Replies

43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Can we share some pop tarts. :)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    It's kind of funny because in this string, I think I can identify the two camps: the supportive people and the snarky condescending people. Too bad the latter don't seem to recognize themselves. It would be nice if they kept to their own forum.

Thank you, OP, for your great post.

What makes you think they don't recognize themselves? Snarky and condescending isn't the same as being the MFP police, is it?

I for one found her post telling people to keep their own forum a little snarky and condescending myself. I don't think she realized it though.

And yea, what makes you think I don't realize I'm snarky and condescending?

Word. That cold, knowing gaze over that fro-yo lipstick. Snark city.

Honestly Cadori, this profile pic is magic or something. I've gotten like 20 requests since I put it up, and my shirt is on. I don't know what happens when I reach my goal and break the six pack out and take a picture with ice cream slathered everywhere, I might crash the internet.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I would also like to confess that I hate weight lifting, never eat enough protein and sometimes run an extra mile so I can eat more cake! :laugh:
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I keep a pretty accurate log, but I think whatever works for each individual should be what that person should do. And trial and error is a big part of that. I don't believe there is a magic 1200 number that works for a 5'0" woman weighing 140 lbs and a 6'3" man weighing 350 lbs with a 30 year age gap. Everyone is unique and each plan should be as well. Kudos to OP for figuring out what works for her.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    My thoughts EXACTLY. Possibly my favourite post ever.

I have wish I was so easily amused.

to be fair, the person that said that has 7 total posts in over 2 years. it's within the realm of possibility that this is 3rd, maybe 4th post she's seen, ever. the other two were probably date/rate/marry threads.

Touche. I hadn't thought of it that way.

to be fair, the person *who said that has 10,242 posts in less than 19 months. it's within the realm of possibility that 10,241, 10,240 and 10,239 were as irrelevant to the OP topic as the other 10,238.

I'm honestly not even sure what you're trying to say.

Some kinda weird dig about Dav's posting? I just...no clue at all.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Confession: I secretly believe that daily yoga is sufficient to maintain muscle mass and actually increase strength instead of weightlifting.

There - I said it :happy:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Confession: I secretly believe that daily yoga is sufficient to maintain muscle mass and actually increase strength instead of weightlifting.

morning humor is always appreciated
  • kimgatorgirl
    Options
    Awesome Post!!! Dont think anyone could have said it better!
  • yogicarl
    Options

Always willing to oblige and you're welcome to drop in to our morning yoga class any time - if you think you could hack it.
  • BeachIron
    Options

Always willing to oblige and you're welcome to drop in to our morning yoga class any time - if you think you could hack it.

I'd be willing to do it (I have, and have IRL friends and family members who teach it and have done so for decades), but on one condition - you come squat and deadlift with me. Deal?

I'm not knocking yoga at all, but it trains something quite different than pure strength, and you really should feel the rush of pulling 400+ pounds off the ground.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    @ BeachIron. I'm totally with you. I have been a weightlifter - in my twenties/thirties and can recall the rush of deadlifting what was twice my bodyweight at the time; 320lbs. 400lbs was nearer my squat. Bench press was my weak point; I recall being around the 200lb mark. I have always been stronger in the lower back and legs than in my upper sections.

Then I saw someone holding Peacock Pose in a yoga class I went along to with a girlfriend at the time and was blown away. As strong as I was, I couldn't get near the pose. It wasn't about strength, or even balance or flexibility. It was a harmony of everything working together.

I don't knock weightlifting (only in jest) - it's a blast and I've got some good memories, but I have settled with yoga because I get the best rush and the best afterglow from a session of yoga.

I guess that's what this thread is generally trying to say - all approaches are valid and can work together towards that ultimate goal of reduced fat, improved physique and general well-being. It's all good.

BeachIron - where are you? I would seriously consider working some squats and deadlifts with you.
  • rdcphone572
    rdcphone572 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like the Original Poster's statement...nicely said. Applause. :flowerforyou:

Folks often first come here because they need help getting fitter, not because they know how already...yep that's on point.

Also, just to note, someone pointed out the Ignore this Person feature the other day. I had not noticed it before. I started using it for the bully people and snarks. It's very cool since it allows me to just see posts from helpful folks (or at least the ones that I view as helping others...its all about perception really). It has made a difference in my enjoyment of the general community postings.

Wishing everyone a fitter life! See you lighter!
  • BeachIron
    Options
    @ BeachIron. I'm totally with you. I have been a weightlifter - in my twenties/thirties and can recall the rush of deadlifting what was twice my bodyweight at the time; 320lbs. 400lbs was nearer my squat. Bench press was my weak point; I recall being around the 200lb mark. I have always been stronger in the lower back and legs than in my upper sections.

Then I saw someone holding Peacock Pose in a yoga class I went along to with a girlfriend at the time and was blown away. As strong as I was, I couldn't get near the pose. It wasn't about strength, or even balance or flexibility. It was a harmony of everything working together.

I don't knock weightlifting (only in jest) - it's a blast and I've got some good memories, but I have settled with yoga because I get the best rush and the best afterglow from a session of yoga.

I guess that's what this thread is generally trying to say - all approaches are valid and can work together towards that ultimate goal of reduced fat, improved physique and general well-being. It's all good.

BeachIron - where are you? I would seriously consider working some squats and deadlifts with you.

I'm actually with you on this, though you get what you train for, and I'd pull back before saying that "all approaches are valid" because I regularly see some things on here that make me cringe. That said, finding what works for each of us is absolutely key to individual success. It's why I get yoga and crossfit, for examples, and I also watch these parkour guys doing some jaw droppingly amazing things. And there is a guy in his 50s in my gym who can hold a flag. Our bodies adapt to how we train, and yes, I love a good natured p[ssing contest. lol

I'm in Florida. How about you?
  • pjacademy
    Options
    Sometimes I eat chocolate WHILE I exercise :)

I think I love you for this post!! :heart:

Oh I want to add my confession -

I wait until the end of the day when I know I'm not going to eat anything else - then I work out how many squares of chocolate I could eat with the remaining calories I have left and sometimes .... just sometimes, I eat that chocolate goddammit! :happy:
  • carofenice1
    Options
    Excellent post. Glad there are some other perfectly "imperfect" people in here with me too ;)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The only time I see people get 'beat up' over any of these is when they say "I'm doing everything right, but I'm not losing" and it's immediately apparent that they aren't doing 'everything right' at all.

If the less accurate method works for you, have at it, I say.

But if you stop losing at any point (which I hope you don't), at least you know the behavior to reassess.
  • Soulpaint
    Soulpaint Posts: 33 Member
    Options

The point I am trying to make is why beat people up all of the time? Why talk badly about people and give negative feedback because you know something that they don't? Why not just be supportive or ignore? People are going to use supplements and not eat enough calories and not log everything. This site is supposed to be supportive, helpful and educational. Not full of a bunch of bullies. Haha I lost a 100 pounds and you are having trouble so let me be mean. Really? I know my ticker shows that I started this overweight. I am pretty sure most everyone else's does too.

Congrats you lost weight. I lost 36 pounds. I am not better than anyone else. I am just a fat girl living in a skinny world right now. And I would really love a jelly donut. Or some pop tarts.

THE BEST POST I'VE SEEN SO FAR ON THE MFP!

Thank you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

+1 This is without a doubt the best post I have seen on MFP.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    @ BeachIron. Florida eh? wow - lucky man! I can't complain, I am in Cornwall UK. A bit far to drop into your gym, but the gesture was sincere.

I do see what you mean about not all approaches you read about on MFP being valid - should have said all realistic approaches. I've read some wishful thinking approaches myself!

The body I built while powerlifting would not serve me well for the yoga I enjoy today. Both demand strength and connectivity but in very different ways but I do think there is more that unites weightlifting, yoga, calisthenics, Parkour, etc than sets them apart.

I would even go as far as to say yoga in itself is incomplete as it lacks movements that challenge the pulling side of the muscles so, while I find yoga serves me well for chest and triceps and overall core connectivity, I still work on inverted rows and the pull-up bar to work the pulling muscles. I really enjoy watching good bar callisthenics and that is a long term goal for me once I've gained a better strength:weight ratio.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Jennifer - hi -

I am exactly like you except for #9 poptarts. coz i dont care for them.

Its nice to see someone who I am just like them and they have good success.

I dont log in every tidbit like a sip of milk or something with no calories like a salad unless i want to record that i did eat some greens that day.

so far its been ok for me.

oh i forgot to see, i know some people tend to be like the food police, but i dont get that much, even in my topics i start. If i see a comment where someone is giving it to me harshly, i try to overlook that and see if what they said was true. we cant see emotions or faces when we read what they wrote. i tend to beleive people mean well for the most part. sometimes the harshest critics may be exactly what i need to hear.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Confession: I send blank FR's to see if people really will decline them.... They do :frown:

What is a blank Friend request? and why do you think they are not a good friend request?