Harsh words & bashing instead of support & motivation?

Options

Replies

• kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    In to read later. YAY ZOMBIE THREAD.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    In to read later. YAY ZOMBIE THREAD.
    cinematic_undead.jpg
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    No, wait... I thought people were only mean on this forum recently, and that everything was kittens and rainbows way back when! :sad:

Have I been lied to???? What if NOW is when everyone's nice, and the worse is yet to come???

Please stand by while we fix the problem. :P

ea6.gif
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I agree, thank you for posting this! I've seen so many people post rude, demeaning, and sarcastic comments to people's questions. I hope they realize that it isn't okay.

Why do you have to be so mean?

tumblr_mbfjlx73mh1rol1w1.gif

::sad: :sad: :sad:
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Wow. Does this mean I can't say I love the song "Fat Bottomed Girls"? :wink: Can't harsh words be the truth at times? Lastly, I have stock in Scott paper, so I'm willing to supply tissues if needed.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Also I think some people don't realize that what worked for them might not work for someone else and if you state what works for you you get jumped on. I always make a point of stating that what I'm saying is what worked for me and that everyone is different. I still get flack for it and told that I'm wrong or doing it wrong or whatever.

(an example that comes to mind are the constant questions about eating back exercise calories).

I was bashed to H!@# for saying that i stay away from too much sodium and man made chemicals in food. The thought was that even heating food casues a chemical reaction...REALLY??? that the same as eating PHOSPORIC ACID??

Why do you hate potatoes?

I don't hate potatoes - I just choose to eat them closer to the way they come out of the ground instead of altered into little bits of themselves.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Also I think some people don't realize that what worked for them might not work for someone else and if you state what works for you you get jumped on. I always make a point of stating that what I'm saying is what worked for me and that everyone is different. I still get flack for it and told that I'm wrong or doing it wrong or whatever.

(an example that comes to mind are the constant questions about eating back exercise calories).

I was bashed to H!@# for saying that i stay away from too much sodium and man made chemicals in food. The thought was that even heating food casues a chemical reaction...REALLY??? that the same as eating PHOSPORIC ACID??

I don't hate potatoes - I just choose to eat them closer to the way they come out of the ground instead of altered into little bits of themselves.

You don't like cutting up potatoes?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

That must make it difficult to swallow them.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I love studying the kinds of posts that people write in the forums. Like... what kinds of topics trend well with tickers that never move? Just a little MFP fun fact. The message is more important than it's giftwrapping :heart:
    Yeah that's part of the research I want to do. It definitely appears that people who complain about other people being "mean" on an internet forum aren't nearly as successful. I wonder if it is a result of externalizing control/blame.

I said something like that the other day and was immediately mocked for being "rude." I think you're onto something there.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

And bananas. Bananas have phosphorous, too.
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    if someones intent is to guide some one than i wont mind.
    but yes wise people always have a wise speech/ words too
    they dont sound rude, they inspire people.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    if someones intent is to guide some one than i wont mind.
    but yes wise people always have a wise speech/ words too
    they dont sound rude, they inspire people.

wise people know that 'always' is impossible.
    wise people also know that what is life saving and direct and perfect for one person, is rude to another.
    wise people can only try their best, be themselves and hope someone can benefit.

the unwise demand universal perfection and 1 uniform standard voice, preferably their personal favorite voice.

wise people know that humanity just isnt like that.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I love studying the kinds of posts that people write in the forums. Like... what kinds of topics trend well with tickers that never move? Just a little MFP fun fact. The message is more important than it's giftwrapping :heart:
    Yeah that's part of the research I want to do. It definitely appears that people who complain about other people being "mean" on an internet forum aren't nearly as successful. I wonder if it is a result of externalizing control/blame.

exactly, you can go back and visit all the threads where someone posted a topic to whine about the fact that not all strangers on the internet behave the way they would prefer them to (as if it were a character flaw in those strangers, that they wont submit to her wishes) and a year later, all the ones complaining about tone of voice and perceived rudeness have not progressed, or their tickers are still stuck right there at the beginning.

whereas all those who are constantly being accused of being rude because they say the blunt truths (you lack self-discipline and should work on that) instead of sweetly lying to people (it's ok to binge oxoxo just think positively!) are all successful in at least one area of their fitness goals, if not almost all their goals.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I am not against weights in any way, but I am against certain agendas being pushed and insinuated that that way is the only way to go.

I agree with this.

The problem is, if you are a complete novice to fitness, diet and exercise you may be easily misled. And, if you see one of these posers with their cell phone infront of the mirror types flexing their muscles someone who is trying to lose weight, increase cardiovascular health and meet certain dietary goals may go down the wrong road.

Bodybuilding is unique, fitness and weightloss are similar. BB should at least have its own area of MFP....

tap tap

excuse me, sir

not everyone who takes a picture of themselves in the mirror flexing is going to mislead newbies because of the sin of bodybuilding. Some people who are really into fitness and getting strong with something like a weights program, like 5/3/1 or Stronglifts also pull up reference material from bodybuilding when they feel their strength is unevenly distributed from side to side.

Also, many of us have worked hard in the gym and on the sidewalks, losing 100 pounds and feel justified that snapping a picture of ourselves, between sets while we have to wait anyway, does not void or discredit all of our knowledge, nor will it make us dangerous to newbies.

New people will always latch on to something that perks their interest. Almost none of them will start off by educating themselves, almost all of them will start off just by listening to uneducated friends and random people who dont know enough about their situation.

So it isnt our responsibility to reconstruct the entire fitness world into one that is best suited for newbies - but instead, newbies should understand that they are the ones entering a world that they plan on striving to fit into. that they want to be part of.

You dont walk into a company and announce that you are taking an entry level position and start making demands for how the entire company speaks to you or how they behave or what they do with their free time or how they dress in order to make yourself feel more comfortable, do you? no. of course not. Instead, you go in, politely, educate yourself about the company, get to know people, figure out who is going to help you get ahead in the company and who is happy at the bottom and probably never going to move up.

You dont get a promotion by whining about mean people or by mimicking people doing things that you dont understand.

Newbies, educate yourselves in a way other than 'talkin about it with people' and (the majority of) us old pros will promise not to lead you off on the wrong path purposefully ever (as long as you arent withholding information about your situation that would alter our advice.)

ETA:

5133274_1281.jpg

^ just lost all my knowledges in a camera/mirror incident
  • yoovie
    Options
    oops, thought that last one was from yesterday

skips off
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    In addition to everything Yoovie just said above, which was brilliant...

What makes you think any of us who lift weights and flex for the camera are people who've been fit for life?

When I came here, it was after an unblemished streak of 38 years of complete non-athleticism. Gym class way back in school was torture, physically and socially, so it wasn't something I ever sought during the 20 years following graduation.

I came here with one goal: Be fit enough to run 5k. I had no interest in body building, lifting weights, macros, all that stuff. I was barely interested in losing weight, because I thought it wasn't going to happen. All I wanted was minimal fitness for health, because I was sick of wheezing every time I exerted myself.

But along the way, I learned things. I learned I'm not the social misfit picked last in gym class any more. I learned I'm not even that bad, athletically. When I took the time to learn HOW to run, I was actually pretty good at it. That snowballed into some light weight training with dumbbells, because I know that resistance training was good for my bones and stuff. That snowballed into some heavier weight training, because those light weights weren't a challenge any more. That snowballed into buying my own bench and barbell and plates, because holy frickin' crap, that does amazing things for my body. Not just how it looks, but how it functions. Thirty minutes, three times a week, is well worth not spending time on the couch popping muscle relaxants because I threw my back out yet again, like I used to every few months.

I understand not everyone wants to look like a bodybuilder. Hell, I don't, either. But I'm eternally grateful for those who came along before me and showed me through their posts on here and those flexing profile pics, what is possible. It's a lot more than I ever dared to hope for.
  • ktsimons
    Options

REALLY?? grow up.

• ktsimons
    Options

this will be my last post...i am moving away from MFP. See ya'll
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

this will be my last post...i am moving away from MFP. See ya'll

Phosphorus is actually an important nutrient to the body. I hope you will at least walk away with this knowledge so that you don't avoid foods with phosphorus and end up causing yourself a nutrient deficiency that will lead to other health issues.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Do you realize this is the 978597257842357237523th thread on this topic? Unfortunately, this is the internet, this kind of thing is unavoidable. If it really bothers you, stick to your news feed and avoid the forums.