my husband isn't supportive...

Options

Replies

• bethanyliz1
    bethanyliz1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    He sounds like he's a no good husband. By the way you describe it, sounds like he's just being plain mean and ain't nobody got time for that!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It has been 4 days. Maybe you have done this before and not followed through? If you stick to it, he will realise that you're serious.

It only takes one day to make a life style change...

No. It takes one day to decide to make a change. It takes a lot longer to see it through to where it becomes a permanent change and not just something you did on a whim and half-assed.

As the post above said- stick with it and the longer you commit to it, the more serious he'll take you.

ETA: And this is about changing something about yourself, not him. If he doesn't want to support it, oh well. You need to do this for you and maybe this will help you learn to rely more on yourself - letting you see you are stronger than you thought.
  • Elpaw4mbv
    Elpaw4mbv Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons he could be acting this way - insecurity about possibly losing you; fear that you'll force your food choices on him and he'll be a carnivore condemned to a life of rabbit food; maybe he is happy the way he is so he doesn't want to give up any unhealthy habits he has; maybe he's afraid you'll start harping on him to drop a few pounds and he doesn't want all that work; maybe in the years you've been together he has seen you spend money you can't afford on gimmicks and "get thin quick" fads that don't work; maybe in the past you haven't truly committed to weight loss and he's sorta over the roller coaster; maybe he's a total jerk; maybe he truly likes the way you look and isn't sure how he'll feel if you don't look this way anymore; or maybe its a combination of all of the above.

My husband did a combination of talk and active sabotage for awhile and I get where you are coming from. It's awful and darned easy just to say "eff this, hand me the chips and dip."

What turned things around for me was to make up my mind that I was doing this for me and his thoughts on the matter were irrelevant.

I tuned out his negative comments, but did consult him before I purchased personal training sessions, or anything fitness related over our agreed to limit on spending. (we have a $ figure below which the other is not required to discuss a purchase but at or above it has to be discussed/negotiated.) He never said no, but sometimes I'd hear negative comments about how "all this money for a trainer and you've only lost...?" I just let it go. On occasion it hurt and I'd cry in the shower, but once I got the tears out - I would let it go and keep on my path.

When he'd cook something that was full of all the unhealthy things, or buy me something I shouldn't eat but love, I would either have a very small portion or decline. But I did it calmly without drama and accusations about him being unsupportive.

It took awhile, but guess what happened?

He saw that I was serious. He saw that my efforts - though slow - were paying off. He saw that when we went out as a family, I could keep up with our children but he could not. He became supportive. Then he started following my lead. Is he still a jerk from time to time? Yeah but we're at a point where I can say, "you are being a jerk about this - how about a little support?" and that turns it around.

Recently, he decided to take up cycling and it was my turn to be the jerk..."you want to spend what on a bike??!! and lycra pants? You can barely walk around the block, why don't you start slowly with this?" He very calmly said, "honey, remember when I was such a jerk and how that made you feel?" 'Nuff said, I apologized and he bought the bike - so he's now a Middle-Aged Man in Lycra and we're mutually supporting one another on our weight loss journey.

Good luck and remember - this is about you, not him.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have to go along with the "it's only been 4 days" crowd on this one. 4 days is nothing really. Give it a month or more then question his 'support'

It takes 3 weeks to build a habit.

Sure, it's only been 4 days. That doesn't mean he should say what he said. All his words did was discourage her into questioning herself. That's unhelpful, destructive, and uncalled for.
  • Lunastar3
    Lunastar3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ignore what he says and just do it. Do it for YOU. You don't have to tell him anything...just do it. He'll start to notice when you are succeeding and losing wt. Don't let him derail you...this is about YOU and not him...and maybe that's the problem. I wouldn't argue with him, I would just go about your own business and just do it, you're worth it!! :-)
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    She's 23. 23 year olds don't have much of a history of anything.

But anybody can change, whenever they decide to.

OP: you can totally do this and you don't need his approval. I know it sucks that you don't have it. My husband is always a butthead like this in the beginning, but once I get 15 pounds down or so he's totally supportive. (Had babies, gained 50 pounds, lost 50 pounds twice before.)

You do what you do. He'll come around or he won't. If you are successful and he continues to be an *kitten*, at that point I'd start wondering if he's going to be that much of a jerk any time you face some minor adversity together.
    Your profile says you've been married 5 years and have always been a big girl. Do you have a history of good intentions to lose weight that fall to the wayside after a while? If so, while his words aren't the most tactful, they are somewhat understandable.

Are you serious? SMH.........Go get drunk and act dumb with her husband.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you've been married 5 years and have always been a big girl. Do you have a history of good intentions to lose weight that fall to the wayside after a while? If so, while his words aren't the most tactful, they are somewhat understandable.

Wow. So do you always get so defensive and aggressive when someone else presents a different point of view on a situation?

No I get aggressive when I see someone on a support site adding on to the negativity/abuse. I guess we all have different definitions of abuse. To each their own. I'm just glad I don't live that way.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    I don't think I could live with my husband if he said that to me. Maybe he's afraid you'll leave him when you get skinny. I dunno, I know you are just venting, so I don't want to talk bad about your hubby. But he needs to get a clue!

On the other hand - my hubby LOVES me being fat and didn't like it when I was at my skinniest. He calls himself a chubby chaser. lol

Does he ever tell you that you are sexy or anything?
    Yes, He does a lot.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Wow. So do you always get so defensive and aggressive when someone else presents a different point of view on a situation?

No I get aggressive when I see someone on a support site adding on to the negativity/abuse. I guess we all have different definitions of abuse. To each their own. I'm just glad I don't live that way.

Cadori was not in the least abusive. She presented a different take on the situation and maybe you should just read what was written instead of imagining how you think she was coming at the OP.

Regardless, Cadori's point IS valid and I for one agree with it. But even if I didn't, I can understand where she is coming from and appreciate differences in opinions and points of view.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    My husband was the same at the start. I showed him, he thought I was a person who would not stick to it. I showed him didn't I. Over 600 days later, 38kg lighter & healthier than I've ever been & he knows I can do ANYTHING I say I can do.

I didn't NEED him to be supportive at all. I didn't do it for him.

Just do it, don't talk to him about it unless HE brings it up. You do not NEED his support.

Good for you girl!
  • sizzle74
    Options
    Based on a couple of responses here, maybe every time my husband's ex wife tries to get sober we should remind her how she failed all the other times?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

That awkward moment where you wonder if the other person has wondered into the wrong thread....
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    How much support were you hoping for by the 4 day mark, exactly? If you want him to take you seriously then behave seriously and put the work in. Getting upset 4 days in because he isn't acting like you've done something amazing isn't the sort of behavior that is going to garner his support or his seriousness.

Yeah yeah, I know. So mean, not supportive, go get drunk with her husband.

The fact that someone that weighs TWICE what they should returns to the gym after every inch of their body is in pain is amazing. Let alone 4 days. I'm super proud of myself and through the pain I feel SO much better. 4 days is amazing. It takes 21 days to create a habit, So every single one of those days counts and matters!! I've NEVER been to the gym ONCE in our entire marriage. He has no reason to doubt me at all.

My husband should support me from DAY ONE. And so should everyone else. I shouldn't have to "prove myself" to my husband for him to support me.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    I have to go along with the "it's only been 4 days" crowd on this one. 4 days is nothing really. Give it a month or more then question his 'support'

It takes 3 weeks to build a habit.
    And EVERY SINGLE DAY in those 21 days matters. If they didn't, it wouldn't take that long to make a habit
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    How much support were you hoping for by the 4 day mark, exactly? If you want him to take you seriously then behave seriously and put the work in. Getting upset 4 days in because he isn't acting like you've done something amazing isn't the sort of behavior that is going to garner his support or his seriousness.

The fact that someone that weighs TWICE what they should returns to the gym after every inch of their body is in pain is amazing. Let alone 4 days. I'm super proud of myself and through the pain I feel SO much better. 4 days is amazing. It takes 21 days to create a habit, So every single one of those days counts and matters!! I've NEVER been to the gym ONCE in our entire marriage. He has no reason to doubt me at all.

My husband should support me from DAY ONE. And so should everyone else. I shouldn't have to "prove myself" to my husband for him to support me.

Your husband is a person. There isn't a "should" or "shouldn't". I would consider talking this out with him versus strangers on the internet. Maybe look into counseling if things don't get resolved the way you think they should be.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Based on a couple of responses here, maybe every time my husband's ex wife tries to get sober we should remind her how she failed all the other times?

No, but you should approach the situation with caution and not get too invested in her appearent success because there is a high chance of failure.

I have an aunt who's a drug addict and she used to come around, claiming she was going to get clean, every few months. We'd let her back into our lives, let her back into her daughter's life, get all of our hopes up...and then she'd vanish, usually with the contents of someone's home disappearing right along with her. Not to mention breaking the hearts of everyone around her. Again.

So now if she pops up she gets "That's great Mona, we hope it works out." and she certainly can't stay at anyone's house anymore.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options

No, but you should approach the situation with caution and not get too invested in her appearent success because there is a high chance of failure.

I have an aunt who's a drug addict and she used to come around, claiming she was going to get clean, every few months. We'd let her back into our lives, let her back into her daughter's life, get all of our hopes up...and then she'd vanish, usually with the contents of someone's home disappearing right along with her. Not to mention breaking the hearts of everyone around her. Again.

So now if she pops up she gets "That's great Mona, we hope it works out." and she certainly can't stay at anyone's house anymore.

How does that relate to losing weight at all? I've never hopped on some fads. I've never taken diet pills. I've never once tried to lose weight in our marriage....

If anything, HE'S the one that says he's going to do something and falls back on it.
  • Achrya
    Options

Congrats, that's great work.

Now keep it up.
  • Achrya
    Options

How does that relate to losing weight at all? I've never hopped on some fads. I've never taken diet pills. I've never once tried to lose weight in our marriage....

If anything, HE'S the one that says he's going to do something and falls back on it.

IDK, how did that woman's husband's alcoholic ex relate?
  • sizzle74
    Options

They were referring to my reference of my husband's ex. And no, we will never give up on my step son's mother. Ever.