A confession to the MFP Police

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Maybe knowledgeable posters should just stop trying to help. There appears to be a lot of resentment toward their efforts. That's sad.

Maybe you "Knowledgeable Posters" should open your Doctors Office where people can come to you for your professional educated opinion. Where did you receive your MD Degree and License to Practice?

eye-roll1.gif

You mean like the ones you claim have you at a net negative caloric intake, yep....they're good.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Maybe knowledgeable posters should just stop trying to help. There appears to be a lot of resentment toward their efforts. That's sad.

Maybe you "Knowledgeable Posters" should open your Doctors Office where people can come to you for your professional educated opinion. Where did you receive your MD Degree and License to Practice?

I wasn't including myself in that group, but there are many people on this site who have spent a lot of time and effort learning about fitness and nutrition, because they are interested in it. They make an effort to help others who are struggling.

In some cases, they have more knowledge about this subject matter than MDs, because it is their primary focus. Thanks for your sarcasm, though. That proves my point. I will be less inclined to help people in the forums with what knowledge and experience I DO have, now that I realise how my help is perceived.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It's not the help that most resent...it's their tone. I've been called stupid more here in the last two days than ever in my life. Starting to wonder how I ever became valedictorian of my class.

Please show me the threads that you were called stupid in.

Sorry, not those exactly those words. One "gentleman" told me that his six year old daughter could do better research than I could. If he was an expert in the field he was talking about, he should have told the rest of the posters and I'm certain they (and I) would have deferred to him.

Thank you, for pointing out the obvious to those that talk about parroting back information. Again, I'll back out bowing to your superior intelligence.

Well that is different. ability to research is not an indication of intelligence. While I am sure the poster meant it negatively, I think you may have taken it harder than you should have.
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love this post too and agree that they are waaayyyy too many bullies on MFP, hiding behind their computer.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

Where did you?

Since you ask, my college degree has nothing to do with the medical field therefore I do not offer any medical type of advice to anyone nor do I ask it of anyone online. I stick to the true professionals (MY DOCTORS).
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    As long as we're confessing, I STILL don't know what TDEE is, not because I don't know how to look it up because it's probably more detail than I need.
  • RGv2
    Options

I wasn't including myself in that group, but there are many people on this site who have spent a lot of time and effort learning about fitness and nutrition, because they are interested in it. They make an effort to help others who are struggling.

In some cases, they have more knowledge about this subject matter than MDs, because it is their primary focus. Thanks for your sarcasm, though. That proves my point. I will be less inclined to help people in the forums with what knowledge at experience I DO have, now that I realise how my help is perceived.

QFT
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It's not the help that most resent...it's their tone. I've been called stupid more here in the last two days than ever in my life. Starting to wonder how I ever became valedictorian of my class.

Please show me the threads that you were called stupid in.

Sorry, not those exactly those words. One "gentleman" told me that his six year old daughter could do better research than I could. If he was an expert in the field he was talking about, he should have told the rest of the posters and I'm certain they (and I) would have deferred to him.

Thank you, for pointing out the obvious to those that talk about parroting back information. Again, I'll back out bowing to your superior intelligence.

Did you just complain about being called "stupid," admit that this didn't happen, and then turn around and insult someone else's intelligence?

Well, I'm convinced . . .

I said that the word "stupid" wasn't said, it was implied. Thank you, very much.

And, I didn't insult their intelligence. If you read it, I said that they were more intelligent than myself.

I'm done with these frikken message boards. I guess I'm too sensative for all the sarcasm and snarkiness.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I love this post too and agree that they are waaayyyy too many bullies on MFP, hiding behind their computer.

No kidding. You are correct but it is safe there hiding behind their computer screen.
  • RGv2
    Options

Where did you?

Since you ask, my college degree has nothing to do with the medical field therefore I do not offer any medical type of advice to anyone nor do I ask it of anyone online. I stick to the true professionals (MY DOCTORS).

You should probably stay away from trainers, and anyone else who actually studied fitness and nutrition then.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    As long as we're confessing, I STILL don't know what TDEE is, not because I don't know how to look it up because it's probably more detail than I need.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure

Once you know what the letters stand for, it's a bit self-explanatory.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I just want to see the post where someone said "Things are going great and I lost 35 lbs!" and someone said "Well clearly the problem is you gotta weigh your coffee creamer fatty"
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    Options
    I deleted a "friend" on here recently. This person would complain about the "idiots" that were on here who were asking for help and misguided. I deleted this person because misguided people are not idiots. In America today there is a whole lot more incorrect and unhealthy information on losing weight and becoming healthy than there is correct information. People tend to dive into what the fad is or whatever worked for someone else and then, it doesn't work. They proceed to ask for help because they are trying and they get made fun of or people are rude to them etc. I saw it first hand with the person I just referred too.

1. Help - the genuine positive supportive kind of help - is a GREAT thing.

2. Thinking that you are better than someone because you have had success and thus treating people like you are better than them is what I am talking about. These are the MFP police. The people who think that they are better than everyone else.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, that is awesome. You have not run into one yet. And, I hope that you do not have to.
  • whierd
    Options

Where did you?

Are you aware that a doctor is not a dietician and not the best source of nutritional information?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Where did you?

I think you are confusing medical advice and general fitness and nutrition advice. Most of the responsible posters I see here (and there are many) will often preference advice with things like "You should consult your M.D." or "Assuming you do not have a medical condition." The point being that people do seek advice on here and people do respond with their experience. Some are better at it than others, but receiving others' advice is one of the purposes of these message boards . . . well, in addition to rating the above poster on whether they'd "date, hump, or dump" them . . .
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

It's a different way of calculating your daily calorie needs, basically. For some people, using the TDEE method is easier than NEAT (the MFP) way, as you have the same goal every single day regardless of your exercise. SideSteel had a great post comparing the two and basically saying "One isn't better than the other... just different... and you need to figure out which one you are getting results with best, etc." I'll look for it.
  • RGv2
    Options

It's why so many knowledgable and helpful people have left the forums or the site altogether. It takes entirely too much patience to put up with all of the anger and derp.

This is true. I've noticed a significant drop-off too.

And for those that are stuck on "credentials", they had them.
  • whierd
    Options

No kidding. You are correct but it is safe there hiding behind their computer screen.

I am much more forceful and condescending in person.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

When I was in nursing school 10 years ago, the hospitals I did my clinicals in used electronic thermometers with a blue probe for oral temp and a red probe for the back door temp. The valedictorian of my nursing class didn't know the difference between the two and put the anal end in someone's mouth.

Just sayin'.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I remember a specific thread you were in and no one called you stupid, but they did question your attitude about something based on an urban legend someone copied and pasted from Facebook that you were using as the basis for your own argument.

An urban legend that's been debunked a thousand times and has no scientific backing whatsoever.

So ... You're probably not stupid, but you may need to work on critical thinking skills. That is not people here being mean or "the MFP police."