnt necessarily work for others. I dont buy junk either except once in a while. My kids.tend to.eat more fruits.n.veggies If there is less junk in the.house. we do buy icecream and I make cookies once a month. You gotta.figure.out what works.for u.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have a semi clogged shower drain, I wonder if should take up on the OP's bright idea of pouring canned diet soda's down it , running a test so to speak, it could well turn out to be a less toxic alternative to clearing drain pipes as DRANO is heavy duty.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options

What appears to be obligatory is the moderation brigade railing against someone's perfectly safe personal choices, which she has explained respectfully and clearly.
    I'm not quite railing against him, whatever works. In my previous post (before the twinkie one) I simply offered a reminder that he needs to build a good relationship with food for higher chance of success.

Before I used MFP I rarely eat chips or drink soda, but I managed to gain a lot of weight just the same. Chips and soda are not the villain, the villain is my lack of control.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Peaches are disgusting.

No. Peaches are one of the worst things I've ever tasted. The texture is awful, the taste is awful, they even feel awful to the touch. I'd take a poptart any day, and I don't even like poptarts either.

And maybe.

you're a special snowflake aren't you

No, I'm pretty typical. I imagine there are lots of people who don't like the taste of peaches or would opt for poptarts over them. If people were sucking down peaches for snacks there'd be a lot less fat people around, right? Thus it stand to reason that in spite of that posters claim, lots of people, not just myself, wouldn't choose the peach.

I dare say being part of the norm and accepting that I'm part of the norm makes me very much not a snowflake. Unless you have an alternate definition
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    *sings* Goin' to the country, I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches...
  • Achrya
    Options
    Peaches are disgusting.

And maybe.

you're a special snowflake aren't you

No, I'm pretty typical. I imagine there are lots of people who don't like the taste of peaches or would opt for poptarts over them. If people were sucking down peaches for snacks there'd be a lot less fat people around, right? Thus it stand to reason that in spite of that posters claim, lots of people, not just myself, wouldn't choose the peach.

I dare say being part of the norm and accepting that I'm part of the norm makes me very much not a snowflake. Unless you have an alternate definition

Actually no, you missed my point. I never said anything about other people choosing the poptart over the peach, in fact, I quoted you about your distaste for peaches, which is not the norm - therefore special snowflake.

I'm sorry that you failed to grasp that :)

I addressed that I'm sure there are lots of people who don't like the taste of peaches. It's on the first line. It wasn't even in the middle of the paragraph or something. In fact the part about poptarts follows the part about other people not liking peaches. :huh:

And since you have no idea how many other people don't like peaches my statement stands.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    This thread reminds me how sad I am I haven't found a great peach this summer. I think the cool weather messed up the growing season.
  • mrmagee3
    Options

I'm not quite railing against him, whatever works. In my previous post (before the twinkie one) I simply offered a reminder that he needs to build a good relationship with food for higher chance of success.

Before I used MFP I rarely eat chips or drink soda, but I managed to gain a lot of weight just the same. Chips and soda are not the villain, the villain is my lack of control.

For starters, I used your post, but didn't mean to group you into those people. The posts of yours that I've seen are always respectful, so thank you for increasing the level of discourse.

I'm not certain necessarily that one needs to "build a relationship with food" in order to be successful. Food is fuel for our bodies. If people have problems overindulging in, for instance, ice cream -- removing ice cream from your diet is a pretty valid response. It doesn't mean they're demonizing ice cream -- it's just attempting to avoid indulging in self-sabotage with something you have problems moderating. Other people may not have those problems and not need to feel the same way.

The problem with the "lack of control" argument that you make is that you can make it for both moderation and complete restriction. If we both eat 3000 calories of chips a day, and you cut back to 1500 and I cut back to 0, instead choosing to eat 1500 calories of broccoli, both are examples of self control.

If you can eat 1500 calories of them easily and stop, that's the level of control that works for you. If I eat 1500 calories of chips and the result is that I find it very difficult to stop, and crave more chips, then eating no chips might be a better level of control for me. It's highly personal.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me how sad I am I haven't found a great peach this summer. I think the cool weather messed up the growing season.

I'm in Ontario, and we're having the best season for peaches I remember in a long time. They've been perfect. I'm always a little disappointed in a bad peach season, and a bad cherry season. The seasons are so short, I try to make the most of them.