Corn is not a vegetable

Options

Replies

• ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Corn sucks . In the Irish Famine they tried to feed to the people and they wouldn't eat it.

I refuse to eat it .

Oh yes it's a well known fact here in Ireland that while people were dying from starvation they refused to eat corn incase it spiked their sugar levels. Gotta watch out for all that demon high GI food! :noway:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Corn sucks . In the Irish Famine they tried to feed to the people and they wouldn't eat it.

I refuse to eat it .

Oh yes it's a well known fact here in Ireland that while people were dying from starvation they refused to eat corn incase it spiked their sugar levels. Gotta watch out for all that demon high GI food! :noway:
    Corn<Potato
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Corn is a grain and is not good for you..
    It's a high-glycemic grain

And...why exactly is it bad for you? If you don't have a medical condition like diabetes, it doesn't flippn' matter. Stop spouting nonsense...

Corn is fine...I eat corn at least once per week and usually twice...I also eat potatoes and rice and all sorts of other stuff that people like you like to demonize and I'm doing just fine losing my 40 Lbs and rockin' my blood work. Climb back into your hole.

I am almost choked on MY CORN reading this. LOL
  • StrictlyPro
    Options
    Hey remember that time someone with no understanding of nutritional science started a thread on the internet
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Corn is a grain and is not good for you..
    It's a high-glycemic grain

Lol. Well, if you are concerned with your glycemic count, then it's probably a food to limit or eliminate. If you are not, it probably doesn't matter. Although I believe it's true glycemic level increases the longer you wait to eat it after picking. I believe freshly picked corn (like that day) is much lower.

With that said, most corn I believe is gmo, so I will only eat organic.

Eta: and no one, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, will ever come between me and my popcorn! :bigsmile:

People have been playing with plant genetics since the beginning of time... isn't all food GMO at some level?

To quote Hamlet "A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a king, and cat of the fish that hath fed of that worm." ...

Basically once its introduced into the food chain, there ain't no stoppin it!

that is a f***ed up scary truth which pisses me the f off.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

I refuse to eat it .

Those stubborn Irish preferred to starve than eat yucky corn.

That isn't what happened, but I'm not surprised that you think it is.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I like my corn with butter and cajun seasoning... yum

OMG now that sounds amazing - now I must have corn. Thank you OP for starting this thread to help me get ideas for my corn!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Don't have the patience to read the whole thread so if someone already mentioned glycemic load, sorry for the redundancy.

While corn may be a grain and have a faaaairly high glycemic index (depending on its form), fresh corn also has a fairly LOW glycemic load. The glycemic load is more important than the index to most, because it addresses the density of the sugars and rate at which they are processed. Whole fresh anything that grows from the ground is almost always a good bet for nutrition and good nutrition is really pretty key to long-term success with weight loss. I've seen many cut corners with fats, carbs, etc but usually not forever.

Fresh watermelon, for instance, has a pretty high glycemic index too but because it's so watery, the density of sugars is low and watermelon is a really great low-calorie way to enjoy sweet tastes without all the processed junk.

Watermelon has a GL of 7. Corn has a GL of 17, which isn't really low, more of a moderate GL. A Twix candy bar also has a GL of 17, for example. Raisins have a GL of 28.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    FACT: 100% of the people who eat corn die.

Oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif
  • StrictlyPro
    Options
    - One medium-sized ear of corn provides over 10% of our daily requirement for dietary fiber.
    - Studies have shown that a high intake of lutein and zeaxanthin is associated with a significant reduction in the risk of a chronic eye disease called macular degeneration. Age-related macular degeneration (ARMD) is not some obscure medical condition - it is the leading cause of legal blindness among the elderly. According to the National Eye Institute, 6.5% of the population over 40 has symptoms of ARMD, for which there is no cure.
    - Lutein and zeaxanthin may also play a role in slowing the development of cataracts. Since lutein and zeaxanthin are the only carotenoids detectable in the lens, researchers believe that these powerful antioxidants may protect the clear proteins in the lens from undergoing the oxidation that causes them to become cloudy.
    - Corn contains beta-cryptoxanthin, another cousin of vitamin A that is being studied for its possible role in slowing bone loss associated with aging, reducing the risk of inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis as well as various forms of cancer, especially lung cancer.
    - Corn is a good source of the vitamin folate that supports cardiovascular health and significantly reduces the risk of neural tube birth defects.
    - Corn contributes thiamin (vitamin B1) that helps the body’s cells convert carbohydrates into energy. It is also essential for the proper functioning of the heart, muscles, and nervous system

broscience!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I hate corn. I like pop corn though.

Oh dyslexia, how I love you.

I read this as, "I hate corn. I like corn poop though."
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I like corn and friends who like corn, please ad me if you like corn =)
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    03b.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

source?
  • s3girl
    s3girl Posts: 14 Member
    Options

source?

Life.

Anyway...

Corn is "bad" because it's mostly carbs with little dietary fiber. So, for those following Keto or Paleo or whatever other low carb diet, corn isn't going to help you with your daily intake goals. As far as glycemic load, yes, fresh corn (or rather, unprocessed corn) is relatively low as is its fat content. Surprisingly, there's even some protein in there.

Corn isn't bad unless you're eating it as a sweetener.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2415/2
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    We eat it like a vegetable and so since it's about twice the calories as beans, peas, carrots, I really limit my consumption of it.
  • cminhp
    Options
    What do you use to fatten up cattle? CORN
    Get educated
    Most corn is gmo
    Grains are not an essential nutrient ....no one needs them to survive
  • smoothandfast
    smoothandfast Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just ate an ear of corn and I LOVED IT! :laugh:
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Well, DUH...just like tomatoes are not a vegetable either.

Being diabetic makes it important to me to research foods. I don't eat canned but go with fresh. If I have corn, I don't have potato or another starchy food. Sugar levels stay good...I'm happy...enough said.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What do you use to fatten up cattle? CORN
    Get educated
    Most corn is gmo
    Grains are not an essential nutrient ....no one needs them to survive
    LMAO

Do you have any idea how MUCH cattle eats???? And it isn't fat they want. It's muscle. That piece of steak you eat is muscle. You can't even chew the fat.

Also, horses eat apples, carrots, grains and grass. They are also not fat. They are muscular.

You also don't need meat to survive. I;ve lived the last four years very healthy without it. I guess meat is evil and bad for you, too. You better stop eating it if you do.