Why do people disregard walking?

Options

Replies

• tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I said this this morning to my co-worker.

I says, "Walking is a legit exercise, it's even on My Fitness Pal and everything!"
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If anyone tells you walking is anything other than great exercise, immediately stop listening to them. They don't know what they are talking about.
  • peggyalex
    peggyalex Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    There are some people who believe their way to lose weight, or work out, is the ONLY correct way. You have the clean eaters, the dirty eaters, the low carb-ers, the ones who don't give a darn, the walkers, the runners, the weight lifters... and they all think they have the magic answer. They don't. No one has the magic answer for a body they don't own. Keep walking and tell them to go eat a Snickers.

^^^^^^^^^^THIS LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I love, love, LOVE to walk! My city has some substantial hills and scenic routes with stairs, so I make it as easy or intense as I feel like it on any particular day. When winter hits, our high school opens the doors for "hall walkers". The only downfall to that is I can't bring my beloved dog in the school...who misses walking with me on the snowy, cold days.

Do what you love and it will serve you well! Don't let the nay sayers bring you down!!
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I love walking! I live out in the country on 35 acres, so I have a lot of area to walk in, and it's really been working for me so far. I have a lot of trouble with many exercises because I tore the ligaments in my right knee some years ago, so I walk.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jacksandler
    Options
    I've been walking almost every day since the beginning of May. I do 10 laps (about 3.33 miles) just about every day, and I'm down 30 lbs.
  • amj3303
    amj3303 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Walking is amazing! I lost 20 lbs just walking before! I LOVE IT!! Keep it up!!!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I walk and lift - sometimes a little HIIT thrown in, but I HATE running. Thanks for the program tip, btw.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    It is a giant joke because you paid money for a DVD about Walking. Instead of just going outside and...walking.

I have to say I see some truth in that statement.

Unless I were severely agoraphobic or lived in the desert I don't understand why anyone would prefer to do leg lifts in front of the TV over being outdoors but maybe that's just me...

You can't understand that others might prefer something different than you?? I find that extremely odd.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Look at my ticker......that is from eating right.....and walking.... a lot of walking.
  • HSokol
    HSokol Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am all for walking;i go all the time on my lunch break and at my part time job. Like you said it is a great cardio workout and it's something that you've found works for you. The best exercise is one you will actually do and enjoy. So go ahead and walk that tooshie off!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm a hardcore runner, but walking is a good exercise too.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Everybody walks every day. It's just that the other 7 billion of us don't call it "exercise."
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'd say a full 80-90% of my exercise is walking (the other 10-20% is lifting) I walk fast (4-4.5 mph pace) and pick a route with lots of hills. Or (preferably), I hike over challenging mountain terrain with a heavy pack.

Tough walking has made me fit enough to keep up with my running friends when I choose to join them for a workout or a 5K. I also noticed that I have better endurance than my "heavy lifting only" friend who is 20 years younger than me and *looks* fitter. He was gassed on a tough uphill climb, and I felt great.

Walking has been excellent for me and I really don't feel the need to "advance" beyond it. I can if I want to, but walking gives me all the cardio I need.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I don't know you guys.....buy my support team somewhat sucks when I begin to talk about my cardiovascular choice......WALKING. I do Leslie Sansone EVERYDAY and have seen great results but I hate telling people I WALK....because they never have anything good to say about it......but Leslie is NO JOKE.....I usually have an average HR of 150 and reach highs of 166-168 (94%). So I'm sweating and my heart is getting a workout.

Leslie is the only workout I can truly do and STAY COMMITTED to. I can't commit to others....but I want to celebrate and be proud of my walking choice.....ughhhhh.....any walkers out there with great things to say about it? I really need to hear some good things right about now. I'm having one of those days.

Perhaps its time for some new friends to encourage you in the most basic form of exercise.

I agree with others ... the only way this works for any of us is to find what we enjoy doing and JUST DO IT! :wink:

I miss walking. I had knee surgery 3 weeks ago and can't wait to get back to my daily walks and my normal workout schedule.

You keep up your good work and focus on you! Walk, walk, walk away those pounds! :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Everybody walks every day. It's just that the other 7 billion of us don't call it "exercise."

Not calling it "exercise" doesn't mean it's not exercise.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I love walking. When I first started my plan it was about all I could do and I was the stereotypical fat chick out of breath after walking half a block. I've since added a bunch more things (T25, Rockin Body, Yoga, etc.) but walking is what I love and the one I miss if I skip a day. It has helped my body and mind and I really enjoy it.

So screw anyone who thinks it isn't enough.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I don't know you guys.....buy my support team somewhat sucks when I begin to talk about my cardiovascular choice......WALKING. I do Leslie Sansone EVERYDAY and have seen great results but I hate telling people I WALK....because they never have anything good to say about it......but Leslie is NO JOKE.....I usually have an average HR of 150 and reach highs of 166-168 (94%). So I'm sweating and my heart is getting a workout.

Leslie is the only workout I can truly do and STAY COMMITTED to. I can't commit to others....but I want to celebrate and be proud of my walking choice.....ughhhhh.....any walkers out there with great things to say about it? I really need to hear some good things right about now. I'm having one of those days.

Interesting I went to send you a friend's request because you sound like you need new friends to motivate you and you have deactivated your account. Odd?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I expected rudeness.....you are the ignorance I speak of.....THANK YOU for proving my point.

Where was the rudeness? You asked a question and I gave you the answer from my perspective. Surely you did not think everyone would think that Walking DVDs are great?

As for ignorance, I think you are confused about what that means. I actually think walking (actual walking outside, not a treadmill or DVD) is a great way to get in some cardio, relax, and get to know your neighborhood.