Could you give up Meat?

Options

Replies

• CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Could i? yes i would be capable of doing such a thing
    Would i? never in a million years, would i even entertain the notion of doing such a thing
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    No
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Completely for the rest of your life And go to a whole foods plant based diet? Which means no meat dairy oils etc. could you? Seriously

I did give up meat when I tried the McDougall Eating Plan several years ago. I don't believe I lost any weight, but I discovered I was lactose intolerant because this plan also does not include dairy. I tried tofu, but it made my stomach hurt (I later discovered that I am soy intolerant).

However, I still have the McDougall cookbooks and love making some of their meals from time to time.

Edited to add: I decided a vegetarian eating plan was not for me. I love beef, chicken, turkey, and fish, but not much of any other meat.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Easily, I was vegan for over 7 years. I'm eating meat, dairy, and eggs again, but considering going vegetarian/vegan again.

Isn't this evidence that the answer is actually, "no"?

Or more accurately, "not for more than seven years"?
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Give up meat? Really? Why don't I give up sex too while I am at it.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    If I had to I could, but I love cow and pig too much to give it up.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Could i? yes i would be capable of doing such a thing
    Would i? never in a million years, would i even entertain the notion of doing such a thing
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOO!

I need my protein, I love my protein and plant based meals do not provide enough for me, and they are loaded with carbs. I don't do well with lot of carbs.

Having said that, I don't eat much red meat anymore ( or bacon, or lamb, or pork), but yes to chicken, fish, eggs, cheese and dairy.
  • Kiwi_Made
    Kiwi_Made Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    **** no.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    people seem to forget about proper amino acid profiles that are optimal for recovery, bone density, etc.

On top of that b12 to prevent neurological defects, creatine is currently being investigated as a form of prevention as well.

btw without b12, higher risk that your babies with neurological problems

B12 is easily supplemented not enough of an excuse
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOO!

I need my protein, I love my protein and plant based meals do not provide enough for me, and they are loaded with carbs. I don't do well with lot of carbs.

Having said that, I don't eat much red meat anymore ( or bacon, or lamb, or pork), but yes to chicken, fish, eggs, cheese and dairy.

Greens actually have quite a bit of protein and you can meet your daily needs if you eat properly
  • paytenpar2014
    Options
    I could never ever give up meat completely! I love chicken so much. There's just no way! Haha. Besides my love of the taste, meat provides so many good things for your body! I couldn't give it up! Haha.
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I was raised on a dairy farm, but we always had a steer for the freezer and had chicken and pork, hunted deer, rabbit, and squirrel. My husband's family raised beef cattle and we are doing the same now. My children are learning to hunt, fish, and be self reliant.

My husband works with a "city" girl who made the comment that she thought what we do was wrong, we should go to the store like "normal" people to buy our meat. I want to cry when I think how far removed from reality some people are. I do think she is just particularly ignorant. I work with a lot of people who think what we do is pretty cool and I tell them all the time they can some visit us and help out b/c mucking stalls and giving calves their vaccinations is no fun.

I understand why vegetarians choose not to eat meat, besides the health reasons. I think people should eat less meat, or buy better treated (more expensive) meat because the big business way of it is heartbreaking. That was one of the reasons my husband and I decided to do what we do. I also think everyone should visit a farm.

So could I give up meat? No.
  • Dcharnice
    Dcharnice Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Red Meat - Gone. Working on pork. Not willing to give up my poultry & seafood. Chicken/Turkey breast & Salmon are regulars in my diet.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOO!

Greens actually have quite a bit of protein and you can meet your daily needs if you eat properly

Lunch today:
    Mixed greens with spinach and kale (3 cups); carbs= 15; protein= 6
    Grilled mahi-mahi (4 oz): carbs =0; protein = 20
    Do the math...
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    No, Never.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Easily, I was vegan for over 7 years. I'm eating meat, dairy, and eggs again, but considering going vegetarian/vegan again.

Isn't this evidence that the answer is actually, "no"?

Or more accurately, "not for more than seven years"?

Honestly, I could have very easily remained vegan. I decided to try meat again in order to support local farmers who raise rare breeds of livestock as many of the heritage breeds were dying out due to lack of use. It took me over a year to be able to eat meat again without inducing sickness.

And really, veganism was easier for me than paleo was. I just didn't like to proselytize, which I still am not doing, as diet is personal and shouldn't be attacked.
  • eunicebes
    eunicebes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes I could and I have done it for 7 whole years, but then I started craving chicken. I only eat chicken, turkey and some fish. I love vegetarian meals though and I could do it, but wouldn't really want to. :)
  • eunicebes
    eunicebes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did it as a teen too, but I think I did eat some really healthy stuff. A lot of stir fries, vegetarian lasagne etc.
  • Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    No. LOL I gave up meat for a year once, and I counted down the days till I could have a delicious steak.
    I'm a carnivore!