Could you give up Meat?

Replies

• da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    hell-no.gif
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    I was a vegan for a large portion of last year then pescatarian -dairy because I wasn't meeting my protein needs. I ate fish but no meat and no animal products. I had to go back to meat eating when I came to Japan because there simply aren't enough meat replacement options. I still try to stick to soy milk and yoghurt. I personally don't like dairy much.

If I were in the US or back in the UK I could happily go back to eating like that. Especially in the US where milk contains all sorts of god-knows-what.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    I was vegetarian for a year and I loved it. I eventually gave it up because it's just to hard to cater to myself and to my family.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    nope.
  • There are some pretty good vegan (and raw) cheese replacements
    LIES. All lies!
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    There are some pretty good vegan (and raw) cheese replacements
    LIES. All lies!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?! Hahah, well, yeah - no replacement cheese will ever be able to compare to real cheese, but Daiya makes a good attempt, and nutritional yeast. I. LOVE. nutritional yeast.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Yes - never really liked it too much. I like all of the seasonings on the meat more than the taste of plain meat itself. :-P Tofu meat is fine with me! There are some pretty good vegan (and raw) cheese replacements, oil, etc. I have worried about B12 (I'm vegan, btw) and implemented a mixture of spirulina (kinda seaweedy, so I take capsules) and nutritional yeast to compensate! ...I LOVE nutritional yeast.

I love nutritional yeast!
  • VeganLexi
    There are some pretty good vegan (and raw) cheese replacements
    LIES. All lies!

:laugh:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    If it was just not available anymore to me I think I would manage just fine. But i do not have the personal conviction neccessary to abstain. When I see bacon, boneless wings, or Steak, all i think is "yup, I want that".
  • paulh3nry
    paulh3nry Posts: 13 Member
    I have to admit that I have seriously been considering it. Between having a Vegetarian for a fiance and recently watching a documentary called "Forks Over Knives" it has really pushed me towards the edge of giving it up or at least giving it a try.

That being said, I am not sure I am capable of doing it. I simply like meat too much not too mention I generally need between 150 g to 200 g of protein a day to keep up with my training schedule and that would be a tall order to maintain without meat. I am having to eat meat, egg whites or fish at every meal as well as whey protein shakes twice a day just to meet my protein goals.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    NOPE!!!!!!!!
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    I do, I really enjoy it though, don't see it as a pain at all, I never think about it, but I gave up meat as soon as I was old enough (in my family, that was 12) and I never wanted to eat it, so it was very easy for me. There was only a few things I missed, almost all of them were smoked, fish, bacon and pepperoni. It was the smoked flavour I liked though, not the meat. I wouldn't have eaten any of them unsmoked. I don't really remember what any of the other meats taste like now, so it's very easy, and I've never had a craving, thankfully. I ordered some liquid smoke online so I'm pretty excited about getting that so I can smoke up some tofu. As an adult, giving up meat might be more difficult than it was for me though, so I understand why people see it as a big deal. I'll never go back to animal based foods though.
  • VeganLexi
    "Earthlings" instantly made 5 of my friends vegan....it's a pretty difficult watch.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    My girl is a vegetarian, and since we got together, my meat consumption has gone right down, due to the fact she is a great cook!

I went full vegetarian myself, but only lasted 3 months, as I love fish and chicken, and I was not reaching my protein goal.

Now, I just eat chicken and fish. No pork, beef or any other kind of meat.

Works for me! Doubt I could go vegan or anything though!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    "Earthlings" instantly made 5 of my friends vegan....it's a pretty difficult watch.

Yeah Earthlings is called "The Vegan Maker" If you can't get through watching it then you shouldn't be eating COMMERCIALLY factory farmed and processed meat. If you can well then I hope you die and come back as a factory farmed animal lol.
  • no way
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    If the doctor told me I'd die unless I gave up meat for some odd reason then yes. Barring that, NO!!!!
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Of course. I have not had meat since 2001.
  • VeganLexi

Yeah Earthlings is called "The Vegan Maker" If you can't get through watching it then you shouldn't be eating COMMERCIALLY factory farmed and processed meat. If you can well then I hope you die and come back as a factory farmed animal lol.

I think Earthlings should be shown on repeat in every supermarket next to the corpses of factory farmed animals. Ugh I feel sick just thinking about it.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    I thought Earthlings was good family fun!