settings~2lb per week weight loss

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Go back into your settings and change it to 1 lb a week, a more realistic goal for you.
    2 lbs is very realistic for me. Not sure why you think it's not.

because you don't have more than 75 lbs to lose.
    I wasn't aware anyone could see my current weight! Maybe it's ESP...Hmm....

And this is where it took the nose dive...

In all honesty 2lb of weight a week is not reasonable unless you have over 75lbs to go. If that is the case change your settings to the correct ones and MFP will give you exactly what you want.

or

If you in fact don't have over 75lbs of extra weight then let MFP set the goals based on their method and live with it.

or

Choose a site that allows you to track anyway you want without taking your health into account.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    boythatesculatedquickly_zps07e2b0ea.gif
    Beat me to it.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I will agree that there are a lot of people on this site who like to criticize others for "stupid questions". I remember having a wonderful teacher in school who said "There are no stupid questions, but only stupid answers".

Some new people here need a little extra clarification--myself included and this is normal and completely ok.

The OP is not a "new people" and has posted in other threads in the forums. The OP seems to have a lack of a basic understanding of math. If you don't want to go below eating 1200 calories and yet that only gives you a projected weight loss of 1.4 lbs/week (which is just a pipe dream based on estimates, not a guarantee) then how exactly would you expect someone would give you any advice on how to create something out of nothing?
    [/quote/
    In 2 days, I will have been a member for 1 month. So yes, I am new and still trying to understand some things on this site. I follow the 1200...and so far can lose 2lb a week..ALL I was asking was why MFP offered that, but didn't show up in my goals. I am pretty good at basic math by the way. Maybe you have a lack of reading and comprehension??

Okay now I'm confused why does it say join jan 2013' if you just been joined for 1 montj
    set up an account in Jan....never looked at it till 8/5/13...When I started.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    I will agree that there are a lot of people on this site who like to criticize others for "stupid questions". I remember having a wonderful teacher in school who said "There are no stupid questions, but only stupid answers".

Some new people here need a little extra clarification--myself included and this is normal and completely ok.

The OP is not a "new people" and has posted in other threads in the forums. The OP seems to have a lack of a basic understanding of math. If you don't want to go below eating 1200 calories and yet that only gives you a projected weight loss of 1.4 lbs/week (which is just a pipe dream based on estimates, not a guarantee) then how exactly would you expect someone would give you any advice on how to create something out of nothing?
    [/quote/
    In 2 days, I will have been a member for 1 month. So yes, I am new and still trying to understand some things on this site. I follow the 1200...and so far can lose 2lb a week..ALL I was asking was why MFP offered that, but didn't show up in my goals. I am pretty good at basic math by the way. Maybe you have a lack of reading and comprehension??

Okay now I'm confused why does it say join jan 2013' if you just been joined for 1 montj
    set up an account in Jan....never looked at it till 8/5/13...When I started.

yeah. There are a few false starts here.

Let's start over :smile:

How much weight are you trying to lose, ma'am? It would help us to answer your doggone question.

edit because soooooomeone messed up the quote boxes.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP you got great advice!! You didn't gain this weight over night, your not going to lose it over night!! I have feeling you will be back asking why you are gaining or can't lose weight anymore, I see it all the time with 1200's and under.

Me, I am doing slow and steady. I have been at this for almost 19 months. (see ticker below) :bigsmile:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    this post is f'in great
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Uuuuuuuh...
    tumblr_m7k59i7Ryd1rwcc6bo1_250.gif
  • Minks_esposa
    Options
    I HATE bullies and I'm usually the one to join the lone wolf in fighting off the attackers but dang OP! You (OP) came across as very rude to people who were legitimately trying to help you and offer advice. You said the picture wasn't current and then went on to saying that your ticker wasn't representative of your goals. I'm not sure how you expect for people to be able to help you when you're not being upfront and truthful about how many pounds exactly you have to lose. It honestly comes off as you wanting to start drama and pick a fight for some unknown reason. Two pounds of weight loss a week is very aggressive for anyone who is wanting to lose weight and the less you have to lose the more unrealistic that goal will become. If you think you can do it then go for it but like the others tried to point out to you, it's probably too aggressive for a person who doesn't have that much to lose.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says 10 pounds lost with a goal of 56.

It does not say goal..I have it set so no one can see my weight at any point. It just shows how many lbs lost.The ticker doesn't know if I have 10, 50, or 100 lbs to lose.....It just shows progress.

This is your ticker:

35919878.png

Clearly states 10lbs lost with a goal of 56. Good grief.
    CLEARLY does not say goal!!! When I lose 56, the ticker will show more to lose!! Why is everyone so nasty here? It gives MFP a bad rap! :grumble:

The current goal you have set up is to lose 56lbs- which is why it's at the end of your ticker.

In other words, the number at the end of the ticker is the *current* goal you've set. That may not be your ending goal (ie; you may want to lose MORE than 56lbs) but that's not what's showing up currently. Additionally, it will NOT show more to lose unless you manually update your goal.

No one is being nasty- we're trying to explain how the ticker works, and you are choosing to fight us on it.

Looks like you quoted me before I posted my edit on my previous post. I also added this:

"ETA: If you want accurate advice when you post these types of threads, providing detailed information is necessary, so it's actually a *good* thing that your ticker shows you have ~46lbs to go (it would actually be helpful to know your actual weight, height, activity level, etc too). I would also agree that 2lbs/week is overly ambitious. Can it be done? Sure. But there's a good chance you're going to be very unhappy in the process, because you will not be feeding your body enough."

Edited for typo.

My tickler shows the goal weight I put it sooooooooooooo means I have to lose 93lbs to get there..but I agree I have a little over 75lbs to lose and I have my setting at 1.5lbs a week. Im not trying to deprive, get to a plateau or gain it all back as previous years. Enjoy the journey! Good Luck though!!
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Simplest answer: you don't burn enough calories from "normal daily activity" for a 1,000 calorie deficit to result in a calorie goal greater than or equal to 1,200 calories.

Possible solutions:

* Modify how you use MFP and use the TDEE-X% method if your exercise routine is regular so your exercise calories are included. For most people, though, TDEE-X% will give a smaller deficit than MFP.

* Increase your activity level (e.g. spend most of the day on your feet). May require a job change.

* Depending on the math (you don't disclose enough information for anyone to do the calculations of what would be considered safe) only eat back a certain percentage of exercise calories and/or eat back all exercise calories above x exercise calories (weight loss will vary based on amount of exercise, and doing the former might result in not eating enough if you do too much exercise).
  • imadiva32
    imadiva32 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You know your body more than any of us so it doesn't matter if anyone says you can't or you shouldn't. MFP does request that we eat at least 1200 calories per day but their isn't a limit on your exercise. Simply put, you can do your 1200 calories but exercise more to get to your goal of 2lbs/week.

I ate my required calories of 1270 per day and worked out twice per day and burned about 1,000 per day. At the end of the week, i lost over 2lbs.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You know your body more than any of us so it doesn't matter if anyone says you can't or you shouldn't. MFP does request that we eat at least 1200 calories per day but their isn't a limit on your exercise. Simply put, you can do your 1200 calories but exercise more to get to your goal of 2lbs/week.

I ate my required calories of 1270 per day and worked out twice per day and burned about 1,000 per day. At the end of the week, i lost over 2lbs.

So basically your eating 270 calories a day!!! :noway:

Good luck on your weight loss!!! :ohwell:
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options

You're doing it wrong, please read the stickies in the newbie forums and understand why you are starving yourself.

This isn't "okay". This is something people do when they suffer from exercise bulimia and it kills.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Grab a Snickers....because you tend to get a little grumpy when you are food deprived!

In for the "snickers" :laugh:

Seriously, OP, I don't like bullies either. Several of the responders are people who know what they are talking about and are always helpful. You got on the defensive first which put their backs up. :huh: People are still allowed to defend themselves, right?

Good luck with whatever your goals are!!
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

That is quite concerning. Even if you somehow manage to continue losing at that pace, I'd be willing to bet it'll come back as rebound weight once you start fueling your body properly. I hope you take the advice given to you into consideration and either start working out less, or eating more. Best of luck to you.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    OP, I got to my goal weight a while back and started maintaining. I stopped logging for a while and gained a few pounds back, so I came back on here to log again. I set my goal at 1 lb per week weight loss with only about 3 pounds to lose and it put me at 1200 calories for a projected loss of .7 lb per week. This did not surprise me since I had so little to lose. I hope you will consider some of the good advice here and I also agree with those that say if you did not give MFP accurate information about your goal you should consider fixing that. Good luck on your journey! :smile:
  • pjacademy
    Options
    I can only tell you from my own experience. I am 5'8. 179 pounds I NET 1800 calories a day. And last week lost 3.5.

MFP is not god....your body will do what it needs to do if you feed it properly :)
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

I rather liked the version of that that Ricky Gervais came up with, for the Office: 'There are no stupid questions: only stupid people'. ;-)

I need to add, btw... most people on the forum are fab: supportive, knowledgeable, helpful. You'll soon get to know the ones who aren't.

You definitely will. For instance, some people come into a thread white knighting and don't give the OP any advice on the original topic they posted on whatsoever.

^^ Yep. And said white knight seems confused about what OP said versus what was said to her. The one who started throwing out insults about intelligence and reading comprehension skills first was the OP. This was done when she clearly didn't understand that the people she was insulting were, in fact, correct and had a better understanding of what was going on with her settings than she did. Hilarity ensued.

OP: 1.4 lbs a week is reasonable, don't try to game the system because you are being impatient. Eat your calories, do some exercise, eat those calories, and settle in for the long haul. Chill. And stop pretending to be the smartest one in the room when you ask for help, it's generally off-putting to those who are trying to assist you.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    In for the "they can do it on tv" post.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    IN for the *kitten* show.