We trashed the sodas, chips, cookies

Options

Replies

• NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If it was perfectly good food we would not have thrown it out. I didn't send it to the food bank.
    We don't send ciqarettes to the food bank.

If we choose to donate we want to make sure we are keeping our principals up., now that we are becoming educated on food. I want to make sure that the food bank is getting the same good quality that we are eating. not products that we are putting in our garden waste. The only good thing is that it is biodegradable.

I know I sound excited but I am so stoked with this new energy |i have got from eating well. and the new lifestyle we have got going for ourselves.
    If you think throwing out a bunch if perfectly good food, and a lot of false garbage about chemical manipulation and addiction makes you "educated" about food, you need quite a bit more education. The chemicals in diet soda are mostly essential nutrients your body needs, aspartame is just protein, aspartic acid and phenylalanine, most of the preservatives are various types of minerals like potassium, phosphorus, and sodium (all are essential minerals,) etc.

The only thing you did was pour a bunch of wasted money down the drain and out to the trash. Not a single food you threw out was bad for you. Eating too much of any of those foods is bad, but then, drinking too much water is also bad for you, and to be fair, belt eating too much pure oxygen is bad for you also.

So, based on your logic, you may as well hold your breath and stop drinking water, also.

I respectfully disagree with you. Some people are food addicts and this is what we do to start on a healthy eating plan. We choose to give that food up, and I do not think it is appropriate to discourage the OP from his path. I understand not demonizing food , thats not what he is doing. however, food addicts need to do this and learn to choose food more nutritious.
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how harsh you guys are being on the OP. I did the exact same thing when I started my new lifestyle three YEARS ago.

I do eat that stuff every now and then at parties and such, but I do not keep it in the house. What used to be soda is now bottled water, and what used to be chips are now fresh grapes and apples. I don't drink real sugar soda period, and I don't miss it.

Obviously I've kept the weight off, and I don't regret this decision one bit.

I think it comes from the 'we threw away the food because it's full of chemicals and we didn't want anyone else to eat chemicals either' thing. There are people in need who would be brought to tears by the sight of ANY food being thrown away because the OP thought it wasn't good enough. Don't want it in your house? That's fine, but edible food shouldn't be wasted because of your diet choices. There is someone always in need of a helping hand and I'm pretty sure a packet of chips would make their day.

^
    I don't mind the choices of the op but I agree with things could have been giving away to others.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    So you basically turned it into a house of deprivation. I will think of you as I enjoy my Ben & Jerry's tonight.

No, giving up various foods is not deprivation.. its called making a choice to eat more nutritious food. Its all attitude.. if a person wants to feel deprived they will think that way.

I dont eat that and i do not feel deprived. I feel liberated from food that was not as good for me as other choices. I have a budget of nutrients to eat, and I shall eat the best food possible for the calories and nutrients allotted for me.

QFT!!!! :drinker:

I have never thought of this lifestyle as deprivation. For every food I gave up, I introduced two other better ones in their place.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why people are being so harsh on you. 75% of my weight loss battle is fought in the grocery store. I can't bring that stuff home or I *will* eat it, and I'll most likely overeat it. I don't deprive myself every day, but a year and a half and almost 70 pounds in, I still have problems with NOT finishing the bag, sleeve, or container I opened.

I'm sure that the OP and friend will eventually allow themselves controlled portions of "junk food" now and again so they don't have a total relapse. And during this "cold turkey" phase, they are learning what healthier, lower-calorie foods to substitute with so they can make better choices for the lifestyle change.

Thumbs up to you guys!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Why would you discourage the OP? He (I'm going to guess it's a man) is doing well on this program, so let him be. It's not like he is eating such a small amount of food that it's dangerous for him - he has just identified his problem foods. I expect his choices will change over time.

Many of us have foods where we can't exercise portion control, and it takes a little time to work it out. We've all gone down the road of figuring out what's best for us. Why make it so hard for him?

For those who think the food should have been donated, if it was already opened food banks wouldn't accept it anyway. He's doing just fine.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hum. I don't do this every day, but I'm in for 2 ice cream sandwiches, 2 beers, and a Klondike bar so far today, and I plan for more tasty stuff and probably a martini or two Hum . . . maybe some fried chicken. I mean, FFS, it is a holiday weekend. If you have to deprive yourself, then you have to deprive yourself, to each his own I guess. Good luck, OP.

its not depriving, its choosing other food choices.

A person has an allotted amount of nutrients needed each day. If someone wants to choose those other foods over the ice cream then there is nothing wrong with that. I would never eat your fried chicken and beer and a klondike bar in a day, maybe sometime i will, but your food choices may not be right for him.

I think it is wrong for someone to say someone else's choice are depriving and this is something wrong, when on the other hand you are suggesting/promoting that your diet is a good one.. well, unfortunately your diet choices are not right for everyone and i think its up to the OP to choose. So what im saying is, you criticize him for depriving himself while on the other hand encouraging him to continue to eat food that may harm his goals. (implying that you can eat fried chicken, beers, ice cream is a type of subltle suggestion that he should eat it too.. thats just not right or fair or appropriate.

Depriving is different than choosing.
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Whatever works! Some people can have that stuff around and some can't. I avoided it as well as I could for a few weeks myself but in the end I had to just learn to say no because I can't control what my coworkers bring in, whats served at parties, etc. I don;t think banishing stuff from your house is the wrong approach. We all use whatever little tricks work for us and maybe OP just doesn't want to eat that stuff anymore.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Sad post. Be careful not to fall into the restrict/binge cycles some people get themselves into.
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Haha awesome job. I did the same years ago. Feels great because over time you get used to eating good food and having it around.

Reminds me of what I read a while ago:

"To this day when I walk down the snack aisle at the supermarket, I recite from the 23rd Psalm: “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.” This is not melodrama; death stalks you through potato chips, carrot cake and all the other alleged treats leading to obesity, diabetes, Alzheimer’s and a dismal final decade of life. I ignore the chorus of well-intentioned people but, from my view, fat enablers: “You are getting too thin;” “You will have no reserves if you become ill;” and “One little candy, slice of cake, chip, etc. won’t kill you.”"

Hardcore, but gotta respect the discipline!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/fitness/how-i-lost-55-pounds-fear-of-dementia/article13400662/
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hum. I don't do this every day, but I'm in for 2 ice cream sandwiches, 2 beers, and a Klondike bar so far today, and I plan for more tasty stuff and probably a martini or two Hum . . . maybe some fried chicken. I mean, FFS, it is a holiday weekend. If you have to deprive yourself, then you have to deprive yourself, to each his own I guess. Good luck, OP.

Ironically there are people who think the opposite - that by consuming 2 ice cream sandwiches, beers and fried chicken, you are depriving yourself off eating healthy foods....:)
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

its not depriving, its choosing other food choices.

A person has an allotted amount of nutrients needed each day. If someone wants to choose those other foods over the ice cream then there is nothing wrong with that. I would never eat your fried chicken and beer and a klondike bar in a day, maybe sometime i will, but your food choices may not be right for him.

I think it is wrong for someone to say someone else's choice are depriving and this is something wrong, when on the other hand you are suggesting/promoting that your diet is a good one.. well, unfortunately your diet choices are not right for everyone and i think its up to the OP to choose. So what im saying is, you criticize him for depriving himself while on the other hand encouraging him to continue to eat food that may harm his goals. (implying that you can eat fried chicken, beers, ice cream is a type of subltle suggestion that he should eat it too.. thats just not right or fair or appropriate.

Depriving is different than choosing.

I agree. The "if you don't eat pop tarts you're doing it wrong" mafia is rampant around here lately.

OP, congrats on taking this first step and best of luck in reaching your goals.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

Ironically there are people who think the opposite - that by consuming 2 ice cream sandwiches, beers and fried chicken, you are depriving yourself off eating healthy foods....:)

He said "I don't do this every day"......So I imagine that, well, he doesn't eat like that every day?:ohwell:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I agree. The "if you don't eat pop tarts you're doing it wrong" mafia is rampant around here lately.

It's not about that. It's not "eat like I do or you're doing it wrong."

The problem is people outright denying themselves foods they love to eat. It's not just sad, though it is very sad. It often leads directly to total failure.
  • HeinekenMan
    HeinekenMan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    we can't do that we are junk food junkees,
    my buddy is an ex smokers, smokers do not smoke in moderation. they do not smoke one a day. Junk food junkees need to purge.

Hey the junk food is addicive, manipulated and full of chemicals , bad chemicals just like those old ciqarettes.

I am an ex-smoker, too. This morning, I had a handful of corn chips before breakfast. Tonight, I had butter pecan frozen yogurt in a sugar cone. I stayed under my calorie goal. I'll wake up about 1/3 pound lighter in the morning.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options

It's not about that. It's not "eat like I do or you're doing it wrong."

The problem is people outright denying themselves foods they love to eat. It's not just sad, though it is very sad. It often leads directly to total failure.

I get that part - I'm a big fan of moderation myself, but clearing this stuff out of the house makes it easier for me so that when an occasion does pop up where I'm more tempted by it, I can have it and it's allotted into my week.

Pop tarts, potato chips and the like are packed with WAY more calories per bite than other foods, and personally I find them less satisfying. Why bother with something you don't want?

Personally, I really enjoy my lima beans and peas doused with parmesan cheese far more than that crap anyway.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Why bother with something you don't want?

You shouldn't bother with anything you don't want.

Though I suspect that the OP does indeed want all the foods (s)he just threw out. That's why (s)he bought them in the first place ;)
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    So you basically turned it into a house of deprivation. I will think of you as I enjoy my Ben & Jerry's tonight.

No, giving up various foods is not deprivation.. its called making a choice to eat more nutritious food. Its all attitude.. if a person wants to feel deprived they will think that way.

I dont eat that and i do not feel deprived. I feel liberated from food that was not as good for me as other choices. I have a budget of nutrients to eat, and I shall eat the best food possible for the calories and nutrients allotted for me.

I think you're just upset that I am able to say "I'm having 1 serving of ice cream tonight", and I can actually do that. I've quoted your posts in the past and will say it again, you do deprive yourself. Just like the other day where you were preaching about pizza. You think the people who fit ice cream and pop tarts and what not just eat that stuff all day long? Come on now. Also remember, my caloric and macro needs are much different than yours as we live 2 totally different lifestyles.

No will power = throwing cookies in the trash so they don't pig out on them. I have kinds of different ice cream in the freezer, 4 kinds of pop tarts and 4 different kids cereals in the kitchen. I don't sit there and binge on it because I know there's always tomorrow or next week.

Oh come on. Making changes to your household/refrigerator to make things easier for you? How can you criticize that? Good for you that you want to keep pop tarts at home - that's fine. However, not everybody can or wants to do that.

As long as you have food at home and haven't cleaned out your fridge completely, then what is the problem?
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Why bother with something you don't want?

You shouldn't bother with anything you don't want.

Though I suspect that the OP does indeed want all the foods (s)he just threw out. That's why (s)he bought them in the first place ;)

So what? What's the problem with making this lifestyle change easier on yourself? Why does this have to be difficult?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

QFT!!!! :drinker:

I have never thought of this lifestyle as deprivation. For every food I gave up, I introduced two other better ones in their place.
    Exactly!
    I am not "deprived". I eat what I WANT. What I want has changed.
    The replies to this thread are surreal.
    You want the pop tarts, eat them.
    You can't live without them, don't.
    Don't assume everyone is like you.
    Don't assume everyone is going to approach weight loss and MAINTENANCE the same way you will.