Corn is not a vegetable

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Op, this may be of interest to you as well:

Blood Sugar Benefits

Given its good fiber content, its ability to provide many B-complex vitamins including vitamins B1, B5 and folic acid, and its notable protein content (about 5-6 grams per cup), corn is a food that would be expected to provide blood sugar benefits. Fiber and protein are key macronutrients for stabilizing the passage of food through our digestive tract. Sufficient fiber and protein content in a food helps prevent too rapid or too slow digestion of that food. By evening out the pace of digestion, protein and fiber also help prevent too rapid or too slow uptake of sugar from the digestive tract up into the bloodstream. Once the uptake of sugar is steadied, it is easier to avoid sudden spikes or drops in blood sugar.

Consumption of corn in ordinary amounts of 1-2 cups has been shown to be associated with better blood sugar control in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Fasting glucose and fasting insulin levels have been used to verify these blood sugar benefits. Interestingly, in elementary school-age and teenage youths already diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, whole grain cornbread has emerged in one study as the whole grain food with the highest acceptability among all whole grain foods. Youth participants in the study who consumed whole grain cornbread were also less likely to consume fast foods.

Source: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=90
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Thank you for the Public Service Announcement. Off to pick some fresh corn out of the garden for dinner. But you are correct...I will not count it as my veggie. :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    I love corn popped in coconut oil with some butter on it. So good!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    dog_with_human_hands_eats_corn-4797.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    noun
    1. any plant whose fruit, seeds, roots, tubers, bulbs, stems, leaves, or flower parts are used as food, as the tomato, bean, beet, potato, onion, asparagus, spinach, or cauliflower.

Wait a minute, doesn't chocolate come from a plant?

No, not chocolate. But the cocoa bean does.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Corn is delicious. Candy is delicious too. Candy Corn... well...

Doesn't matter, because I am diabetic and can have NONE of it. :(
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    i <3 corn.

hahahhaa. makes me think of fat *kitten*.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    I like my corn with butter and cajun seasoning... yum
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    noun
    1. any plant whose fruit, seeds, roots, tubers, bulbs, stems, leaves, or flower parts are used as food, as the tomato, bean, beet, potato, onion, asparagus, spinach, or cauliflower.

Is that close enough to be able to have it in salad?
  • It is grown from the ground and not made in a factory. This is all that matters to me :tongue:
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    GMO-corn.jpg
  • I love korn

takes me back

"freak on a leash"

So basically, this, in reverse:

h9D20CDEE
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Corn is a grain and is not good for you..
    It's a high-glycemic grain

Lol. Well, if you are concerned with your glycemic count, then it's probably a food to limit or eliminate. If you are not, it probably doesn't matter. Although I believe it's true glycemic level increases the longer you wait to eat it after picking. I believe freshly picked corn (like that day) is much lower.

With that said, most corn I believe is gmo, so I will only eat organic.

Eta: and no one, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, will ever come between me and my popcorn! :bigsmile:

People have been playing with plant genetics since the beginning of time... isn't all food GMO at some level?

To quote Hamlet "A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a king, and cat of the fish that hath fed of that worm." ...

Basically once its introduced into the food chain, there ain't no stoppin it!
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Corn sucks . In the Irish Famine they tried to feed to the people and they wouldn't eat it.

I refuse to eat it .
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Watch this documentary: King Corn
  • bcattoes
    noun

Is that close enough to be able to have it in salad?

Certainly.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Corn sucks .

I refuse to eat it .
    I am not surprised by this.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    My Dad called it pig food and wouldn't touch it and consequently we rarely ate it when I was a kid.

I love it, especially the fresh picked corn that's abundant around here in the summer. With butter. Mmmmmm.
    I also occasionally eat popcorn. It's a nice snack.

It's bad for the gaps in my teeth, though. That drives me nuts.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Don't have the patience to read the whole thread so if someone already mentioned glycemic load, sorry for the redundancy.

While corn may be a grain and have a faaaairly high glycemic index (depending on its form), fresh corn also has a fairly LOW glycemic load. The glycemic load is more important than the index to most, because it addresses the density of the sugars and rate at which they are processed. Whole fresh anything that grows from the ground is almost always a good bet for nutrition and good nutrition is really pretty key to long-term success with weight loss. I've seen many cut corners with fats, carbs, etc but usually not forever.

Fresh watermelon, for instance, has a pretty high glycemic index too but because it's so watery, the density of sugars is low and watermelon is a really great low-calorie way to enjoy sweet tastes without all the processed junk.

Speaking of processed junk, the further your corn is away from its original, fresh, whole state, the less likely it is to nourish you and the more likely it is to mess with your weight loss. Nacho-cheese Doritos, for instance, will not have the same health benefits as whole popped corn. Choose your carbs wisely, but do eat carbs! The more complex and natural, the better.
  • bcattoes
    Corn sucks . In the Irish Famine they tried to feed to the people and they wouldn't eat it.

I refuse to eat it .

I have no idea why but this post made me LOL. I keep going back and reading it and loving it more each time. Good stuff.