I'm kind of appalled...

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I feel really bad for the kid - asking her about it was probably embarrassing, or it's going to be so when she is older and remembers that an adult questioned her about her lunch. I used to get that a lot from the school volunteers and lunch ladies when I was a kid and my lunch would consist of a piece of bread, a bag of candy, and a Diet Coke. My parents were neglectful and we never had food. That my parents packed that food was bad enough, but I didn't need the judgement of some random adult in the school.

If you have a problem with the kid's lunch, ask the parents. Not the kid. The kid doesn't need that.

I am sorry that you were neglected as a child. But no, I didn't say a single word to the kid or any other kids. She asked me to try the chicken so I gave her half of it and that was that.

Seriously, you think the kid couldn't read your expression? You think she didn't notice you talking to the other adults about it? Kids aren't stupid.

Ok. Here's a flower. :flowerforyou:
  • thursdayswoman
    thursdayswoman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Oh, excuse me. The OP just opened the kid's lunch and then proceeded to gossip with the lunch ladies about it. You think the kid didn't notice?

The child was no where near when I asked the teacher later if that was normal. I seriously think you're delving into your own personal issues here and imagining a scenario that didn't happen.

Have fun feeling superior for judging a family that you don't know and exposing the child to embarrassment.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I almost sent my kid to school with a ham sandwich on moldy bread this morning. That would have been awesome.

pre emptive strike to fight any infection - the perks to using moldy bread!
  • brandyla78
    Options
    should have never given her that junk to begin with then she wouldn't be a "picky eater" picking terrible things to eat. Ridiculous.
    Spoken by someone who has never truly known or been a picky eater.

SPOKEN by someone who was raised to eat it or be hungry. Guess what...I may not have liked it but as long as I was hungry I would eat it or just stay hungry. I don't bring that junk home for my kids...if they are hungry they will eat what we have...and it's not junk food. It's time for parents to be about parenting....can you HONESTLY say you'd feed your children M&M's and crap food KNOWING the results of that lifestyle can seriously harm them rather than "fight the battle" of buying good nourishing foods and them growing up on healthy stuff. 95% of the time how/what children will or won't eat is learned. Yes I am aware of allergies and behavioral issues that cause some children to not tolerate certain foods but if you didn't ever feed her M&M's I'd be willing to bet she would have eaten something else.
  • Liss_Bee
    Liss_Bee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I pack a good lunch for my daughter and most of it comes back. She wont eat bread or most meat so I tried other alternatives and she still turns up her nose. Fruit not a problem, most veggies are ok with her but no grains or protein =S

Her lunch today: Cheese stick (according to her they taste different then real cheese), pretzels, peach slices, two mini pumpkin muffins (I found a recipe off here for but we added white chocolate chips and made 48 of them 60 calories a piece!) and Capri Sun. Not horrible, but still no protein.

OHHH, was going to say, don't always judge the parents.... most of us try, but some children are stubborn.
  • This43IsNotMe
    This43IsNotMe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was a kindergarten teacher for 8 yrs before leaving to stay home when i had my daughter...you'd be amazed at what people pack in their kids lunches! Then they wonder why they seem ADHD, maybe giving something other than soda and ho-ho's for lunch would be a start...than let's judge. It makes a huge impact on a kids day!
    Not to mention the parents that just don't pay attention...if your kid has half a handcuff and a suppository frozen to their sandwich...just saying, i have seen it all. Yes, that was a very ackward call to the parents!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I feel really bad for the kid - asking her about it was probably embarrassing, or it's going to be so when she is older and remembers that an adult questioned her about her lunch. I used to get that a lot from the school volunteers and lunch ladies when I was a kid and my lunch would consist of a piece of bread, a bag of candy, and a Diet Coke. My parents were neglectful and we never had food. That my parents packed that food was bad enough, but I didn't need the judgement of some random adult in the school.

If you have a problem with the kid's lunch, ask the parents. Not the kid. The kid doesn't need that.

I am sorry that you were neglected as a child. But no, I didn't say a single word to the kid or any other kids. She asked me to try the chicken so I gave her half of it and that was that.

Seriously, you think the kid couldn't read your expression? You think she didn't notice you talking to the other adults about it? Kids aren't stupid.
    Seriously?
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    You met my daughter today?? Such a small world! :noway:
  • flee228
    Options
    Being Judged, sometimes make people make better choices ! The problem today is that we don't judge enough!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Maybe the kid eats the sandwich before lunch...

Perhaps before school, could be.

My kids do that quite often, and have been known to bring food home at the end of the day to eat as a snack.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    should have never given her that junk to begin with then she wouldn't be a "picky eater" picking terrible things to eat. Ridiculous.

SPOKEN by someone who was raised to eat it or be hungry. Guess what...I may not have liked it but as long as I was hungry I would eat it or just stay hungry. I don't bring that junk home for my kids...if they are hungry they will eat what we have...and it's not junk food. It's time for parents to be about parenting....can you HONESTLY say you'd feed your children M&M's and crap food KNOWING the results of that lifestyle can seriously harm them rather than "fight the battle" of buying good nourishing foods and them growing up on healthy stuff. 95% of the time how/what children will or won't eat is learned. Yes I am aware of allergies and behavioral issues that cause some children to not tolerate certain foods but if you didn't ever feed her M&M's I'd be willing to bet she would have eaten something else.
    And, again, you have NO IDEA.

I was a very picky eater. I would go days without eating if it was between that or eating something I didn't like.

In fact, my parents were vegetarians when I was born and they had to start eating meat again because I would starve myself rather than eat the vegetarian meals.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options

I doubt any 5 year old is paying any attention to adult talking to each other.

You act as if this is how you pack your childrens lunch, maybe you do.

You mad?
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Oh, excuse me. The OP just opened the kid's lunch and then proceeded to gossip with the lunch ladies about it. You think the kid didn't notice?

The child was no where near when I asked the teacher later if that was normal. I seriously think you're delving into your own personal issues here and imagining a scenario that didn't happen.

Have fun feeling superior for judging a family that you don't know and exposing the child to embarrassment.

Ahhhh the sociologist/bleeding heart. There's one in every crew.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, it seems that you've had a bit of a reading comprehension fail. I've bolded the parts you seemed to have had trouble with in the hopes that you understand better.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Have fun trying to overanalyze this situation and figure out how this could have scarred the kid for life.......oh.....and judging random people on the internet that you don't know.
  • Liss_Bee
    Liss_Bee Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Everything in moderation is ok. My kids are allowed junk food on Friday night movie night, my sister never allows her kids junk food. When her boys get it they over indulge, mine never over indulge. Maybe there is something to be said about everything in moderation eh? Just my opinion.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, it seems that you've had a bit of a reading comprehension fail. I've bolded the parts you seemed to have had trouble with in the hopes that you understand better.

Beat me to it...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Oh the irony. Pot meet kettle. You're judging her for judging? :huh:
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about what people do with THEIR kids. I hate when people shove their unwanted noses in other people's business. If a kid wants to have a purple drink, let them. -.-

As a fellow member of the human race EVERY childs health and safety is my business. Man I hate cowardice disguised as apathy.
This discussion has been closed.