A confession to the MFP Police

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's not the help that most resent...it's their tone. I've been called stupid more here in the last two days than ever in my life. Starting to wonder how I ever became valedictorian of my class.
    I remember a specific thread you were in and no one called you stupid, but they did question your attitude about something based on an urban legend someone copied and pasted from Facebook that you were using as the basis for your own argument.

An urban legend that's been debunked a thousand times and has no scientific backing whatsoever.

So ... You're probably not stupid, but you may need to work on critical thinking skills. That is not people here being mean or "the MFP police."

And, put the way that you just did, I may have listened much sooner. I have never claimed to be an expert in any way on that topic. Also, I do not know the credible sites to go look for on that particular subject. Nor, do I have the time to look for them.

It was the tone that everyone was using towards the poster and the subsequent people that dared to post on that subject that got my hackles up. People with knowledge do not have to be rude to get their points across. Or, use sarcasm to cut people down. If they are trying to be helpful...be helpful without the attitudes.

Well, first of all, long before you started posting in that thread, several people pointed out that it was an OLD urban legend that had been around for many years and was not true. So it had been said several times already.

And if you don't know about the subject, why were you so insistent that it *could* be true when so many people were giving credible evidence, pointing to studies and making logical arguments against it? Were we supposed to just let something stand as fact that was a lie?

It seems like your issue is you felt stupid because you tried to make an argument about something you admittedly knew nothing about. My advice is don't post in a thread about a subject you don't know about.

*gasp*

Bully!

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm the "friend" to whom the OP referred in her "I deleted a 'friend'" post, so guilty as charged?

I do complain on my wall because it's better than saying those things in people's threads. I have little patience for a complete lack of common sense. Call it a character flaw. I own it.

If anyone else wants to delete me, feel free 'cause I ain't changin'. I grew up on Monty Python, Fawlty Towers and Firesign Theatre. Sarcasm is second nature.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Since we are all on this "journey" together, before you go juding people and calling them out for not being educated, remember you were uneducated about all of this once too. That's why you are here.

Haven't read any replies yet (I will) so I do apologize if my comment is a repeat.

Yes, the so-called "MFP Police" were all uneducated once too. I'm sure learning everything they know about healthy, sustainable weight loss techniques took them a long time since they likely taught themselves. They simply speed up the process for everyone else who is uneducated. And though it's not what you meant by this statement, yes, "that's why they are here".

I'm personally very grateful for those individuals who try to help correct bad habits and behaviors that people have (be it unhealthy ones, or just techniques that don't really work). I learned a lot in a short time thanks to those people.

Also, the most helpful/knowledgeable people here aren't the ones that belittle others and call them stupid, etc. They are the ones who simply pop in, reference science (real science, brah) and stick to their guns even when people think they are different than everyone else on the planet. The people who insult others are the ones who no one takes advice from anyway.

So "MFP Police", thank you for teaching me things. :flowerforyou:

ETA: When I say MFP Police I am personally referring to those people who respond with logical solutions to the threads that are like "Omg I'm not losing weight!" when the poster is clearly doing several things "wrong". Wasn't sure if that was clear. :smile:

And PS- Good on you for reaching your goals OP. I think everyone "breaks the rules" now and again.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,506 Member
    Options
    Wait 'til the MFP Police get drones! Entertaining post & replies. I may have to go & eat a cookie. Cheers everyone!
  • rml_16
    Options
    But, might I suggest that there was no reason for me to believe that these people were not just posting links from websites that opposed the OP just because they themselves didn't believe what they called an urban legend?
    Opening the websites and reading what they said might have been your first clue. There were several, not counting the many links to the Snopes.com page.
  • Gwibbertronii
    Options
    Haha, these forums make me properly lol. I came to MFP to log my carbs and cals and lose some weight. I come to the forums to laugh my a** off at some of the threads. *very non-English guffaw of incredulous laughter*
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Congrats you lost weight. I lost 36 pounds. I am not better than anyone else. I am just a fat girl living in a skinny world right now. And I would really love a jelly donut. Or some pop tarts.

Screw that. There is a place by me that has a specialty flavor for every day of the week. Sundays is Red Velvet Cake donut with Cream Cheese Icing. Want. So. Bad.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    That doesn't make that someone a bully.

You are correct. At least a "bully" has the nerve to say something personally to someone's face. It would make these people cowards instead.

Oh, I'm as sarcastic to someones face as I am online. You wouldn't like me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    It's not the help that most resent...it's their tone. I've been called stupid more here in the last two days than ever in my life. Starting to wonder how I ever became valedictorian of my class.
    I remember a specific thread you were in and no one called you stupid, but they did question your attitude about something based on an urban legend someone copied and pasted from Facebook that you were using as the basis for your own argument.

An urban legend that's been debunked a thousand times and has no scientific backing whatsoever.

So ... You're probably not stupid, but you may need to work on critical thinking skills. That is not people here being mean or "the MFP police."

And, put the way that you just did, I may have listened much sooner. I have never claimed to be an expert in any way on that topic. Also, I do not know the credible sites to go look for on that particular subject. Nor, do I have the time to look for them.

It was the tone that everyone was using towards the poster and the subsequent people that dared to post on that subject that got my hackles up. People with knowledge do not have to be rude to get their points across. Or, use sarcasm to cut people down. If they are trying to be helpful...be helpful without the attitudes.

Well, first of all, long before you started posting in that thread, several people pointed out that it was an OLD urban legend that had been around for many years and was not true. So it had been said several times already.

And if you don't know about the subject, why were you so insistent that it *could* be true when so many people were giving credible evidence, pointing to studies and making logical arguments against it? Were we supposed to just let something stand as fact that was a lie?

It seems like your issue is you felt stupid because you tried to make an argument about something you admittedly knew nothing about. My advice is don't post in a thread about a subject you don't know about.

*gasp*

Bully!

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm the "friend" to whom the OP referred in her "I deleted a 'friend'" post, so guilty as charged?

I do complain on my wall because it's better than saying those things in people's threads. I have little patience for a complete lack of common sense. Call it a character flaw. I own it.

If anyone else wants to delete me, feel free 'cause I ain't changin'. I grew up on Monty Python, Fawlty Towers and Firesign Theatre. Sarcasm is second nature.

It's K, I like you.

I agree, would she rather you vent on your wall or go and start calling people dumb *kitten* on the forums? Seems like if anything she's appreciate your discretion. But then, the OP and I couldn't be friends, because I am the holder of mean images and sarcastic words.

doE0CFv.jpg
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I am super stoked that you cared enough to take the time to write up this awesome post!

I am positive that this will put them all in their place after reading it.

Aren't you in the Village People?

Yes, but I am actually the guy in the leather chaps.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Did your doctor suggest having a negative net daily calorie goal? Or confirm starvation mode?

And you are right, anyone who says any type of exercise is required for weight loss is an idiot.

i planned to go into his diary to see what his goal was, but failed. I remember seeing posts in the past about eating under 1200 calories. sounds like a fantastic plan
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Ta Ta
  • rml_16
    Options
    I agree, would she rather you vent on your wall or go and start calling people dumb *kitten* on the forums? Seems like if anything she's appreciate your discretion. But then, the OP and I couldn't be friends, because I am the holder of mean images and sarcastic words.

And that is why I adores ya.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    cqhlht.jpg
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

You are correct. At least a "bully" has the nerve to say something personally to someone's face. It would make these people cowards instead.

The average work email from a busy boss or a busy client for me is far more "mean" than anything I've ever read here. I don't get the hypersensitivity, and I know that I'm also more aggressive when working. On MFP I'm all cuddly like a teddy bear and ****, because frankly I know the people here are more sensitive and I'm trying to help. So, yes, this is me wrapped in rainbows and unicorn farts.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I deleted a "friend" on here recently. This person would complain about the "idiots" that were on here who were asking for help and misguided. I deleted this person because misguided people are not idiots. In America today there is a whole lot more incorrect and unhealthy information on losing weight and becoming healthy than there is correct information. People tend to dive into what the fad is or whatever worked for someone else and then, it doesn't work. They proceed to ask for help because they are trying and they get made fun of or people are rude to them etc. I saw it first hand with the person I just referred too.

1. Help - the genuine positive supportive kind of help - is a GREAT thing.

2. Thinking that you are better than someone because you have had success and thus treating people like you are better than them is what I am talking about. These are the MFP police. The people who think that they are better than everyone else.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, that is awesome. You have not run into one yet. And, I hope that you do not have to.

I think a big part of the problem is people often don't understand (or don't care) that it's very often not *what* the information being delivered is, but *how* it is disseminated. Along the adage of "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar", it doesn't matter much how phenomenal the information or knowledge being presented, if the way in which it is presented turns off the intended target. If how I present my knowledge turns you off, what I'm trying to tell you (presumably to help you) becomes moot and I've wasted my time. Unfortunately, the [offensive] people to whom you refer likely do not care about how their message comes across... which I find silly. Perhaps they like wasting their time, or just like reading their own words and reveling in their wittiness. Regardless, it's a shame.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    Options
    I'm starting to see a cycle here....at MFP.

You have the knowledgeable people who have been in fitness for years, have credentials, and have the experience answer all the questions on the boards. Their answers get shorter as the questions get repeated and they continuously get challenged by people giving bad advice because that's what the OP wants....encouragement, not really advice.

The knowledgeable people drop off, which I'm noticing and getting close to becoming one of, to be replaced by a new core....only to be chased off the boards in a few months because their answers challenge what the OP wants to hear.

BTW, I didn't join here because I was Fat, Out of Shape, or didn't know what I'm doing (I had been in fitness for over 12 years before joining, as your OP states everyone did). It's a great tool to log what you take in for the day and control your macros.

I apologize for making an assumption about everyone.... I should have said majority and that is my bad. I have always appreciated advice..... there are a lot of people on here who do not want the truth and when they get it they do not like it. Giving someone honest advice is a very awesome thing to do. And the people who are not willing to accept the truth and just want the magic trick are not going to succeed thus punishing themselves. The reason why I have been successful is because of people giving me honest advice and opinions.

People like you do know more than I do. My husband is a PT, MMA fighter, fitness guru guy. He knows more than I do. He does not treat me like he knows more than I do. He does not answer questions in a way that he puts me down for not knowing. He does not make fun of me for not knowing or doing something wrong.

This post was referring to people who do make fun of others and treat others poorly because they know more. You are obviously successful with whatever you do with fitness which tells me that you are not one of those people. I can only imagine how frustrating it is when someone asks for advice and doesn't want the honest answer. Obviously you are passionate about what you do or it wouldn't frustrate you.

I apologize for the confusion.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I deleted a "friend" on here recently. This person would complain about the "idiots" that were on here who were asking for help and misguided. I deleted this person because misguided people are not idiots. In America today there is a whole lot more incorrect and unhealthy information on losing weight and becoming healthy than there is correct information. People tend to dive into what the fad is or whatever worked for someone else and then, it doesn't work. They proceed to ask for help because they are trying and they get made fun of or people are rude to them etc. I saw it first hand with the person I just referred too.

1. Help - the genuine positive supportive kind of help - is a GREAT thing.

2. Thinking that you are better than someone because you have had success and thus treating people like you are better than them is what I am talking about. These are the MFP police. The people who think that they are better than everyone else.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, that is awesome. You have not run into one yet. And, I hope that you do not have to.

I think a big part of the problem is people often don't understand (or don't care) that it's very often not *what* the information being delivered is, but *how* it is disseminated. Along the adage of "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar", it doesn't matter much how phenomenal the information or knowledge being presented, if the way in which it is presented turns off the intended target. If how I present my knowledge turns you off, what I'm trying to tell you (presumably to help you) becomes moot and I've wasted my time. Unfortunately, the [offensive] people to whom you refer likely do not care about how their message comes across... which I find silly. Perhaps they like wasting their time, or just like reading their own words and reveling in their wittiness. Regardless, it's a shame.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1088600-dear-mean-people-of-mfp?hl=thank+you+mean+people

Or maybe they know people who are ready to accept the advice will take it, and only those who aren't ready will huff and puff about delivery.

Mean people changed me for the better. I was that 'I'm hungry, what do" woman, and the answer was "Eat." I was netting under a thousand calories a day and was weak and tired and the solution was "Gee, stop starving yourself idiot." and I would binge on candy "Maybe if you stopped trying to eat food you don't like, you'd stop shoving candy in your face?" and I wanted to know how I could get into lifting 'Here's some books, start reading. Do the work, get results."

I didn't need my hand held and glitter tossed at me, I needed simple to the point truth. Eat the food, read the books, do the damn work; anything else is just meaningless fluff to keep someone's butt from being hurt.

ANGTFT
  • kns6374
    Options
    Thank you so much, OP. I needed to see this today :)
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for making it real!
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

I am certain you are right.