Like Minded Lushes - October 2010

Options

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday Lushes...the weekend is over and it's back to SOBRIETY

Managed to stay alcohol free yesterday...yippe...the first day is the hardest after nearly 2 weeks of comsumption

How did my fellow lushes fair this weekend?
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I work as a restaurant manager, 12 hour shifts at a time and when I get off work at ten oclock at night all I want is a drink to unwind. I used to have a margarita (it's a mexican restaurant) and slowly saw the weight start to creep up. Then I switched to champagne. It's only 87 calories a glass (on average) but then it was turning into 2 glasses at night...and a couple more on the weekends.. I'm training with a sports trainer (kicks my *kitten* three days a week) and I run 12 miles a week..but I couldn't seem to get my weight down. So, i talked to Bruce, my trainer, and asked him what more I should be doing. So, he asked about my diet. It wasn't that bad. But I buckled down and made it stricter. Still, the weight didn't budge...well, three weeks ago I stopped drinking all together. I think i've had 4 glasses of champagne since. I feel great, I'm doing a "carb cycling" diet and have lost 4.5 lbs. It's working! I'm sleeping better too. I'm staying on board. I'm not going to say that I wont ever have a drink, but i'm definitely going to think twice about it before I do
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I'm not going to say that I wont ever have a drink, but i'm definitely going to think twice about it before I do

I agree, I am just going to have to buckle down and do it.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Just finished meal planning for the week. I am really buckling down this week too. I did plan wine on friday night but just 1/2 a bottle so that is good for me. (besides I am cooking with it so I have to drink it:tongue: ) Here's to a great week.

:drinker: :drinker: WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!:drinker: :drinker:
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Beer and white wine are my demons...I am in one of the October Challenges and this week we have to give up one of our food items that we love and I picked Alcohol...so all week I am dry. I can't wait til next weekend :drinker: but seriously, I really need to cut down on my weeknight drinking ..wasted calories all going to my already big enough belly.
  • Oldbat61
    Oldbat61 Posts: 141
    Options
    Hello fellow lushes. Calorie allowance went right out the window today as I was at my daughter, Dawn's, for a fabulous lunch. My grandson leaves home tomorrow to start a course as a trainee instructor at an outward bound centre; he will be teaching youngsters to canoe, kayak and climb high wires amongst other things. Anyway, as well as the immediate family there were two other couples and their children who are great friends from church. Dawn had made a fantastic lunch, Boeuf Bourgignon, Chicken with sundried tomatoes; broccoli, carrots, rice or cous cous plus strawberry pavlova, chocolate cheesecake and banoffee pie. The food was absolutely delicious and as it was to give Ollie a great send off it would have been rude not to eat and enjoy it but I managed to stick to a single glass of wine!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As I have mentioned previously my sister in law has been visiting me for the last week but she returns home tomorrow, so it is back to serious exercise and maintaining a proper calorie allowance and keeping alcohol for weekend treats. Good luck to us all :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hello lushes! I love my alcohol, but it keeps the weight on. MFP help's me budget the calories so I can drink something twice a week and stay focused on loosing weight. I love margaritas (sans salt), screwdrivers, cosmos and beer. A friend of mine moved away in February and left me with all of his booze, over the course of 6 months, the weight crept up on me (in addition to eating a high starch diet). Limited starches, limited booze, more rabbit food. Seems to be working thus far.

There's nothing more I like than sitting down to watch a movie with a bottle of Tito's vodka in hand. It's an inexpensive vodka, but tastes pretty smooth and top-shelf. It's not the alcohol that gets me (unless I have 4 margaritas in one night), it's all that juice with the vodka.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know everyone's trying to stay away from alcohol, but there's a time and a place and plenty of pressure for us to drink occasionally. Today I went with a bunch of girls to an open house at our salon and afterwards everyone wanted to go to our restaurant and have a drink while watching the Giants game. (GO GIANTS!) Well, I picked up these sugar free (calorie free) margarita mix packets. It's in a little tube and it's powdered and you just add it to 4 oz. of cold water and an oz of tequila. I was very sceptical as I don't like crystal light or any other sugar free beverage powders. Well, it was delicious! So for an oz of tequila (69 cal) I had a delicious cocktail that didn't break my calorie bank! It's called Baja Bob's original. I bought it at bev mo. Next time i'm having it in vodka. I know it's still not good for me, but everyone's gotta have one now and again!
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Saturday, 0 drinks
    Sunday, 0 drinks
    Monday, 0 drinks...presumptuous, I know

3 days after that and I will re-evaluate

Karen and Oldbat, you guys are still hanging tough...keep it up
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    My Sober October challenge was a big fail for me. I was going to not go over on my cals, drinking included and not drink more than three drinks per day. On Friday I made myself two vodka tonics, because my husband was late and it was Friday, then we went to dinner where I had one beer, but it was agave wheat, so not light on cals, then after walking around the art walk we stopped for another drink, I had a coors light, but that was four drinks and with dinner I went way over. Saturday was better, I stuck to two beers and vodka-soda, but Sunday I got together with a friend to watch Weeds and I drank four beers.
    Weekends are bad for me, but during the week I can do better, my new challenge this week is to not drink beer.
    what do you think-is there a difference between wine/beer/hard liquor? or is a calorie just a calorie?
    the other thing, though, is that I can better stick to one glass of wine with dinner than one beer.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    what do you think-is there a difference between wine/beer/hard liquor? or is a calorie just a calorie?
    the other thing, though, is that I can better stick to one glass of wine with dinner than one beer.

I think it depends on the type of beer you drink and personal needs, some are rice based and some are wheat based. I think a calorie is a calorie; but, seem to be less bloated if I avoid beer. Also, I tend to chug beer and sip wine.

Weekends are hard, I'm actually impressed that you only have 4...I can nearly double that...sadly

You have a good goal...I am going to abstain till Friday and evaluate the weekend...it's my weekend to work; so, it may work out good for me. We will see. My goal is to keep drinks less than 8 for the week.
  • rjadams
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie but there is the school of thought about how our bodies metabolize alcohol. It is said that we burn it before any thing else so you will burn it off and not any fat if you drink too much. others say that it can take up to 24-48 hours for your metabolism to start burning fat stores again. I don't know for sure but it has been talked about alot.

many people swear that they can't loose if they consume alcohol at all even if their calories are within limits. I think maintaining weight you have to account for the calories but in losing weight I think it is more than just calories and how it affects our weight loss.

Okay enough rambling. anyway I am off to a good start today. I got off my but and exercised alot and have been eating clean and drinking tons of water.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    So I went 1 step further this weekend ... I DUMPED the Vodka from my freezer. Granted I have an entire liquor cabinets worth of alcohol (okay maybe not that much but a lot) left over BUT none of that stuff tempts me the way Vodka does ...

So ... 35 days no booze (other then what was mentioned before which, for me, was nothing really LOL).
  • jenni185
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's a lush...My husband and I both have stressful jobs and enjoy having a beer at the end of the day. Unfortunately, it sometimes turns into a six-pack or more. Then we stuff our faces afterwards.

I think I might invest in some Select 55. Low on calories and tastes crappy enough that I don't want to drink too many. :drinker:
  • nisijam5
    Options
    So I went 1 step further this weekend ... I DUMPED the Vodka from my freezer. Granted I have an entire liquor cabinets worth of alcohol (okay maybe not that much but a lot) left over BUT none of that stuff tempts me the way Vodka does ...

So ... 35 days no booze (other then what was mentioned before which, for me, was nothing really LOL).

OMG, pure alcohol abuse....anyway, way to be proactive...I have to be pregnant to go 35 days and I am not that desparate
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    After being a member here for a while...I think I found the best thread finally
  • rjadams
    Options

OMG, pure alcohol abuse....anyway, way to be proactive...I have to be pregnant to go 35 days and I am not that desparate
    I don't know which is more disturbing. the alcohol abuse or the thought of Kim getting pregnant just to avoid alcohol. both are disturbing images. I always cry at the loss of good vodka.

good for you, Karen, for being so focused. I don't want to give up alcohol so I am certaininly not aiming for anything more than a week or so at a time. But you are certainly on a long streak.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I don't know which is more disturbing. the alcohol abuse or the thought of Kim getting pregnant just to avoid alcohol. both are disturbing images. I always cry at the loss of good vodka.

good for you, Karen, for being so focused. I don't want to give up alcohol so I am certaininly not aiming for anything more than a week or so at a time. But you are certainly on a long streak.

Your right, it's a coin toss. Plus, I already have four kids which is probably the very reason I drink.

Karen, have you weighed recently...have you lost?

Welcome TRAV!!! What's your poison? Any goals?
  • rjadams
    Options
    its a small step but yay

Monday =0 drinks.
  • Oldbat61
    Oldbat61 Posts: 141
    Options
    Didn't manage a bozze free night after all last night but I still managed to keep to just one glass of Chardonnay. Anyway, today is another day so hope to stay off the bozze until Saturday, keep under the calorie allowance AND get on with my exercise. :drinker: