Female users with 'mommy' or 'wifey' in name

Options

Replies

• TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see what the big deal is, if someone wants mama or mom or wife or hubby in their name, let it be, it ain't hurting you so why get butt hurt over it?
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I suppose people can take on whatever identity they like. I don't like the idea of allowing myself to become the wife of or the mother of rather than myself, so I married a wonderful supportive man who thinks likewise and I will never have kids (for thousands of reasons). But whatever floats your boat. Or something PC like that.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a mom... :huh:

I'm not really a chocolate bear
    Lies, lies, lies.

I melt in your mouth not your hands wait what
    Let's try both.

I'll get some napkins
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    TBH, I'd try for a PhD over being a mother any day. Hats off to all the mothers on here, you're doing something I never could!
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

You really can't compare the achievement of being a PhD to being a mom.

Can't agree with that, unless of course you are not good at being a mom or dad. The average mom will put more blood, sweat, tears, pain, fear, time, and money into raising a child than someone will getting a PhD.

Agree to disagree. I'm not going to go into why getting a PhD is a greater achievement because I know I'll step on some feelings, especially in a mom abundant thread.

Do you have a child and PhD?

Cause unless you've answered yes to BOTH, you probably shouldn't be comparing things you have yet to experience.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You can't presume to know how someone defines themselves by a username.

My username is the same one I use everywhere. It's my name with my son and husband's first initials. Honestly, I'm not that creative so I state the obvious.

As far as defining myself, they are the two most important people in my life so there's that, but I also work full time running an office for a metal roofing manufacturer. I go to school part time working towards a PHD in mathematics, with a minor in actuarial sciences. I lift weights. I'm a runner. I love bacon and steak. None of these things define me. I think of it more as the pieces of who I am.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

maybe for some low level social science degree but for degrees in science/math etc....an average person has little chance. but like i said before an average person has a much greater chance of being able to raise a child.

But is that really greater achievement if based on innate intelligence? Of course it's an achievement. It may make the person smarter. But the average person isn't going to land a magazine cover or have elite sports level abilities. Those people have gifts and have to put the effort in. A role that's more common and accessible doesn't make it less of an achievement. I know I worked for my education and career, but I know my friends that are parents work way harder than I did.

then obviously your education wasnt that challenging. im talking about advanced degrees in science.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    As I said before, having a child is easy, being a parent is not. So let us not compare a PhD to having a kid, cuz PhD wins. But when we compare PhD to being a parent, its a different comparison.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options

You've actually proven my point but don't really realize it. Can you please point out where I slut shamed you? I don't care what your user picture is in the same way I don't care if another woman's user name is that she is someone's mom. I don't define your body by men, and I don't define a mom through a man either. That is the point.

I wasn't trying to personally attack you and so won't apologize for it. I wasn't even trying to point out the hypocrisy of your words. I was illustrating to you how the rationale you used is pretty far reaching if we're going to apply it liberally.

Does your personal attack mean that you know nothing about what we're talking about?

Yes. That was me. I put up rather lovely username with my kids' names. It has nothing to do with men. I have children and find plenty of affirmation about myself outside of the internet (I live in Manhattan for Christ's sake!). I'm allowed to love and be proud of my children and I actually do identify with my kids as something that I've always loved about myself and my life.

:flowerforyou:

PS: The normalization of breasts is something that I think would do wonders for female youth. Display 'em all you want. I think that everyone should have checked under their shirts when they recoiled from JJ's nipple. If girls didn't grow up with the mixed messages about breasts being simultaneously shameful and something to display and be evaluated on, they'd be a lot better off. I don't consider that slutty. I also don't care what people do with their sex lives as long as they aren't hurting anyone, so slut really isn't in my vocab.

Slut shaming was implied in saying that I shouldn't judge other people lest I be judged myself. While you didn't specifically call me a slut, you implied that my picture was something I needed to worry about being judged over.

While I understand your point, you can't simply replace the context.

The difference is that my breasts are part of my body. There is legitimately no man involved in whether I do or do not show my breasts. They are part of me. A person's role as a mother involves someone else that they are placing in their identity before themselves. My boobs are part of my body, but they are not an entity separate from me.

And while I can showcase my boobs in my profile picture, I have a feeling it would be different if they were in my username. It's a valid point if my username was Emma'sBoobs. But it's not. A username is more of a show of identity than a picture and I switch mine around often.

So yes, while I see your point and trying to find it as hypocrisy they aren't a role or relation to another person. My identity cannot be defined by them and I don't refer to myself in relation to them. It's simply a picture showcasing my boobs.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    When I became a mom, I did become someone else. I didn't lose my identity entirely, but I was not the person I was before my child, I am lots of things, but being a mom is my most important job and forever will be.

This.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    What is your feeling regarding mac & cheese in one's screen name?

You're obviously subservient to Mac and Cheese. Please become your own person.

Lol! :laugh:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    As I said before, having a child is easy, being a parent is not. So let us not compare a PhD to having a kid, cuz PhD wins. But when we compare PhD to being a parent, its a different comparison.

Really? Try having a very complicated pregnancy, that isn't hard? Try being on bed rest through the entire pregnancy because one wrong move could kill your child. Trust me, not all the time, having a child is really hard and very emotional. Try going through PPD after having a child that you've longed for. Neither of my pregnancies were easy, my first birth was hard my 2nd was easier because I scheduled a c-section. Yes parenting is a major job, but so is carrying a child.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I dont care. It makes no difference in my life.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options

You really can't compare the achievement of being a PhD to being a mom.

Can't agree with that, unless of course you are not good at being a mom or dad. The average mom will put more blood, sweat, tears, pain, fear, time, and money into raising a child than someone will getting a PhD.

Agree to disagree. I'm not going to go into why getting a PhD is a greater achievement because I know I'll step on some feelings, especially in a mom abundant thread.

Do you have a child and PhD?

Cause unless you've answered yes to BOTH, you probably shouldn't be comparing things you have yet to experience.

Have you?

I can compare being run over by a car and breaking my nose without having either of those experiences. You don't need to actively experience something to objectively compare it to other things.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Oooh I like this too.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    And don't accuse me of condescension about education when you told me to take an entry level soc class and learn how the world works so you can debate with me. Your privilege is showing. :tongue: (That last part was just to be a total *kitten*. But you got called out on it, deal with it.)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

You've actually proven my point but don't really realize it. Can you please point out where I slut shamed you? I don't care what your user picture is in the same way I don't care if another woman's user name is that she is someone's mom. I don't define your body by men, and I don't define a mom through a man either. That is the point.

I wasn't trying to personally attack you and so won't apologize for it. I wasn't even trying to point out the hypocrisy of your words. I was illustrating to you how the rationale you used is pretty far reaching if we're going to apply it liberally.

Does your personal attack mean that you know nothing about what we're talking about?

Yes. That was me. I put up rather lovely username with my kids' names. It has nothing to do with men. I have children and find plenty of affirmation about myself outside of the internet (I live in Manhattan for Christ's sake!). I'm allowed to love and be proud of my children and I actually do identify with my kids as something that I've always loved about myself and my life.

:flowerforyou:

PS: The normalization of breasts is something that I think would do wonders for female youth. Display 'em all you want. I think that everyone should have checked under their shirts when they recoiled from JJ's nipple. If girls didn't grow up with the mixed messages about breasts being simultaneously shameful and something to display and be evaluated on, they'd be a lot better off. I don't consider that slutty. I also don't care what people do with their sex lives as long as they aren't hurting anyone, so slut really isn't in my vocab.

Slut shaming was implied in saying that I shouldn't judge other people lest I be judged myself. While you didn't specifically call me a slut, you implied that my picture was something I needed to worry about being judged over.

While I understand your point, you can't simply replace the context.

The difference is that my breasts are part of my body. There is legitimately no man involved in whether I do or do not show my breasts. They are part of me. A person's role as a mother involves someone else that they are placing in their identity before themselves. My boobs are part of my body, but they are not an entity separate from me.

And while I can showcase my boobs in my profile picture, I have a feeling it would be different if they were in my username. It's a valid point if my username was Emma'sBoobs. But it's not. A username is more of a show of identity than a picture and I switch mine around often.

So yes, while I see your point and trying to find it as hypocrisy they aren't a role or relation to another person. My identity cannot be defined by them and I don't refer to myself in relation to them. It's simply a picture showcasing my boobs.

Depends on how many drinks are had IMO.
  • chubbybword123
    chubbybword123 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just changed my name for this thread. I am feeling very subservient now. Thank you.

LOL!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

maybe for some low level social science degree but for degrees in science/math etc....an average person has little chance. but like i said before an average person has a much greater chance of being able to raise a child.

But is that really greater achievement if based on innate intelligence? Of course it's an achievement. It may make the person smarter. But the average person isn't going to land a magazine cover or have elite sports level abilities. Those people have gifts and have to put the effort in. A role that's more common and accessible doesn't make it less of an achievement. I know I worked for my education and career, but I know my friends that are parents work way harder than I did.

then obviously your education wasnt that challenging. im talking about advanced degrees in science.

Thinking of some of the people I know who have advanced degrees in science and math, they'd suck at being parents and would probably find it harder. (Others in my program found it more challenging. The point is that you can't be brave without fear. Is the naturally gifted Olympic athlete more awe inspiring or honorable than the person who surfs with one arm?)
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    People who put mom in their name: Proud mothers
    People who put wifey or whatever in them: Proud taken women.

'nuff said. :P lol
This discussion has been closed.