"The problem with sugar is your problem with sugar"

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    When I think about people I know who have never had a weight problem they usually do not abstain from anything. Overall they eat less and honestly I don't think they spend as much time worried about food. Maybe because they've never had a weight problem, who knows.

I agree with you. In a similar thread I started keeping track of the people who did not think that food behavioral addiction was real vs. those who did, and without exception every single person who did not who had a profile pictures was reasonably fit.

It's anecdotal, but I did see the pattern.

False, I'm fat and do not believe in food addiction.

Argument destroyed.

I am also fat and do not believe in food addiction. When I was fatter (clinically obese) I still did not believe in food addiction.

This. Still fat, still love food, still not addicted.

Do I sometimes eat more than I should? Sure. I also sometimes drink more than I should, watch TV longer than I should, and sit around in bed more than I should. I'm not addicted to those things either; I'm just fat and lazy and that's no one's fault but my own.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    When I think about people I know who have never had a weight problem they usually do not abstain from anything. Overall they eat less and honestly I don't think they spend as much time worried about food. Maybe because they've never had a weight problem, who knows.

I agree with you. In a similar thread I started keeping track of the people who did not think that food behavioral addiction was real vs. those who did, and without exception every single person who did not who had a profile pictures was reasonably fit.

Argument destroyed.

I am also fat and do not believe in food addiction. When I was fatter (clinically obese) I still did not believe in food addiction.

Do I sometimes eat more than I should? Sure. I also sometimes drink more than I should, watch TV longer than I should, and sit around in bed more than I should. I'm not addicted to those things either; I'm just fat and lazy and that's no one's fault but my own.
    Stop making fun of my sitting in bed addiction.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Wait......maybe I am addicted!!!!
    20131004_221731_zps005c5712.jpg

Can we be friends?!?!? I will show my support by eating half of everything you have in that freezer just so I can help you avoid the sugar intake. See? I'm an awesome friend!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Argument destroyed.

Yeah, +1 for someone who is overweight and believes "food addiction" is a lot of psychobabble designed to sell drugs and therapy sessions.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Argument destroyed.

Some people are very insensitive.

I sympathize with your addiction. :flowerforyou:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You say this yet you yourself can't even abstain. How would you know if learning moderation is harder when you haven't even shown that you can master abstinence.

I've been mostly doing it for the last 6 months. Trust me, if I kept "bad foods" around the house, I'd probably be eating them more often than not. Sometimes I still fail, so I guess you are right that at least total abstinence hasn't worked. My willpower just isn't that strong.

Bolded: A good definition for moderation.

In fact, your entire reply is an argument for moderation. You don't completely abstain yet you continue to lose weight. That's moderation right there.

You're practicing what you preach against.

F'ing beautiful. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

And I was "fat," as in about 40 lbs overweight. I dropped the first 20 lbs by over-restricting foods. I was miserable. So miserable that I fell off the wagon and put 10 lbs back on fairly quickly. I learned moderation and lost the last 20 (30, since I put 10 back on). That's why the pics in my profile are ones where I'm fairly fit.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Someone mentioned smoking. Nicotine is the #1 reason that I know the difference between addiction and a bad habit.
  • grho
    grho Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    To read later!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Argument destroyed.

Some people are very insensitive.

I sympathize with your addiction. :flowerforyou:

Enabler.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Argument destroyed.

Yeah, +1 for someone who is overweight and believes "food addiction" is a lot of psychobabble designed to sell drugs and therapy sessions.

I have an MFP addiction. I need serious therapy and meds. stat.
    Oh and some of that Ben & Jerry's up there. What? I'm stressed. I need ice cream when i'm stressed. :glasses:
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Bolded: A good definition for moderation.

In fact, your entire reply is an argument for moderation. You don't completely abstain yet you continue to lose weight. That's moderation right there.

You're practicing what you preach against.

Basically what you are saying is that failed abstinence is moderation. Well, OK, but that's not what I'm really setting out to do.

To me, moderation means eating whatever you want whenever you want in controllable portions that keep you in your daily calorie goal. I can't do that. Or rather, I very, very seldom am able to do that.

Here is a very apropos article that came out today:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/07/health/weight-loss-tory-johnson/index.html?hpt=hp_c4
    No cheat days: While many diets prescribe a weekly day off for good behavior, I knew that didn't work for me. I'd wait until my cheat day arrived, eat every offender I could find, and before long I'd be back to eating with abandon full-time.

I now think that rewarding anyone trying to lose weight with a cheat day is akin to telling an alcoholic he can celebrate a month of sobriety with a beer. It doesn't work. If I could handle moderation, I wouldn't have been fat in the first place.
    got up to 260 without giving a crap about food. not addicted ever.

If you don't give a crap, you aren't addicted. Part of the definition of addictive behavior is behavior that you want to try to stop but cannot. If you aren't trying to stop the behavior, you aren't addicted.
    i was never ADDICTED to food... i just liked it and didnt care... an addiction, like smoking would have withdrawl symptoms, which i never experienced when moderating my food... i just enjoyed drinking a case of corona beer, eating a few candy bars, and an entire bag of flaming hot cheetos for dinner... addiction? no... careless and lazy? YES!

Only physiological addictions have withdrawal symptoms like you are thinking of. When a gambler quits gambling they do not suffer physiological withdrawal symptoms.
    I've never had P.F. Chang's, but generally when we get Chinese take-out, I stuff myself, have a beer with it, and couldn't possibly eat another bite until the next day. (This is dinner, mind you.) In my life, I have never desired a dessert after eating Chinese food. (A fortune "cookie" doesn't count as dessert, btw.) Chinese is just about my favorite kind of food though...

Like I said, it's not about hunger, it's about pleasure.

It's worth noting that in none of your pictures do you appear to be so now, though. How much did you weigh at your heaviest?
    I was obese and am not anymore. Don't and never did believe in food addiction either

How much did you weigh at your heaviest?
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I find it very sad that this forum is a place where people come to for support in dieting to bolster their willpower but when people voice the fact that they don't have any they get ridiculed for it.

And I think it's strange that people with eating disorders like anorexia or bulemia are not belittled for their lack of willpower to force themselves to eat. All they have to do is decide to eat, right?
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    <~~~~~~~~THIS GIRL <3's SUGAR!!!

AND you are skinny!!
  • vjw221
    vjw221 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I find it very sad that this forum is a place where people come to for support in dieting to bolster their willpower but when people voice the fact that they don't have any they get ridiculed for it.

And I think it's strange that people with eating disorders like anorexia or bulemia are not belittled for their lack of willpower to force themselves to eat. All they have to do is decide to eat, right?

I don't think you're reading the same thread as me. You came in talking about will power and food addictions neither of which have anything to do with the act OP thread on Sugar and the fact that it in and of itslelf is not the issue. the issue is a person relationship with sugar. which can lead to a will power problem but still that's not the point. sugar does not make you fat and stayinf away from sugar does not make you lose weight.

are there addictions yes. are there people with food addictions? yes. are people who are overweight automatically addicted to food? no.

at the end of the day it is not what we eat but how we eat that makes us overwieght or underweight or whatever else. it's our emotional, mental , physical relationships with food that cause problems not the actual food. .
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I've never had P.F. Chang's, but generally when we get Chinese take-out, I stuff myself, have a beer with it, and couldn't possibly eat another bite until the next day. (This is dinner, mind you.) In my life, I have never desired a dessert after eating Chinese food. (A fortune "cookie" doesn't count as dessert, btw.) Chinese is just about my favorite kind of food though...

Like I said, it's not about hunger, it's about pleasure.
    [/quote]

Well for me, it is *NOT* "pleasurable" to continue eating when my stomach is as full as can be. I did that once at a buffet about ten years ago. Pain and vomiting are not things I find pleasurable. *shrugs*
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I think it's strange that you are comparing an overeating problem to anorexia/bulimia.
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Why do I love Saturdays??? I wake up to an Apple Fritter AND a lemon filled donut, every Saturday. My husband gets them nice and early for me when they are fresh! Then, later on, I usually have skittles... taste the rainbow... I love skittles!!! My weight loss has not been hindered by my LOVE AFFAIR with sugar!

Oh GOD... and the oreo truffles I made this weekend... yeah... they are already gone...

There are no skittles better than sour skittles! Oh, and I think after all this oreo talk, I'm going to get some after lunch. :-D

YEAH, ESPECIALLY SINCE THEY RUINED THE ORIGINAL BAG REPLACING THE LIME WITH GREEN APPLE!!! and yes, I am yelling!

I hate green apple flavored things! Why would they do that to Skittles?! I do love the new Darkside Skittles though!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    In...

...because I have a compulsion to read threads w/ the word "sugar" in the title.

bahahahaha you too?

Dare I say, you have a sugar thread addiction?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

People with anorexia do not lack self-control. AT ALL. It's also not at all just about deciding to eat. That was a pretty epic messed up thing to say. I would take it back, if I were you.

:flowerforyou:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It's worth noting that in none of your pictures do you appear to be so now, though. How much did you weigh at your heaviest?

It's really not worth noting. I stated that I was clinically obese. You shouldn't need pictorial evidence of my high weight but to answer your question, I was in the mid 190s. I started to lose weight long before i was introduced to this site and I was not a fan of having my picture take for the years I was clinically obese.

But what's the point of even asking this question? Are you suggesting that maybe I was never "fat enough" to qualify my making the claim that I have never considered myself addicted to food?