Myth: women can't bulk up

Options

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You forgot about eating at a calorie surplus.
  • McGruber03
    Options
    I think the real hazard here is being in the weight room barefoot.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    'Women can't bulk up'?

I thought the myth went 'Dogs can't look up.'. *confused face*
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lkwn39yE8Y1qbmxomo1_400.gif
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Guys. You don't get the point here. What I am saying is that you can bulk up if you work hard enough. Say if you gain 20 lbs you would look toned, but if you gain 70 you would look manly. you dont get to 70 unless u pass through 20. that's what im saying.

for a woman to gain 20lbs of muscle with strict diet and exercise routine would probably take 2-4 years, and a caloric surplus
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Somebody get me a leotard and 1 pound pink hand weights! My butt is looking manly with all those heavy squats!
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends has lifted for 12 years.She introduced me to the gym,and can lift nearly triple what I do. Is she bulky? Not even a little bit! She did lose nearly 300 pounds though.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    I just wanted to prove to everyone out there that women CAN build muscles and bulkup WITHOUT steroids. The only difference between men and women is in the rate of bulking. Men have more testosterone and therefore it takes them less time to bulk. A muscle is a muscle. If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

Here is an example:

Becca Swanson> held the world record with a 551-pound lift (bench press) in 2006

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyuqkcgbhV1qfqkngo1_400.jpg

Now, I know that this doesn't happen overnight but what I am saying is if you train like a man long enough, you can bulk up.

"If you train like a man long enough, you can bulk up": FALSE. If your goal is to gain large amounts of muscle mass then you'll gain large amounts of muscle mass. That also includes the proper diet to bulk and gain that mass. What the hell is with this "train like a man, train like a woman" *kitten*????

It's not a myth that women can't "get big." When people refer to women being unable to get "big like a man" they are referring to a woman who eats a typical diet and works out with moderate/heavy weight a few times a week. The women who "get big" workout for a living and get paid to do it. They also eat all the time and take ungodly amounts of supplements (not referring to illegal supplements here).
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Guys. You don't get the point here. What I am saying is that you can bulk up if you work hard enough. Say if you gain 20 lbs you would look toned, but if you gain 70 you would look manly. you dont get to 70 unless u pass through 20. that's what im saying.

Do you know how much work "hard enough" is to gain 20 pounds of muscle? Ain't nobody going do that by accident. If you are willing to put in that kind of time, you are NOT under the (misguided) impression that muscles are masculine.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options

If you are lifting and watching what you eat you don't accidentally gain 70lbs. Is the example a bulky woman? Yes she is. Is she lifetime natural? Umm maybe? No way to be sure, but being a professional athlete does not make you LESS likely to be doping, it just makes your drugs harder to trace. Also, there are some genetics at work to get the mass she has going on there. 99% of women won't bulk like that, so stop the hyperbole. Have you ever met a competitive body building woman? I have and guess what? They tend to look normal unless they are on a competition cut.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Where are all these zombie threads coming from today. This is like the 3rd one I've seen.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Where are all these zombie threads coming from today. This is like the 3rd one I've seen.

People finally found the Search button
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why a woman would want to get to that point, but who am I to say?
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    First and Foremost....if a woman wants to look like that, that is her prerogative and trust me, no one is going to start lifting and accidentally get bulky without realizing it. They WANT to look like that and good for them.

Alot of women I know, once you start lifting and growing, you want more. and more.

It's not a myth. Woman can bulk. however, a skinny girl lifting 10lbs dumbbells isnt going to look like that. she'll gain some muscle and fill out her skinny figure. not only that, but she'll reduce her risk of osteoporosis in the future. so bottom line: LIFT LADIES!!! LIFT!! LIFT!!!

EXACTLY!
    Heck, I would love to be a little 'bulkier' and it's just not happening. All I'm doing is leaning out while lifting HEAVY! No 5 pounds dumbbells here.
    This just doesn't happen overnight and it won't happen unless that's what you want and you work damn hard for it!

I'm 5''2 and when i was 105-107 lbs I squatted (ON RACK) 180lb bar on back/225 smith machine and I was anything, but big. I was curvy and muscular very girly/lady/feminine like. I also squatted and lifted heavy like that for yrs and could not get bulky if I tried naturally. I am now bigger/heavier due to lack of lifting heavy and eating like shiznitz and my goal is to lift heavy and and have my hour glass figure back.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Right. and men who lift will look JUST LIKE SCHWARZENEGGER if they lift long and hard enough.

Or will they, without the right genetics?

I know men who aren't real bulky after a lifetime of lifting.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Manly? Oh please...women who lift weights do not look manly.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    And you believe she is a lifetime natural? Why?

^^^^This.

OP is assuming that the lifter in question never supplemented testosterone or steroids or many other things. Yes it is possible for a woman to get bulky like this, but not without much help from many sources.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options

We do get the point. You are saying that have no concept how much work that woman has put in to look like that and assume that you might accidentally get there too.

I have been lifting since before you were born, judging by your picture, and I don't look anything like that and never will.

You DO NOT get that physique lifting weights a couple times a week.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The myth is you can bulk up accidentally.

Derp.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    If you lift heavy weight low rep, you will gain mass.

IF you're in a calorie surplus and work really damn hard on it for a very long time and happen to be genetically predisposed to it.

Becca Swanson is 5'10 and 240 pounds and touted as the world's strongest woman. It's her goal to be that way.

Avoiding lifting because you fear you'll look like her is like being afraid to read a book or you'll turn into Stephen Hawking.

Just made this my facebook status.