I'm kind of appalled...

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    you know this is an interesting post. I was reading a journal article once and it did a break down of the nutrition provided by USDA school lunch program and home brought lunches. In all aspects the USDA was superior. Lower in calorie, sugar, and fat. Higher in phytochemicals, calcium, and iron. Most home lunches are prepackaged with sugar juices and candy. You almost never see anything green in a lunch. I know its a time issue too much easier to grab a lunchable, capri sun, and some kind of candy then actually prepare a lunch.

I remember working as a nutrition camp counselor one year and ever single kid had some strange processed blue food in their home made lunches. Say what you will about the school lunch program, but at least I can guarantee that the kids who get that meal will get some variety and balance.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    *****snacked!!

Derived from the term *****-slapped. You know you’ve been *****-snacked when someone points out that you’ve provided one of your kids with inadequately nutritious food.

Just last week I picked Sid up from school. The whopping six minutes that she spends at nursery school had once again flown by and I was once again on the late side of pick up. Her wonderful teachers are waiting with her and hand me her backpack.

“Sidney loved that cookie bar you gave her today.”

Cookie bar?

“… so much so that she didn’t eat a bite of her sandwich.”

I look at Sid. “What is a cookie bar and how did it get in your lunch?”

“It’s a power bar. I put it there.”

I smile sheepishly at the teachers. Why kind of crappy-*kitten* mother doesn’t know what’s in her preschooler’s lunch?

“Oh, and let’s leave the pacifier at home next time, right Sidney?”

Pacifier?

“I stuck that in, too,” Sid says.

Her teacher kneels down next to her and asks her if she wants to box up all her pacifiers and send them to a needy baby. Sid winks at me, as if to say, “I can’t believe people still try this.”

What I want to tell the teacher is that Sidney is a fifth child and is therefore lucky to be fed at all, even ****ty little power bars. And I’m so worn out, that if she wants to walk down the aisle with a pacifier jammed in her face, I’m cool with it. Really. She has kept us up for seventeen nights in a row with a delightful blend of night-terrors, move anxiety and general two year old *****iness. Honey, I am done.

Here’s what I also want to say: I JUST SURVIVED SEVEN YEARS IN SEATTLE WITHOUT GETTING *****-SNACKED ONCE! HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT I GET *****-SNACKED IN THE BRONX! I’M THE MUM WHO SCREWED UP THIS MORNING’S OATMEAL BY GOING OVERBOARD WITH THE CHIA SEEDS! THAT’S RIGHT, CHIA SEEDS! (Consequently, I was going to redeem myself yesterday, which was Sidney’s designated day to bring in fruit for the class. I’d show them what kind of mother I really am. But yesterday morning rolled around and I’d completely forgotten. I remembered minutes before school started and the only fruit we had in the house was a leftover bushel of apples from our apple-picking outing last week. I threw Sid in the car and we raced over to the A&P, which is disgusting and only sells fruit that looks like it’s been grown in someone’s toilet in the Bronx. I guess it’s at least local…)

But I say none of that. I’m so glad that Sid has somewhere to go that isn’t with me, even if it is only for 6 minutes, that I’m willing to be *****-snacked every day of the school year. I smile at her teachers, who I really do adore. I give an extra big grin to Virginia. Sid can’t pronounce her name, and calls her Vir-ginger, which is a whole lot better than the name the kids suggested at home.

I’ll keep that to myself.

http://thisisthecornerwepeein.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/*****-snacked/
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm throwing in my 2 cents from an entirely different point of view.

I work in a school in the inner city and many of our families are very poor. We frequently have children coming to school with lunches that are packed with unhealthy items purchased at the dollar store. The grocery stores in the area rarely have the high quality fruits and vegetables that you would find in the middle class areas. Parents also have to buy as much as they can with what they have, and make it last as long as possible; fruits and vegetables don't often fall in this category because they go bad quickly.

This isn't a judgement or opinion, this is a fact. And the children suffer.

Please don't judge; see if there's a way to help instead. Maybe a child having one nutritious meal will make all the difference in the world to that child.

I do completely agree with you here, in this case circumstances are different. I'm honestly impressed with some of the new programs we have in our state for subsidized lunch... the form is semi-painful to fill out, but the school helps and your child can receive reduced or free lunches. Hot lunch can be one of the healthiest meals a kid will see each day...
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Our nation is obese. Our children are obese. Get with the program, people - sometimes judging is necessary!

All I have to say about that is...SUGAR ANYONE?
    Throw some cheese sticks in there...fresh fruit...IDK! There has got to be healthier options that this little girl will eat!

Kind of appalled?
    I am thoroughly so!

:mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You know, I can see both sides of this issue. I pack my kids' lunches (well, the 10-yr, the 14-yr stopped taking her lunches so I just let her figure it out, and she is my picky eater).

They also have reduced lunch so hot meals are an option. They still want the packed lunches. I haven't seen a lunch menu in years, but when I was growing up, the food was poor quality. Of course, there was a time when they got free lunch, and I forced them to eat the school's lunches. For the most part, I just assumed that they were at least getting nutritious food if not good quality food. And besides, on a budget, you can't beat free.

Then, I realized something interesting. My kids' were getting candy from teachers IN THE CLASSROOM. So my views on lunches as a parent is I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. I can make my kid eat school food, but they will get junk from the teacher. I can pack a uber-mega-healthy lunch, but the food will probably come home. Or I can try my best to provide them with a meal I find acceptable.

I always put a protein in there, usually a lunchable or a sandwich, veggies or fruit where possible, and a sugary treat. This is my idea of moderation because for the most part, this is what my lunches looks like. I'm pretty okay with that.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    This makes me think of high school when I chose to purchase a giant cheese filled pretzel, a cookie and sugary drink instead of using the lunch meal ticket that I was entitled to because of my mom's income.

I was embarrassed to go on the lunch line and use the ticket. I was also 16 and not concerned with nutrition or health.

To everyone saying that this woman is "judging"... I don't see it that way. More like she saw a problem and became concerned. Nothing wrong with that.

To all the "picky eater" comments. Are you for real? Sorry. Hate to sound like this, but back in my day.. you ate what was made or you didn't have anything at all. I feel like parents are more "soft" today then they were back then. You can't tell me ALL of this little girl's options had been exhausted and the only thing left is that crap. Doesn't sound like the parents are trying.

And IF the parent's are hard on money and can only afford the junk (which people claim is cheaper), then the solution would be for the school to encourage these parents to sign up for the free/assisted lunch program.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Our nation is obese. Our children are obese. Get with the program, people - sometimes judging is necessary!

Throw some cheese sticks in there...fresh fruit...IDK! There has got to be healthier options that this little girl will eat!

Kind of appalled?
    I am thoroughly so!

:mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble:

Good thing fresh fruit is devoid of sugar
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about what people do with THEIR kids. I hate when people shove their unwanted noses in other people's business. If a kid wants to have a purple drink, let them. -.-
    If this was my kid she would have called you a bi$*h. Just be glad there was no cocaine in the lunchbox and do your volunteer thingy!!!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Stop worrying about what people do with THEIR kids. I hate when people shove their unwanted noses in other people's business. If a kid wants to have a purple drink, let them. -.-
    If this was my kid she would have called you a bi$*h. Just be glad there was no cocaine in the lunchbox and do your volunteer thingy!!!

Cocaine Lunch.

Fine.

priscilla-hair-flip-o.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    This makes me think of high school when I chose to purchase a giant cheese filled pretzel, a cookie and sugary drink instead of using the lunch meal ticket that I was entitled to because of my mom's income.

I was embarrassed to go on the lunch line and use the ticket. I was also 16 and not concerned with nutrition or health.

To everyone saying that this woman is "judging"... I don't see it that way. More like she saw a problem and became concerned. Nothing wrong with that.

To all the "picky eater" comments. Are you for real? Sorry. Hate to sound like this, but back in my day.. you ate what was made or you didn't have anything at all. I feel like parents are more "soft" today then they were back then. You can't tell me ALL of this little girl's options had been exhausted and the only thing left is that crap. Doesn't sound like the parents are trying.

And IF the parent's are hard on money and can only afford the junk (which people claim is cheaper), then the solution would be for the school to encourage these parents to sign up for the free/assisted lunch program.

Eat this or Don't Eat ANYTHING! Eventually you'll get hungry and you will finally eat this food that you apparently find so awful you'd opt to not eat at all rather than put it in your moth! Doing this makes me a good 'not soft' parent and doesn't sound even slightly like torture!
  • rieann84
    Options

Eat this or Don't Eat ANYTHING! Eventually you'll get hungry and you will finally eat this food that you apparently find so awful you'd opt to not eat at all rather than put it in your moth! Doing this makes me a good 'not soft' parent and doesn't sound even slightly like torture!

Are you trying to make the case for giving into your child's every demand? Because it's not working. All i'm saying is that my mother never showered me with M&Ms when I refused to eat her meatloaf. And I'm alive today.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm not concerned that the girl was eating fruit snacks and M&Ms. I'm concerned that there wasn't SOMETHING filling and sustaining in her lunch. There should've at least been a sandwich.

I used to have a different attitude about this sort of thing.

When I was in elementary school (public school but small, rural community, so not a ton of students), they would make even the kids who brought their lunches go through the cafeteria line and have their lunch "inspected" by one of the workers. I used to have a real problem with this because I felt like if my parents thought my lunch was good enough, then I shouldn't need to get the "approval" of anyone from the school.

Now that I'm old enough to know that not all kids have good parents, I'm fine with it. Some parents allow their 5-year-olds to pack their own lunches and don't bother to oversee the process. And some parents don't see to it that their kids even HAVE a lunch. Or breakfast or even dinner..

I am not okay with the schools deciding what parents may and may not send with their own kids for lunch, but I definitely see the need for the school to keep an eye on what the kids are bringing so that if there is a situation of neglect or abuse going on, they can nip it in the bud sooner rather than later. The kids themselves are never going to say anything, out of sheer embarrassment or fear of getting their parents in trouble.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    We have the rule that you try everything, and if you really don't like it, you don't need to eat it... you have more of something else (sides, whatnot). I'm an adventurous cook, and if some random tilapia piccata isn't up his alley, that's ok. He's 7. But he's also not a picky eater... He cleaned his room in record time so that I would make him roasted asparagus as a treat. He's in love with salmon, veggies, fruit... Heck, he cleans and peels raw shrimp with me b/c he loves to cook, for crumb sake.

I know my son hates eggs & mushrooms. I don't make them for him, & he certainly doesn't have to eat them. But that's about it. I'm sincerely blessed to not have a very picky eater.
  • Achrya
    Options

Are you trying to make the case for giving into your child's every demand? Because it's not working. All i'm saying is that my mother never showered me with M&Ms when I refused to eat her meatloaf. And I'm alive today.

I'm saying there's a middle ground between 'eat whatever you want' and 'Don't eat anything at all'. I don't believe in either extreme, but thanks for assuming.

I didn't eat dinner for over two months because my mother took the stance of 'You eat what is here or you don't eat'. Two months without dinner because my mother, instead of being an adult and working with her child, decided to be just as stubborn as a child and wouldn't 'soften'. You're the adult, you're the one with (I hope) a fully developed brain and reasoning skills, the burden is on you to make it work.

What do you think is accomplished by "eat this or nothing at all'? Do you think that fosters a healthy relationship with food? Do you think it teaches your child to compromise? Do you think it'll be make them a healthier better person in the long run?
  • rieann84
    Options

I'm saying there's a middle ground between 'eat whatever you want' and 'Don't eat anything at all'. I don't believe in either extreme, but thanks for assuming.

I didn't eat dinner for over two months because my mother took the stance of 'You eat what is here or you don't eat'. Two months without dinner because my mother, instead of being an adult and working with her child, decided to be just as stubborn as a child and wouldn't 'soften'. You're the adult, you're the one with (I hope) a fully developed brain and reasoning skills, the burden is on you to make it work.

What do you think is accomplished by "eat this or nothing at all'? Do you think that fosters a healthy relationship with food? Do you think it teaches your child to compromise? Do you think it'll be make them a healthier better person in the long run?

You're totally putting words in my mouth. And, if you take a look at my original post, you'll see that I find it hard to believe that all this little girl's options had been exhausted and all that was left was the junk. Meaning..clearly her parents didn't get creative and try different healthy things with her. Which is what i'm advocating for.

Don't take out your childhood traumas on me.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I agree with all of this. But my daughter is Asperger's and you almost have to compromise on many issues... food being one of them.

And may I also add that I eat M&M's almost daily, I'm completely healthy and lost 90 lbs doing it.

However, the OP's complaint was that this child's lunch was all junk food, and that's not moderation either.
  • Achrya
    Options

You're totally putting words in my mouth. And, if you take a look at my original post, you'll see that I find it hard to believe that all this little girl's options had been exhausted and all that was left was the junk. Meaning..clearly her parents didn't get creative and try different healthy things with her. Which is what i'm advocating for.

Don't take out your childhood traumas on me.

You didn't say this:
    To all the "picky eater" comments. Are you for real? Sorry. Hate to sound like this, but back in my day.. you ate what was made or you didn't have anything at all. I feel like parents are more "soft" today then they were back then.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Kind of appalled?
    I am thoroughly so!

Good thing fresh fruit is devoid of sugar

Fruit sugar is special and completely different than other sugar.

(I learned this on MFP.)

And before "but fiber", I eat my table sugar with whole grain cereal so same.
  • rieann84
    Options
    You didn't say this:
    To all the "picky eater" comments. Are you for real? Sorry. Hate to sound like this, but back in my day.. you ate what was made or you didn't have anything at all. I feel like parents are more "soft" today then they were back then.

OMFG... yes, I said that. It was a comment on how things went for me, personally, as a child and how I grew up just fine. I never said every parent should adopt this rule. It was also my opinion that parent's seem more soft today then they were back then.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Soooo.... How's everyone doin? We all OK? Blood pressure stabilized? M&Ms acquired?
This discussion has been closed.