Female users with 'mommy' or 'wifey' in name

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't think that fitness web site user names were ever intended to be taken that seriously. Usually people just choose them on a whim, with an intent of being anonymous, just to quickly sign up and figure out what this web site is all about. lmao
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    My daughter's name is Sophie so I'm Sophiemama ;) why? because I tried about 50 different variations on here with my name and it didn't work! My name is Amber, guess how many Amber's there are!? A lot! ehh I love being a mommy, I'm not sure why it matters.

^^^ This exactly. My first name's Dawn and it's common enough where I couldn't come up with a fun user name. My daughter's name was much easier to work into a user name that wasn't already taken. Plus, I honestly didn't think I'd be around long enough to have to worry about it that much, as I always failed "dieting" before. :blushing:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    When I first joined here my name was mama2sethandolivia but changed it because I am more than a mom. However when I first joined I was in such a funk that all I was, was a wife and mom, now I'm a lot more than that, I always was but never seen it as such. My name now sounds bad but it isn't. I crochet and love it. So I'm a hooker, but not a dirty one haha!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I think it's silly. The photos in which someone is posing with her boyfriend or spouse are equally lame.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Good lord. You missed the point.

And I'm not going to touch that you chose your pet's name as your username with a 10 foot pole. Of course you don't identify with your dog as your identity or a food product. My gawd! Some people need to take an intro to sociology class stat! Please learn how the world around you works. Otherwise we cannot debate. Thank you.

:laugh:

Well, like I said earlier, I don't post the details of my education/personal life online, so I'll just laugh at your assumptions and attempts to condescend instead.

:laugh:

Now that I'm done chuckling, you missed the point. I get the basics of why it can be seen as problematic for a woman to identify only as a wife or a mother. I'm challenging the 1990's sociology that being a mom means identifying through a man. Not so much, not necessarily. A society with patriarchal influences can cause many things, but it doesn't cause the love a parent has for a child. If someone has lost herself so much that she can't think of what defines here BESIDES her kids, that's a problem. Choosing a screen name with your kid's name or with "mom" in the title on a silly fitness board because of pride, joy, or whatever else is not defining self through a man.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    And what's with females over 18, sometimes well over, referring to themselves as "girls"?
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Anyway, to all the mamas, if (as OP suggested) your entire life is your children and became your entire person to the extent where you take great pride in announcing it on a forum ~ kudos to you!!! That's admirable! And to the husbands and wives who are so madly in love that they want to announce it on a forum ~ kudos to you!!!

Personally, I am obsessed with Nancy Sinatra's song...'cause I don't have any children or marriage.

^^^^
    Agree! I don't even see how that's an issue. To each his own, everyone is entitled to an opinion but... Subservient?! Nothing like labeling people. :flowerforyou: I'll take Mom and Wifey any day of the week.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about that? I am not sure how I feel. Why cant a woman be her own person on a fitness website? Why does she have to define herself as a mommy or a wifey? I dont see any daddios or hubbies!

I don't see anything wrong with it. Being a wife or mother is an honorable and important role.

Frankly your implied denigration of something so staggering important by suggesting that people are selling themselves short by identifying as one is sounds more sexist to me than someone picking a screen name with 'mom' in it.

It basically comes across as "Oh you're a Mom? meh, what ELSE are you? Come back when you can put Scientist in your screen name."

Stop telling people who are perfectly happy that they're oppressing themselves. It's obnoxious and misguided.

No. Being a good mother is honorable. Getting pregnant and having a child is easy, especial given medical advances.

You really can't compare the achievement of being a PhD to being a mom.

That's kind of the point of the social sciences man. To look into why we work the way we do. No one said anything about telling people they're oppressing themselves, just that it's guided by an underlying patriarchal system.

Ignorant comment is ignorant.

Getting pregnant and having a child is easy??!! Having a degree is BETTER than being a mom?! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me you didn't just say that!

i think they mean its harder getting a PHD than it is raising a child since raising is a child is innate. we've been raising children for thousands of years.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Also, and I apologize if I am mistaken and this wasn't you, but the last user picture I saw from you was a close up of your (beautiful and quite nicely shaped) breasts, so please don't judge women by what they choose to represent themselves on MFP. Unless you want to argue that women and their breasts and how society views all of that is unrelated to men. :ohwell:
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    And yeah, you can define yourself as you like. But wouldn't UpperMiddleClassWhiteWoman say something about how I saw myself, especially in relation to the world around me? It's not about what you "like", it's about how you identify. And making the most obvious aspect of your identity being your role as a mom or wife says something about how you choose to identify yourself - through a man.

What about single moms who got pregnant through artificial insemination or chose to become pregnant knowing they wouldn't have help from the father? I know it sounds terribly cheesy, but I think when people choose a screen name about their kids, it's usually just that they love them that much or get the most fulfillment from their role as mom. Some people thrive on being nurturers. Others thrive on being CEO's. We need 'em all.

I apparently identify as non-dairy milk. But if I had only one pet, I would have chosen my pet's name. When I fill out paperwork that actually identifies me, I use my full first and last name, and when people address wedding invites to Mrs. His Name, I be sure to RSVP with both of our full names.

Good lord. You missed the point.

And I'm not going to touch that you chose your pet's name as your username with a 10 foot pole. Of course you don't identify with your dog as your identity or a food product. My gawd! Some people need to take an intro to sociology class stat! Please learn how the world around you works. Otherwise we cannot debate. Thank you.

For the record, I absolutely agree that your point is a valid possibility. (I minored in Soc. so I know what's up. :P) I would even wager that in a lot of cases it's completely on point. What i disagree with in the general thread is what appears to me** to be the idea that this is the case often enough that it should automatically color our perception of the person. There have been a few specific cases mentioned where that isn't the case, so I think we err when we rush to presume to know so much about someone based on such a little thing as a profile name.

**Bold added to emphasize that I recognize that I'm working from my own presumptions here, and could be completely wrong.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I think people put too much stock in MFP usernames.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

i think they mean its harder getting a PHD than it is raising a child since raising is a child is innate. we've been raising children for thousands of years.

Well, yes, raising a child has been around for awhile. People have the aptitude to be great parents, but it requires tons of effort. It's hard, hard work. People have been progressing and evolving and striving as long as kids have been born. Getting a PhD is just our society's recognition/version of it, but the nature of what it takes to get one is also nothing new. Learning, striving, proving oneself, nothing new there either.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    And what's with females over 18, sometimes well over, referring to themselves as "girls"?

And since we're off subject anyway, what about referring to boobs as "the girls" :smile:
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    It doesn't bother me at all. It is their name - not mine or yours... they don't mind so we don't matter in the respect of their profile name. :flowerforyou:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just used my real name. Binary Pulsar is my real name.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

Well, yes, raising a child has been around for awhile. People have the aptitude to be great parents, but it requires tons of effort. It's hard, hard work. People have been progressing and evolving and striving as long as kids have been born. Getting a PhD is just our society's recognition/version of it, but the nature of what it takes to get one is also nothing new. Learning, striving, proving oneself, nothing new there either.

take the average person off the street and see which one is easier for them. my guess is raising a child.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I use to be MommyWhore69
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    You know what else is lame and problematic? When a woman invokes her boyfriend/husband etc etc as soon as you talk to her about ANYTHING whatsoever in whatever context. Geez woman relax!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    I just used my real name. Binary Pulsar is my real name.

nice butt!
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

take the average person off the street and see which one is easier for them. my guess is raising a child.

I hope not.
This discussion has been closed.