Calling 911...have you ever done it?

Options

Replies

• wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I've prank called it many times.

Really? Did you get in trouble? Did they send an officer to your house?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yep...I had a neighbor who liked to beat his wife on the regular...so a few calls about that. Also, my mom's kidneys failed a couple years back, so there was more than one 911 call before we got that sorted out.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Then to a 4 year old playing on a old cell phone the parent gave them without taking the battery out so they call 911 over 45 times and you have to try to convince the child to take the phone to an adult and then explain to the parent that even disconnected cell phones still call 911.
    Thank you for this - I didn't know that a cell phone taken out of service could still call 911. I will take the battery out of my old phone that I gave to my 16 month old granddaughter today!
  • rhia575
    rhia575 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When me and my friend were out one night drinking. Some guy was beating up his girlfriend and i shouted at him to stop (from a good distance) and then the brother started chasing us down an empty street so no one was there. I phoned them while we ran and thankfully we ran into a big group of guys who were also out, who stopped the guy from chasing us and kept him restrained as they took about 30 minutes to get there even though it's a small town and the station was around a 3 minute drive away.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Yes. I drive on a major freeway everyday and I see people texting while driving. If you are texting and driving I will call 911 to report your location and license plate number. I use my hands free device. It is selfish to text and drive. Do not kill me or a member of my family for your selfish need to be an ignorant jerk.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Lots of times, honestly. A few times for things I saw on the side of the road (like a mini-van in the grass with an apparently knocked-out driver), or car accidents. The scariest was when I lost track of my 18 month old. I was working in the yard and he was playing behind me, until suddenly he wasn't. I ran around our entire development and could not find him.

The thing I find frustrating about 911 is that they are not integrated with the VOIP lines and cell phone lines. If there is really an emergency, I can barely remember my own name, let alone the name of my county, township, and nearest cross street!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've called twice to report dogs left in cars on hot days and twice to report obviously drunk drivers.
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Too many 2 list since I've owned convenience stores (2 of them in Hobbs NM)... Once because a guy was holding his pg g/f against her will & then beat the crap out of her like I've never seen a person (man or woman) beat right in front of us... I walked close 2 the car & yelled at him 2 stop & wanted 2 get in there & try 2 stop him but it's a good thing I didn't cause when the cops pulled them over seconds after leaving the store they found a butcher knife under his seat with a 12 inch blade & not 2 mention the cpl POUNDS of cocaine ... I had 2 go sign a witness statement & was told the girl was blowing him kisses after they were arrested... & in a weird twist the same guy (after getting out of prison) ended up working 4 my husband (my husband didn't know who he was but apparently he knew who we were) & eventually the guy & 3 of his cousins ended up jumping my husband & broke 4 of his ribs & tore his shoulder up BAD!!! He needed surgery & still can't do certain things @ work because of it... =( Now the dumba$$ is back in prison 4 a VERY long time but 4 like 8 unrelated drug smuggling & gun charges... So ya, wish I woulda never helped the girl out in the 1st place (who is in prison on her own charges still)...
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Yes. I drive on a major freeway everyday and I see people texting while driving. If you are texting and driving I will call 911 to report your location and license plate number. I use my hands free device. It is selfish to text and drive. Do not kill me or a member of my family for your selfish need to be an ignorant jerk.

Hopefully you only call when the texting is accompanied with erratic driving, otherwise you should probably get the highway patrol's non emergency number to report the regular texters.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    4x all for car accidents.
  • CanadaLiz
    CanadaLiz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    "9-1-1 is a joke"

Everyone whom works 911 will remember that when you are having a true emergency and need us. We will just forget you called, if we are a joke.

I've comforted a dying child in my arms. I've shaken the had of a cardiac arrest victim that survived because of us. I've delivered babies, I've hugged a perfect stranger who's husband had just passed.

*kitten* you, sir. *kitten*. You.

Could not have said it better myself. Screw you buddy.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Once when someone tried to break in our house & the alarm went off. But we had just moved into a brand new development and the police couldn't find our neighborhood!

Once when we were moving in middle of summer in GA and my ex-husband got so extrememly dehydrated that he basically had a heat stroke and ended up in the hospital for a week bcuz his kidney's almost shut down

Once my then 3 yr old son dialed it and hung up without my knowledge right before he went to bed. About 5 mnts after putting him down, the police showed up at our door. So I went & got him out of bed. The poor kid thought he was in so much trouble! The police were very kind and explained to him why he should only do it in an emergency. They took him out and let him look at their car & turn on the blue lights. He never did that again!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    "9-1-1 is a joke"

Everyone whom works 911 will remember that when you are having a true emergency and need us. We will just forget you called, if we are a joke.

I've comforted a dying child in my arms. I've shaken the had of a cardiac arrest victim that survived because of us. I've delivered babies, I've hugged a perfect stranger who's husband had just passed.

*kitten* you, sir. *kitten*. You.

Could not have said it better myself. Screw you buddy.

roflcopter.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    I did not realize that the comment I was/am angry about was from a song.

It is disgusting that someone would write that, let alone sing about it to make money.

If you've never needed our services, than feel blessed. You don't truly understand what we do, until you do. I hope that anyone that has never needed our services continues to never need them.

Many a firefighter/ems personnel have been hurt or killed in the line of duty. We are not armed, we do not have a way to fight back, yet every day, we will risk our lives to save yours, or you loved ones.

Take a ride on an ambulance one night, or a firetruck. Hold the hand of someone that is trying to survive a horrid tragedy that happened, beit being shot/stabbed/beaten/stung by a bee/eaten the wrong food/had a car accident.... watch the men and women of red run into a house/building and try to save anyone that is in there, all while risking their own lives. See what we do, every day, then you'll understand why that statement made my blood boil.

the song was a social statement on the seemingly endless delay experienced in black neighborhoods when 911 was called for a legitimate reason. at least it had some thought behind it rather than a song promoting drug use or violence.
    it was a musical protest.

*shrug*

My husband is a fire department paramedic at a violent inner city fire house.
    There is no "delay".
    There is a timer on the wall that is activated as soon as the run is dispatched.
    Real, fake, prank, 2:00 pm, 2:00 am he goes and he goes fast.
    If the joke is on anyone, it's him.

is your husband a parametic in compton in the 1980s? if so then never mind your response is completely justified.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Yeah I called last week as a matter of fact for a grass fire across the street from where I work. It was working its way up the hillside when it was noticed. Called 911, rang 6 times, a recording answered saying do not hang up you have reached 911. I shyt you not. I held on and eventually reported it. I remember when 911 started up. I was a firefighter/EMT back then. Things have sure changed from those days.
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Then to a 4 year old playing on a old cell phone the parent gave them without taking the battery out so they call 911 over 45 times and you have to try to convince the child to take the phone to an adult and then explain to the parent that even disconnected cell phones still call 911.
    Thank you for this - I didn't know that a cell phone taken out of service could still call 911. I will take the battery out of my old phone that I gave to my 16 month old granddaughter today!

You're welcome! I didn't know that either, until I started working for 911.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm curious though... to some of the people here who work, or have worked 911, what are some of the stupid calls you've gotten? That could probably be a whole new thread. lol

--About 3 months ago, I took a call from a woman who was very pissed off at her neighbors because they wouldn't control their mosquitos therefore the caller could not enjoy their backyard..... While I am taking this call, my co-worker is taking a call for an active domestic with weapons and injury.
    --Then you have the people who call 911 because their 9 year old wont go to school.
    --Then there are those who call 911 because there is a car on the side of the road with the hood up and someone standing beside the car and that looks "suspicious" to the caller...
    --Then you have the calls where a man or woman just came home and has found their loved one dead on the floor.
    --Or a parent driving down the road and has to pull over because their child is now having a seizure and they are freaking out.
    --Or the patient who calls at 6pm on a Friday (after all doctors offices have closed) because of a tooth ache they have had for 4 days now and "can no longer stand the pain"
    --Then there are the calls where the neighbors dog has attacked their child.
    --The call of some partiers on a boat when 2 of them fall off the boat and are found about 12 hours later at the bottom of the lake.
    --Or hearing a man get stabbed and listen to him struggle to breathe, then start gasping, you hear the sirens in the background, but its midnight so nobody can see the man laying in the field bleeding to death, then you hear him take his last breath, yet still hear the sirens/help so close yet they cant find him.
    --Talking to your coworkers family member who just killed their spouse, then kills himself while on the phone with you.

All these calls are REAL. They have happened in MY dispatch center!

There are no routine calls, no "normal days at the office". We have to switch from comforting one caller who is starting at their dead loved one on the floor to having to talk the suicidal caller into putting the gun down. Then to a 4 year old playing on a old cell phone the parent gave them without taking the battery out so they call 911 over 45 times and you have to try to convince the child to take the phone to an adult and then explain to the parent that even disconnected cell phones still call 911.
    It's not a joke. It's somebodies life, somebodies loved one. Some calls are total BS but some are life and death. We do a lot more than answer a phone line and tell the fire dept, police, and EMS where to go. What dispatchers do is VERY under appreciated and almost always overlooked. It's not a job you do to get attention, be named a hero, or be the shining star because there is very little recognition.
    HUGE THANKS to all those who support what we do and appreciate the hardships we go through to assist in our fellow citizens safety.
    :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I know there's a lot of scary emergencies, and I don't know how you guys stay so calm because I don't think I could.. and I know there's stupid stuff.. like people calling because they went through the drive through and got shorted a couple mcnuggets. I think I read about that one on a news site somewhere. I think I like hearing about the stupid stories even though those people are a blight on humanity in real life.
    I guess marveling how people could be SO f#cking stupid as to call for some of the things they do, takes my mind off how horrible all the real calls no doubt are.

You're very right!! The one time we DO welcome the stupid calls is after taking a bad call. Anything to get the mind off the bad that we just listened to. That's when most of us don't mind them, lol.

I suspect they can be a lot of laughs if they don't annoy you for wasting your time. :flowerforyou:
  • _KrisMarie_
    Options
    When me and my friend were out one night drinking. Some guy was beating up his girlfriend and i shouted at him to stop (from a good distance) and then the brother started chasing us down an empty street so no one was there. I phoned them while we ran and thankfully we ran into a big group of guys who were also out, who stopped the guy from chasing us and kept him restrained as they took about 30 minutes to get there even though it's a small town and the station was around a 3 minute drive away.

Wow, you reminded me of something that happened a long time ago, back in my hometown. A guy was beating up his girlfriend, and I heard him **** a gun. I called 911 that time. A SWAT team came in, and the whole neighborhood had to be evacuated at 2 AM. My roommate and I later had to give a statement at the station, and then finally testify against the guy. I never heard what happened with the whole thing, but I do remember the girl had gone back to that a**hole. *smh*
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options

They make non-emergency lines specifically for stuff like this.

I've never had to call 9-1-1 outright, but I have called the non-emergency line multiple times on drunk drivers.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

They make non-emergency lines specifically for stuff like this.

I've never had to call 9-1-1 outright, but I have called the non-emergency line multiple times on drunk drivers.

I hope they tell this person calling 911 that emergencies are actually happening and that they need to stop wasting their time!