Weight loss help

Options

Replies

• 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll reduce sodium....

Christ. In the post that tells you to eat more, all you glean is the part that tells you to eat less. :noway:
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Christ. In the post that tells you to eat more, all you glean is the part that tells you to eat less. :noway:

I was JUST about to say this. Heck with it... I'm getting the popcorn now.
  • 5n0wbal1
    Options

I was JUST about to say this. Heck with it... I'm getting the popcorn now.

:drinker:
  • natalia616
    natalia616 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I honestly didnt realise that at all... Alright I'll try to eat more...
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I think everyone in this thread has shown genuine concern, OP. I know it's often hard to hear answers that don't mesh with the kinds of comments we thought we were going to get, but nobody in here is trying to steer you wrong or insult you. What you've described is quite concerning, and people on this site do think about the health of other members.

I just got over a stomach virus. I spent 2 days vomiting and nauseated, barely managing to make myself eat anything and just barely holding down anything I did eat. I ended up consuming about 700 calories that first day. That's 700 calories on a day when I feel like I barely ate anything. That was 1/4 cup of soup, a couple pieces of bread, some crackers, some Gatorade, and a bowl of cereal in the morning before I'd gotten sick. That's an empty day. It was awful. To think that you're limiting yourself to even fewer calories than I ate as a sick person is very confusing. And alarming.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    5'0" and still losing weight eating 1500-1700 net calories a day (though in truth 1670 is my maintenance goal).

Was losing eating 1200, too, but was hungry and tired and a little cranky.

You can eat more and lose weight. Truthfully, you need to eat more regardless of what your weight loss goals are. You cannot sustain what you are doing long term.

Eat to fuel your body day to day. If you gain a little weight at first (water weight, most likely), so be it. It will start to come off again in time. And you'll have the added benefit of not damaging your metabolism, not feeling like a zombie, and not being at risk of losing your hair or your periods.

Plus, if you kept up 600 calories a day for the duration of your weight loss, when you return to somewhat normal eating habits you will likely rebound. It is better to eat with a more reasonable deficit so that your weight loss is something you can sustain long term.
  • natalia616
    Options
    So I'm going to rebound 30pounds? Thats basicallly throwing away everything ive worked for 6 months for ... Id honestly rather just eat less then rebound...this is awful
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So I'm going to rebound 30pounds? Thats basicallly throwing away everything ive worked for 6 months for ... Id honestly rather just eat less then rebound...this is awful

Go see your doctor and a registered dietitian.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There is no metabolic slowdown or hormone imbalance known to science that would cause someone not a midget to stop losing weight at 600 calories a day, unless they already have the physique of a holocaust survivor.

If the OP is not losing weight, then all the concern about "600 calories is too little" is unfounded and misdirected, because the OP is simply not eating 600 calories a day.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    What I'm saying is you should gradually increase your intake *now*. I promise you won't gain back everything because you'll still be eating in a deficit.

I should have spoke more clearly but I work night shifts right now and I'm too tired to get into it. I'm saying it's way better for you long term to eat a smaller calorie deficit (still a deficit!) than to have such an extreme deficit. It's easier on your body and WAY easier to maintain down the road.

It's not too late - just eat a little more every day. Keep logging accurately. Aim for about 1200 calories. That's probably still a pretty significant deficit but still gets you the nutrients you need to function.

You'll gain a little at first (just water weight, probably), then it should level off and you'll lose again. I'd honestly recommend putting the scale away for two weeks while you slowly increase your calories and log accurately, and then start tracking your weight again when you're eating what an adult should eat.
  • 5n0wbal1
    Options

If you jump from 600 to what you were eating before (not sure what that is) then yes, you will rebound. If you start with a healthier deficit that is closer to maintenance, you have a better chance at making the change permanent.
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options

She said that if you continue this 600 calorie thing, and then suddenly go back to normal eating, that might lead to a rebound. Not that upping your calories a bit right now is going to make you gain all the weight back in full.

It's not awful. It's healthy. You do not have to lose all your weight in some set record time. You do not have to damage your body in order to lose weight. You do not have to meet some predetermined goal by unhealthy methods. What you do have to do is take care of yourself. At this calorie consumption, you're going to start having damage to your internal organs, you'll start losing your hair, your teeth will get loose in their sockets, you skin will lose it's vibrancy, etc. What good is it to be slim if you have patchy hair and no teeth and have to be connected to medical equipment all the time?
  • 5n0wbal1
    Options

She said that if you continue this 600 calorie thing, and then suddenly go back to normal eating, that might lead to a rebound. Not that upping your calories a bit right now is going to make you gain all the weight back in full.

It's not awful. It's healthy. You do not have to lose all your weight in some set record time. You do not have to damage your body in order to lose weight. You do not have to meet some predetermined goal by unhealthy methods. What you do have to do is take care of yourself. At this calorie consumption, you're going to start having damage to your internal organs, you'll start losing your hair, your teeth will get loose in their sockets, you skin will lose it's vibrancy, etc. What good is it to be slim if you have patchy hair and no teeth and have to be connected to medical equipment all the time?

I like you. You say it very well.
  • natalia616
    Options
    Im sorry I'm irritating you, but she said I would rebound.... Does rebound specifically mean only water weight? If it does then I didnt know thats what it meant... And I'm not a troll... I was sincerly confused to why I havent lost Weight in month, rather gained some. So if I eat 1200cal. Without exercise I will still lose weight? Or is this including exercise?
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options

I like you. You say it very well.

:-)
  • 5n0wbal1
    Options
    Im sorry I'm irritating you, but she said I would rebound.... Does rebound specifically mean only water weight? If it does then I didnt know thats what it meant... And I'm not a troll... I was sincerly confused to why I havent lost Weight in month, rather gained some. So if I eat 1200cal. Without exercise I will still lose weight? Or is this including exercise?

1200 cals without exercise. If you do exercise, eat those calories back.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

You can lose weight without working out. All you need is a deficit. However, working out strengthens your heart, maintains your muscle mass and it can be relaxing, depending on what you're doing.
  • natalia616
    Options
    Alright... So if how much should I raise my intake by and for how long should I keep it that intake before raising it again until reaching 1200cal..?
  • 5n0wbal1
    Options
    Alright... So if how much should I raise my intake by and for how long should I keep it that intake before raising it again until reaching 1200cal..?

1200 cals is still a deficit, and you need the fuel. I'd say raise it now. Like ASAP. Like go eat a meal. Will someone second?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

1200 cals is still a deficit, and you need the fuel. I'd say raise it now. Like ASAP. Like go eat a meal. Will someone second?

Nope. I disagree. We clearly DO NOT KNOW how much this person is eating. The advice to eat more is IMO completely misguided.