Female Bulking Advice Needed

Options

Replies

• Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised I haven't posted this link here, yet.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/940668-ladies-who-have-bulked

Thank you. I tagged that thread and plan to check out your blog later as well. :flowerforyou:
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    In to follow and for all the great info here. I still need to get my body fat down, but this could be in my future. :)

You look fantastic, OP.
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    In to follow and for all the great info here. I still need to get my body fat down, but this could be in my future. :)

You look fantastic, OP.

Thank you Brandi, and you are making fantastic progress. How are you liking the Stronglifts program?
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Following because OP, you look incredible! I've been thinking of bulking too but think my bf% is too high (22%) and I've just gotten back to feeling really good about my weight and I don't want to feel "fat" again! Head trip. Anyhow, looking forward to following your progress.
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Following because OP, you look incredible! I've been thinking of bulking too but think my bf% is too high (22%) and I've just gotten back to feeling really good about my weight and I don't want to feel "fat" again! Head trip. Anyhow, looking forward to following your progress.

Amanda, thank you. I would estimate my bodyfat in the 21-22% range right now and I think that's perfectly fine for bulking. :)
  • messi08
    messi08 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    A new group has been formed here called "women who bulk" and ladies will be sharing their experiences there for anyone interested. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51470-women-who-bulk
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'd say you are a tad leaner than that barbell girl. Closer to about 18%.

It's always subjective when one thinks they should start a bulk (or a cut) as we hold fat in different areas so 22% on one person could look totally different to 22% on another. For the best nutrient partitioning you should be fairly lean before bulking. I've never seen specific recommendations for females but below 15% is the norm for males so that would correspond to around 25% for females I'd say.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Bump for interest of being mid-forties myself.

Looking right OP.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Looking good :) Haven't read whole thread, but I just finished my first bulk. I aimed for a max of 1/2 pound a week gain since we can't gain muscle very quickly. I prefer to use formulas to work out my protein and fat, and just fill the rest of my calories with carbs, so only my carbs really move up and down, rather than use a straight percentage split.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Have to say dying of jealousy at the OP's photos. If I had abs like those my work here would be done!
    Wow. Far from a bulk yet...still working on getting calories under control but bumping for future reference if/when the time comes.
    All the best with your new goal OP! With your determination and sensible approach I'm sure it'll go to plan.
  • vlabbate
    vlabbate Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi You pictures are amazing. I am trying to do the same thing now by bulking up on food to build muscle mass. I went from 1800cal to 2000, to 2400 and on my heavy lifting days I am at 2700cals. I was told to do this before work out eat a protein source, plus a complex carb exchange, work out, after work out protein source with a simple carb exchange. Additional protein shake at night, with peanut butter. My dietician has me following 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% Fat. I need the mono saturated fats to produce testosterone to boost muscle mass growth. My trainer had switched me off of metabolic full body work outs to SS weight training 10-13 reps for hypertrophy with 13 min interval running on treadmill after work out. Hope this helps.
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Looking good :) Haven't read whole thread, but I just finished my first bulk. I aimed for a max of 1/2 pound a week gain since we can't gain muscle very quickly. I prefer to use formulas to work out my protein and fat, and just fill the rest of my calories with carbs, so only my carbs really move up and down, rather than use a straight percentage split.

Thank you. I do get more than my minimum protein and fat requirements. I currently get 1.54g protein per pound of body weight, my fat intake is .495g per pound, and the rest are carbs. I feel very good at these levels and wouldn't want to drop the protein and fat any lower due to satiety.

I'm also shooting for a 1/2 lb. a week and 2 lb. a month weight gain. I'd love to see any pre and post bulking pictures you have. :smile:
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Have to say dying of jealousy at the OP's photos. If I had abs like those my work here would be done!
    Wow. Far from a bulk yet...still working on getting calories under control but bumping for future reference if/when the time comes.
    All the best with your new goal OP! With your determination and sensible approach I'm sure it'll go to plan.

Thank you very much, you are super sweet. Just stick to your plan. Determination and persistence will get you there too. :flowerforyou:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Awesome pics BBGirl

How long you been doing IF?

Love seeing moms with better bodies than teenagers. :happy:
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Hi You pictures are amazing. I am trying to do the same thing now by bulking up on food to build muscle mass. I went from 1800cal to 2000, to 2400 and on my heavy lifting days I am at 2700cals. I was told to do this before work out eat a protein source, plus a complex carb exchange, work out, after work out protein source with a simple carb exchange. Additional protein shake at night, with peanut butter. My dietician has me following 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% Fat. I need the mono saturated fats to produce testosterone to boost muscle mass growth. My trainer had switched me off of metabolic full body work outs to SS weight training 10-13 reps for hypertrophy with 13 min interval running on treadmill after work out. Hope this helps.

Thank you for sharing this. Our macros are very similar and I can definitely see why you would need slightly more fat. That's interesting advice about the different carbs before and after, but I understand the reasons for them. My new personal trainer has me doing something similar. Insulin is definitely our best friend at times.

SS, does that stand for Starting Strength or something else? Thank you again, and are you tasking pre and during bulking pictures?
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Awesome pics BBGirl

How long you been doing IF?

Love seeing moms with better bodies than teenagers. :happy:

Thanks Max. I've been doing IF for the last 2-3 months. It comes very natural to me. I don't wake up hungry. But I love breakfast food so I'll eat breakfast for dinner quite a bit. On the rare day that I am hungry when I wake up, I eat. I generally eat though from noon to 10 pm.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for 63 days now, loving it....

Just think I will have to tweak caloric intake....went from ~182 -> 176 lbs.

Did that happen with you, or did you stay at same weight?
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    I have been doing it for 63 days now, loving it....

Just think I will have to tweak caloric intake....went from ~182 -> 176 lbs.

Did that happen with you, or did you stay at same weight?

I'm not sure my results are typical Max. I was doing absolutely nothing except sitting all day, eating fast food and drinking alcohol at night before I decided to turn my life around which was in May. I was at a normal weight but just a higher body fat. When I started lifting and eating healthy foods I stayed the same weight but gained muscle and lost fat.

I worked with a personal trainer for five week starting in mid-June because I wanted to learn to use free weights. The second week we worked together she measured my body fat using the calipers and repeated the test with the same calipers four weeks later and I went from 23 to 20% body fat in that time. I think it was the combination of strength training, cardio, IF, a clean diet, lots of rest, reducing stress, and newbie gains. I was eating at a slight deficit (about 200) at this time and not eating back exercise calories.

Eta: since increasing my calories last Monday from TDEE of 1800 to 2000 I've gained 1/2 pound. That puts me exactly one pound heavier than I was when I started, and I will tell you, muscle looks so much sexier than just skin with fat under it and no muscle tone. :)
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Bumping to follow your progress. I'm trying to find my maintenance cals so I can start a lean bulk.