looking for some SOUP ideas..

Options
6spdeg
6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
Please share I need some good and healthy ideas. Starting to get cool here.

Replies

• katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I LOVE soup, I eat so much soup in the fall/winter when it's cold. I'm a puree kinda gal - I like carrot, squash, apple ginger type soups. Curried soups too. I love brothier soups as well but don't find them as filling or tasty or nutritious.

I usually just google the ingredients I want to use and find a recipe with lots of good comments that includes the nutritional info. If the recipe doesn't include the nutritional info, you can use the recipe tool on here to add all the ingredients, then once you make your soup, see how many servings it *really* is and enter that into your recipe tool so you know how many calories etc is in each bowl!
  • 6spdeg
    Options
    ty for the reply's so far.
  • verongle
    verongle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    look on the bbc good food website - they post the calorie count on most of the recipes too
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Minestrone is one of our fall favorites...

If you enjoy cooking, and like prepping your own ingredients, then go with the first number...If you are fine with canned or frozen ingredients, then go with the second number...

1T olive oil
    1 large onion, diced
    2 ribs celery, sliced
    1lb or 15 oz carrots, sliced
    1lb or 15 oz tomatoes, diced
    1lb or 15 oz green beans, cut (if you use fresh, blanch them first)
    1lb or 15 oz white beans
    1T basil
    2c macaroni style noodles (I like the Ancient Grains Quinoa pasta)
    8c beef stock

In a large stockpot, heat olive oil and toss in onions. Saute onions until translucent, but not browned. Add celery and saute til softened (if using fresh carrots, put those in at the same time as the celery). Add the rest of the ingredients (if using cans, use the juice, too), except pasta. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Add pasta and boil til pasta is done, about 8 minutes.

This makes a lot of soup...enough to feed my family of four, plus lunches...about 10 servings. It's even better the second day. I use mainly fresh ingredients, but I do use the chili or seasoned diced tomatoes most of the time for extra flavor. When I do use canned or frozen, there is no salt or sauces added. If I have a bit of leftover beef or pork, I'll add it in, but most of the time we eat it as written above.
  • AmberRyan54
    Options
    Crockpot beef stew - healthy and simple to make

http://thetipsycupcake.blogspot.com/2013/09/simple-weeknight-stew.html
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    my FAVORITE fall soup:
    Pumpkin Turkey Chili
    INGREDIENTS
    • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    • 1 cup chopped onion
    • 1/2 cup chopped red or orange bell pepper
    • 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
    • 1 clove garlic, minced
    • 1 pound ground turkey
    • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
    • 2 cups pumpkin puree
    • 2 cans black beans, rinsed
    • 1 can chili beans
    • 1 cup frozen corn
    • 3/4 cup chicken broth
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
    • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
    • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    • 2 tsp cumin
    • 1 tsp dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1 dash salt
    • 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    • 1/2 cup sour cream
    DIRECTIONS
    1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and garlic until tender. Stir in the turkey, and cook until evenly brown (add in 1/4 cup chicken broth halfway through). Mix in tomatoes (with juice) and pumpkin, corn, and beans. Season with chili powder, cayenne, cinnamon, cumin, oregano, pepper, and salt. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. optional: Serve topped with Cheddar cheese and sour cream.

(I also add a few tsp of Cholula to my bowl, but not for people who are sensitive to spice!)

Also I got this recipe from food52, its like an Asian spiced up version of chicken noodle soup, DELICIOUS! rave reviews:
    Makes about 2 quarts
    •1tablespoon olive oil
    •2 shallots, minced
    •1/2cup cilantro, roughly chopped
    •2 cloves garlic, minced
    •1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
    •5-6cups chicken stock
    •2tablespoons red curry paste
    • zest and juice of 1 lime
    •1tablespoon olive oil
    •1 jalapeno, seeded, minced
    •1tablespoon ginger, minced
    •2 scallions, very thinly sliced
    •1cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
    •1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
    •1cup corn kernels
    •1 1/2cup shredded chicken
    • large handful soba noodles, cooked
    • scallions, thinly sliced for garnish
    • jalapenos, thinly sliced for garnish
    • cilantro, roughly chopped for garnish
    • avocado, thinly sliced, for garnish
    • lime wedges, for garnish
    1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots, cilantro, and garlic. Cook until fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Add the coconut milk and chicken stock, and bring to a simmer. If a smoother broth is desired, strain this mixture, pressing the solids to release all liquid, and return the liquid to the pot. Otherwise, let the mixture continue to simmer. Add the red curry, lime zest, and juice.
    2. In a saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients (except garnish) and cook until heated through, 3-4 minutes. Add to the broth. Simmer until the mixture has reached desired flavor, and season with salt.
    3. Stir in the cooked noodles (you can also cook the noodles in the broth, I just happened to have some soba noodles at home already cooked when I made this soup). Ladle into bowls and top with tons of garnishes.

3. This is a vegetarian soup from the gluten free goddess website, I added in ground chicken for meat eaters, yummy!

Mulligatawny Soup Recipe with Jasmine Rice

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 tablespoon gluten-free red curry paste or curry powder, to taste
    1 medium red onion, peeled, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    6 medium carrots, peeled and diced
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    2 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced
    1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
    1 quart light vegetable broth
    1 cup coconut milk
    Juice from 1 or 2 medium limes, as needed
    1 teaspoon raw organic agave nectar or organic raw sugar
    Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
    1 14-oz. can chick peas, rinsed and drained
    Finely diced red onion, apple, or chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish

You'll also need:

1 pot of cooked jasmine rice

Instructions:

Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a medium size soup pot. Add the curry paste and stir briefly to season the oil. Add in the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, apples and sweet potato; stir and cook until softened, about 7 minutes.

Stir in the vegetable broth. Bring to a high simmer and then cover the pot; reduce the heat and simmer the soup, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.

Add the coconut milk, a squeeze of lime juice and a touch of agave or raw sugar. Stir with love. Taste for seasoning adjustments. Could it use more lime to tart it up a bit? A little salt and pepper?

Adjust the seasonings to your liking. Heat through gently; don't boil.

Puree the soup with a handheld immersion blender (you could also puree in small batches, covered tightly, in a blender or a food processor; hold the lid on, though as hot soup sputters and expands when it is blended). Return the puree to the soup pot.

Stir in the drained chick peas. Heat through on low heat until serving.

Note: If you prefer a little more texture, you can also puree only half the soup- or mash it lightly with a potato masher until you have the consistency you desire. Then add the chick peas and warm through.

Serve the mulligatawny with a garnish of diced red onion, apple or cilantro. Offer a side of hot cooked jasmine rice.

Add a spoonful of rice to the soup as you eat it. Delicious!
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My favorite is White Bean, Kale and Roasted Vegetable Soup, except I use black beans:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/White-Bean-Kale-and-Roasted-Vegetable-Soup-102844
  • 6spdeg
    Options
    these sound great TY
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Super simple and delicious:

Creamy Cauliflower Soup

- cook one head of cauliflower in salted water
    - transfer to blender and blend until smooth, in 2 or 3 stages
    - return to pot, add one cup of (Aroy-D) coconut milk and heat through, adding or adjusting seasonings to your taste (turmeric is a nice touch)

This makes at least 4 servings, so even though coconut milk seems high in calories, the finished product is definitely not.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    "Tomato Soup" Quick, easy and not too bad on calories.

1 cup 365 Organic Eggplant Pasta Sauce and 80 cal
    1/2 cup of Meyenburg Goat Milk 70 cal

Mix and put in microwave 'till hot.

total of 170 calories
  • samedame
    Options
    All of my recipes use on cube of bullion (chicken) that I get from BJs club in a bulk jar.

2 cup water + 1 cube bullion + 1 can black beans + some diced celery + some onion flakes + some coriander + some garlic powder + some red pepper (alter spices to taste, around 1/2-1 tsp on everything but the red pepper) Boil and done.

2 cup water + 1 cube bullion + 2 cup pumpkin puree + indian curry spice mix + add to sauteed onions and heat through and done.

2 cup water + 1 cube bullion = bring to boil + add paste of corn starch n water (around 1tbs starch or so) stir in until slightly thickened, = + drizzle in a whisked egg in a thin thread just after you turn off the heat, stirring gently = egg drop soup add pepper to the top when serving

1 cup water + 1 cup skim milk + 1 cube bullion + 1 head of oven roasted cauliflower bits (toss lightly with olive oil and dried thyme and a bit of salt and roast at 375 until roasted) blend it up with a hand blender right in the pot and done.

USE CHOBANI plain fat free on top of thick spicy soup for sour cream and serve with a salad = extreme low cal meal
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    2 cup water + 1 cube bullion + 1 can black beans + some diced celery + some onion flakes + some coriander + some garlic powder + some red pepper (alter spices to taste, around 1/2-1 tsp on everything but the red pepper) Boil and done.

You cook like I do .. some this, some that. :laugh:
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaand now I want soup.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    2 cans of vegetable broth, a chopped onion, one can of black beans, one can of white beans, and one can of kidney beans, one can of rotel tomatoes (mild). I am sure it is loaded with sodium, but it is quick, yummy and filling. You could add some type of meat or pasta if you want, but it is good just like this.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Allrecipes.com has any kind of soup you want,plus recipes for most anything else.

Scroll down to find the nutrition info.
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    African peanut stew:
    http://cookieandkate.com/2013/west-african-peanut-soup/

It's really really good. I DONT serve it with rice, and then I make more servings out of it by adding a ton of other veggies and like, double the collard greens. When I've made it it's been about 400-600 cals per serving but it is incredibly filling.

Also..
    Alton Brown's lentil soup, which I never thought I'd like:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lentil-soup-recipe/index.html

And I made this the other day without the cream toppings, and subbing butternut for acorn squash it was goood:
    http://www.tarteletteblog.com/2011/10/recipe-gluten-free-acorn-squash-sweet.html

Aaaaand

Carrot Onion Soup:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/08/alice-waters-carrot-soup-recipe.html
  • Happy525
    Options
    If you like turnips, try turnip soup. It was one of my grandmother's staples. You need 1 yellow wax turnip (peeled and cut into chunks), chicken broth, a few carrots (diced), 2 onions (diced) and a can of whole tomatoes in puree (cut into chunks with puree). Add everything together and cook until veggies are soft. Lastly, add about 2 cups cooked acini de pepe pasta (cook the pasta separate and then add to the soup). Top with a little grated cheese. Soup is fabulous!:smile:
  • aniucha83
    aniucha83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My favorite is "Sausage and Kale Soup". It's easy to make and delicious!!!

It's from: http://www.laurainthekitchen.com/recipes/sausage-and-kale-soup/

Ingredients:
    ½ lb of Italian Sausage, casing removed
    2 Tbsp of Oil
    1 Small Onion, chopped
    2 Ribs of Celery, chopped
    2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
    2 Carrots, peeled and diced
    1 15oz can of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1 15oz can of Chopped Tomatoes
    4 cups of Chicken Stock
    1 lb of Kale, rinsed, stems removed and cut into bite size pieces
    Salt and Pepper, to taste
    ½ cup of Freshly Grated Parmiggiano Reggiano (parmesan cheese)

Process,

1) Add the oil in a large soup pot and allow It to preheat over medium-high heat.

2) Add the sausage and brake it up a bit with your wooden spoon, allow it to cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until most of it has developed a golden brown color.

3) Add the celery, onion and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium and let the mixture cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the veggies have developed some good color and begin to cook down. Add the garlic and let it cook for 1 minute.

4) Add the chicken stock and canned tomatoes and increase the heat to medium high, allow the mixture to come to a boil.

5) Add the chickpeas and kale and let the soup cook for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese.

Serve immediately!
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump