We trashed the sodas, chips, cookies

Options

Replies

• Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Seriously? "Detox", "cleanse", a round-about reference to clean eating, food deprivation, and food "addiction" all in one post? This is like a winning card for MFP Troll BINGO.

I agree and I love your ticker! I <3 Gibbs!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    is this even a serious thread?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Seriously? "Detox", "cleanse", a round-about reference to clean eating, food deprivation, and food "addiction" all in one post? This is like a winning card for MFP Troll BINGO.

You'd think, but I still need "We're all different and yet here for the same reasons!" For my bingo. Bad card luck is bad.
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I agree and I love your ticker! I <3 Gibbs!

Thank you! NCIS is my new obsession. I always seem to get into things late in the game. ;)

And wow, congrats on your weight loss! That's amazing!
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options

You'd think, but I still need "We're all different and yet here for the same reasons!" For my bingo. Bad card luck is bad.

We're only 5 pages in. There's time yet!

Whoops. Make that 6 pages.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    is this even a serious thread?

I vote no...
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

Donating that junk to a food shelf is like allowing someone to use food stamps to buy junk to eat. Shame on all of you who think it is okay to shove junk food on to those who can't afford (or want to) eat healthy...I hope you are also the same ones who so gallantly donate $$$ for their medical bills.

Good luck OP and friend....

Have you ever reached a point in your life where your options were to go without feeding yourself and your child or eating canned, packaged, processed foods from a food pantry? It's obviously better to let someone go hungry than to donate chips, cookies, frozen dinners, etc. Besides, eventually if they don't eat long enough they'll just die and nobody will have to worry about food stamps or paying their medical bills.

When you can't afford to feed yourself or your family you will take what you can get until you can do it yourself.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    The next time someone chooses to "trash" food, please put appropriate postage and an address label on the box. There's a poor corgi in college who could use it *gives puppy dog eyes*
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Ah, the "clean food" honeymoon begins. Let's see how the first year of "clean food" marriage goes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    OP completely disgusts me. Throwing away food is reprehensible when there are people everywhere who are hungry.
  • noura80
    Options
    My lifestyle consists of 80 percent healthy and 20 treats.

As long as it is something you are ok with for life. That is all that matters.

Ditto
  • undrznith
    undrznith Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ermagersh... Way to slam someone trying to do right by him. Yikes! Where's the love and support yo? I don't keep any of that stuff in my house on a regular basis. Why? Because I will eat it all in one sitting. If I am out and it is in front of me during the day, it's no big deal and I can take it or leave it for the most part. In my house? I tend to eat when I get bored and will go for aaaaanything in the house. So I don't keep it. If I want some ice cream, I get a pint just for me. When it's gone it's gone. Is this deprivation? Nope. I keep ingredients to make cookies and such in the house but no cookies. If I want cookies I have to make them. I have to want them enough to put in the effort, plus then they are a lot healthier. I have been doing it this way for 2.5 years and am quite happy with it, and feel quite content and fulfilled in the eating department. We all do things the way it works best for us. Also, "trashing" doesn't necessarily have to be literal. I tell people I "trashed" all our stuff way back when. But what I really did was box it up and send it off to greener pastures. Done and done. Couldn't be happier :)

To the OP, congrats and good luck! I hope it helps you in meeting your goals :)
  • Achrya
    Options
    ermagersh... Way to slam someone trying to do right by him. Yikes! Where's the love and support yo? I don't keep any of that stuff in my house on a regular basis. Why? Because I will eat it all in one sitting. If I am out and it is in front of me during the day, it's no big deal and I can take it or leave it for the most part. In my house? I tend to eat when I get bored and will go for aaaaanything in the house. So I don't keep it. If I want some ice cream, I get a pint just for me. When it's gone it's gone. Is this deprivation? Nope. I keep ingredients to make cookies and such in the house but no cookies. If I want cookies I have to make them. I have to want them enough to put in the effort, plus then they are a lot healthier. I have been doing it this way for 2.5 years and am quite happy with it, and feel quite content and fulfilled in the eating department. We all do things the way it works best for us. Also, "trashing" doesn't necessarily have to be literal. I tell people I "trashed" all our stuff way back when. But what I really did was box it up and send it off to greener pastures. Done and done. Couldn't be happier :)

To the OP, congrats and good luck! I hope it helps you in meeting your goals :)

The OP literally trashed the food. I guess you missed the part about pouring 48 cans of soda down the drain and throwing as a perfectly good food, the OP's words, not mine. And then said they didn't donate because the food is trash and, apparently, donating it would be contrary to their new lifestyle.

Oh and 'Motivation and Support' is a few forums down. I don't know of a love section.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    *goes and digs around in the OP's trash*... What?? It's still closed... it's still good!!

1345421398386923_animate.gif

Adjacent to refuse, *is* refuse.

(Am I the only one who quotes Seinfeld more than I probably should?)
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I don't think the OP is going into deprivation mode, they have hired a nutritionist to do their meals , so common sense applies they will be eating a far healthier diet. Filling up on real good food that keeps them full.

My best guess is they made a correlation between eating junk food and the cravings that get set off within an hour or so after eating it. That is what leads to weight gain. It can be addictive, the need to eat junk which set off the craving then the need to eat more junk.

They appear to be doing better physically and emotionally by taking out of their diet the junk food , the sugar and caffeine and are smart enough not to leave it in the house. Out of sight out of mind.

They are getting positive feedback from their doctor , trainer and nutritionist for taking this step and validation that their old food choices were unhealthy.

Throwing out the old and what is not good in their life appears to be symbolic.

They obviously see a down side to those foods and don't want to inflict them on someone else. Hence what someone else considers to be perfectly good food which in this case has been clearly stated as diet sodas, chips, and cookies , the OP sees them as junk , a possible source of misery and better off in the trash. can ,

I wish them the best and say go for it. If they find more junk food in their home then they should just flush it down the toilet.

LOL The comment the OP made of dumping 48 cans of soda down the sink , it was cleaning his sink pipes
    as good as draino ... I just laughed , it was so funny.
  • undrznith
    undrznith Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did miss that! Mental reprogramming technique perhaps? Don't know. I'd have given it away but I am of the "to each their own" camp. If people want to burn wads of their own cash, live in a teepee in the middle of nowhere or attempt to subsist entirely from the energy of the sun that's their prerogative. It may not be the noble thing to do but it was their food that they purchased with their money and they can do what they want with it. If someone wins the lottery and decides to cash it all in and torch it when they could have donated, or spend it all on ridiculous useless crap would you lambast them for it? If they instead decided to totally binge on it over the weekend to get rid of it instead would that be equally as wasteful and disgusting? Some would think so. It's not like they went into a food pantry and stole all the stuff they deemed junky and tossed it out.
  • Achrya
    Options
    I did miss that! Mental reprogramming technique perhaps? Don't know. I'd have given it away but I am of the "to each their own" camp. If people want to burn wads of their own cash, live in a teepee in the middle of nowhere or attempt to subsist entirely from the energy of the sun that's their prerogative. It may not be the noble thing to do but it was their food that they purchased with their money and they can do what they want with it. If someone wins the lottery and decides to cash it all in and torch it when they could have donated, or spend it all on ridiculous useless crap would you lambast them for it? If they instead decided to totally binge on it over the weekend to get of it instead would that be equally as wasteful disgusting? Some would think so. It's not like they went into a food pantry and stole all the stuff they deemed junky and tossed it out.

Yes I would lambasted them.

No it wouldn't be wasteful; how could consuming the food be wasteful? That's fairly contrary to the idea of waste.

The OP can eat what they want and throw out all the food they want, and I can think it's pointless and wasteful all I want.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The catch-phrases dropped into his/her posts make me think OP has been brainwashed by the diet industry. Junk food junkies? Manipulated chemicals?

OP, if you're going to spend the money, you'd be better to go to a dietitian than a nutritionist. At least the dietitian has qualifications, I get the impression that the nutritionist has used scaremongering tactics. Hence the shamefully wasteful 'trashing' of all that food.

** I am NOT one of those 'eat all the poptarts ever' people. Poptarts are gross. And I do think what you eat makes as much of a difference as how much you eat. But this is not a reasonable or healthy way of going about making a change.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I didn't have an issue with OP not donating until OP said it was a deliberate choice not to donate. (Obviously the opened foods can't be donated.) I still think OP's heart was in the right place but misguided him/her.

There are medical bills for people who are starving. There are court costs for people who resort to stealing to feed their families. There are medical bills for people who have to resort to food that is already opened and thrown away and get food poisoning.

Again, one or two people's worth of junk food (sorry food shaming) isn't going to skyrocket these medical bills. And I'm happy to have my tax $ go to people who can't afford their own food, much less medical care, since you asked.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    So you basically turned it into a house of deprivation. I will think of you as I enjoy my Ben & Jerry's tonight.

No, giving up various foods is not deprivation.. its called making a choice to eat more nutritious food. Its all attitude.. if a person wants to feel deprived they will think that way.

I dont eat that and i do not feel deprived. I feel liberated from food that was not as good for me as other choices. I have a budget of nutrients to eat, and I shall eat the best food possible for the calories and nutrients allotted for me.

QFT!!!! :drinker:

I have never thought of this lifestyle as deprivation. For every food I gave up, I introduced two other better ones in their place.
    Giving anything up is deprivation. I've introduced thousands of ingredients to my rotation of foods. I've never eliminated one. Well, the ones I don't like. But I've never "given something up," just to replace it with something "healthier" as that's a false concept. Health is a matter of total diet, not any individual food. Ice cream and poptarts fit just as well into a healthy diet as carrots and apples do. Soda can fit into a healthy diet just as easily as water.

Not wanting to eat a food isn't deprivation or failure. Not eating a food because "I can't, I'm trying to lose weight and get healthy," is deprivation and leads to failure.

I respectfully disagree with you. it is better for your body to replace a food that is "junk" to something that has vitamins, minerals and less calories. (i.e. Ice cream cake vs spinach). No, ice cream and poptarts are not for everyone - a plate of poptarts and ice cream is not better for your body than a plate of spinach, salad and fresh peach. No, soda cannot fit into a healthy diet IF that person deems water or fruit juice is better for their body than soda.

You may be able to work those treats in to your diet, but if someone has 1600 calories a day, then they need to budget those calories to get the best bang for the buck.. a person "could" eat a plate of Popeyes Chicken dinner, but then they would be using up too many precioius calories and not enough nutrients to make it worth it.

Someone who is jump starting their weight loss plan who chooses to go cold turkey is doing the right thing for them. sometimes we need to liberate ourselves from what that stuff does to our cravings for them. of course a person needs to find a way to diet to make it a lifestyle for the rest of their life - this is what prevents deprivation. maybe they can work it back in later. but i do not discourage going cold turkey.. its like boot camp before you go into the army.