Replies

• NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    bump
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    For quite some time, I was putting off getting an HRM, FitBit or some kind of activity tracker. I finally decided on the FitBit to start. I've always been curious about the amount of actual steps I take throughout the day. I've been wearing it all week and here were my stats, which were not too shabby if I do say so myself. Of course, others may have blown me out of the water, but I'm happy with it.

Weekly Steps: 68,300 or average 9.757 per day. Some days were well under 5,000, but I had two over 15,000 so it balanced out.
    Weekly Stairs: 67
    Weekly Miles: 31
    Calories Burned: 20,466 - I really don't know how accurate this number really is, but it's listed.
    Average Sleep: 9.43 hours - I know this is totally wrong. I would NEVER sleep this much plus it's really just a stop watch so doesn't track true sleep in my opinion like an apnea machine.

I'm a little addicted to it now and want to see my flower grow. LOL!!!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @susan--I've been curious about the FItbit sleep feature. Is it really just a stopwatch? I thought Tom had posted some graphs that showed how often he woke up during the night which suggests it truly tracks the time one spends sleeping. Maybe I'm confused and he has a different version of Fitbit from what you have.

Tuesday Goals:
    I had said to get back on track logging tomorrow, but I already caved and logged today as best I could, so that goal seems silly now. Instead, I'm going to post some of my lifting stats so I can keep track of my progress.

Exercise & Weight:
    Bench press = 90
    Dead lift = 65
    Squat = 45 (bar only b/c just added today)

Upright row = 30 (kettle bell)
    Overhead tricep extension = 20 (dumbbell)

Bicep curl machine = 50
    Shoulder press machine = 40
    Lat pull down = 100
    Tricep pull down = 80

I just added squats today and am going to keep that really light for awhile. Some of you might recall that when I wrecked my knee a couple of years ago, I thought it was due to improper squat form. My physical therapist thought my form was perfect and said it more likely was the leg press. As a result I've avoided both for a very long time. However, I don't really see how I can build a heavy lifting routine without at least trying to include squats.

In a week or two I will add overhead press as well, then just work on increasing the weight.

If any of you lifters see any holes in my routine, please let me know. :smile:
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Skinny - I've learned from You-Tube vids that "proper form" on squats includes a lot of nonsense about foot placement. Don't worry about making toes point forward, they can point any direction that's natural for your body stance and alignment. Both my feet are pointed out 45 degrees to accomodate my knee problems and I do fine.

You're doing great on the poundage your lifting - so impressed !
  • emienne
    emienne Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Can I join in? I still have about 130 pounds to lose (29 pounds/13.2kg down so far) :( At this point it is feeling like I will never reach my goal. I took progress pics yesterday and compared them to the first ones I took and I look EXACTLY the same!! I even superimposed them in photoshop and I can't see any size difference and it's really got me down. I do take measurements with a tape measure as well and have lost a couple of inches here and there. It feels like it's still going to be a long way away before I can see any decent changes.

@skinnyjeanzbo - the fitbit One does track sleep via movement, so the graph will show you how restless you are during the night and give you a 'sleep efficiency' percentage. You do set the sleep 'timer' when you are ready to go to sleep and stop it when you wake. I'm not really sure how it does it but it will even tell you how long it took you to go to sleep after you set the timer. Pretty clever really.
  • 24Sept
    24Sept Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My wish is to be able to do 60 minutes on the elliptical machine like i used to do a few years back(5). I also wish that i was fit enough to dance. And of course i wish for world peace,maranatha.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Good morning all... well today is my oldest son's birthday... he is turning 10. I can't believe my kid is 10... I know that means cake tonight, but all day I plan to stay good, carb free, already did 30 minutes on the stairmaster,

Susan -- Glad you are enjoying your fitbit! Anything that gives you a push is good!

Skinny.... first glad you enjoyed your birthday! One day of indulgence is not a bad thing, and glad to see you back to a lifting plan.

Just a quick piece of commentary on the lifting plan.... Squats are the best! Just don't use that Smith Machine, use a bar and focus on keeping your butt back and get it low! I would switch out those two machines you have in there too... do overhead presses with dumbells while standing instead of the shoulder press machine and do regular bicep curls or even just forget about biceps! I almost never do something specifically for arms.

IMHO a good lifting plan that focuses on the major muscle motions is the best way to build muscle and lose fat... Right now I follow 5/3/1 but am going back to NROL once football season is over and I get my life back...
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Gorilla - I think you're the King of LIfting - you've totally transformed your body IMHO - so I'm going to take that advice you gave Skinny and take up those 2 exercises you mentioned but I would not take your advice to not do arm work - women have these flappy underarms - bat wings - the triceps area - that need work -
    So Gorilla - will just the regular routine kill the batwings - or do you have any suggestions ...hmmm??? :bigsmile:

And a big happy birthday to your son!
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, just checking in on the new thread!

Wednesday wishes -- Wishing for more consistent losses and the strength to eat at or under my daily calorie goal. I would like to be somewhere near my goal by my birthday next May.

They say if you keep falling off the wagon, make the wagon more comfortable (smaller deficit, don't omit foods you love, etc.) but I feel that my wagon has gotten so comfortable that I've fallen asleep! One big bump and I might get tossed off in the ditch! :embarassed: :laugh:

Have a great rest of your week! Finish strong :flowerforyou:
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Gorilla - I think you're the King of LIfting - you've totally transformed your body IMHO - so I'm going to take that advice you gave Skinny and take up those 2 exercises you mentioned but I would not take your advice to not do arm work - women have these flappy underarms - bat wings - the triceps area - that need work -
    So Gorilla - will just the regular routine kill the batwings - or do you have any suggestions ...hmmm??? :bigsmile:

LOL.. thanks for the praise Robin.... but I have bad news for you... nothing kills the batwings! You can spend all day doing every imaginable tricep exercise from pulldowns to skull crushers and it will not apprciatly change the fat/skin conditoin underthere more then losing weight would.

According to NROL focusing on small muscle groups like biceps and triceps is not an effective use of time. Those support muscles get plenty of use during the other workouts like the pull downs or the presses... people who focus on arms like that bodybuilders or guys who think bulging biceps get the beach broads...
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Wed. Wishes: to continue losing and eating right without feeling like it's a struggle.
    Concerning computer hacking (for those who are interested), my son and daughter-in-law work for major computer companies (Rim..scary!) and do computer security. Wes, (son), knew that I'd been hacked about an hour after it happened. He can tell me everything about it, who did it, when , how, and what I need to do to prevent identity theft, etc. Two of the most commonplaces where it originates from is: Africa and China...it's big money for them...millions of dollars to be made by a hacker who is good. Someone in Africa hacked my google account. Now, google has good security in place to prevent this. but this hacker was smart and found another email account in Toronto, hacked it and took it over without them knowing it, then used that account to get into mine. It is a bit confusing. There are major 'hacking' programs designed for just that purpose. Once in, they can see everything and link to all kinds of other places on your computer..ie. banking, etc.,
    So: never click the box that says "remember password"
    do NOT give your password to pop-up boxes pretending to be google or icloud, etc. and saying that it is time to change it...I think that is what I did. I was fooled into thinking the popup was legitimate and had to change my password. About 5 minutes after I did it, I was hacked! They were just waiting for someone like me.
    Also, last security tip: never keep passwords under, "memo", or such in your phone. write them down on paper instead. Paper is the only secure place for them.
    A hacker can't get in without a password, you have to give it to them....this happens unwittingly
    I'm using my computer now, but Wes is going to look at it this weekend and see if there's any other 'hidden' problems going on that I don't know about.
    Just thought some of you might find this interesting. I'm a computer dummy myself. I'm sorry to all my friends on my contact list who were sent a message from the hacker. Several of my friends have contacted me to ask if it was legitimate.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

The Fitbit has an ergonometer inside, so detects your movement during sleep (also how it detects your steps). You wear it on your wrist and start the “timer” on it when you are going to bed, so yes in that sense it is a timer – but it detects your movement throughout the night so gives you a general idea of how much sleep you’re getting. I have the Fitbit One but don’t wear it to bed, I have a pretty good idea how little sleep I get. :tongue: I’ve been thinking about getting the Flex, just because they have a pink one for Breast Cancer Awareness month and some of the proceeds go to the American Cancer Society.

@Susan~If you want to be friends on Fitbit, here is my URL – I’m friends with Beth, Nicole, Tom and Alison on there. www.fitbit.com/user/23MSTN

@Karen~Looks like a good lifting routine. I do biceps with free weights and a bent over row for triceps. Also, you could add in some cleans – it’s an added exercise that involves a squat. I can definitely see how the leg press would cause a knee injury, the more weight I push the more I feel it in my knees. As a result, I do a modified leg press – my feet are at an angle and up higher to take the pressure off of the knee joints.

@Gorilla~Happy 10th birthday to your son, uh oh double digits! :wink:

Wednesday Wish~That I would sleep past 3am, last several nights I’ve woken at 3am and don’t fall back asleep. Annoying! :grumble:

Exercise Goals:

Monday~Gym, Arc Trainer (did Cross Trainer instead) DONE!
    Tuesday~Rest Day
    Wednesday~Gym, Training Session
    Thursday~Rest Day
    Friday~Gym, Arc Trainer/Weights (this could turn into training session)
    Saturday~Gym, running drills (or outside if its nice)
    Sunday~Gym, Training Session

ETA~I DID just order the new Fitbit Flex in Pink for BCA, should have it in a couple of weeks. :love:
  • kah68
    Options

LOL.. thanks for the praise Robin.... but I have bad news for you... nothing kills the batwings! You can spend all day doing every imaginable tricep exercise from pulldowns to skull crushers and it will not apprciatly change the fat/skin conditoin underthere more then losing weight would.

According to NROL focusing on small muscle groups like biceps and triceps is not an effective use of time. Those support muscles get plenty of use during the other workouts like the pull downs or the presses... people who focus on arms like that bodybuilders or guys who think bulging biceps get the beach broads...

I totally agree! I don't target small muscle groups regularly, but add it in every once in a while. Most exercises I do involve all major muscle groups and those smaller groups get the attention they need.
  • kah68
    Options
    They say if you keep falling off the wagon, make the wagon more comfortable (smaller deficit, don't omit foods you love, etc.) but I feel that my wagon has gotten so comfortable that I've fallen asleep! One big bump and I might get tossed off in the ditch! :embarassed: :laugh:

Don't worry, we'll pull you back in! Hang in there, Carla, you got this! :happy:
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    "Rock-tober" Goals:

1. Taking all of my leftover candy to the office to get THEM fat instead of me staying THIS way!
    2. Walking to my local store instead of taking the car atleast twice a week
    3. Pack healthy lunches and suppers the days I work both of my jobs instead of opting for fast food to compensate for my laziness
    4. Only weigh myself in two week intervals so not to discourage myself with small fluctuations in gains
    5. Organize my finances so that my priorities are MET including debt repayment, savings, and healthy food grocery shopping (on a weekly basis, as not to produce waste because of portion controls). This will help with stress levels and since I'm an emotional eater, will help with my calorie intake!

Edited for spelling and grammatical errors :)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Otay! Wednesday wish... that my mom gets back to the East Coast safely and easily!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Wed Wish: That there was more time in the day and that all my stress would just disappear. I have been doing walking and next Monday I start zumba again. Now, to get my food back under control.
  • Garetie
    Garetie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: bump
  • TOPSmarca
    TOPSmarca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Just a drive by... I am doing well even though I have been extremely busy!!! Spent the AM making some healthy, easy to prepare main dishes for my pregnant daughter!!! Healthy meatloaf, roast pork loin, broccoli, rice, and chicken casserole... all reduced fat and carb balanced!!! Now off to do client visits!!!