Do young adults in the UK not want to work?

Options

Replies

• kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Why would it not be acceptable to wear jeans to an interview for a slightly above minimum wage job?

Jeans is never acceptable for a job interview. Dress for the position you want is what I have always been told.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a fun interesting topic I hope it doesnt get locked. All age groups can fall into this category though. I've had older adults come into an interview in jeans and atrocious spelling on the application on the spelling. Now some english wasn't their first language and I wasnt hiring for the CEO of a company, but some were just downright lazy.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I can see this bad boy getting locked...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Why would it not be acceptable to wear jeans to an interview for a slightly above minimum wage job?

Jeans is never acceptable for a job interview. Dress for the position you want is what I have always been told.

What if the position is for selling jeans? Or construction? Or working in a warehouse. Oh wait. I'm pretty sure those would pay better. Never mind.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

What if the position is for selling jeans? Or construction? Or working in a warehouse. Oh wait. I'm pretty sure those would pay better. Never mind.

I'd think if you are applying for a pretty blue collar jeans kind of job that a nice pair of slacks and a polo would be acceptable. It's always better to overdress than under dress for an interview. One could also ask the interviewer what sort of attire would be appropriate.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Right, because I've never ever met a lazy older person who works the system because they don't want a job.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I've seen a fair few older and younger people with the lazy bone built into them just that the older ones have learnt to hide a bit better.
  • BeachIron
    Options

I'd think if you are applying for a pretty blue collar jeans kind of job that a nice pair of slacks and a polo would be acceptable. It's always better to overdress than under dress for an interview. One could also ask the interviewer what sort of attire would be appropriate.

I'm pretty sure that if you are interviewing for a job, you should probably ask people who work in that field what to wear. That was really my point. This thread started with a wild generalization and it just seem to be continuing with words like "never appropriate." Okay, in my field, one better show up in a well fitting suit and tie, along with polished shoes, at least if it's for an experienced position. Of course, for the kids coming right out of school, we cut them a heck of a lot of slack. We honestly want to see that they're trying to dress appropriately, but we also know that many of them just spent several years living on ramen noodles and mortgaging their future income to the hilt with student loans. It's a far cry from barely above minimum wage though, and I can't see requiring people to spend money dressing up when you're paying them barely enough to eat. There's a bit of balance there, IMHO.

I'd also say that one of the cheapest "perks" an employer can provide to their employees is cutting them a tad bit of slack when it comes to dress code.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a fun interesting topic I hope it doesnt get locked. All age groups can fall into this category though. I've had older adults come into an interview in jeans and atrocious spelling on the application on the spelling. Now some english wasn't their first language and I wasnt hiring for the CEO of a company, but some were just downright lazy.

I too have enjoyed the thread. Great conversation and don't see any reason why it should get locked up until now.

BTW, I LIVE by your list. I taught my children to dress up for any interview and I do not believe they have ever been turned down.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I am very fortunate in that I have a business that is relatively successful in the UK

This last few weeks I have been holding interviews to fill a position..the wage is only slightly above minimum wage, but, it is a little above.

I am looking to train this person up into a better skill.

I have not been looking for a rocket scientist or brain surgeon, just someone that would seem to have reliability and some work ethic.

5 people never bothered to turn up for the interviews...3 were late... 1 had the mother phone up to make an excuse.. a few people turned up wearing jeans....2 people actually told me they had to come for the interviews or they would lose their entitlement to social security benefits...

I was hoping to try to help someone from benefits into the workplace. Is it that young adults do not want to work?
    Honestly? I think you need to rethink your approach. Whether you realize it or not, you're trying to take advantage of someone by underpaying them. In fact, your offer of "training into a better skill set" could be easily interpreted as increased responsibility for which you're likely unwilling to pay. Regardless of course of study or present circumstances, most people seem to have a fundamental grasp of market economics (ask anyone who's ever tried to buy or sell a house), and will act accordingly.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Most young adults in the UK have jobs. So no, I would not say that they don't want to work. Sorry your application pool has not borne fruit for you yet.
  • adioschubs
    adioschubs Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Someone want to hire a Canadian gal? I've been actively searching for work since May :P
  • ldrosophila
    Options

I'm pretty sure that if you are interviewing for a job, you should probably ask people who work in that field what to wear. That was really my point. This thread started with a wild generalization and it just seem to be continuing with words like "never appropriate." Okay, in my field, one better show up in a well fitting suit and tie, along with polished shoes, at least if it's for an experienced position. Of course, for the kids coming right out of school, we cut them a heck of a lot of slack. We honestly want to see that they're trying to dress appropriately, but we also know that many of them just spent several years living on ramen noodles and mortgaging their future income to the hilt with student loans. It's a far cry from barely above minimum wage though, and I can't see requiring people to spend money dressing up when you're paying them barely enough to eat. There's a bit of balance there, IMHO.

I'd also say that one of the cheapest "perks" an employer can provide to their employees is cutting them a tad bit of slack when it comes to dress code.

curious so you have two young applicants come in both have relatively similar experiences first applicant comes in jeans and sneakers, and the second ironed slacks with a pair of outdated but polished loafers.

Does this factor into the weight of your decision at all?

For me, I might tend towards the applicant in the slacks, but that's based on dress alone.
  • BeachIron
    Options

curious so you have two young applicants come in both have relatively similar experiences first applicant comes in jeans and sneakers, and the second ironed slacks with a pair of outdated but polished loafers.

Does this factor into the weight of your decision at all?

For me, I might tend towards the applicant in the slacks, but that's based on dress alone.

For me? Honestly? Again, it would depend on the position. If it was for my line of work, then I'd be less than impressed with either one, and would be inclined to conclude that they're not taking the interview seriously. That said, as I said above, it is unwise to generalize to all jobs when speaking of interviewing. Showing up overdressed is not always a good move.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I am very fortunate in that I have a business that is relatively successful in the UK

This last few weeks I have been holding interviews to fill a position..the wage is only slightly above minimum wage, but, it is a little above.

I have not been looking for a rocket scientist or brain surgeon, just someone that would seem to have reliability and some work ethic.

5 people never bothered to turn up for the interviews...3 were late... 1 had the mother phone up to make an excuse.. a few people turned up wearing jeans....2 people actually told me they had to come for the interviews or they would lose their entitlement to social security benefits...

I was hoping to try to help someone from benefits into the workplace. Is it that young adults do not want to work?

Firstly, that is a really rude and sweeping statement. Sure there are people who don't want to work, but they range from the age of entiltement to benefits through to state pension age - it is not purely a 'young person' problem.

Do you know why those 5 people didn't turn up? Personal problems, finding other work etc. It isn't always as clear cut as "they can't be bothered".
    Did you ask why those 3 were late?
    Did you just automatically assume that person's mother was making an excuse?
    Did you wonder why those people couldn't afford to get proper interview clothes, or why they never had help in interview prepping?

Maybe the problem isn't those people, but yourself in not asking, or for outside factors not preparing them for such environments.

Plus, most unemployed 'young' people I know aren't looking for training - most of them already have qualifications from college or univerisity and want to do something in that field, something they will enjoy and will make them happy. Yes, it is easier to find work while in employment, but not a lot of people want to join a company and do something they won't enjoy in the hopes of finding something better.

LOL. way to go. you have just epitomized everything that is wrong with our generation. blame everyone and take no responsibility for your actions.

Actually, since I turned 16 I have only been 'unemployed' for three months on maternity.
    I have never received benefits.
    I am currently working.
    I have unertaken lots of training to ensure I have widened my employment possibilities - call centre work, bar training, lifeguarding courses etc.
    I have applied for over 60 jobs since graduation in June and had 2 interviews.

It's not always as clear cut as "young people can't be bothered".

THANK. YOU!!
    I am so sick of people that stereotype Millennials as lazy or not wanting to work. I'm sorry, but if 16-17% of the people are under or unemployed (rate in the US last I checked), maybe it's a problem with the system, not the people, hmm?
  • BeachIron
    Options

Firstly, that is a really rude and sweeping statement. Sure there are people who don't want to work, but they range from the age of entiltement to benefits through to state pension age - it is not purely a 'young person' problem.

Do you know why those 5 people didn't turn up? Personal problems, finding other work etc. It isn't always as clear cut as "they can't be bothered".
    Did you wonder why those people couldn't afford to get proper interview clothes, or why they never had help in interview prepping?

Maybe the problem isn't those people, but yourself in not asking, or for outside factors not preparing them for such environments.

Plus, most unemployed 'young' people I know aren't looking for training - most of them already have qualifications from college or univerisity and want to do something in that field, something they will enjoy and will make them happy. Yes, it is easier to find work while in employment, but not a lot of people want to join a company and do something they won't enjoy in the hopes of finding something better.

LOL. way to go. you have just epitomized everything that is wrong with our generation. blame everyone and take no responsibility for your actions.

Actually, since I turned 16 I have only been 'unemployed' for three months on maternity.
    I have never received benefits.
    I am currently working.
    I have unertaken lots of training to ensure I have widened my employment possibilities - call centre work, bar training, lifeguarding courses etc.
    I have applied for over 60 jobs since graduation in June and had 2 interviews.

It's not always as clear cut as "young people can't be bothered".

THANK. YOU!!
    I am so sick of people that stereotype Millennials as lazy or not wanting to work. I'm sorry, but if 16-17% of the people are under or unemployed (rate in the US last I checked), maybe it's a problem with the system, not the people, hmm?

Look. There are certain people in every generation that complain bitterly about the younger generation coming up. It's basically a right of passage. Ignore it. People who can't treat others as individuals have problems in a variety of ways, and it is often best to just give their opinions the zero consideration that they deserve. We did the same in my generation, Gen X. Video games and skateboarding were going to end the world back then, FFS.
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    not read all the replies but have to say i dont see it like this,
    where i work we recently started a new business in parts of london, and with new staff levels at over 1000, 50% are in the age range of 18-24,
    these young men and women do a lot of outdoor work, and surprisingly staff retention is very high considering they have been out in sun, rain, snow and pretty much every type of weather conditions except a hurricane

the reason i believe is simple, as a company we mainly look to internal promotions to fill more senior roles,
    they know that its a job where they have serious career prospects rather than simply being stuck in low wage, labour intensive roles,
    the motivation to work and succeed is based on the knowledge that it can pay off,

i have seen young guys and girls come into the workplace with attitudes, low work ethics,baseball caps, and they swagger in like they need to establish a aura of cockyness to make a statement, but once given a little motivation, confidence and an achievable goal, they turn into amazing young people who team lead 40+ members of staff with a confidence and surety that is a million miles from the person who walked in the door,

also, to say that a job advertised as barely above minimum wage, for young people, and i assume who are being sent from social security offices to an interview, then honestly you are not going to be getting stephen fry or brian cox turning up,
    you need to sell it to these people that it is a worthwhile job, they can do well and achieve something, and give them something that they generally lack and which holds them back, confidence in the wider world,

basically in my own personal experience (which i will admit is limited), yes young people want to work, but i guess they want a job that is worth doing and where they see a way forward to better things,
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Yes the problem IS with the non attenders.

If someone has been given an interview time and they are going to be late or if they have found another job and won't be attending or if they can't attend for some reason, you seem to think the interviewer should contact them.
    NO....it is a simply case of manners that these people should have contacted the interviewer to explain their lateness or non attendance.

Turning up having obviously not taken any heed of your appearance is disrespectful....not just to the potential employer but to yourself. Why would the interviewer think you would care about doing a good job if you don't care about how you appear.

Too many people think they know it all and that having gained some sort of qualification prepares them for the real world.....it doesn't.

If you don't give respect you won't get any.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    It so makes me wonder why a young adult would not want to get into the workplace and have a steady wage coming in?

It's because they all feel entitled like the world owes them everything.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Most young adults in the UK have jobs. So no, I would not say that they don't want to work. Sorry your application pool has not borne fruit for you yet.

That, I'm afraid, is not the case. Many young adults do have jobs but to say 'most' is wishful thinking.